Dirty Pair Fan Fiction ❯ Legacy ❯ Chapter 1

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: I own none of the characters from Dirty Pair, DP Flash or Adam Warren’s Dirty Pair, I’m only borrowing them for awhile. I’m also mixing and matching them a bit.

Dirty Pair: Legacy

The Lovely Angel III slid into place gracefully, the modified light craft moving through the asteroid fields easily. “All right,” Kei said as the redheaded pilot pushed her blonde streaked bangs from her eyes, “looks like we’re here.” The boyishly dressed young woman unhooked herself from her seat, her red vest and matching shorts clinging to her body.

Beside her a woman with long, purple hair unhooked herself, her mostly white clothes giving her a more feminine look. “So this is what’s left of the Worlds Works and Welfare Agency’s bioresearch labs?” Yuri asked, moving gracefully through the zero gravity environment by Kei’s side.

“That’s what the data Chief Poporo got said,” Kei replied as she slipped a transparent extra-vehicular action sheath on over her usual gear. “We’re here to check if it’s true and recover whatever data we can from the systems.”

As Yuri pulled her own EVA suit on she frowned, “Does anyone know what happened to the planet?”

“The records were lost,” Kei shrugged, clearly not caring too much why as she and Yuri pulled on the equipment packs for the salvage job ahead. They moved to the hatch as she strapped her usual pistol to her leg, “Let’s go.”

“Right,” Yuri nodded, loading up a bloody card and energy sword into pockets on the outside of her own suit.

Once upon a time, they wouldn’t have been getting along as well, but several years of working closely together had worn away a few of the rough edges. Yuri still called Kei a thoughtless savage at times, and Kei reminded Yuri on how flighty she could be, but both women knew it was all in fun. They had each saved the other enough times to know how important they really were to each other.

Together they coasted through the rubble to the wreckage of the central facility, so heavily armored it had actually survived the destruction of the planet around it. Kei studied the access port in frustration a moment, then willingly let Yuri take over, the other woman drawing a code breaker from her backpack then coaxing the unit to open.

“Is that an air lock?” Kei blinked as they entered a small chamber built just inside the main doorway.

“I think so,” Yuri agreed as both young woman looked for controls. As Kei slammed the hatch shut behind them they heard a click, then a loud hiss as air filled the chamber.

“Is it...?” Kei started, frowning.

Yuri checked a device mounted on her uniform’s wrist, eventually nodding as she said, “Standard oxygen blend, we can breathe it.”

“Good, I was starting to sweat,” Kei said as she pulled her EVA suit off once more.

“Like you’d notice,” Yuri smirked.

Kei sighed, “At least I don’t douse myself in THAT much perfume.”

“It’s not that bad,” Yuri visibly bristled. She smiled suddenly and added, “Besides, your cologne is stronger.”

“Sure it is,” Kei said as she floated over to the inner hatch. “Don’t see a lock,” she said as she grabbed the handle, “brace yourself.”

Yuri drew the bloody card, her eyes narrowed, “Go.”

Kei pulled the hatch open, peering into the darkness as she drew her pistol, finger just lightly resting on the hair trigger. “All clear,” she murmured, her eyes quickly adapting to the dark passage up ahead.

“Right,” Yuri answered as they took off, floating down the hall.

The map, superimposed over their corneas for easy reference, lead them through the guts of the base to the cryovaults, the first stop on their little trip. The roof had partially caved in, the scent of preservative gasses fouling the air from broken conduits and some of the chambers burst open in the disaster that had befallen the base.
“Get the computers up and running,” Kei asked as she pushed off a wall into the massive room, “I’ll do a visual inspection of the vault.”

“Oh sure, take the easy job,” Yuri chuckled as she moved to the mostly dark computer system and attempted to restart it.

The chambers resembled the coffins of another era, long tubes of steel topped with glass waiting for someone to revive them. Of course with the destruction throughout the facility there was no way any of the occupants would be revivable, the years would have obviously taken their toll on them.

Kei read the name plates as she floated by, finding herself noting certain ones almost casually. “Shasti, Deidre....” she read aloud, floating along the rows of cases. “Hey Yuri,” she called out.

“Yes?” Yuri answered distractedly as she tried to connect a emergency power module to the computer banks.

“Some of these things still have green status lights on them,” Kei noted with a frown.

“Seriously?” Yuri sounded surprised, “Can you see inside the case?”

Kei moved up a bit, “Give me a moment to wipe off the dust....”

Yuri frowned as Kei trailed off. “Kei, is everything all right?” she called as she finished securing the power connections.

“Yuri,” Kei squeaked as she gazed into one of the chambers, “come look at this!”

Hearing the honest alarm in Kei’s voice Yuri left the warming up computer and sailed over to where Kei was. “What’s wrong?” she demanded as she came to a stop beside her.

“Look,” Kei gestured to the chamber she was standing beside.

Yuri felt a flash of impatience at Kei’s dramatics and peered inside, only to freeze in surprise. The woman inside looked like a older version of Kei herself, lacking the blonde dye and with slightly fuller hair. “Where’s the name?” Yuri made herself ask.

Kei scrambled around to the front where she dusted off the name plate. “Kei,” she said quietly, “her name is Kei.”

Yuri looked down at the frozen Kei, then over at the next chamber, who’s green light indicated it was also running. Nervously she brushed off the glass and fought back another gasp, gazing at her face, maybe a few years older and with dark blue hair.

“We’d better signal headquarters,” Kei said after a moment, “whatever is going on is bigger than we’re prepared for.”

“Right,” Yuri agreed, the two of them pushing off to head back to the now running computer. As they touched down she added, “Just give me a moment here.”

Kei frowned but nodded, “Do you think there’s usable files?”

“Worth while to check,” Yuri took up a space in front of one console and nodded to another, “you want to help, or are you just going to stand there?”

“Yeah, yeah,” Kei grumbled, secretly glad to have something to do rather than thinking about their eerie discovery. “A lot of the data is degraded,” she quickly noted.

“Try a keyword search,” Yuri said thoughtfully, “I’m doing our names.”

“Oh sure, take the easy ones,” Kei muttered as she set up a search on the name ‘Shasti.’ In seconds a series of files came up, partially degraded but still spelling out the very mixed history of a renegade 3WA agent. “Are all these people agents?”

“Looks like it,” Yuri murmured, “I’ve found the other Kei and Yuri’s files....” She took a breath, “Incredible.”

To be continued....