InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Stealing Shadows ❯ Her Return ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha. Keep that in mind for the rest of the chapters! Enjoy.

Her Return

How long had it been since she had dreamed of this moment? Years had come to pass since she had last set foot on this ledge. Staring down at the blackness before her she closed her eyes. Her heart had been torn by the past and present. Every fiber begging for her return and her childhood soul wanting nothing more than to stay in the safety of her mother's home. Time would not wait for her though.

She had accomplished what she needed to. Honored her family by taking top marks on her final exams. Graduating with her friends and even offered entrance to some of Japan's most prestigious institutes. The longing within had become far too great for her to accept any of their offers. Her nights were filled with visions of silver and amber. Her days spent reminiscing on the adventures of her middle school years. Often she found herself wondering what they were doing. Were Sango and Miroku happily married now? Had they been blessed with a family? And what antics had Shippo been up to? How much had he grown?

All thoughts always led to him. Inescapable, his essence had been burned so deep into her core that she knew it could never be removed. So finally she had come to this moment in time. Eyes still damp from her lengthy farewell to her family. It was time to move on. To move on with her life. Venture into the unknown realm of adulthood and return to the one she loved.

Time to begin the first day of the rest of her life.

Eyes fluttered open to again search the black depths of the well. Time waited for no one. Had he waited? They had parted on such open terms, nothing resolved and nothing set in stone. What had he been thinking while she spent the past three years concluding her life in Tokyo? Pushing the pessimistic thoughts aside she threw her other leg over the edge.

One couldn't gain any ground on 'what ifs' and 'maybes'. The sooner she found the truth of what he had been thinking, the sooner she could move on. If worse came to worse she knew she would still have a friend in him if nothing else. She owed it to all of them to try and get back. To provide closure to the void that had grown so wide in the past three years.

Kagome traced a finger over the worn wood on the edges of the shrine. Bracing both palms on the ledge she gave a mighty push and dropped into the nothingness below. The familiar exhilarating rush that she had experienced so many times before was instant. A blissful grin erupted on her face as beads of blue light burst forth around her. Feeling weightless she floated in a blue haze until the tips of her toes touched solid ground once more. The light around her faded, giving away to darkness once more.

Above her, vivid blue skies sparkled, illuminating the soil walls of the long abandoned well. Her vine ladder was still there. She kept telling herself that time waited for no one but right now it was if time was standing still. Tentatively she clutched at the ladder, easing her weight on it to ensure that it held. Gingerly she made her way up, wondering how she had ever lugged that heavy backpack up the steep climb. Well manicured fingers gripped the upper ledge and she gave a mighty 'huff' as she pulled herself up.

Fingers touched warm skin, electricity bolting through her body. Glancing up she saw liquid pools of molten amber.

“Sorry I took so long.” She whispered, half entranced by his eyes and half unsure of the predicament she found herself in. It seemed like just yesterday that she had seen him. Inuyasha stood before her, offering her assistance out of the well. She already had the answer to her dreaded 'what if' questions. One look in his eyes told her all she needed to know. Heard yet unspoken, seen but unrevealed; love radiated from his eyes.

“Baka, where have you been?” Inuyasha had known the moment he stepped foot in the clearing. His precious miko had finally returned to him. For three years he had faithfully checked. Patient and confident in her return he had committed to the periodic visits, never more than a few days apart.

Standing before him now was a vision of beauty and innocence. Kagome had returned home with a purpose. He had waited, allowing her time to grow into what she wanted to become. Knowing how important her family and studies where he could not ask her to stay. Kami, how he had missed her sweet smile and bubbly laugher.

Clutching her hands closely to his chest he tugged her into his frame. This was as close as he would get for now. Propriety was utmost in his mind. Everything had to be perfect if he was to make a go of this. Three years he had punished himself every time he thought of the way he had acted around her. The adolescent jerk with jealous tantrums and poor manners. Over the years he had tried his best to refine himself. Becoming what he thought was someone more appropriate for the kind hearted miko. A little less rash and somewhat more mature, he had developed a greater understanding of what it meant to interact appropriately with others.

Miroku, Sango and even Kaede had worked hard to gather support for him in the village. He had been welcome before as a visitor but it had been different when he voiced the idea of staying permanently. Though not unkind, he had felt the unease amongst the village people. That had changed over time as all had learned to trust their new found protector.

Little Rin had taken up residency with the old miko, but by then the village had become unaffected by youkai. No one thought anything of the odd visits of his full blood brother. Hell, even the tension between Sesshoumaru and himself had dispersed. Though not on perfect terms, they found each other bearable.

So much had changed since she had last been beside him. Drawing a deep breath he took in her sweet aroma. As subtle as the spring flowers, the gentle scent tickled his nostrils and warmed him from the inside out. Had it always been this alluring? He gave her a gentle smile before taking a step back and dropping her hands.

Living there may be one thing but the humans would frown upon him being so forward with their beloved miko. Even though he couldn't detect anyone in close vicinity, you never knew who could be watching. Longing to take her in his arms and show her just how much he missed her, he settled for a quiet walk with her towards the village. He tucked his hands into his sleeves to avoid any temptation of touching her. A miko was a rare and pure being. He wished he had realized that before. He cringed, remembering how he would cart her around like the back pack she had carried. How reckless he had been. He had been her sworn protector yet he had placed her in danger countless times.

“I'm happy you came.” Her soft voice brought him from his self loathing.

“Feh! I've been waiting.” He grumbled, trying to hid his own joy.

Kagome smiled at the faint blush that kissed his cheekbones. Her hanyou hadn't changed. He looked a little older but granted, so did she. They had both aged. She bordered on the edge of her nineteenth year. In human terms Inuyasha would be in his early twenties. Reaching up she tugged at his arm; when he dropped it from his sleeves she grasped on to his hand. Again they walked in silence, contented in the simple contact and the harmony of nature.

“I missed you.” Inuyasha quietly confessed, certain his own face was as red as his fire rat. His earlier intentions that bordered on dragging her into the trees faded as he was overcome by embarrassment. Apparently her effect was still the same on him. He could run head on into any battle with no fear but when it came to anything romantic with Kagome he froze. It had taken every ounce of his courage to get those three words out. The longer he was around her, the more nervous he was becoming.

Gently Kagome squeezed his hand knowing the limb he was standing out on with his confession. Her heart had swelled at the simple statement. She could count on her hand how many times he had referenced any kind of feelings for her. To have the words come from his mouth so shortly after she arrived was amazing. Accustomed to his harsh attitude, it had been the last thing she expected. Perhaps she had pictured him cussing her for being so late.

“I missed you too.” She whispered, resting her head briefly on his shoulder as they strolled along. It was so comfortable, her being at his side. Truly it was as if she had never left. How could it be so easy to just fall back into step beside him. When she had disappeared as the Shikon Jewel was finally dispatched from this world, she hadn't the chance to tell him anything. Never asked for him to wait, never telling him of her true feelings and never guaranteeing her own return. Yet now she had come back only to find her love patiently awaiting her return. The struggles she had endured in her past trips here were a blur now. She thanked the kami everyday that they had chosen her to participate in the quest. For that opportunity had granted her so many other gifts. The chance for friendship and love.

Recognizing the terrain, Kagome knew that they would reach the village soon. Pausing in step she tugged at Inuyasha's hand as he stepped past. Watching as confused eyes trained on hers, she smiled in reassurance.

“Inuyasha... I want you to understand something. I may have left for three years because I needed to finish my schooling and be with my family. I may have been gone for all that time but not one day passed where I didn't think of you and the others. You were always on my mind.” She looked away from his intense gaze, embarrassed about what she was about to admit. “You were always in my heart.”

Inuyasha was beside himself with happiness. His precious miko had just confessed of her feelings for him. He could only stare at her as she turned and continued on the path that led to the village. This was all so surreal. Like the many dreams he had had while he sat high in the branches of Goshinboku. Dreams of Kagome returning, rushing into his arms, crying as she confessed her love. Perhaps it was gentler, more subtle than what he had envisioned but his heart still felt the same. So full and contented knowing that the one person in the world that mattered most to him returned his feelings of affections.

“Inuyasha! Are you coming?” Kagome called out to him as she began the short decent down the hill and into the village.

“Hmph” He grunted before bounding after her like a love sick puppy.

Kagome had just entered the edge of the village, Inuyasha at her heels when the first wave of surprised cheers rang out. Instantly the villagers began to swarm her, gleefully chattering about her return to their homes. Inuyasha pushed slightly against her, protective and dominant as always. His actions did not bother her. Rather she relished the close contact she had gone so long without. She waited in anticipation for the moment she could climb onto his back and feel the freedom of rushing through the forest once more.

Kaede was the first of her former group that found her. The old woman, normally gruff and unbending, had misty eyes as she welcomed her back. Rin popped up behind the elderly miko, wide eyed and rosy cheeked. How she had missed these people. Gathering Kaede into a tight hug, she held on for a good few moments before releasing her.

“Kaede-baachan. It is good to see you well.” Kagome bowed respectfully, finally remembering her manners.

“Aye child, I am most happy with your return.” Kaede smiled at her protége. The elder miko knew her time was running short in this world and hoped that Kagome had returned to take over as head miko for the area. Time would tell though for Kagome was not your typical spiritual leader and her purpose could be entirely different then what Kaede hoped for. Only the Kami knew of one's real fate.

“Kagome-sama, have you returned for good?” Rin happily bounced in front of Kaede nearly knocking the woman over. Inuyasha was there to steady the elder miko, shooting the girl a look of annoyance. Secretly he was holding his breath in anticipation for Kagome's response.

Kagome smiled brightly to the girl, seemingly ignorant of the Kaede's near spill. “Yes Rin-chan. I am here to stay.”

Inuyasha couldn't hide the wide grin that formed on his face. Quickly though he shielded himself with his unmoving mask before anyone saw. Kaede, still at his side, was the only one who caught the momentary expression of happiness on the man's face. She herself smiled inwardly, silently praying for the couple's relationship to blossom into a timeless love.

“Shoo child!” Kaede scolded, sending the exhilarated preteen on her way. “Kagome-chan, I think there are some other's here you surely wish to see. I will take you to their hut.”

“Miroku and Sango?” Kagome thought aloud as she followed Kaede. Now she noticed just how fragile the miko before her was. Kaede moved much slower now, almost wobbling on her legs. Kagome watched as Inuyasha moved up beside her, taking Kaede's elbow in assistance. Proof was before her eyes that time never waited. Suddenly she was very glad that she had not missed the opportunity to see her mentor. Though the miko likely only bordered her mid-sixties, she was very much an old woman in this era. Kaede could have passed on while she was away and she would have never known. Guilt brushed lightly at her for not considering such a thing before.

As they approached a large hut near Kaede's, Kagome smiled at two adorable twin girls playing in the field beside the dwelling. They giggled as Inuyasha walked past before pouncing on him.

“Oi you two, not now!” He growled, but Kagome could see how gentle he was with the pair. She was surprised at how close the girls seemed to him.

“Touchy, Touchy!” One girl whined, eyes misting into big pools of brown. Her bottom lip protruded and she looked like an absolute doll.

“Fine. Just once though.” He grumbled before lifting her and letting her rub his soft, furry ears. Gently placing her down he lifted the other to repeat the process.

“Inuyasha, is that you?” A masculine voice came from inside the hut. “Are my two little angels at it again?”

The flap to the dwelling rustled and suddenly Kagome was staring at the gentle face of her friendly monk. Smiling brightly at the shock on Miroku's face, Kagome waited for her presence to complete register.

“May Buddha be praised!” He whooped before pulling her in his arms and swinging her in a circle. It felt so good to be in the company of her friends. Kagome laughed heartily and his enthusiastic welcome.

“Miroku?” Another voice coming from inside; this one soft and feminine.

Kagome knew that just beyond the thin door mat, her friend and self-adoptive sister waited. Miroku sensed her anticipation and quickly whisked her into his home. She was filled with instant awe with what she saw. Her brave taijiya sat propped against the wall, a tiny gurgling bundle tucked neatly in the crook of her arm.

“Kagome-chan?” The other girl whispered, her eyes shining with unshed tears.

“Sango-chan... you're a mother?” She should have realized that her two friends would have been having children. It was just another unexpected occurrence. As she made her way towards mother and baby, the two toddlers she had seen outside bounded past to settle by Sango's side.

“Don't tell me these two as well!” The miko smirked thinking how perfect this family seemed. Beautiful and content in her new role, Sango was absolutely radiant. Motherhood looked good on the former warrior.

“Miroku and I were blessed with these two a year after you left. Then our son was born a few days ago. Would you like to hold him?” Sango gently passed the tiny bundle to Kagome, stretching after her arms were free. Kagome sat with the precious child, in complete wonder at it's tiny features. She studied his little eyes and nose while Sango stoked the cooking fire.

“He's beautiful Sango. Congratulations.” The baby cracked it's eyes open, cooing softly to her.

“Thank you Kagome-chan. I still can't believe you are here. So much time has passed. Tell us what you have been doing.”
Inuyasha settled beside her, cautiously eying the baby that had hurt his ears greatly for the past few days with it's high pitched wails. Confident the child was in a docile mood, he payed attention to one of the twins who had climbed into his lap. He was used to the clingy creatures, finally understanding why Sesshoumaru had allowed the young Rin to tag along. Little girls were amusing and despite his gruff appearance, he throughly enjoyed the company of the comical duo.

Kagome waited until Miroku was resting beside his wife before she began her explanation on her life for the last three years. A few hours later they were all engaged in stories of each other's lives. The hut was filled with laughter as they enjoyed each other's company. When it was time for the children's nap, Kagome and Inuyasha excused themselves to give the family some quiet time.

Kagome soon found herself in Kaede's herb garden, weeding and tending the fragile plants that meant so much to the quaint village. She hadn't been slacking in Tokyo. Despite being busy with her regular studies, Kagome had picked up optional courses offered at the school and random classes at various institutes that would benefit her upon her return. She had focused on two of what she thought were key areas. Ancient medicine and self defense training. High school had seen her active in the archery and karate clubs.

She had found a natural therapy shop owned by an eccentric old woman who had a knack for all things herbal. There she had learned a great deal about native plants and their medicinal properties. Three years she had trained her mind and body so that she would be well prepared for her return to Inuyasha's time. Her knowledge of herb's far exceeded what she had known before and she was certain she had obtained information even Kaede would not know. The herbs her Tokyo mentor had instructed her on had been researched and studied extensively so she was confident in their use as treatments.

Her body was lean and toned now, making her wonder how she had survived the physical demands of their quest before. She had been an apt pupil when it came to karate, surpassing many other students at her learning levels. Her sensai had granted her special privileges and taught her how to use the katana and wakizashi. Bows weren't always employable in battle and she wanted to be prepared for anything. She had practiced faithfully every night, even through summer to pass as many levels as she could. Between school, kendo, and her natural therapy studies Kagome had been hard pressed for any kind of free time. Her social life had become non existent but it had been worth it. Confident in her newly acquired skills, she knew she would be a strong asset to her group and her village.

Inuyasha had been become bored shortly after she began weeding the herb patch and had gone to assist the village men in the fields. They were busy cultivating the fields in preparation for the spring seeding of their crops. Kagome paused after finishing one row to watch her beloved hanyou. He had shed his top layers in the mid day sun as it had become surprisingly warm for the spring day. She could see the perspiration on his bare chest as he labored to remove a large boulder from the field.

He looked magnificent in the sun's brilliant rays. A demi-god with glossy silver hair and a lean muscular body; she was fixated on his bare torso. Unable to do anything more than stare, she blushed when he looked up and caught her in the act. Giving her a simple wave he turned back to his task at hand. Sighing, she returned to the herbs and after finishing on the perennials she began to work the soil for the annual varieties she would help Kaede plant in a few weeks time.

When the sun began to settle in the sky Kagome set aside her wooden tools and stretched to remove the knots that had formed in her muscles. Kaede had come to help her late in the afternoon and she had learned of what had gone on in the area for the last few years. Kaede had been relieved to hear that she had been planning on 'filling the shoes' so to speak of the elder miko.

For being back in the past for only a day she was already feeling the difference in the area. The village was peaceful and calm. Everyone focused on the upcoming planting season rather than worrying about youkai attacks like they had a few years prior. It was strange how she had so readily fell into the day to day activities of the village.

Wondering if she would have some alone time with her hanyou, Kagome shrugged out of her dress and into proper miko clothes once inside Kaede's hut. Modern clothes had little use to her now as she would not be returning to her own era. Her outfit was wrapped in a bundle and tucked carefully into Kaede's wooden storage chest. Kaede nodded her approval when she looked up from the huge pot of stew she stirred.

Kagome inhaled deeply; mouth beginning to water at the delectable aroma of rabbit stew that drifted through the hut. She had even missed Kaede's home cooked meals. When the stew was ready, the dwelling suddenly filled with children and her friends. Sango again deposited the tiny baby in Kagome's arms before aiding Kaede with their meal. Inuyasha was the last to enter and Kagome felt oddly disappointed that he was again fully clothed.

Still, the lingering effects of her view earlier remained and she blushed just thinking about his strong body. He passed by her, neither of them making eye contact. She shivered when his hand brushed her thigh as he passed. The touch seemed more than coincidental making her head snap up to watch him. He appeared casual enough as he wandered to where Miroku was. When he sat and looked up, her heart skipped a beat. Never had he looked upon her with such a heated gaze. The dark amber gaze gave her butterflies in her stomach and caused her skin to tingle.

Try as she might it was difficult to concentrate on the conversation around her. Her eyes flitted back and forth around the crowd, feigning her participation. Her ears did pick up when Shippo became the topic. Finally she forgot her deviant thoughts as she listened to Miroku.

“When do you expect his return?” The monk inquired to Inuyasha. The hanyou was having no problem keeping up with the conversation, He was beginning to enjoy the way Kagome squirmed in her seat every time he stared at her. He hadn't missed her wandering eyes earlier; the way her cheeks colored as she watched him topless in the fields. Slowly he was finding out that he wasn't the shy and awkward youth from three years before. Something had awakened inside making it far easier to approach such areas. He had felt uneasy when she first arrived but now he chalked it up to the surprise and newness of having her back. The longer he was around her the stronger his possessive side became. No longer did he care what the villager's would say about a hanyou claiming a miko. Every second that passed in her presence had him wanting her more and more. One could compare it to animal instinct. A strong desire to claim what belonged to him. Yes, Kagome was his and only his.

“The fox youkai that passed through the village a few days ago were distant relatives of Shippo. They were going to visit a clan in the mountains so the runt tagged along to pay respects to his family. I'd say he'll be back in a few more days.” Inuyasha stated.

“You let him go off with unknown youkai? What if they weren't family? Shippo's just a child.” Kagome was concerned for her surrogate child. Would he be alright on such a trip without them?

“Was a child Kagome-chan.” Sango offered. “He has grown greatly since you left. Though still young, he is quite capable of looking after himself. I met the youkai myself and I am sure that they meant him no harm. Do not worry about Shippo-kun. He will return just as Inuyasha said.”

“Feh! Quit your worrying Kagome. The 'lil runt will be back before you have a chance to even miss him.” Inuyasha grumbled, jealous of the kitsune that had claimed so much of her time in the past. He wouldn't go easy on the kid now if he pulled the same antics. Shippo would learn that Kagome was his and the kitsune would have to deal with only having her attention for very limit periods of time. His brows furrowed at his next thoughts. The real problem was going to be convincing Kagome the same thing. Inuyasha didn't like to share, even if it was with a member of his own pack.

“Kaede-sama, thank you for the meal. Please join us in the morning for breakfast.” Sango bowed politely to the miko. Inuyasha had been so lost in his jealous thoughts that he nearly missed the departure of the monk, taijiya and their family. Finally, he had been waiting for this moment since he had spotted Kagome from the field. He could at long last have her alone again. After three years of waiting to see her he thought he deserved some solitary time with her.

“Kagome,” Inuyasha called as he came to stand in the doorway of Kaede's hut. When she looked up at him, he grunted and gestured outside. Turning he never bothered to look back to see if she was following. The soft rustling of footsteps behind him was reassurance enough. Silently he walked, ears twitching to pick up the sounds of the village but more importantly the sounds of the forest surrounding them. Youkai threat had been resolved two years ago but it never hurt to investigate your surroundings.

Coming to the edge of the village, he paused to allow Kagome to catch up. Freedom was just beyond the outskirts of the settlement. Spinning around he clasped a hand over Kagome's mouth to silence her startled cries as he swung her under one arm and bounded over the hill. With the village out of sight he adjusted his hold, preferring to carry her with both arms.

“Jeez, you could have warned me!” Kagome huffed, now more comfortable bridal style than being carried under his arm like a sack of rice.

“Feh!”

“Where are we going?” The trees around her became blurry as they sped through the dense foliage. Kami, how she had longed for this. The wind through her hair as she was carried around by Inuyasha.

“You'll see.” He grinned. Their destination was not far. Near the well and special to both of them. He could already see it. The grand branches of the massive Goshinboku. With two more strides he closed the distance and bunching his legs he pushed, sending them both high into the tree.

Settling on his well worn spot, he leaned back, Kagome tucked safely in his lap. Her gasp was instant and he knew this place was perfect. With the sun settled and the full moon illuminating the sky, the stars sparkled tonight with such clarity. She loved the stars, often remarking how much more beautiful they were here compared to her home.

“Inuyasha! They are beautiful!” There were no words to describe the view and Kagome found herself holding her breath as she took in the sparkling canvass.

“Hmmm.” He cared little for the view. All that mattered was who was tucked so delicately in his lap. How many nights had he rested in these branches, longing for her and waiting for Kagome's return. The nights had always been so long and often despair had crept into his soul. He would be lying to say that he had bordered on losing hope so many times. Only his dreams filled with her bright eyes and sparkling smile had bolstered his spirits and granted him the courage and patience to wait another day.

Today he had wondered around in somewhat of a daze. His heart raced with every shy smile she had gifted him as she returned to her roles in this time. He had caught her watching him as he labored in the field only because he had been chancing secret glances at her. She had looked so cute in the herb garden, dirt smudged on the bridge of her nose. The spring breeze had teased her hair, now much longer than before. She had changed so much in the three years. She had grown into an even more beautiful woman. Her glistening black hair rivaled the length of Sango's. Throughout the day he had ample time to take in her older appearance. A change that had him wanting her even more.

“I'm sorry.” Kagome's hushed words grabbed his attention. “I should have tried to send you a message or something. I was being selfish by staying in my time Inuyasha.”

“Feh. I knew you wanted to finish your stupid schooling.” His breath caught in his throat as she shifted so she could look at him. A soft hand brushed his hair from his face.

“I know that you would understand Inuyasha but that is no excuse for staying so long.” Kami he was breathtaking. Kagome was mesmerized by his fierce and untamed eyes; her heart raced when his hand reached up to rest upon hers. Trapped on his cheek, her hand looked so small compared to his.

“You came back didn't you?” He whispered, so very aware of her closeness. He could feel her pulse fluttering on her wrist. He stilled when she leaned in even closer.

“I had to. My heart wouldn't have let me linger there any longer.” Watching as his lips parted in a silent 'oh' she closed the distance between them. Her other hand pressed against his chest as she balanced herself.

Lips brushed in shy wonder as Kagome clung to him. How many nights had she dreamed of this? When she leaned back, heated eyes bore down on her causing a crimson blush to color her cheekbones. She had never been so forward before but the moment had felt so right. The air left her lungs when Inuyasha snaked a strong arm around her waist and pulled her tight against his chest. His other hand threaded through her hair and held her head as his lips crashed down on hers once more. This was so much more than the innocent kiss she had given him.

Inuyasha had been caught off guard by Kagome's kiss. When she pulled away he was left with the most terrifying sense of loss. Unwilling to let their connection end with such a limited connection fleeting touch, he had taken swift action. Beneath his own, her lips felt so soft. Pressing harder, he smiled to himself when her lips parted. Diving into her sweet mouth, he relished the sensual dance of their first intimate moment. When he feared Kagome could breathe no longer he released her. The soft flush of her skin was enough to make him glow with satisfaction.

“I...” Kagome was so flustered she couldn't get her thoughts in order. Feeling overwhelmed with the rush of emotions she wrapped her arms around Inuyasha and buried her face in his neck. Tears of happiness trickled down her face and she was rewarded as her hanyou wrapped her warmly in his arms and held her tight.

Moments passed before the young miko finally was able to control her emotions. Tilting her head she whispered in Inuyasha's ear.

“I love you.”

Silence stretched between them as Inuyasha processed the words. Had he heard her correctly? Was it possible?

“Inuyasha?”

“I...Kagome?̶ 1;

She moved to rest her forehead against his. Knowing very well the conflict that was waging war inside his head she tried again.

“I love you Inuyasha. I loved you from the first moment I saw you,” she giggled thinking about that day, “even if you did try and kill me. Not a day passed in the last three years where you weren't on my mind. Every night my dreams were filled with you.”

“Me too Kagome.” Holding her close once more he breathed in the scent of her hair. “Kami I missed you.”

Kagome smiled as she snuggled into him. That wasn't the same as her confession but she had to remember who she was dealing with. Those three little words she had spoken would take him longer to admit. She was well aware of his feelings and it did not bother her that he hadn't returned the confession. As long as she was finally back in his arms she felt as if she could do anything. His fingers in her hair lulled her into a deep sleep. And once again she dreamed of only him.

X-X-X-X-X

Weeks passed by and Kagome fell into a predictable routine in the village. Today she was tending to the annuals she had planted in the garden. Their tender shoots had just recently pushed through the warming soil. The perennials where greening up nicely and she was proud that she had kept the growing plot free from weeds. Kaede had helped her find some of the herbs she had learned about from her Tokyo mentor and the whole village had lent her a hand on increasing the size of the herb garden. Now twice in size it boasted a large inventory of plants that would aid not only their own village but the surrounding area as well.

Kneeling in the dirt she became lost in her thoughts as she rhythmically pulled the emerging weeds from rows of herbs. Every day she spent with Kaede and Sango, learning and working. Every night she sought refuge in Inuyasha's arms either in the branches of the Goshinboku or more recently at its base. The village was working on a hut for their newest miko but until its completion she would remain in the comfort of nature.

Shortly after her arrival she had convinced Inuyasha to travel to Totosai's to have a daisho commissioned for her. Kagome had wanted her own katana and wakizashi to continue her training with. Despite Inuyasha protesting that he was all she needed for protection, he had eventually relented and set out to the ancient's home.

Returning to her a week later, she had been amazed at the craftsmanship of the two blades. Even more so was the fact that Inuyasha had them created from his own fang. The delicate blades where forged with her in mind. Inuyasha had blushed as she had praised him for his selfless contribution to them. The blades had since rested on her hips becoming an extension of her own self. They were light and easy to wield.

With Sango's pleas she had given the group a demonstration of her new abilities. Each kata she had practiced so many times before was carefully preformed in front of her friends. Upon completion she had been surrounded with great praise from Sango and Miroku. When Inuyasha had finally had his chance to speak she had felt the greatest sense of accomplishment. He had seemed shocked at her new abilities but he had beamed with pride as he held her close.

That night as they sat around the cook fire in Miroku's hut, Kagome told them of her hard work during her absence. She detailed her studies and how she had mentored from a knowledgeable herbalist. She spoke of the long hours at her local dojo and the extra classes her sensai had given her.

I thought you went home to enjoy your youth Kagome. It appears you spent little time as the 'normal girl' you spoke so fondly of before.” Sango had laughed but it her admiration shined clearly in the taijiya's eyes.

Sighing Kagome looked up from her garden. The sun was making great progress across the blue sky. Thinking it would soon be time to break for her mid-day meal, she hurried onto the next row in hopes of finishing up before then. Even though she was working faster on the last row, her mind quickly trailed back to her original thoughts.

A few days after Inuyasha had returned with her swords, Kagome had approached her friend. Though her miko robes were practical for the most part, Kagome worried the loose fabric could hinder her if she needed to battle. Taking a page from Sango's lifestyle, she thought more form fitting clothes that she could wear underneath her regular robes would be well worth her time. Sango had been more than willing to help. After trading some of her medicines for youkai leather, Sango and she had set forth sewing a taijiya inspired ensemble.

Last night they had finally finished the outfit. Sango's own wardrobe had been both the base and inspiration for the newly created miko clothes. Black, pink and white the material was like a second skin. Clinging to every curve it allowed her to move freely as she practiced her martial arts and swordplay. The design was more feminine than Sango's, with cherry blossom's adorning her chest and shoulder.

Clad in her warrior clothing, she had greeted both Miroku and Inuyasha last night. The pair had snuck out during the day and returned as the last rays of the sun dipped below the horizon. Inuyasha had almost lost it when the lecherous hand of Miroku had grazed her backside. Luckily Sango had intervened, knocking Miroku unconscious thus calming the hanyou's rage.

Kagome had found herself being carried away by an irate hanyou. She stared helplessly at the bundle under his arms as he stocked towards the Goshinboku. Underneath its grand branches she was finally released. The package was dropped in front of her as Inuyasha bounded into its branches.

Ignoring his obvious pout she carefully unwrapped the bundle. She gasped when she revealed to freshly polished boots. High and sturdy they were the perfect addition to her wardrobe. Slipping them on she squealed at their comfortable fit and stylish appearance. Underneath the boots were two leather tekkou that would protect her forearms. Thinking Sango had ordered them from a newly established taijiya village, she believed that beneath the leather would be concealed blades. Unsure of how to release the blades she tucked the tekkou arm-guards back in the bundle and made a mental note to ask Sango about them in the morning.

Wrapping the cloth around her newest possessions she had focused on the branches above her. Giggling at the obviously flustered hanyou she had pleaded until Inuyasha jumped down from the Goshinboku.

Kagome flushed in the mid-day sun as she pulled the last weed from her well manicured patch. Yes, last night she had her first encounter with the jealous Inuyasha since her return. Not much had changed in that department. He grumbled and groaned about how inappropriate her clothes were only because Miroku couldn't control his hand. Rather than admitting that he was jealous he would blame her or someone else. Lucky for him she was past that phase in her life, the only thing that had saved him an 'osuwari' was her ability to brush the small things aside now. What could have escalated into a major riff in their relationship had been averted by the quick thinking miko. They had eventually called a truce and snuggled up beside a cheerfully popping fire.

Standing and stretching, Kagome picked up her small gardening tools and began her short trek up to Kaede's hut. No sooner had she reached the main road to the village than she was forced off it by a racing horse. As it flew by, her gaze met the scared eyes of the young boy that clung to its back. Horse and rider were heading straight to the elder miko's hut. Kagome picked up her pace to catch up to the pair. Something was very wrong and she was anxious to find out what.

By the time she reached Kaede's the boy was already being pulled from the saddle by Miroku. Kaede had hurried inside to boil a pot of water. It was clear to Kagome that the child was not well. Perspiration had soaked the boys clothes and when Miroku set the child on his feet, Kagome could see the wide rip in his shirt and the blood that was caked to the material.

“Kami child, what happened?” Kagome began, dropping her tools and rushing to the boy's side.

“Honorable Miko!” The boy whimpered before collapsing. Kagome barely had time to catch him.

Miroku bent to lift the child once again, carefully carrying the light bundle into Kaede's hut. Kagome prepared her medicinal basket while Miroku laid the boy on one of Kaede's mats. Moments later she rested on her knees beside the mat. A quick assessment told her the boy was not seriously injured, most likely fatigue had been the cause of his collapse.

Gently teasing away his dirty clothes, Kagome was appalled at what she found. The small boy's body was covered with dark and ugly bruises. His side had a lengthy cut, likely caused from a small blade. She sighed in relief when she began to clean the wound. Though long, it was not deep and thankfully not infected.

“Who would do such a thing. He's but a child.” She talked to herself as she gently tended to his wounds.

“Something seems off with this Kagome.” Miroku began. “I sense the slightest youki in the area.”

“Feh. You're right Miroku. Something stinks.” Inuyasha appeared in the hut, obviously concerned with the latest development. He took a quick look at the boy before turning his attention back outside. With the door flap drawn open, he leaned against the door frame, his ears twitching. Something was stirring in the distance and he didn't like it.

“The aura seemed to have dissipated shortly after the horse was spotted on the borders of our lands. Perhaps it is the barriers Kaede and I constructed last year. It may have deterred whatever was following this boy.” Miroku stated, joining Inuyasha at the door. He too did not like the dark aura that had pressed against his mind before.

“What ever it is it has left this village alone for now. I have a feeling it will be back.” Inuyasha turned back towards the two miko who were finishing up with the boy.

“Aye, I too felt the evil that raced behind this boy.” Kaede passed the two men, briefly disappearing outside the hut to empty the dirty water. “The child is resting now. We will know more when he rouses.”

Kagome washed herself up in the last bit of hot water. Taking her own water bowl outside to empty she paused to stare out at the horizon. What had been out there, so intent on capturing or killing this small boy? Why was the peace of this area being once again threatened by youkai and just what were they up against?

Inuyasha came to stand beside her, arms tucked in his sleeves. She could tell he was tense as he did a sensory sweep of the area. Staying quiet beside him as he scanned, she watched him carefully for any indication of youkai near them. Her heart settled when he seemed satisfied that they were safe. How long would that last?

With time to kill until the boy awoke, Kagome returned to the hut to aid Kaede with the meal she was preparing. Whatever had threatened this boy would see justice. Kagome was not about to let some monster that could harm a child so, wander the outskirts of her new home. As a miko she was bound to protect all. Her hand rested lightly on the katana at her hip. Unease filled her and the hilt of the sword comforted her somewhat.

Time waited for no one and it seemed her period of rest was over. Kagome sighed heavily as she mentally prepared herself for the trials that were sure to come.


A/N: Thank you Kokoronagomu for your hard work as always. Looking forward to another adventure with you!