Law And Order - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Close to Home ❯ New Partner ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Alyssa was sitting at her desk as Cragen was talking with her new partner.
"Can you try to not scare this one off, please." Olivia pleaded with her 27 year old daughter. "Cragen said he'll have you transferred to Computer Crimes, if you can't get along with this one."
"Yeah, yeah." She waved her hand at her dismissing her comment.
"Hey listen to your mother. We don't want to watch you get canned. Nikkie wasn't your fault but the other three were." Elliot told her.
"Don't you dare talk like you knew Nikkie. I knew she was crazy, I should have stopped her when I had the chance."
"You've been beating yourself up for the past two years about it. She got herself killed, you weren't the one who shot that gun at her instead you were the one who shot the gun at the perp." Olivia slightly shook her shoulders as if it would snap some sense into her. "You saved me then. He shot Nicole and was about to do the same to me." She sighed. "Right now you have a perfect reputation for closing casing but not for keeping partners."
"Yeah that nice guy that came temporarily, a veteran officer at that. You made him retire because of your attitude after half a year. Then that nice girl, you sent her out crying after two months. Then the most recent one, the one everyone thought was going to stay, he didn't deserve what you did to him." Elliot said to her shaking his head. "We've been dealing with trying to find you the perfect partner that you don't scare or threaten away. Right now the two of us are the only partners that can deal with you. Munch and Fin hate it when they have to do a case with you, even Alex hates the thought of putting you on the witness stand."
"Well sorry if I got my old partner killed for my incompetence." She muttered turning her head away.
"It wasn't your fault! Get that through your head!" Olivia told her.
Cragen's door then opened as a young man walked out.
"Brown hair, blue eyes; not that bad looking." Alyssa mumbled as she raised an eyebrow.
"Alyssa meet your new and hopefully last partner, Landon DeLano." Cragen introduced him as she stood up.
"What are you 17?" She asked as Olivia and Elliot sighed in disappointment.
"Here we go again." Elliot mumbled.
"I'm 28 and-"
"27." She answered before he could ask.
"Right." Landon nodded his head. "Well uh hopefully we can get along well and work together sufficiently." He held out his hand.
"What planet did they find you on, Neptune?" She asked as she slightly grabbed his hand and then pulled her hand immediately away. He stood speechless looking at her.
"Keep staring and I might just do a trick." She sarcastically commented as his mouth slightly gaped.
"I uh um, I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I find you ferociously inhuman yet I find that and your looks very attractive." Landon said as the Elliot smacked his forehead and Olivia shook her head.
Alyssa raised her eyebrows as she walked up to him, leaving only centimeters between them.
"Here it comes." Cragen said. "Good Lord that poor kid. I forgot to tell him not to say things like that to her."
"Are you hitting on me Detective DeLano?" She asked.
"I haven't really hit on a woman in a long time so I think I just might have." He timidly said as she circled him.
She licked her lips and she smiled at him; it was quite scary as she was smiling sincerely, at a guy. "No man has ever had the balls to hit on me like that. I like you." She turned around and walked out of the squad room.
Landon turned to the Cragen as he tried to talk but no words came out.
"Congratulations, you have successfully been accepted by your new partner. Good job already." Cragen put a hand on his shoulder.