.hack//SIGN Fan Fiction ❯ Under the Glass Moon ❯ The Moonlit Street ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters from .hack//SIGN.
A/N: This story is an AU with OOC. Tsukasa and everyone else will be "normal" people in the "real" world.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Under the Glass Moon by Lonely Soul
Chapter 1: The Moonlit Street
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A teenage girl with short, sea-green hair ran through the crowded streets of Tokyo. Although a light drizzle rained down on the city, the full moon and stars were clearly visible, making the night sky mixed with the bright, neon lights of the city look even more majestic. Of course, the young girl Subaru didn't notice how mysteriously beautiful Tokyo looked that night. She had just came out of prep school and was running late getting home. Again. She had promised her overprotective brother that she would be home earlier so that he could go to work without having to worry where she was at, but her prep teacher wouldn't let her leave until everyone finished their practice exams.

As she got closer to her house, Subaru rounded the corner of an empty street and accidentally knocked into someone, causing herself to lose her balance and fall hard on her bottom. "Ow.." she winced.

Before Subaru could apologize to the person she had bumped into she heard them say "Are you alright?". She immediately looked up and saw a handsome boy around her age with violet-colored eyes and silver hair standing over her, holding out his hand to help her up. The moon illuminated his features which helped her to get a better look at him. She didn't know what to say. All she could do was stare at him.

They both stayed like that for what seemed like an eternity until the young man decide to disrupt the silence. "Do you need help standing up?" he asked, never breaking eye contact with her as he reached out for her hand.

Finally realizing how long she was staring at him, Subaru blushed a deep red. "Oh no, that's fine. I can--" She never even had a chance to refuse though because he had already lifted her to her feet.

Seeing as how close they were to each other, Subaru quickly let go of his out of embarrassment, stepped away from him a little and bowed her head. "Thank you so much for helping me there. I'm very sorry for not watching where I was going and knocking into you. I apologize."

"You don't need to apologize. I wasn't watching where I was going either," he said with a slight smile. "Were you in a hurry to go somewhere?"

"Well, I was suppose to be home awhile ago, but I ended up running late. I should get going now before my brother kills me," she replied nervously not able to look him in the eye. 'Why is my heart pounding? I don't even know this guy..'

"Yeah, you should get going," he said, looking up at the night sky. "It's pretty dark already and you might catch a cold being in the rain too long. See you later." Those were his last words as walked away.

Subaru could only murmur a small 'bye' as she stared after him. 'Who was that guy?' she thought to herself. 'I wonder where he's going.' The beeping sound of her watch signaling a new hour caught her off guard and caused her to come out of her daze.

"No! It's already 10:30 p.m.," she shouted to herself as she began to run towards home again. She glanced behind her shoulder to see him one last time but only found a deserted street.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


"Hello? Is anyone here?" Subaru said out loud. She had just gotten home and was now locking the door behind her. The house was quiet, but she knew her brother hand to be somewhere inside. While she took off her shoes, she noticed a glow and a slight movement beside her out of the corner of her eye. She quickly turned her head towards it and found herself staring into big red eyes. 'Meow' was what he head coming from the creature. It was just their cat.

"Oh, hey there Maha," she said, picking him up and petting his head. "You scared me there for a second. Where's Kurim? Did he just leave you here all by yourself? That meanie."

"Well well, it seems like you finally decided to come home. What's your excuse this time?"

Subaru was kind of startled by the deep voice, but before she even turned around she knew who it was. She looked over at her brother who was leaning against the frame of the kitchen doorway with a sarcastic smirk on his face. She narrowed her eyes, "What do you mean I finally decided to come home? Prep school ended at 9:45 today and that's why I'm late."

"Okay calm down, I was just kidding," he said with a laugh. "And don't worry, I'm not mad at you either. My boss called up and said I could be there by 11:30 since they weren't too busy tonight."

Kurim grabbed his jacket and put it on as he headed to the door. "Well, I should get going now that you're already here. I made you some dinner, so go ahead and eat. Make sure all the doors are locked before you go to bed too. Later." He waved goodbye to her, closing the door after him.

Subaru waved back, happy to see her brother gone. She looked down at her cat in her arms and with a frown asked him, "He's too overprotective, isn't he, Maha?"

"Meow," her cat answered back as if understanding what she was saying.

The young girl headed to the kitchen, placing Maha on the cool floor and warmed up the dinner she found in the refrigerator. While waiting for her food, she suddenly remembered the guy she bumped into on her way home. 'I wonder where he's from. I've never seen him around here before,' she wondered to herself. 'I can't believe I got all nervous around him. That never happened to me when I was around a guy before, but.. He did have a sort of mysterious aura.'

*Beep, Beep*

The sound of the microwave brought her out of her thoughts. Realizing her dinner was finally ready, she decided to eat quietly without thinking too much about him. But she wasn't able to stop her mind from drifting back to the image of his face when he was staring down at her.

Maha had curled up on her lap while she ate and had fallen sound asleep. Seeing her cat sleep peacefully reminded her of how tired she was, so she finished the rest of her meal and dragged herself to bed with Maha at her side, completely forgetting to check to see if all the doors were locked.

To be continued...

A/N: Well I edited it a little bit. I hope it's better than the first version...