.hack//SIGN Fan Fiction ❯ Wild Kettles Couldn't... ❯ Phase 0 ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Haseo stepped into Mac Anu through the Chaos gate pushing back his light-coloured bangs from out of his eyes.
He had no specific goal in mind today but he had aquired a few new keywords from the message board and wanted to try out some combinations.He walked towards the item shop his heels thumping against the cobble stone streets and marveled at the suprisingly few people in this area today. When he arrived there Haseo bought a few fairy orbs and a health drink (with the money that he hadn't manage to spend on weapons) and the item seller thanked him for his patronage as always.He headed back to the chaos gate and randomizing his word list got a lvl 5 steam-door type dungeon first, started over, and found a lvl 6 forest area.
Haseo then gated there not noticing the eyes that watched him from the doors that led out to the city.

~

Another Dungeon, more training. It had become repetative despite the individuality and details of each dungeon area.
Even so Haseo had been gaining levels like a man possessed and really that was very much like what he was.
He never wanted to be taken advantage of again, never be weak.
He hated feeling powerless, hated it.

~

Haseo rushed into battle straight away. He threw out a few uncoordinated attack moves, used an attack item to down a Vak Fang and performed Ren Gekki on the remaining two.
The barrier dissapated and Haseo ran off looking for another battle, and another.
He hacked his way through the dungeon not stopping to heal once before finally reaching the beast statue.

He opened the chest which contained some fairly nice armour feeling victorious. The excessive battles were showing though and he gripped the sides of the chest breathing heavily as he leaned over.
A sudden wash of green light came over him and his breath evened out. Confused, Haseo looked around to find Shino staring laughingly at him from a few feet away.
He glared at her ungratefully as she approached him.

"Haseo you should really learn to stock up on healing items." She said, smiling. Her 'wings' swayed as she moved forward.

"I have my own strategies." Haseo said harshly and turned back towards the chest, about to use a return item.

"Wait a second," Shino said. "Trade with me."

"What? A Trade, why?" Haseo turned to ask, confused and irratated by his confusion.

"I don't want anything of yours, don't worry." She began. "I have something for you, from Ovan."

"I don't need your charity." Haseo replied though he didn't turn away this time.

"Just take it." Shino just stood waiting placidly as Haseo took his time deliberating.

"Well... If you insist then I suppose I must." Haseo replied finally, voice lilting sarcastically.

The item in question's name was strangly not displayed during the trade.
When Haseo checked his inventory after it showed up as a question mark.

"What is this thing?" Haseo asked, incredulous.

"I don't know." Shino told him shifting her stance and tilting her head thoughtfully, her pastel rose-coloured hair falling to splay across one pale cheek.

"Ovan said it was an 'event' item. That it would unlock when certain factors were present." She smiled at him again.

"Ha said you would be likely able to line up those factors."

"Trust that guy to never give a straight answer..." Haseo mumbled under his breath at her explaination and tried to use his return item again.

"Wait!" Shino exclaimed.

"What is it now?" Haseo asked becoming impatient with her and all the mystery surrounding the Twilight Brigade to which she belonged.

"Good luck on your travels!" Shino said melodiously, smiling yet again.

Haseo's eye twitched and he finally used the item, then gated to Mac Anu.