Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Land of Kiwi ❯ Stuck in Kiwi ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

My Toy
 
Disclaimer: I don't own ATLA.
 
Chapter 1: New target
 
In a world, dislocated from Earth, was another band of humans. Together, they lived in harmony. Amongst them were the few chosen ones, blessed with the power of super strength or to bend either water, earth, air, or fire. And those who weren't were just normal. No different from the inhabitants of Earth.
 
One law that reigned above all was to never use these blessed powers for evil intentions, like war. What made the changes in the bodies of these humans? What makes them so different from the bodies of the humans of Earth?
 
No one knows. But it is certain that unless they learn to control their powers, chaos and havoc would wreak their tiny world. And so, the school built especially for training young benders and fighters, became flooded with children, all who contained wild magic within their bodies. But they're children. What can they possibly do in the tiny elementary Kiwi?
 
--
 
I scrunched my nose at the plate of brown and oozing so called cafeteria food staring back at me. Well I guess you can't expect too much from an elementary school. I mean, I did get this “lunch” for free.
 
I work as a janitor at this tiny and notorious elementary school, Kiwi Elementary. If I had a choice, I would not have chosen this great career. But then again, who does? Although your parents were one of the Chosen, their offspring might just be normal. I, of course, didn't have that luck and so, here I am. Surrounded by pesky little adorable kids and, stuck in Kiwi.
 
You just have to laugh at that phrase.
 
“Hey Zuko! Vomit at 3!” blared the dreaded machine, clipped onto my belt.
 
I sighed and got up from my chair, also tiny since it was originally designed for small buttocks. Eying the plate of unknown one last time, I took a step to the door.
 
“Zuko!” yelled the lunch lady, “How many times do I have to tell you?! Clean up after yourself goddangit!”
 
Cringing at the high pitched voice, I slumped back to the table and tossed the plate into the trashcan. The language the staff uses pretty much tells people exactly what kind of elementary Kiwi is. If kids had to grow up listening to words like “goddangit”, you can only imagine what they'll do with those powers of theirs.
 
--
 
“Haha! Did you see old Gyatso? His eyes were this big!” laughed Sokka, imitating his teacher Gyatso by spreading his arms out wide and making circular movements while puffing out his cheek and crossing his eyes. His audience, Aang, Katara, and Toph laughed in pleasure. They had just successfully made their teacher a fool of himself and were now feeling very proud of themselves.
 
“C'mon! Gimme woogie!” shouted Aang, excitement gleaming in his eyes. The four ten year olds huddled around into a circle and stuck their right hand in. Wiggling their fingers in delight, they yelled their motto, “Woogie woogie!” and stepped back, hugging their stomachs, laughing.
 
“Sokka,” said Toph, “you've outdone yourself with that one. I couldn't see it but… coming from the level of laughter in the classroom, I'd say that was one of the finest you've come up with yet.”
 
“Yeah,” agreed Katara, “that was worth going down in history there!”
 
Sokka puffed up his chest proudly and put his hands to his hips and strode down the hallway ahead of the other three. “Why of course. Hello? This is Sokka you're talking about? Greatest scheming person in the world?” Thanks to Sokka, they had accomplished something never done before but only imagined by the majority of the Kiwi students.
 
They had glued Gyatso's butt to his chair.
 
“Oh gosh! Did you see his expression when started to stand up and lifted the chair with him? That was hilarious!”
 
“How do you think he'll leave this cruddy school today?”
 
“Probably has to waddle out of the school doors with the chair glued to his butt.”
 
“Or worse, take off his pants and run off pant-less!” The four kids snickered into their hands and skipped away to lunch.
 
“STOP RIGHT THERE!”
 
The gang skidded to a stop and slowly turned around. There was Azula, stomping towards them, steam literally blowing from the top of her head and fogging up the fun environment.
 
“What'd you do that for? Now Mr. Gyatso will have a hard time going home!”
 
Toph stepped forward from the group, crossed her arms, and glared at where she felt Azula stood. “None of your beeswax. Go back to the old geezer and start comforting him like the teacher's pet you are Aluza. You don't belong here with us.”
 
Azula tried to stay strong, but anyone can tell that her shuddering shoulders and her extremely light-reflecting eyes were a sure sign of breaking down, “Well, at least go back in and say sorry. It's not nice to glue people's b-word onto chairs you know!”
 
Toph was shorter than Azula by practically a head, not to mention the fact that she was blind, but that didn't stop her from earthbending her way to level herself with Azula. “You better watch out Aluza. You don't want to mess with us. Next thing you know, your “b-word” might be glued to the wall. Toph paused and chuckled, “Who knows? Maybe you're already on our waiting list.”
 
And the wall crumbled.
 
Azula's quivering lip opened wide and let loose a loud cry. Brawling her eyes out, Azula ran back the way she came and cried, “Why do you have to be so mean?!?!”
 
Toph shook her head gently as if pitying the poor girl. Does she really have to ask? Everyone knows not to mess with the four evil disciples of Kiwi. They were the ones who dominated the pathetic group of students at Kiwi. They were the ones on the top of the caste system of the school. Hell, they had more power than the principal himself. Sure it looked like Ozai was the head of the staff but actually, the grown ups are nothing more than toys to the four.
 
Toph turned back around and walked on, the three following. “So who do we go for next? A luza?”
 
“Nah.” said Sokka, “She's freakin' boring! Haven't we already played with her too much? It's always the same. You poke her. She cries. You tease her. She cries. Hell, you tap her, she still cries.”
 
“And we have a name for those kinds of people,” said Aang.
 
“Crybaby.” Said the gang in sync. There really was no better term for people like her. You can flip through the dictionary a million times and you still can't find a better classification than that.
 
Katara put a finger to her chin in thought, “But who is there-”
 
Crash
 
Inside Room 3, Zuko had just clumsily knocked over his trash can, spilling whatever vomit he had cleaned up onto his body. He cursed and rose back onto his feet and stared in disgust at what lie on his body. He tried to step over to the trash can to sweep off the stinky substance but once again, slipped and fell back on his back. He lay there for a couple of seconds staring at the ceiling, oblivious to the four pairs of eyes staring at him outside of the door.
 
Silence.
 
Then the screaming began. A stream of curse words came from Zuko's talented mouth as he successfully managed to use a total of 22 curse words in one sentence. He pushed off from the floor and this time didn't slip. Grumbling in distaste and from the smell, he went back to his previous plan of wiping off the vomit.
 
Outside of Room 3, Katara's question had just been answered. They exchanged glances and marched on, snickering into their hands like the devils they are. Who wouldn't? They just found a new toy.
 
--
 
People would think that Azula was weak and was a total baby but no. She's just as scheming. As she ran down the hallway crying she thought, `If this doesn't get that old geezer to favor me, I don't know what will.'
 
“Mister Gyatso!” cried Azula as she burst into Room 5, “Toph she, she, SHE HIT ME.”
 
“What?!” exclaimed a red faced teacher, “They have gone too far! I can tolerate their pranks but this is over the line.”
 
Yes, yes, yes! This is what I want.
 
“I'm sorry,” sniffled Azula as she calmed her breathing, “I tried to persuade them to apologize to you but they wouldn't listen! They just yelled at me and started hitting me. Oh, it hurts mister! It hurts!”
 
“There, there,” comforted Gyatso from his seat, still glued tight, “I'll speak to the principal about this. But I appreciate your effort Azula. Thank you.”
 
“But I still didn't get them to say sorry to you.” whined Azula, scraping her foot against the floor with her hands behind her back.
 
“It's alright.” Said Gyatso, “I'm glad you're in my class Azula. Thank you.”
 
Yes! He's mine!
 
Azula had to lower her head to hide her grin and cough to stifle the evil laughter slipping from her lips. It just made her look more sorry. “Mr. Gyatso, why don't I go call the janitor to come and help you out?”
 
“Why thank you. That would be much appreciated,” said Gyatso as he tried to stand up but failed. Again.
 
Azula walked out the door but skipped down the hallway.
 
Psh. Toph? You think your bullying works on me? Oh no. I turn it around. We'll see who gets the last laugh. The cackle she's been trying to hold back finally escaped and it came spilling out between her red lips.
 
--
 
Ugh. What has that kid been eating?! God! That was probably the worst vomit I've ever had the honor of seeing and sniffing.
 
I walked out of the janitor's closet (Yeah. I don't even get a room. How pathetic is that?) after changing into another janitor uniform and throwing the old one away. Even after I wash it, the stench would probably still be there so why bother. Trash can's the right solution. Just when I thought my day could slow to a stop, I heard some distant footsteps.
 
“Mister Janitor sir! Mister Janitor sir! We need your help!” shrilled a little girl, bouncing up and down and looking frantic.
 
I rolled my eyes and blew at my drooping ponytail, “What.”
 
“Mister Gyatso got glued to a chair.”
 
I had to laugh at that. “Really?!” I exclaimed in midlaughter, “How'd that happen? Oh I've just got to see this.”
 
The little girl frowned at my response. What? Did she really think I'd be able to hold back? That old guy had it coming, being so nice to all the students. Hello? Where are you at? Kiwi! You can't let your guard down even for a second.
 
An awkward silence filled the atmosphere and well, I hate awkward silences. I cleared my throat and scratched the back of my head. “So… room 5 right?”
 
The girl nodded and started walking in the direction of the designated location. Man, talk about having manners. And you'd expect this teacher's pet to be able to respond correctly but nooo.
 
The walk down the hallway was silent, again. The sound of our footsteps ricocheted off the walls, one pair thudding, one pair patting. Our shadows stretched onto the side of the hallway, one tall, one short. Big contrast in our sizes, yet she treated me no different than her little friends. Still as rude as ever. It won't hurt to start a conversation you know! I mean, you're asking me to come with you. You're the host! Talk!
 
“Doesn't seem to be any problems.” I said, as I stepped into the classroom and swung my head left and right, drinking in the details of the classroom. No vomit. No gum. No trash. Everything sparkly clean and tidy neat.
 
“Ah-hem.”
 
I quickly turned around to see where the low voice had emanated from. Oh right. Glued butt. I just had to grin as I rubbed my hands together and said with a devious glint in my eyes, “I wonder how we can pry you off…”
 
Gyatso gulped in terror. I didn't blame him.
 
--
 
Aang laughed hysterically as he sat on his swirling ball of air with his arms crossed. The sleeves of his shirt blew behind him as he dodged Katara mindlessly. “Kataraaa.” said Aang, “I told you air is better than water.”
 
Katara weaved her hands left and right in smooth movements drawing water from a nearby bucket holding water. She swirled and compressed a water ball in her hands as her thin mouth pulled into a frown. Then, concentrating all her energy into the constantly moving ball, she pushed out palms directed away from her body, to launch a tidal wave at Aang.
 
Aang stared, jaw-dropped, at the oncoming mini tsunami. Mesmerized, he forgot to dodge out of the way. He watched as the wave got closer and closer to him, but snapped out of his trance too late. “Shit!” and he was washed back by the strong force.
 
“Water beats air! Nyaa!” giggled Katara, sticking her tongue out at Aang playfully. Aang dropped down to the floor and released the air powering his vehicle.
 
“No fair! You went total offense on me!”
 
“Well if air is so good, then it should be able to overpower water right?”
 
“Air is better! It's just that… that… I haven't revealed my secret technique yet!”
 
At this, Katara started guffawing. The corners of her eyes became wet with tears as she hugged her stomach and dropped to the ground. Aang stared at her with a frown and had an almost visible angry mark on the top of his head.
 
The kids were having a mini match, to play with their skills. So they shoved a few kids off to the side for their own enjoyment, but they're kids! Nothing wrong with being greedy and selfish. It's all a part of growing up.
 
“Oh yeah!?” dared Toph as she scraped her foot against the earth and dropped down into a familiar stance, right foot forward and left back. One arm was raised above her shoulder and the other out in front of her, both hands clutched into a fist aiming towards Katara. “Well earth can beat air and water easy!”
 
Katara stopped laughing and rose up slowly and dramatically. She took her usual fighting stance and prepared her weapon, letting it run in a strip in front of her. Toph's eyes became a slit as she stomped on the ground, shooting up a nicely packed block of dirt, and kicked it over where she felt Katara was. Toph's handicap wasn't a handicap at all, well, not on ground at least.
 
Katara managed to slice through the rock with a quick flick of her wrist, sending a whip of water to do her bidding. Not pausing for a second, she twisted around to gather momentum and used the same trick she used on Aang on Toph.
 
It didn't work this time though. Feeling the pressure of the water rushing towards her, Toph quickly sunk into the dirt. Katara looked around left and right but couldn't sense Toph at all. She was watching her back, expecting Toph to come up from behind her but instead, Toph hadn't moved at all. She had stayed where she had sunken and had revealed herself silently, making a sneak attack.
 
Toph was about to make her attack when a boomerang interrupted her move. Toph's ears twitched and ducked just in time to dodge the flying weapon, otherwise would've proven fatal for her head and cranium. Katara whirled around, finally sensing that the real danger lie behind her. “There you are!”
 
“Meh,” scoffed Toph, crossing her arms behind her head, “told you earth is better.” Katara rolled her eyes at this but said nothing in reply.
 
“Katara!” The three spun around to see Sokka running towards them, “Janitor is dead. I have a plan.” Sokka's eyes glinted in the sun, and the fun with the new toy begun.
 
--
 
That was actually my first time writing in this fandom so give my critiques and what not. Thanks.