Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Metamorphosis ❯ You, Again, Fire Eye? ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

"Metamorphosis: You, Again, Fire Eye" by Abraxas (2009-12-16)
 
I am slave to what is enslaved.
 
True - I denied myself (and suffered through motions of despair) until I freed myself. I do not fight anymore. I do not grieve what I used to be. Like a butterfly, I am new and different, defined by this preference.
 
I need to see the Indian if just to know a warrior exists.
 
A void envelopes the universe. Only moonlight breaks through that abyss. Its eerie blue radiance reveals the figure within the cage.
 
"You, again, Fire Eye?"
 
I exhale, relieved, that Sokka was not taken by the noose.
 
The Indian jumps in front of my face - just a few inches of steel separate us.
 
My breath is taken away gasp by gasp. My eyes reveal the yearning of the soul. All the while I gaze, lost, as moonlight glimmers across his painted, enshadowed face and I cannot help but imagine my touch exploring his skin.
 
"How do I know you exist?"
 
Since they captured their enemy my fear was that I simply imagined Sokka. Could there be any other definition of what a man ought to be? So raw! So free! Gods, so free....
 
A desire emerges to do what the cattlemen would not approve of.
 
"Let me go and you find out."
 
The expression should have broken the spell. Yet a flash of the eyes contradict everything. And like a moth to a flame am I to Sokka.
 
I unlock the cage.
 
We embrace, boy to boy, forgetting we are cowboy and Indian. Breaking, our hands meet our hands, our fingers clutch our fingers.
 
"...Fire Eye.... We are not what we seem to be. You and I."
 
And then his lips wet my lips.
 
I notice too late that he fled.
 
"Sokka," I weep, staggering toward the exit, "you captured me."
 
END