Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ When Ice and Lava Meet ❯ The Earth Tells Her So ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Avatar: The Last Air-bender, the very talented team of Mike and Brain own the show and characters. The rating maybe wrong but I did try to get it right.

By: year of the snake (at fanfiction) aka. crescentmoon (at mediaminer). And now Opal-Dreams on DeviantArt.

When Ice and Lava Meet

Chapter Two

This field was owned by an old couple and their adult children. Katara and the Blind Bandit were found in the field by one of their sons, a sixteen year old boy. They lived on the outskirts of a huge Fire Nation city called Aoi Falls. It got its name because past the other end of the city there were two waterfalls that supplied large blue pools. This son was amazed to find two beautiful women, one burned and both exhausted and dirty asleep in the part of the field that he was supposed to begin aerating today.
One of the women had black hair that had fallen lose of the binding that was dangling in it. Her face was delicate looking, a face that could challenge any aristocrat in beauty. She had long bangs covering half her face but the main body of her hair went to her thighs. The black haired woman was petite and pale, even paler then him. Even with being so pale she didn’t look sickly, she looked very healthy in fact. She was in a sleeping bag with the bottom rolled up to reveal two burned feet.
The other woman was tall and thin with thick, messy brown hair and creamy dark skin. Her face was just as aristocratic as the other woman’s but was differently boned, she looked slightly less delicate then the smaller woman.
Both women were wearing dirty red clothes.
The black haired one stirred at his approach. It was almost like she could feel him coming. But that was impossible, wasn’t it?
Suddenly he commenced slipping into the ground, like it was wetter then it had ever been, but it was nearly completely dry. Then just as suddenly when he was buried to mid-thigh he stopped sinking and the black haired woman stopped all movement.
He had to scream to get some help. His family came running. They noticed him first and began laughing. But they soon noticed the two groggy girls as they sat up. There was a twenty-four year old man and his twenty year old wife, a twenty-two year old man and his wife, a twenty one year old woman and her husband, a nineteen year old girl and her suitor along with an old man.
“Who are these people Aang?” asked the old man.
“I don’t know,” said the brown haired boy. “Will you guys please get me out of the ground?”
Katara looked at the Blind Bandit. This had to be her doing. She had heard rumors that the girl was an earth-bender, maybe they were actually true. The Blind Bandit didn’t look at all fazed by the commotion of a boy being stuck in the ground.
While the younger people were helping the boy out of the ground the old man turned to them. He asked them, “Who are you and what are you doing in my field?”
“I’m Jen and this is Mai Ling.” Katara lied for them. She had used both cover names before and knew them to be popular Fire Nation girl names.
“Jen and Mai Ling huh? And what are you two girls doing here?”
“We were driven from our home by bandits and became so tired that we stopped here to rest. I’m sorry if we caused you trouble we will move on soon.” Katara or ‘Jen’ continued.
“You’re friend’s feet are pretty badly burned. You can stay here until she’d healed if you’d like.” the kind old man said.
“That could be dangerous for you and your family. The gang is sure to come after us. It would be very risky for us to stay here.”
The father continued, “We can take the risk. You should stay here as long as you can, we’ll protect you if it comes to that.”
‘Jen’ opened her mouth to protest some more but she was cut off by ‘Mai Ling’. “Jen, I think it best if we accept his offer. After all there is not much we can do to fend off our attackers with me wounded and you barely able to stand for exhaustion.” the Blind Bandit reasoned.
Katara was surprised at how gently she suggested it, not in her usual manner of ruff requests. Katara agreed that it was foolish to keep moving at their slow pace, if their pursuers caught up to them with her exhausted and the Blind Bandit unable to stand they would be dead or captured in minutes, more likely seconds. So she said, “Mai Ling is right. We will accept your offer. Thank you.”
“Aang will you carry Miss Mai Ling to the house?” ‘Mai Ling’ looked unhappy with the indignity of being carried by the skinny farm boy. “Will you be able to walk Miss Jen?”
“Yes,” said ‘Jen’.
The old man grabbed her pack surprised by how empty it felt. He and his family escorted them to their two story farm house.
When they entered the house they were greeted by a woman who must have aged like wine, for she was old but beautiful and she looked to hold knowledge that doubled her age. “My, what have you got there?”
“My dear, we found these travelers in our field. They were chased from their home. One of them is injured.”
“Oh that’s terrible!” exclaimed the woman. She came over and began to fuss over the ‘pour children’.
“My dear, I’m sure they’re tired. How about you allow them to get some rest?”
“Oh you are right. But before that we best introduce ourselves. I am Lily-Lee.”
“You are right. I am Gyatso. These are Lily-Lee and my children. Pasang, Malu, Yangchen, Ming and Aang. Pasang’s wife Ta Min, Malu’s wife Ilah, Yangchen’s husband Chey, and Ming’s beau Ruon-Jian.” Each of the people introduced waved or said something to the effect of hello when their name was called.
Aang had yet to put ‘Mai Ling’ down. But he wasn’t told where to put her either.
“Aang you take that pour girl in to the back room and lay her on the bed. I will be in with some herbs in a minute.” his mother said.
“Yes mother.”
“You might as well join them my dear. You look dead on your feet.” Lily-Lee resumed conversation.
“Thank you.” said Katara. She went after the woman she had just met the day before and her escort.
Aang made it to the bed and placed the young girl on it. It was then that he noticed the strange color of her eyes, the way they were practically pupil-less. They were light green and they were piercing. He felt like every beat of his heart could be seen by those eyes. In response his heart pulsed harder, and it was already doing double-time because he had to carry the woman.
Normally the Blind Bandit would make a sarcastic comment as with her heightened senses she could feel the blood attacking his veins at high speeds. He was vibrating with each beat of his heart. If she wasn’t blind then she wouldn’t be able to tell but being blind and an earth-bender she could. Maybe she’d still make a sarcastic comment, after she had healed a bit so if the family threw her out she wouldn’t be a big burden, or at least not have as long to heal. But oh how the sarcastic things she could say nagged at her brain, they cried to be said.
Katara walked in to see Aang staring at ‘Mai Ling’. He had let her go, but he was not far away from her. Aang was still leaning over her. ‘Mai Ling’ said, “Is there something you wanted Aang? If not stop hovering over me like a rabbit-hen over her chicks.” She really did try not to say anything sardonic to the host family, but she really didn’t have much practice in keeping her mouth shut lately.
Aang reeled back. ‘That was unexpected.’ he thought. “I-I-I-I-I’m sor-sorr-sorry. I’ll just go see what mother is doing.” He turned to see ‘Jen’ standing in the doorway, or more like swaying in the doorway. Aang quickly explained that she could take the bed next to ‘Mai Ling’s’.
Katara nodded as he ran past her. The unfortunate boy was embarrassed. Katara entered the room sending small shockwaves that the Blind Bandit picked up by placing her hand on the dirt floor. So it came as no surprise when ‘Jen’ collapsed she knew it before it even made a sound.
“Jen!” ‘Mai Ling’ hollered like she was concerned. She wanted to make sure someone came to help the older girl. The girl didn’t even stir.
At the loud thump and even louder call the owners of the house came running. The first two people had to jump over the fallen girl because they didn’t expect her to be where she was and didn’t have time to stop.
“What’s wrong with her?” asked Lily-Lee.
‘Mai Ling’ answered, “I don’t know. I think she may just be beat.”
One of the sons moved her to a bed, and then they all had to go back to the field daylight stuck around for no man.
The old woman checked them over. They were both fine, excluding being overly tired and ‘Mai Ling’s’ burnt feet. She put stinky herbs on her feet and then left the room to let them rest.
The girls stayed in this kind family’s home until the Blind Bandit’s feet were healed. Then they decided to move on. They’d stick together at least for now. They decided to try their luck in Aoi Falls.

629629629629629629629629629629629629629629629629629629629629629629629629 629629629629629629
Okay because of overwhelming number of reviews (It wasn’t overwhelming it was just two! *Shut it! That’s the most I’ve had for a first chapter in a while.*) I have decided to put the next chapter out now. =D
Those reviewers were ArrayePL and Kaydreams from fan fiction (dot) net. Thank you both. And Kaydreams said she/he couldn’t wait to see how I introduced the other characters… Did Aang’s introduction meet your expectations? I hope it did. =D Again Thank you both! I loved both of your reviews. They made me happy and a happy writer is a more able to write writer. Hehehe!
Thank you everyone who reads this. Oh and if you want to be mentioned you must review/comment.
Quick Fact 1: I only made up three names for this chapter, Jen, Lily-Lee and Mai Ling. The other names are all either from the Air Nomads or the Fire Nation.
Quick Fact 2: Half of Lily-Lee and Gyatso’s children have Air Nomadic names the other half have Fire Nation names. And ALL of their children’s wives/husbands/beaus have Fire Nation names.
Quick Fact 3: None of Lily-Lee and Gyatso’s children are actually theirs. The one’s with Air Nomadic names are actually Air Children they rescued and the ones with Fire Nation names are orphans they found after coming to the Fire Nation.
Quick Fact 4: Lily-Lee and Gyatso are married and lived in the Air Temples when they were young children.
Quick Fact 5: Lily-Lee can’t air-bend.
I hope to get the next chapter out soon. Please review. Bye!