Azumanga Daioh Fan Fiction ❯ Tangled ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“Tangled”
 
Disclaimer!: I don't own Azumanga Daioh (owned by Azuma Kiyoshi, I believe) or the songs in it.
Pairings: Decided. I don't really favor any of the pairings I'm choosing but I do what I can for my beloved reviewers.
New Summary: Azumanga combined with cruel reality. How much can go wrong with the girl's last week as seniors? We're about to find out… what can go wrong in one day? See below. Each chapter shows insight into a different character's past. The first is Ayumu's. Possible character death.
 
 
Child who never ceases to bring disappointment… I give you all I can, all I am. You give me nothing but insight into a hopeless, troublesome, anything but prosperous future—A future not even worth living for. If she's going to bring home these spawn she calls grades, why should I bother bringing her real food beside this locks of tar used for smoke to fill this apartment, fill my being with a sense of relaxation. And my little daughter? She coughs; she complains that they taste horrible.
 
Good.
 
It's about time she bore of the pain. Now I can have a well-deserved break from my little disappointment. My spawn. My daughter.
 
My Ayumu.
 
Chapter 1 - Madness Ensues, Prelude of Worse
 
 
“Chiyo-chaaan! Chiyo-chaaan!” The pig-tailed redhead stared up as her spacey Osakan friend with a sweet smile. “Ohayo gozaimasu, Osaka-san!” she piped up happily, “How are you today?” the two girls were in the park awaiting their friends the wildcat, the emo, the Lone Wolf, and the star athlete. It was their last week as senior in high school so they decided to spend the first day of that week together. Yomi had no where to be (which obviously made Tomo available XD), Osaka's foster parents were happy when she was with her friends rather than cooped up in her room drawing, and Kagura usually didn't have anything to do but train anyway so she decided it'd be the perfect chance to nail Tomo and Sakaki who really didn't have any choice thanks to Kagura. Not that Sakaki minded, she only stayed home for her stuffed animals and because she couldn't afford an apartment of her own yet.
 
“Chiyo-chan has your dad been away or somethin'?” the space cadet asked.
 
Chiyo smiled more, “Yes! He had an important case with a client in Kyoto so he had to leave right away!”
 
Osaka stared blankly, a suspicious open-mouth smile plastered on her pale face. “Ahh… that explains everythin'.”
 
Chiyo cocked her head to the side, “Explains? What do you mean?”
 
Osaka smiled, closing her eyes and slurring out, “Ah didn' see `im last night. You were there flyin' and everythin' but none of yer parents were around no more! Ahh… has Mr. Tadakichi… always been that big?”
 
The baffled 13-year-old gave a small “uhh” of uncertainty, not understanding quite what the girl was rambling on about. Although Chiyo-chan did indeed believe that Ayumu Kasuga was indeed an inner genius with a mind that raced on faster than Kagura did, there were times when that theory seemed false, such as believing her father was a giant, golden, oval, cat. Or… her having evil pig-tails. They figured out the logic behind Osaka a fair amount of times but even Yomi, Chiyo, and Sakaki were unable to comprehend it together. The Numbnuts Tomo and Kagura just went along with whatever she said. So they decided to just leave it as an unsolved mystery to have fun with every so often… until Osaka tried to `snap' of the pig-tails. Then it was no fun at all. Except for maybe Tomo.
 
Osaka sighed, “Nevermind… Ah'll prolly figure it out…” Chiyo-chan giggled nervously, stopping as she heard a loud presentation cry form none other then…
 
“DUN-DADA-DUUUUUUUN! Presenting the talented, the spirited, the athletic, the genius, and the overall drop-dead sexy, always a pleasure, never a bother TOMO TAKINO!” The self-proclaimed wild cat… hers truly.
 
Yomi rolled her eyes behind her glasses. “You're always a bother.” She and Kagura said in union.
 
As if not even hearing her best friend and fellow Numbnut she charged at Osaka and Chiyo, leaving the other three in her dust… literally. “CHIYOSAKA!!!!!!!!!!!” She bawled at the top of her lungs stopping abruptly in front of them, a wide proud grin on her face. The two scared girls stared between Tomo and their coughing companions.
“Uhm…. Konnichiwa to you too, Tomo-chan.”
After everyone recovered from Tomo's outburst, they all sat on the bench discussing their plans for the day. It was 10am not and by 9pm they'd have to be home, due to Chiyo's need to sleep early. Tomo said they shouldn't have to stop the `party' just because one member of their clique had to leave, but Kagura immediately slammed Tomo for being so inconsiderate of how Chiyo-chan would feel if they went out without her.
 
“So we're going to eat at the Necoconecoacoa Lounge for lunch… but where else exactly are we gonna spend the day?” Kagura asked.
 
“Well, there was the arcade also… as long as they forget they banned Tomo for destroying the arm-wrestling machine. They installed a new DDR game or something.”
 
Kagura gawked then coughed, trying not to seem suspicious. “Yeah, big deal! I mean, who cares about DDR when you have games like Kingdom Hearts2 and stuff like that out?” Yomi shrugged in reply.
 
While Tomo teased Kagura about the DDR reaction (among other things), Sakaki blushed, a small gasp escaping her throat. She had been looking through a discarded newspaper someone had left on the bench they now sat on in hopes of finding some ideas for what to do, when she discovered her weakness - a new stuffed animal shop. Not only was it half the size of Chiyo-chan manor but it looked like a place she'd want to live in.
 
It was an almost silvery color and at the entrance were two Necoconeco statues dressed as guards. On the windows there were small paintings of other popular cartoon characters such as Hello Kitty's cast, Kero from Card Captors, Takun from Furi Kuri (Fooly Cooly), and many more. The rooms inside each had their own theme, from simple sunny neighborhood to colorful outer space and vivacious packed jungles. There was even a room where she was able to make her own stuffed animal with help from a worker. No longer would she wonder which of her plushies were the cat! Or… were they both dogs…
 
Tearing out the article, Sakaki slid it into her pocket, not wanting any of the three Numbnuts or Yomi to see it. Only Chiyo-chan would understand. Being the shimai they seemed to be, of course Chiyo understood her. Well… for the most part. They wanted what each other had. Sakaki wanted to be small and cute and most importantly approachable. Unlike Chiyo who made friends easily for who she was, if Sakaki had been able to make friends it was because she was the gorgeous `American' girl with long hair, fierce eyes, and breath-taking athletic abilities. But most people idolized her too much to be friends with her. Like that Kaorin girl… at the very beginning of school, she was telling her about the Astronomy Club. It was as if she actually believed she was going to laugh at the smaller girl's hobby. It was… rather insulting in a way. She understood that the last thing any of them wanted was to do anything against her but the fact that they just assumed that she was really too good to do anything that she really does… too cool to be part of the Astronomy Club because she was such a heavenly swimmer, too cool to like kittens because she always had bandages and therefore was a hardened street punk, a tomboy like Kagura.
 
Lucky for her though, she had the Azu6.
 
And about the stupid name… it was Tomo's idea.
 
“Hey, Sakaki!” Sakaki yelped in surprise and Kagura swooped down, grinning boyishly as always. “What did ya find that you're trying to hide?” She asked, digging her hand in Sakaki's pocket, not wasting the opportunity to feel for what may be behind the fabric of the girl's pants. When she realized the others may have been getting suspicious she slid out her hand along with the paper. Reading it carefully she rolled her eyes with a sigh. Figures. Passing it to Chiyo-chan she sat back down her fire extinguished for now.
 
As expected, Chiyo smiled at Sakaki. “Would you like to go there with me, Sakaki-san? We can split into pairs for an hour or so, then meet up and spend the rest of the day together then!” Sakaki's mouth popped open, blushing happily. “Ah…. Yeah.”
 
“Just one problem… who gets stuck with who?” Yomi asked pointedly. She already knew who she was `trapped' with for the day.
 
“Well… why don't you go with Tomo-chan?”
 
`Knew it,' Yomi thought dryly, blush spreading under her eyes and across her nose.
 
“WHAT!? I WANNA GO WITH KAGURA, NOT YOMI!!!”
 
The brunette winced painfully, hanging her head slowly. `Knew that was coming too…It always does.'
 
“There is… a problem however though you see.” Sakaki explained. “On the way here… we picked up a pair of tag-alongs.”
 
Out from behind Sakaki came a blushing, drooling, giggling girl with a crooked cut and next to her a girl with blue eyes and a boyish haircut. Kaorin Aida and Chihiro Yamaguchi. “Sakaki-saaan…!” she bubbled awkwardly. Chihiro simply waved, beaming from behind Sakaki, “Hi guys!” It was her first time with the group, so she was really happy.
 
Sakaki sighed, “It's just I don't think we should just let them go off on their own when they just got here…. I guess one group will have to take them but…” Kaorin cut it, “Sakaki-san! If it's not a problem with you, I would very much love to accompany you to the Stuffed Animal Store! That is, if you're not already going with someone…” Chiyo and Kaorin made eye contact in that moment. Chiyo wondered since when did Kaorin become so bold when it came to the idol she knew nothing about. Kaorin was wondering that about Chiyo's crush as well. Both their eyes sharpened, `I'm not going to loose!'
 
Chihiro sighed in disdain, knowing full well that her so-called best friend was going to do this like she had with the three-legged race. “Well… I guess I'll go with Kagura-san and Osaka-san then. I mean, if it's alright?” Chihiro walked over and whispered to Yomi who leaned down for her old friend. “Kaorin's not the only one with a crush on one of the popular ones!” She blushed, giggling excitedly. “And I'm sorry, I was going to go with you instead but I had a vibe that you wanted her alone…” Yomi blushed, gritting her teeth. “Wh-Why would I want to be alone with her!?” Yomi exclaimed in outrage, pointing at Tomo who was biting Kagura after yet another fight. The wildcat idiot blinked innocently while Kagura effortlessly threw Tomo off.
 
Chihiro beamed, `Kakkoi!!! Kagura-san's the greatest!' Walking up to her own crush she beamed. “Good job putting Tomo mouth of order1 I doubt she'll be annoying you again.” She said matter-of-factly. `What are you talking about, Chihiro? Tomo never gives up!' Kagura blinked. “Uh, thanks, but Tomo's not gonna stop just because her head smashed into a pay phone booth.” She said, turning around and looking at the `Numbnut Leader' (or Bonkura) Chihiro giggled again, “That's true!” Kagura sweated, feeling uncomfortable. This was going to be a long day…
 
 
Prequel To Melancholy - Splitting Up… I Hope no one Dies.
 
 
So the groups broke up. Sakaki went with Kaorin and Chiyo, who couldn't keep their eyes off each other (well… Kaorin WOULD stare at Chiyo… but she stared more at Sakaki, making the older girl more uncomfortable), Tomo and Yomi went in their pair with Tomo deciding she wanted to eat early much to Yomi's protest, and of course Kagura who was being asked a million questions by curious kitten Chihiro, and Osaka who was about to say something completely unpleasant.
 
She sighed, “Ah hope… we all meet up again.”
 
Kagura and Chihiro stopped, turning around. “Hm? What are you talking about, Osaka?” The American asked, sweating again slightly. Osaka face went grim, “Like in the movies… whenever they split up… one group ends up dead.” Chihiro squeaked, inching behind Kagura who rolled her eyes, “Osaka… those are movies. You can't tell me you actually believe something bad's gonna happen? I mean come on, look at us.” Kagura grinned falsely, realizing something. `Well… not when we're together anyway.' Whenever the group was together it was nothing but happy-go-lucky times. Tomo going berserk and ruining a moment, Chiyo-chan's cuteness and naivety, Sakaki's shyness, Yomi's moodiness…
 
Wait… besides Tomo why was Yomi so moody? She was almost never happy. Not since cheerleaders when she thought Kaorin had called her `cute'. Maybe she liked Kaorin or something, but Kagura really doubted it what with Tomo and everything. Tomo and Yomi had no idea but ever since before Kagura joined the group they pretty much assumed the two were in love. To some this may seem highly unusual, seeing as all they do is fight… But Tomo actually studied, just to get into the same high school as Yomi and probably tried to get into the same college behind their backs. Also Tomo paid more attention to Yomi than anyone else, another hint. As for Yomi's half… besides the obvious blushing… how could Yomi stand Tomo this long without killing her and if Tomo's this attention-seeking hog, why didn't Yomi just ignore her so she'd get cut down to size that way? Also… Yomi didn't care about her weight until Tomo started making fun of it. Kagura's guess was she wanted to be attractive to Tomo.
 
Though not all of them were obviously lesbians themselves, they'd accept the lifestyle for their friends as hard as it seemed. Kagura herself obviously had a monster crush on Sakaki. She challenged Sakaki to be near her, and also in hopes that she'll not only start to like sports over stuffed animals, but that she'll in turn start to like Kagura herself more. Like Kaorin, Kagura had begun thinking Sakaki was this majestic `Lone Wolf'. None truly saw Sakaki… only Yomi, Chiyo, and possibly Osaka accepted Sakaki like she was - a sheep in wolf's fur.
 
Kagura was starting to give up. All she ever seemed to do was interfere with Sakaki's strive to get domesticated cats to like her, anyway. But if Kagura didn't even love the person Sakaki turned out to be… why did she feel like crying?
 
“Uh, guys… I just remembered I gotta go pick something up for my mom. I'll catch up with ya, okay?” Osaka blinked, and Chihiro panicked, “Oh! Well, I—I mean, we could go with you if you want! We do have an hour!” Kagura shook her head, eyes sparkling with sadness which unfortunately for Kagura, Osaka had all but missed. “I'll be back!” She turned her back and ran off with a speed none of them had ever seen before.
 
Chihiro looked disappointed. “I really… had hoped to spend the day with Kagura today…” Osaka turned and gave her an angered look. Chihiro gasped, having never saw an angry Osaka before. “Shame on you…” she said then began running after Kagura, but probably had no chance of catching up at her own out of shape speed.
 
`Ah'm comin' Kag'ra!'
 
In Tomo and Yomi's Case…
 
Yomi twitched, a stress vein throwing on the side of her head.
 
“Tomo…”
 
Her only reply was the repetitive sound of crunching and slurping.
 
Tomo…
 
A belch, a sigh of satisfactory, and the patting of her hand on her stomach.
 
“TOMO TAKINO!!!”
 
The cocky, spunky and now bloated 17-year-old grinned at her bespectacled friend. “You bellowed?” she asked, picking her teeth with a toothpick. “Are you done making an ass of yourself yet?”
 
“Hmm…” Tomo pressed a finger to her lip, looking up thoughtfully. “Actually, some dessert would be nice! I think they have those rice cakes with the ice cream inside here! Hey Yomi, haven't you always wanted to try those?”
 
(A/N: Don't whine, there really is a treat like this. It is from Japan and I did read about it a long time ago.)
 
Yomi swallowed hard. She could take watching her scarf down the curry, her favorite kind no less, the teriyaki skewers, the soba and ramen noodles, and everything else she crammed down her greedy little mouth but this… this was the last straw. “TOMO… OUTSIDE… NOW.”
 
Snickering to herself, Tomo thought, `Gotcha… ow, stomach hurts…' She stood and began outside with Yomi, dropping the yen on the table. As soon as they were out of site, Yomi's strong arms trapped Tomo against the brick wall of the side of the restaurant, her piercing cocoa eyes glaring into Tomo's bark-colored ones. Tomo gave a throaty gasp of surprise. “Gah…!” Her captor's venomous stare sent chills down her spine.
 
“I want and answers… little miss wildcat.”
 
Tomo stared in fear and confusion, “What—!?”
 
“You know what I mean. Now talk, damnit!!!”
 
The too stood there, frozen in time. Tomo's bang's shadowed her eyes. An abnormal response of a low, throaty whisper escaped her throat, “Do you like her…?”
 
Yomi blinked, “What?
 
“Kaorin… Kagura… or do you like Sakaki just like everyone else?” The totally different Tomo stare dup coldly, the tables turning on Yomi yet again. Now Tomo was the one demanding answers. Tomo was in control. “Well… I'm waiting. Mizuhara-san. Now gimme my goddamn answers or you'll never get yours.” The usually collected girl was now a nervous wreck. What was she supposed to do?
 
In Sakaki, Chiyo, and Kaorin's case…
 
Sakaki now had a mountain's worth of stuffed animals in her arms, all she claimed to be for her little cousin as she had while Chiyo and Osaka had been working at the fast-food joint. Kaorin simply gushed over her kindness toward her `little cousin', claiming her to be too kind for words if she was willing to buy that many for one little girl. While Sakaki went to pay for the world's worth of plushies, Kaorin and Chiyo were left alone to wait.
 
Kaorin was the first to speak as expected, “How long?” she asked, making it sound more a statement then a question. Chiyo narrowed her eyes, “Ever since the big race.”
 
“A.” she replied, nodding her head slightly. “Not nearly as long as I have.”
 
“Obviously. But I'm not a little kid and I know time means nothing in love. It's all up to Miss Sakaki and I know for a fact that she won't choose either of us.”
 
Kaorin gritted her teeth behind her lips. “And why would that be…?”
 
“Because you don't even know her… and because I'm nothing but a little sister to her… just a kid. Just a cute, little, girl…” Chiyo visibly bit her lip, tears filling the maple-colored orbs. Kaorin stared at the ground. “I can get to know her.”
 
“Too late.”
 
“Oh, but what happened to time not mattering in love?” she pointed out.
 
“Because, Kaorin, you've already disappointed her greatly.” Chiyo finally looked up at her. “Do you remember the first day of school, when you were about to invite Sakaki-san to the Astronomy Club?”
 
`How could I forget? It was the first time Sakaki looked at me.' Kaorin shivered at the thought of those sharp cobalt eyes on her small form, nodding meekly, a bead of sweat running down her cheek as she feared where this was about to go. How could she have ever disappointed her wonderful Sakaki-san? “Sakaki-san told me. She told me how when she finally looked at you and asked where you were going with the conversation how you ran off as if scared of her. You made her feel like a monster, Kaorin-chan.” Chiyo stared at the floor sadly, beginning to slowly realize Sakaki was taking awhile, even though she was buying a lot.
 
That's when she heard Kaorin sniffling, her breath shaky and quick.
 
Chiyo turned to face her just as she came crashing down to her knees and hands. The girl was crying with her eyes shut and her small fists clenched. “I-I-I… w-wanted to a-ask… her-r-rrr…!!!” At this point she was totally shattered, left in nothing but a self-loathing mess of regret and sorrow.
 
And it was all Chiyo's fault.
 
Chiyo, the one who made it her duty to make sure everyone was perfectly happy, even at the cost of her own and completely totaled a girl she barely knew. She said Kaorin made Sakaki, her Goddess, feel like a lowly monster.
 
She was the lowly monster.
 
Starting to cry herself, Chiyo got down on her knees, rubbing Kaorin's back in what little comfort she could offer. “I'm sorry… Kaorin… I'm so, so sorry…” Her small arms clung around Kaorin, the `fangirl' immediately clinging back, repeating Chiyo's words not only t Chiyo but to her unhearing idol. Her beloved… no.
 
Their Beloved Sakaki.
 
Meanwhile with Sakaki…
 
She stood on line, half of her stuffed friends already bagged and ready to go home, blushing happily as she thought of how her room would look now with all these new additions to her animals' family. She hopes Yamamaya wouldn't become jealous. She turned hr back to lean against the counter, spotting an unlikely person behind her.
 
There in all her grinning glory, stood her teacher Yukari Tanizaki. “A! Wh-What are you doing here?” she asked, hoping she didn't realize all the toys were what she was buying. Yukari whined, “I have to pick up a little something for stupid Nyamo. She's still nagging me because I forgot her birthday, again. So well, here I am, wasting my money on her out of the goodness of my heart, blah blah, yeah.” The wavy-haired English teacher blinked when she saw all the bags. “Uhm... plushie lover much?” Sakaki waved her hands in panic. “They're for my cousin!” Yukari smirked, “Lemme guess… you forgot Kagura birthday! Didn't you? Didn't you!?” She grinned, knowing full well she must be right, giving a thumbs up and waving her arm behind her frantically.
 
Sakaki blinked, “Kagura? N-no… why would you suggest her?”
 
Yukari blinked in confusion. “Oh, well I just saw her run off bawling a few minutes ago when I was driving here so—“
 
“Kagura was crying?” Sakaki exclaimed, eyes wide.
 
“Yeah and that Osaka and the Chihiro nobody was following her too—HEY!!!” Yukari watched as her sports fest winning ticket ran out of the shop, leaving her at the counter.
 
The cashier held out his hand to her. “Uh, miss… your student owes me…”
 
“DAMN YOU, AMERICAN!!!”
 
A/N: Okay this is where the chapter really ends. How was it now? Better? Worse? Sucky? Over-dramatic? I know it's moving too fast. I was listening to these sad songs while I was writing so it sort of had a huge effect. One of them was a different kind of pain” by Cold, which reminded me of the Sakaki lovers once this week is up. Give it a listen if ya haven't already, kay?