Beyblade Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Adventures of a Blader (how original!) ❯ Chapter 48

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own BeyBlade or Yugioh. I own: Serena, Nicole, Antonio, SnowLeopard, Dragonia, and anything else that is not BeyBlade or Yugioh. Kelsey, Angie, and Joe own themselves. Yamura belongs to Laura. Austin belongs to Austin, though in name and looks only. Everything else about him I made up.
 
Telepathy
/Serena/
//Kai//
[Max]
::blah:: or {blah}- bitbeast
 
Thoughts or songs- in italics
Flashbacks- in bolded italics
Talking in Russian -bolded
 
 
Chapter 48
 
 
Serena found Kai in a seat down by where he fought Zeo. She quietly sat down next to him. Neither spoke for a few minutes until Serena held out her second bottle of vodka to him.
 
“Vodka?”
 
Kai shook his head. “You still drink that stuff?”
 
“Only when I'm depressed.”
 
“Is that your first bottle today?”
 
Serena shook her head. “It's my second. I finished the first one shortly after your match against…”
 
Kai's face darkened. “I can't believe I lost…I lost Dranzer.”
 
“Kai's, no one's perfect.”
 
“You are at blading.”
 
“No. Not me. It's-”
 
“It's your bitbeast, I know. We all heard your philosophy.”
 
“I'm not here to talk about my drinking or my philosophies. I'm here because I heard you were considering retirement once again.”
 
“Hilary has a loud mouth.”
 
“Kai, you can't retire. You came out of retirement once before, when Dunga challenged you at the prep school.”
 
Kai looked at Serena.
 
“How did you know about that?”
 
Serena smiled. “You forget. My best friend belonged to the Saint Shields. But you know what happened when you retired the first time.”
 
Kai looked away. “Wyatt died the other day.”
 
“Kai, I-I'm sorry.”
 
“That's why I wasn't there when Zeo switched sides.”
 
“Then you shouldn't retire. Keep blading in Wyatt's name.”
 
“But…I lost Dranzer. How can I blade?”
 
“With heart. Don't be like Tyson and lose sight of that. Don't turn your back on everyone like he did. I'm pretty sure Tyson isn't going to blade like he usually does when he faces Zeo.”
 
Kai was silent for a while. Finally: “And I'm supposed to do something?”
 
Well, I'm not going to do anything. Tyson hates my guts. I don't think Max and Ray will do anything either. He's turned his back on all his friends. You two weren't really friends ever. Hearing the history of this team, I would say you two were still rivals and enemies.”
 
Kai stood up. “Tyson's probably at the other stadium.”
 
Serena also stood up. “Where's that?”
 
“Behind this one.”
 
“There's more than one stadium in this arena?”
 
“Of course. You've never been at a tournament before have you?”
 
Serena gave Kai an exasperated look. “Now what do you think? I left the Demolition Team before the World Championships last year, which were mind you, at Russia. So, no, I've never been to one.
 
“Sorry.”
 
Serena followed Kai through several halls in the arena.
 
//Not a word of the conversation.//
 
/I know, I know. You want to keep your tough guy attitude; so you don't want anyone to know of a soft moment you had./
 
//You don't need to make it sound like- never mind.//
 
Kai led Serena through a final opening. Down by the stadium stood Tyson, his back to them. Serena leaned against the section rail, taking a sip of vodka.
 
//You know, you really should stop drinking that stuff.//
 
/Just do what you have to do and let me drink what I want.//
 
Kai walked down to the stadium and challenged Tyson to a match. Tyson seemed uncertain at first; but he changed his mind once Kai launched his blade at him. Serena drank more vodka.
 
This match should be interesting. Hopefully Kai will help Tyson.
 
The match had been running for a few minutes before the other BladeBreakers came.
 
“Serena! You came!” Max tackled Serena, almost knocking the open bottle out of her hands.
 
“Careful! I can't get more of this.” Serena capped the bottle and put it in her pants pocket. “I told you I would come.”
 
There was an uncomfortable silence.
 
“So…what's going on here? Why is Kai battling Tyson?” asked Ray.
 
“He's trying to help Tyson,” answered Serena.
 
“Does it have to do anything with Zeo?” asked Kenny.
 
Serena shrugged. “Don't know.”
 
“And I didn't hear the conversation Tyson had with Zeo,” said Hilary.
 
They all turned to look at the battle, which was indeed a heated one. In the end, Tyson won. He looked over at the group and smiled. One look at Serena, and it disappeared, only to come right back. Serena stepped away from the group.
 
“Hey Serena. Where are you going?” asked Max.
 
“I need to find Nicole.” Serena walked toward the hall.
 
“Serena!”
 
Serena kept walking. I shouldn't talk to him before his match. Afterwards will be better.
 
Someone grabbed her arm. “Serena, can we talk?”
 
Serena looked at Tyson. “After your match.”
 
“But-”
 
“You need to focus on your upcoming match. If it makes you feel any better, I'm not mad.”
 
Tyson let go. “Thanks.”
 
Serena nodded and walked away. She didn't have to travel very far to find Nicole; as Nicole was traveling down the same hall.
 
“There you are! I've been looking all over for you. Let's get some good seats,” said Nicole.
 
This time, their seats were in the very front row. Serena didn't say anything against the choice.
 
“So…I take it something good happened while I was looking for you.”
 
“I think Tyson was trying to apologize to me,” said Serena.
 
“So that's why you wanted to sit this far forward.”
 
“Yep.” Serena took out her soda bottle. It was now almost empty. I guess I don't need this anymore. Serena drained the bottle, and then put it in her pocket.
 
“Do you want more soda before the final match?” asked Nicole.
 
Serena shook her head. “No thanks.”
 
The finals soon began. Up first were Tyson and Gordo. Thanks to Dranzer being captured, Gordo's bitbeast, Orthrus, was much stronger. Tyson and Dragoon gave it their all, but it seemed like they would lose. Tyson was silent for a while, with a glazed look in his eyes. Not long after, Gordo's blade was knocked out of the stadium.
 
“Now if only Max can beat Zeo,” said Nicole.
 
Serena didn't say anything. She was feeling very sick. Max and Zeo stepped up to the stadium, both with a determined look on their faces. The battle was heated from the start. Zeo was fighting as fierce as he always did; but Max was more aggressive than usual. No matter what Draciel did though, it couldn't beat Zeo's bitbeast. As a result, Draciel was also captured.
 
“It's all up to Tyson now,” said Nicole.
 
“Yep.”
 
Nicole looked at Serena. “You all right? You look a little green.”
 
“I-I don't feel so good,” admitted Serena.
 
“Why don't we go see if the nurse's station is open.” Nicole started to get up; but Serena pulled her down.
 
“Y-you stay here. I'll need someone to tell me what happens.”
 
“You sure you'll be all-”
 
“I-I'll be fine,” said Serena standing up.
 
She went up the stairs before Nicole could say anything. She had just entered a hallway when the spectators gasped. Sickness momentarily forgotten, Serena went back. Down below, Tyson and Zeo were still battling; but Zeo had wires on his arm. Serena thought that the wires were a part of the clothes Zeo wore; but then she realized that the wires were a part of Zeo.
 
“He's a-”
 
“Robot.”
 
Serena turned and saw a man with red hair.
 
“So you are the girl whom my son entrusted. You are the girl with the black dragon bitbeast.”
 
“And you're Zeo's f-father, Zagart. You're the one who made Zeo betray and hurt the BladeBreakers.”
 
“I didn't do that. Zeo wants to be human. With all of the sacred bitbeasts, he will be able to do that.”
 
Serena snorted. “Yeah right. That's probably just what you told Zeo so he would help you get what you want.”
 
Zagart chuckled. “Zeo never mentioned how smart you were. He kept saying how strong you were.”
 
“You jerk! How could you do that to your own son?” Serena took a step toward Zagart. She totally forgot she felt sick. All she felt now was pissed off.
 
“Easily. Just as easy as taking all of the research from the blading facility in America and-” he stopped as Serena stepped even closer to him, fists clenched.
 
Serena didn't care if her anger showed. She was pissed and her temper was still rising. “You-You are the reason that Alan lost Max's trust and had to go to juvenile detention. You-You are the reason everything has been happening to us!”
 
“Now now. Watch your temper. I didn't cause everything. That island you all stayed at was the work of Dr. B and Gideon. All of those PsyKicks with those strong bitbeasts, like for instance Wyatt, all of them worked for Dr. K.”
 
“They worked for YOU!” Serena's eyes flashed angrily; but they were also watering.
 
“Yes, but-”
 
“So YOU'RE responsible for every pain and rift that has happened.”
 
Zagart bent down so he was eye to eye with Serena.
 
“Maybe I am at fault. Just don't you worry about that. Worry about what will happen when Zeo gets the blue dragon bitbeast. We will have three sacred bitbeasts under our belt. Zeo will be even stronger. He'll go after the white tiger bitbeast, then your black dragon one.”
 
Serena cursed at him.
 
Zagart laughed. “Apparently you've had too much to drink. I would say…vodka right? I can smell it on your breath.” He straightened up and looked at the match. His face fell.
 
Serena turned and saw Zeo's blade flying through the air and landing outside the stadium. Two bright lights left the blade: one heading to Max, the other to a place out of sight.
 
“Zeo…lost…how?” asked Zagart.
 
“And how are you going to escape this time?”
 
Serena didn't pay attention as the cops arrested Zagart. Now that the match was over and her anger subsided, Serena remembered that the reason she was up here was because she was sick. She got as far as the trashcan before throwing up.
 
Kai's right. I should stop drinking vodka. It's not good for me.
 
“Serena, you all right?”
 
Does it look like I'm all right? It was several moments before Serena could answer. “Yeah.”
 
Nicole handed her a bottle of water. “Kai said you would need this. I don't know how he knew.”
 
Serena rinsed out her mouth and took a drink. “He knows me too well.”
 
Nicole looked thoughtful for a moment, then glared at Serena. “You were drinking! I thought we broke you of that at the prep school!”
 
Serena sighed and rubbed her temple. “What happened with the battle?” She walked over to the railing overlooking the stadium. She saw the BladeBreakers talking with Zeo by the stadium.
 
Nicole went to Serena and hit her in the head. “I'm not done with you! When did you get the alcohol?”
 
“I'm not talking about that. What happened in the match?”
 
Nicole opened her mouth to say something; but she saw Serena's face and decided against it. “Let's see. With Dranzer and Draciel taken, Cerberus was probably as strong as you. But all that power put a strain on Zeo's body and revealed that he's a-”
 
“A robot. I saw that. What else?” asked Serena.
 
Zeo looked up and spotted Serena. He smiled and said something to the BladeBreakers.
 
“Nothing else really. Tyson managed to win and the captured bitbeasts were released.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
“So what are you going to do now?”
 
Serena turned to look at Nicole. “What do you mean?”
 
“I mean, now that the tournament is over, what are you going to do? Will you make up with the BladeBreakers; or will you continue to avoid them?”
 
“I don't know. It all depends on-” Serena stopped as she answered her cell phone. “Hello?”
 
“Hey Serena. We need to talk. Can you meet us at the hobby store?” came Max's voice.
 
“Why not at…home?” Serena looked down at Max, who smiled up at her.
 
“Because the Spinning Top Hobby Store is our home. We had to have some things fixed on the second floor, so we had to rent a place. We moved in while you were gone.”
 
Serena was quiet.
 
“Serena? You there?”
 
“I'll see you there. Oh, and tell everyone I said good job…even Zeo.”
 
“Sure thing.” Max hung up and Serena saw him turn to the others.
 
“Come on Nicole. I need to grab my things.”
 
“So you're going to go back?”
 
Serena nodded. Neither of them talked until they were outside and saw Kai's limo waiting for them.
 
“Nicole, how did Kai know I was staying at your place?”
 
Nicole looked sheepish. “I put a tracking device on your duffel bag. Some habits just can't die.”
 
“Like my drinking.”
 
The two girls laughed.
 
“So, are you going to stay in Tokyo now that the danger has passed?” asked Serena.
 
Nicole shook her head. “I'm going back to Tobyo to annoy Yvette some more.”
 
“When are you leaving?”
 
“In a few days. I may not see you again for a while.” Nicole looked over Serena's shoulder. “Looks like someone wants to talk to you.” Nicole went and climbed into the limo.
 
Serena turned and saw Zeo. “Hi Zeo. What can I do for you?”
 
“I just wanted to apologize for causing the fight between you and the BladeBreakers.”
 
“You didn't cause it. It was going to happen sooner or later. They've been a little upset that I wouldn't tell them about myself; that I kept secrets from them.”
 
“I also wanted to thank you for not telling them about our conversation.”
 
“Don't mention it. I never talk about anything that someone talks to me privately about.”
 
There was a silence as a police car drove away with Zagart in the back.
 
“What are you going to do now? I mean, now that your f-father is…”
 
“I'm probably going to be sent to a boarding school. I hear that there is a good one in Tobyo that's also a prep school.
 
“I went to that one, as did Kai. My friend Nicole is heading back there later this week. You'll like it there. When do you go?”
 
“Sometime this month.” Zeo gripped Serena's arm. “I've got to go.”
 
Serena pulled Zeo into a hug, then let go. “Keep in touch. When you get to the school, ask for Nicole Rodriguez. She'll be able to give you my contact information. Also, if you need anything, there is a lady who lives in Tobyo named May Smith. Just say you are a friend of mine, and she'll be more than happy to help.”
 
Zeo nodded, tears forming in his eyes. “Thank you so much.” Zeo turned and walked away.
 
Serena wiped a few tears from her eyes. She hated goodbyes, especially when she didn't know when she'd see that person again. Serena turned and got into the limo. It was time to go home.