Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Wasn't Meant To Be ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1
 
Disclaimer: never have I and never will I own anything except the plot.
 
 
I ran through a thick forest with the mission imprinted into my mind. Kidnap the heir. Kidnap Rei Kon, heir of the Chinese empire. I only sped up after thinking about it again. I needed to finish this assignment quickly if I wanted any hope of escaping my grandfather's wrath. The old man would do anything to teach a lesson or to prove a point. He would go as far as rape without hesitating. I know this from experience because ever since my parents died when I was still a young child, Voltaire has been training me to become the perfect soldier. For everything I did wrong, I was punished severely. My childhood went by with me sulking in the dark; afraid. Afraid of doing something that he would not approve of.
The moon's beams of light showed through the gaps of the branches, lighting my path. I was grateful that it was almost a full moon tonight. It would have been difficult to navigate my way around in these woods without light as my helping hand. China was insufferable. It was too hot and much too humid. A coat of sweat covered my skin; some drops from my bangs falling into my eyes. It was worse during the day. Only another reason to finish this assignment quickly.
I continued running. I must've been getting close because I had already been running for good six or so miles. It couldn't be too much further. But even if I got there quickly, dawn would be upon me. I would hopefully be able to fins somewhere to stay for the night, and maybe I might even be able to sleep. That is a hard task to do. Whenever I do sleep I am haunted and I wake abruptly. I dream every night of the victims that fell because of my hands. I was trained to be cold, malicious and to have no regrets. However, I have many regrets. There is fear, anguish, anger and hatred in me. Fear, anger, and hatred for my grandfather. Anguish for the many lives that I took. These things never leave me. They haunt me. I live in a constant nightmare. I try to run from it, but I can't seem to escape. It smothers me.
I find myself gasping for air as I had pushed myself to run further, harder. I slowed down to a jog and then a walk. My heart is pounding in my chest and my lungs are heaving; desperately in need of air. I lean against a large tree. There, underneath it was nothing but darkness. Its thick branches hiding me from the beams of light from the moon. I bring my hand up to my cheek and rub it against the blue triangles that I knew were there. My hand fell back to my sides and I just leaned there in thought.
My grandfather had never specified exactly why he wanted the heir. All he said was that I was to retrieve him and bring him back to Russia. What would he want with him? China's emperor needed an heir because he, just like Voltaire, was getting older. Rei was supposedly the only heir he had, just as I am Voltaire's only heir. If I was going to be kidnapped, which would be highly unlikely, Voltaire would be forced to get me back.
I shifted my position on the tree so that my back was to it. I couldn't exactly see Voltaire doing that for me, but he wanted the Hiwatari blood to continue so he really would have no choice; unless he could resurrect the dead. But the only reason someone would even attempt to take me would be they were afraid of our blood continuing. What could Voltaire possibly be afraid of that he would need this boy out of China?
The Chinese empire was supposed to be amazingly rich. Even more than Russia and Japan combined. Could that possibly be what fears that devil? That someone will have more riches than him? But it couldn't possibly be as simple as that.
Voltaire thirsts for power, and that thirst will never be satiated until he has more power than everyone else in the world. He is a dictator that loves having a control over people that they could be manipulated to do anything he wanted. And he would want his power to expand...What if he was planning on taking the Chinese empire? It was a good plan. Take the heir and have the country scattered searching for their missing heir, and while the country was disheartened, attack. So, my grandfather was afraid that he would be beaten by a boy no older than I. He was getting rid of another obstacle so that he can reach power. Who cares if thousands of innocent lives are killed in the process? They're all nobodies anyway; they're disposable and unimportant.
Is this what Voltaire was training me for? Or was it so that I could take over the Hiwatari Empire and govern it the way he would want it? That way he could, in a way, could stay with his wealth when he goes to hell. He couldn't bare the thought of parting with his fortune; even through death. He is trying to live through me.
I growled and shoved myself from the tree and began sprinting towards my destination. Just because things have become clearer in my mind doesn't mean that I was going to abandon the mission. My kidnapping of the heir is meant to be. It's supposed to happen.
Dawn was approaching ever more closely. I stopped once I reached a small pond with clean, fresh water. I walked up to it and knelt down. The water was somewhat murky, but only slightly. I scooped up a hand full and brought it to my lips. A drink after all of my running felt wonderful. I looked down and watched as the water began to still again. My reflection became clearer and clearer. I could see the smudged blue triangles on my cheeks. Two reminders of something I would rather forget.
I sighed and stood up, stretching. I stripped myself bare and walked into the water. The cool water felt good against my heated skin. It also felt nice knowing that all of the sweat was being washed away. I closed my eyes and allowed myself to be covered in the new light of the morning.
 
 
TO BE CONTINUED...