Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Bleach Drabbles ❯ I Can Wait ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: I Can Wait
Author/Artist: theablackthorn
Rating: PG-14
Pairing: Byakuya/Renji
Prompt/Summary: End of School.
Warnings: BL
AN: Drabble for Openlyred on LJ.
 
Byakuya stood waiting.
 
The Captain's and their lieutenant's placed in a line outside the Academy gate's, here to collect the new member's for their divisions. Byakuya retained that familiar nonchalant mask, but his eye's followed the movements of the other's around him.
 
But what he was waiting for wasn't quite the same as his fellow Captain's. He was here for the new member's of his division yes, but also because there was someone he wanted to see again. Someone who had caught his interest in a way that no one had since his late wife.
 
He watched silently as the student's filed out through the wooden gates of the Academy, loud, boisterous creature's needing to be tamed, trained in the ways of battle. They may have been on minor mission's before but his job as a Captain was train, to hone those skill's and to rank them accordingly.
 
When you became a shinigami you never stopped learning.
 
Byakuya's cool grey gaze looked out across the tops of their heads, disregarding them as he searched for … ahh… there.
 
His sense's strained towards the man coming forward with the crowd of newly graduated students. His rich head of crimson locks in its normal topknot, the dark ink on his forehead a reminder of his earliest travail's in the mortal world and the thing's he had accomplished.
 
Byakuya knew why he found this man interesting, though he knew the eleventh division already had a claim on him. It was an inconvenience, but he was patient, he had been taught to be nothing less as a noble of the first house.
 
He watched with apparent disinterest as that tall male sauntered alongside his friends, a wide grin splitting his lips in a feral smile as he clapped each of the slighter shorter men beside him on the shoulder. And something stirred inside Byakuya, sparking with unfamiliar warmth. He shoved those feelings down hard, burying them deeply were they would wait, hidden - protected for another time and place.
 
Time… Byakuya had time.
 
When his sister approached he turned from the sight of Abarai Renji's smile, to lead the young one's that trailed behind him like little ducklings back to the Sixth Division.
 
He would have time to watch the young redhead.
 
Byakuya had every intention of having the vivacious young shinigami in his own division, sometime in the future. He was a patient man after all. He could wait for the time when Renji was ready to move forward and, in the mean time, he would do everything in his power to entice the budding shinigami. Abarai Renji had potential, but he also held the interest of the Kuchiki clan head and that would lead him to an interesting path indeed.
 
 
Fifty year's later…
 
Byakuya stared down at the man laid out beside him, the soft whisper of breath pressing him closer to his Captain's side, calloused finger's splayed across his toned stomach. Byakuya's fingers twined around one of the rich red locks splayed over the pillow and across his chest were Renji's head rested. The strands were silky smooth as he passed them through his fingers, the quiet of the room filling him with a sense of ease and contentment as his fukutaicho slept peacefully against him.
 
He had waited for this, for years, and finally, after the tumult and madness of the last few weeks, Renji was his. Byakuya's free hand rubbed across the sleeping man's shoulder, tracing the slightly raised, inked skin, loving the feel of the smooth surface under his calloused fingertips.
 
After everything that had happened, Rukia was safe. And his Renji, alongside Kurosaki Ichigo, had made him see where he'd fallen. Byakuya was thankful in his own way. All his time spent waiting, wanting had evolved into an impenetrable wall that he had built around himself to keep other's at bay, even as he believed he was doing the right thing.
 
And Renji?
 
He'd shattered those walls, that lie, with his own strength, determination and fierce emotion.
 
Byakuya's gaze turned down to the redhead pressed against him, letting his own body ease into the futon and the press of warm skin and twined limbs. He couldn't remember a time that he'd felt so complete, even with Hisana - her illness had prevented them this gift. He was sad for that, but he was happy here with Renji. And though that idea conflicted with many others's ideas of what was proper and right, he didn't care.
 
He was home.