Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Chicken Princess ❯ Girls' Night Out ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chicken Princess
Prologue
Karin's P.O.V.
I glanced at the clock for what would probably be the seventh time in two minutes; 9:07. I sighed and stirred my cherry coke gloomily. A new, slow song began to play and the lights dimmed. I couldn't help but feel a sense of relief at the change of music in the club; loud techno beats always gave me headaches.
I'm not usually this irritable…let's just blame it on the club…and the lights…and the dirty dancing...I could come up with a whole list. My friends have no intention of leaving until at least 11:00…on most nights. I glanced at the clock again - 9:08, 1 hour, 52 minutes to go - and sighed once more.
God, I hate non-work Friday nights.
If only…I could be happily scrubbing dishes at my diner job…or mopping the floor of the grocery store…or running around in that horrendous chicken suit passing out fliers…
To this day, I still don't know what made me desperate enough to take on the chicken suit job. Things at home weren't exactly that bad, but it's just a bit of a stretch for Yuzu and I to hit the mall for the new fall trends and useless stuff like that. The essentials - rice, vegetables, stain removers - we can afford. Besides, it's late summer and still sweltering…and did I mention I have to wear a chicken suit?
"Karin-chan!" A sweaty, cheerful-looking Suki plops down on an empty stool next to me. "You sure you don't wanna dance with us?"
I snorted. "Most definitely."
Most of my routine on club nights is simple; sip my cherry coke, and chat up Harry the bartender. "Where's Haruna?" I asked nonchalantly, observing my glass of coke with fascinated obscurity. If I didn't love my two best friends so much, this nightclub would be the last place I'd go to spend my Friday nights.
Suki sighed. "Still dancing with Kei. Should we break it to her he's gay? I mean, before it gets too far. After all, there's plenty of guys who'd take her on, don't you think?" She twirled a long, blond curl of hair and smoothes her pink miniskirt, waiting for my response somewhat worriedly.
"Haruna's too smart for that. If you ask me, she's just playing with him. I wouldn't worry," I say automatically, twirling my drink.
"Heh. I suppose you're right," Suki cast her eyes in the direction of some guy, caught his eye, then glanced away. Some time ago Haruna tried to teach me that game, but I was hopeless at it. I either stared too long and made my target uncomfortable or not long enough and never caught his attention. "You sure you don't want to join us?"
"I'm sure. Harry! I need a refill!" I wave her away towards the dancefloor. "Meet you guys later."
Harry, a bald man in his late forties, grinned up at me from the beer jugs (and sodas for those of us who are underage), displaying a polished golden tooth. "Sorry 'bout that darlin'. What can I get for ya?"
I pushed my empty glass toward him. "Hey, Harry. Think you can give me a refill?"
He shook his shiny bald head and chuckled. "Oh nononono, you girls'll blame me when you gain ten pounds," he teases goodnaturedly, "You can thank me later."
Before I could argue, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see a dark, beautiful girl biting her blood red lip. She only did that when she was really worried…
"Haruna," I greeted her, "What's up?"
She peered across the dancefloor strangely and signaled for me to lean closer. "Karin, I didn't want to worry you before, but there's this guy who's been staring at you really strangely…ever since we came," she said seriously. Haruna tilted her head toward a man - who must've been at least fifty, let me tell you that - with silver hair slicked back with gel, wearing an expensive looking waistcoat and striped trousers. In other words, your typical butler uniform. I instantly got this mental picture of butler-guy serving tea to the queen of England. Haha...it's a funny crowd I attract in the club...I mean, most of the time, I just had to turn down the occasional desperate sod...
I gulped.
He was staring right at me.
It was the way he was looking at me that was unnerving. I could see the interest in his eyes…It made me shudder.
I grabbed Haruna's arm. "Let's get the hell out of here."

A/N: Yes, this is a HitsuKarin story. This story is also available on DeviantArt and Fanfiction.net, so no, nobody stole it from me. Please review!! Anything you want to say is appreciated!