Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Mistaken Identity ❯ Revelations ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: for the nth time, Bleach. Not. Mine
 
[A/N]
I'm so sad. I did not get as much reviews as I would have wanted to. *sighs*
Then on second thought, it isn't about the quantity but the quality. And good quality was what I got. Though it wouldn't hurt if the quantity was as good as the quality. :]
 
To everyone who has reviewed, thank you! Sorry if there wasn't much fluff in the last chap. We'll get there I promise :)
 
 
 
 
Revelations
 
 
 
“Is he still at it?” Ishida asked Chad as he entered their rented room, holding parchments of mail.
 
“Never left the bed”
 
It has been almost 24 hours since Ichigo met the tattooed face guy and he still can't get over the fact that Rukia might, at this very moment, is being punished or worse hurt. He is lying supine on the bed, both arms raised above his head, hands behind, supporting his head. Though he is itching to just barge inside the palace and demand to see Rukia, the guy's words renders him useless and rooted in his bed. Much as he wants to see and rescue her, he wouldn't want to aggravate her situation in the palace. Maybe if he did just get the fuck away from her, like what that guy said, they wouldn't have to hurt her. Damn! Damn! Damn!
 
“Oi Ichigo! Get your lazy ass out of the bed! There's a letter from the king!”
 
Oh shit! Fuck! The king! For the past few days he has completely forgotten everything about his so called betrothal, courtesy of the king. Oh man! He doesn't need this right now. Not when he still doesn't know where Rukia exactly is and what they are doing to her.
 
Rukia. Damn! He doesn't know what exactly he is feeling. Part of him wants to just barge into the palace and demand that they release her. But another part is afraid that they would hurt her terribly even before he could get to her if he did. Rukia... “Ouch!” The parchment suddenly landed on his forehead. “What the fuck is your problem Ishida?” rising halfway from the bed, his upper body supported by his left elbow, his right hand going over the sore spot the parchment has landed in.
 
“Letter from the king dimwit”
 
“I heard you clearly the first time asshole!” Fully getting out of bed and going over to where the said letter got thrown over. Ichigo was almost afraid to read the letter. Damn! What if he is ordered to marry the princess as soon as possible? It's not right, somewhere, someone, a voice echoed in his head. “I'll read it later” Tucking the said letter in the dresser he turned his back to Ishida. He has no time or rather the inclination to think about the king and his supposed to be fiancée at this exact moment.
 
-----------------------------------------------------
 
Where the hell is Shuuhei? Rukia has been looking all over the palace for him. She has to know what happened yesterday. She was pretty sure it was Ichigo's reiatsu that she felt, along with Shuuhei's just yesterday. It was Ichigo, no doubt about it. Now if she could just find where the devil Shuuhei is, maybe the anxiety that she has been feeling since she felt the flare of their reiatsu would ease up and subside.
 
Dammit Shuuhei! Where are you? I need to know if Ichigo is fine, I have to know what happened!
 
She has already scoured the whole floors of the palace, even the towers. And truth be told, she is getting tired. She was so worried last night that she wasn't even able to eat and get anything past her throat. She hadn't even bothered with breakfast. She has gotten up quite early from a restless sleep just so she could find out the truth. If only Ulquiorra wasn't watching her closely yesterday, she would have gone after and followed their reiatsu's trail.
 
Just as she was about to enter the vast palace kitchen she heard the trumpets blaring a very familiar sound. She stopped in her tracks, Oh hell! “Nii-sama”. Everywhere around he people had started to scurry and make haste, buzzing with a flurry of activity, all intent on welcoming their prince.
 
Rukia was caught between indecision. For one, her brother's arrival would mean that she has to get dressed and welcome him as a proper princess should. But she would rather see and talk to Shuuhei at this time. Thinking and deciding quickly, she ran out, past the kitchen towards the stables, to continue her search.
 
“Princess” Ulquiorra called “the prince has just arrived.” He has seen her dart out towards the stables, no doubt to find Hisagi.
 
“Oh, yes, of course” Sighing dejectedly she went her way into her room to change. Shuuhei would have to wait. Damn!
 
-------------------------------------------------------
 
Rukia was standing hesitantly by he library doors. Her hands going over her hair and her white gown, smoothing out any creases and folds. Kami! Why the library? The said room was the only room in the palace that was sound proof. They can yell and curse inside and yet no one would hear. That is why all the serious and delicate family issues and meetings were held and conducted there. And that includes the times when her brother would yell at her for disobeying palace rules. There were no guards standing by the door. They knew better than to hang around when the prince and the princess would be having their talk there. Even the servants knew that they are not to disturb them when the door is locked.
 
And now here she is, standing by the closed doors, not really wanting to come in, trying to prolong the inevitable. From the looks of it, her brother must have known what she has been doing in her absence, hence the library. What could have Ulqui said to nii-sama? Her mind going over the possible situations that the royal guard could have presented to her brother, along with some likely and probable explanations in her defense.
 
I am so much in dipshit. Well, here goes nothing. Squaring her shoulders and taking a beep breath, she cautiously turned the knob and opened the door.
 
There, standing in the middle of the room was her brother, whose usually calm, unemotional face was looking grim and angry. Oh dear! she thought. After locking the door behind she bowed down, curtsying “Welcome home your highness” keeping her eyes downcast, waiting for the outburst to start. But it didn't come. She felt him moving about and took a peek. He was now standing near the windows, his back facing hers. Uh-oh, nii-sama is definitely displeased and disappointed with me, she thought and sighed again.
 
“Sit down Rukia”
 
“H-hai” Seating herself in one of the wing backed chairs facing the table and waited again with bated breath.
 
“Who were you meeting outside the palace?” He asked, still not facing her.
 
Her head snapped up, heart beat doubling. “I…it…n…no one nii-sama”
 
“I'm not going to ask again. Don't make it any harder for whoever it is that you are lying to me for.” This time looking straight at her, his eyes angry and glinting.
 
“It…it's not what you think nii-sama. Let me explain” her voice was pleading. Her eyes looking earnestly straight at her brother, silently asking, no, imploring to hear her out first. He did not reply, but just sat in his chair, completely facing her now. Interpreting it as a sign that he would listen, Rukia wasted no time to defend her friends. “They are nice people nii-sama. They treated me well and took care of me. They did not do anything bad. They are my friends” she ended lamely seeing as she got no reaction from her brother.
 
“Nice?” he said so soflty and silkily that the effect was scarier than yelling at her. “You disregarded my orders” she flinched at his words.
 
“I didn't mean to”
 
“You lied to me, lied explicitly, in my face, yet you tell me they are nice?” His voice dropping lower, yet more menacing than before.
 
“I'm sorry” She was now deliriously close to tears. She just made her brother angry. She never meant to hurt him, to lie to him, well if he did not find out then she wouldn't exactly have to lie. She thought she could keep it a secret. She just needed to know. To know how it is outside. Was that such a crime?
 
“Kuchiki's do not lie. Nor do they go against the rules.”
 
“Hai. I won't do it again” her head was bowed, her hands clumped into fists on her lap.
 
“Who are they” leaning back in his chair, arms folded in front.
 
“Nii-sama!” her head jerked up. No, he couldn't. If she told him their names she was sure that he'll order his men to capture and torture them. “I won't see them again, I promise…please”
 
“I want names Rukia” He saw her get off the chair and kneeled down in front of his table, she bowed down further her head resting on the back of her palms which were pressed on the floor. “Please brother. I promise I won't have anything to do with them. Just don't”
 
It pains him to see her, his own sister in such a state. She shouldn't have to humble herself and bow down like this. She is a Kuchiki for crying out loud! But the thought that she was able to get outside of the palace walls without any guards or companions, mixing and meeting up with commoners makes his blood boil. The thought that she deliberately disobeyed his wishes makes him want to shake her so hard till some sort of common sense was knocked into her. The knowledge that she has befriended commoners, that they were able to come into close proximity with her, talk to her and touch her makes him want to turn them, whomever had the gall to come near her sister, into ashes. They have no right to come near a Kuchiki. And Kuchiki's do not act like Rukia and do what she has done. And that, that is the main reason for his anger.
 
But seeing his sister in such a state… Why do I even bother? He asked himself. “Stand up Rukia”
 
Her head snapped up, but she did not rise from her current position, but a glimmer of hope could be seen in her eyes. “I promise not to see them again Nii-sama. Please”
 
He leaned into his table, his chin on his hand, its elbows resting on the gleaming table surface. “You're right you won't. I don't think your betrothed would approve anyway.”
 
“Thank you brother” she stood up brushing and smoothing out her gown. “I really….” Then she stopped, her hands stilled in the air, her sentence hung unfinished. She did not just hear that. Her brother has just not said that. He didn't right? She slowly looked into her brother's eyes. The finality in his face was unmistakable. No. This could not be happening.
 
He saw her blanch, her face draining of its color. “Your engagement will be announced in a party that we will be hosting next week.” Not even waiting for a reply, he went on “It'll be a masquerade party. The seamstress will be here tomorrow at noon.” He saw her regain her composure, her chin jutting forward in the familiar Kuchiki arrogance, her back straightening and her shoulders stiff. Defiance was written in her face. “You would do well to heed this Rukia. Grandfather Yama-ji has already decreed it.” He said even before she could protest. Using the king's family nickname for more emphasis.
 
She shot him a look that would have made a mere man squirm. He would have been proud to see her use that look if only it wasn't directed at him “Rukia…” he said threateningly. She lowered her eyes but not before he saw tears brimming in it. Not before he saw the hurt and anger reflected in her violet orbs. Without a word she ran out of the library.
 
Byakuya slumped back in his seat, his forefinger and thumb pinching the bridge of his nose. How he hated what he just did to his own sister. He wanted to tell her everything. Share with her how he really feels about the whole set up. But somehow the words never left his brain. Damn! That Ichigo Kurosaki has a lot to answer for.
 
He felt Ulquorra move out of from one of the rows of bookshelves. “Shall I follow her Your Highness?”
 
“Let her be for now” and stood up.
 
“She might go and see her friends” placing emphasis on the word friends.
 
Byakuya did not respond. Instead “I'm leaving the party's details to your hands” not even bothering to look at Ulquiorra. “I don't want to be disturbed” he added as he went out of the library.
 
Ulquiorra sighed. The prince has just as effectively given her sister permission to contact and see her so called friends. He turned and called for one of the guards, instructing them to leave the princess alone for now. If only the people could see how much the prince loves and cares for his sister, they wouldn't call him cold and uncaring.
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 
Rukia didn't know exactly where she was heading. She was running, running away from the fact that her brother has just given her off to someone. Like a piece of junk, without even consulting her. She could feel the tears threatening to slide down, but held it at bay. She was not going to cry. She didn't know what else to do, so she just kept on running.
 
---------------------------------------------------------
 
“Dammit!” he cursed loudly. Making up his mind he stood, took his zanpakuto and slung it in his back. Just who the hell does that tattooed face freak thinks he is? If Rukia was being hurt right now, the more the reason he should rescue her. To hell with the engagement! Rukia needs him now. Luckily both Chad and Ishida were out. They would have both restrained him if they were here. Not that it would do much to stop him anyway.
 
He went directly to the area where they usually meet. Where he first saw her. Thinking that he would scout it first to see just where he could break in. He was nearing the palace borders and noticed that there were more guards and more activity today than the past weeks. He remembered Ishida saying something about the prince but couldn't remember what it was. Not that he was listening anyway. He was quite distracted earlier.
 
He went within the outskirts of the forest crouching low, just in case a guard comes to patrol the area. He was silently running from tree to tree, waiting for the perfect time to scale the outer palace wall when he heard something, a scruff, a bit deeper into the forest. Was it a guard? He stealthily crept up towards the sound. It sounded like someone was crying. Muffled sobs more like it. He released his grip from the hilt of his zanpakuto, maybe it was someone needing help.
 
Then he saw her. She was half kneeling, half slumped in the ground, head bowed, her shoulders shaking with every deep breath she took. Sunlight was filtering thru the gaps of the tree leaves, lighting the area with rays of sunlight, which just made her look ethereal. Her white Grecian inspired, one shouldered gown was adorned with pearls and glittering stones both in the bodice and skirt making her sparkle. The soft folds of her skirt was ballooned on the ground with her in the middle like a fairy or flower princess. Her black hair was the perfect contrast to the pure whitenes of her dress. Not to mention the creamy smoothness of he bare shoulder. For a moment he was mesmerized by the sight of her. Who could she be? Damn! I have to get this over with. Rukia still needs me. He thought.
 
Approaching carefully “Er, miss? Do you need some help?”
 
He saw her stiffen, and slowly raised her head. He felt his heart lodge in his throat. “Ru…Rukia?”
 
She didn't even notice him approaching her. She was too busy cursing fate and her brother. And trying so damn hard not to cry. Then he was there, in front of her. Her heart escalated, thumping wildly in her chest. God, it was so good to see him. She doesn't know why, but the fact that he is here, with her, made her feel better.
 
In an instant he was there, crouching in front, facing her. He saw her puffy red eyes but noticed that her cheeks were dry. Her breath hitching from trying not to cry. He could see the sadness and hurt in her violet depths. He felt anger, anger at the person who made her cry. “What happened? Who hurt you?” he asked his hands gripping her shoulder.
 
She looked into his amber eyes and saw something in there something that she could not define in her current state. Something which made her heart flutter. How she wished she could just tell him everything. The truth about her identity. Her brother. Her life inside the palace. Her engagement. And how much she would rather be with him. Oh dear! She did not just think about being with him. What the hell is wrong with me? Damn! Everything is just so damn confusing now.
 
No, she could not tell him. It'll just put him and the others in jeopardy. Maybe it's better this way. She shouldn't really be here. If her brother knew about this, about him, Ichigo would be in a lot of trouble. Looking back down “Not…nothings wrong Ichigo”
 
He heard the catch in her voice and knew that she was lying. What ever it is that she is feeling, he is feeling it too. How he would love to see her smile again. Heck, even a kick in the shin would be more preferable than the pain he is feeling just by the sight of her in this state. He cupped her chin in his forefinger and gently raised her head. He was once again astounded at just how beautiful her eyes were. Clear translucent violets. He held her eyes. Tell me what's wrong. I'm here, let me help you. I care. His eyes conveyed the words that he couldn't utter.
 
She couldn't take it anymore. She understood what he meant without even speaking. Her chin began to tremble, the tears with only graced the edges of her eyes earlier flowed freely down her cheeks. And for the second time in her life she cried. She cried for what could have been. She cried for the `if only's', the things that she never had and never will. She cried for her brother. Cried for Ichigo, and cried for herself.
 
Ichigo held her close, her head resting on her chest. He could feel the wetness seeping in thru his shirt but he didn't care. One of his hands going through her hair while the other at her back, clasping her tighter to him. Dammit! Who ever did this to Rukia would surely pay.
 
They stayed in that position for a while till he felt her breathing even out. “Rukia?” he gently nudged her only to find that she had fallen asleep. Careful not to wake her he slowly and tenderly positioned her in his chest, lifting her so that she would be sitting in his lap, his left arm supporting her back while his right was clasped around her waist, and her head cushioned in his chest. Oh well, they still have a few more hours before the sun sets, he could at least offer her a few hours of respite from whatever it is that's troubling her. And once he knew what really happened, the one responsible would surely pay, a lot.
 
------------------------------------------------------
 
She was being pulled out from her warm cocoon. She doesn't want to leave yet. The warmth felt so good. She felt safe and secure. But the nagging voice was becoming louder and louder, making it difficult to ignore. It was calling her name. She slowly opened her eyes and met his chest. Her eyes strayed upwards towards his face, her pulse rising with her sight and eyes. “Ichigo?” looking into his amber eyes. Then everything came rushing back to her, her mind assimilating where she is, what she is doing and how close she was to Ichigo. My god! She was practically sitting in his lap! Face flushed she scramble up and out of his grasp.
 
“Dammit Rukia! Was it necessary to chuck me?”
 
“Ah, he he, sorry”
 
“Oi, want to tell me what that was all about?” he started to raise himself up.
 
“What was what?” feigning innocence, using her school girl voice which he really hated. He gripped her arm and started pulling her towards the town.
 
“Where are we going?”
 
“Somewhere we can talk. You are going to tell me exactly what was that all about.” Still pulling her along towards the town.
 
She snatched her hand away “I, can't” remembering her brothers' threat. “I really have to go” but he grabbed her once again before she could even turn around. “No, you are going to tell me what happened, who did that to you, and why you were crying.” His eyes serious, not taking no for an answer.
 
“What is it to you anyway?” trying to get out of his grasp. “There is nothing you can do anyway”
 
“Try me”
 
“Fine!” She stopped wriggling and faced him fully “You want to know why? I just found out this morning that my brother….he… he… had betrothed me. Betrothed me to a spineless asshole who is probably twice my age, with a big tummy and bad breath who waddles when he walks. There, satisfied?” Her eyes blazing with fury.
 
“You're…you're betrothed?” He could not believe what he just heard. It felt like a vise was squeezing his heart. “No.” Still hoping that she's just kidding. “That's one stupid joke midget. Who'd want to get hooked up with a short tempered elfin like you anyway?” He was waiting for the usual kick or punch but it never came.
 
“Come on.” Pulling her again. She can't. She just can't. He doesn't know why but she just can't get married.
 
“What?! Where?!”
 
“You're running away” How she wished to Kami that it could be as simple as that. “And where would I go? Would you let me come with you guys? Because you're the only friends I know who'll help me.” She waited silently for his answer. Part of her wants him to say no. Saying no would not complicate things further, would not make her yearn for more. She just cannot leave her brother like that. It is her obligation to him and their kingdom. This is her destiny. But another part of her wants to hear him say that he'll take care of her. God, please don't let it be the latter. I wouldn't be able to say no.
 
Her words stopped him. What the hell was he doing? He can't just take her away. There is still the king. And, dammit, his fiancée as well. But he wants to. God knows how much he wants to. But he can't. “I…I can't”
 
She felt daggers stabbing her chest. His refusal cut her deep. But his next words made her want to just die. “I…” He run his hands through his hair. “I'm engaged as well”
 
 
[A/N]
 
Whew! Pretty heavy stuff!
 
We are more than halfway thru the story. Things are going to get more hectic, fluffier and squishier in the next few chaps.
 
So, any comments? Be brutal if you must but please, please tell me what you think. Review button is just there. Go on click it, I know you want to. Click it. Click it. Click it.