Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ No Such Thing As Never Too Late ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The creaking of the bamboo cage woke the man sleeping on the futon below it. The little finch hopped from peg to peg, chirping as the first rays of light streamed in through the small window above the bed. He opened his eyes slowly and glanced around the room, the gold irises almost glinting in the sunlight. Satisfied that all was well, they closed again. With a long, deep breath that filled his lungs, his arms slid around the woman beside him and hauled her up against him, allowing him to bury his face against the wealth of black hair.
She let out a soft sigh at being disturbed so early in the day, but the warmth of his body and the security of his strong arms around her soon disbursed any annoyance she might have felt. It would be time for her to wake soon anyway. The last day of harvest in the village. Tomorrow she could sleep as late as she wanted to, next to the man she loved.
The silence was broken by the even pattering of bare feet running over the rough wood floor. A young boy, perhaps six or seven flung himself down onto the futon at their feet and then crawled his way up to wedge his body between them.
“Mayuri-san, will you teach me more today?” He asked, his face mere inches from the man’s.
“Yes.” He grumbled without opening his eyes, a bit annoyed at having the woman shimmied from his grasp. The emotion was easily quelled though, within the first moment of focusing his mind. “But a true warrior has patience, and not simply when waiting for an enemy to make a mistake. Go sit outside and prepare the bokken, then wait for me. I will be out in ten minutes.” He told the young boy.
He excitedly jumped up, and more calmly then his entrance, left the room, the sound of his footsteps retreating back into silence. Even the bird had gone quiet. He opened his eyes when he felt the first indications of her body shifting as she turned to face him.
“He looks to you as he might his own father.” She said softly, her soft brown eyes groggily meeting his. “And you treat him as you might your own son.” She couldn’t hide the appreciation in her voice when she told him this.
“He is of you. His happiness makes you happy, therefore, his happiness is as much my responsibility as your own.” He pointed out calmly. “Besides, he shows an aptitude for the blade, it is a joy to teach the art to such a bright student.” He informed her. “Does it bother you that he has an interest in such a life-threatening art?”
The woman thought about it for a moment before shaking her head. “It is honorable, I think, to be a warrior. If he learns well, and is as good as you say, then I have little fear for his life. A good warrior does not fall easily in battle, right?”
The man nodded with a soft smile. “You are right, and I will ensure that he has all of the tools needed to return home to you safe and sound.” He assured her.
“Well if anyone can teach him, I suppose it’s a being from another world all together who’s only life is to fight soul sucking monsters.” She laughed, nuzzling his chest lightly, making him shiver at the contact of her lips against his skin. “You had better go out there before Hayaki gets excited and comes back in to attack us.” She laughed, letting her fingers slide through his dark hair before releasing him.
“Mm, I suppose you’re right.” Mayuri agreed reluctantly. He slipped from the bed and pulled on his clothes for the day.
The fabric was rough and unrefined. Certainly not as nice as could be found in Soul Society but this had a more satisfying feel to it. Someone’s hands had crafted every fiber of this garment, someone’s livelihood thrived on him wearing this garment. His work was hard, to be sure, but this spoke of a dedication as well.
At first, the thought of being put on this assignment, a long term station in the living world, had been disheartening. Being separated from one’s home for so long was off putting to say the least. As time had gone on, nearly five years now, he’d grown to love it. Another glance at the woman in the bed, trying to squeeze a few more minutes of sleep out of the fading night, confirmed that feeling.
He was glad to be here. His gigai now felt as real to him as his body in Soul Society, perhaps even more comfortable. Especially when he had the lovely Keiko in his arms. His light in the dark, hard world that was the living realm.
She had been the wife of a man who was completely undeserving of life, let alone a beautiful, loving woman and beautiful child. He’d been a warrior, but a hard one prone to indulging in sake and temper. He’d left when their son was very young and had never been seen again. Mayuri often wondered if he could find him and teach him a lesson, but then Keiko would remind him that he was in a different part of their lives and could no longer hurt them.
Besides if he did return, then Mayuri would be there to protect them. Now that he was in her life, she had nothing to fear on any front. She had lied to the other villagers and insisted they had been married. As a single woman, with a child, she was no longer pressured to marry. It also gave her son a strong man to look up to. A man more deserving of the role than the man who had fathered him.
Stepping out into the cool autumn air, Mayuri could see the beginnings of chill breath streaming from his lips. Soon enough it would be easy to see. The little boy was sitting cross legged in the small area that served as a backyard for Keiko’s house. Two training swords sat on the drying grass, one in front of him, the other a few feet away. His eyes opened and he grinned happily at seeing the man approach.
He was about average height for a man, though his presence could have been overwhelming for a man taller and larger than he. His body was all muscle, well honed and kept, fluid with it’s grace and surety. His lithe form also made him appear taller than he actually was. His skin was perhaps a bit more pale than was healthy, but a smart man wouldn’t be fooled by such a thing.
“Are you ready to begin, Hayaki?”
The boy nodded solemnly and the lesson began.

The softly falling snow sent a chill through Keiko’s body, which sent her burrowing deeper against Mayuri. They sat on the small porch overlooking the sprawling valley in which they lived. Mayuri held her against his chest as she sat between his legs. Her head rested back against his shoulder comfortably, nestled against his body with the heavy wool blanket draped over them.
“Hayaki claims himself in love.” She said softly. The silence had been comforting, but this had been bothering her for some time and it always helped to voice her troubles to him.
“Is that so? The young man has his first love.” Mayuri said with a soft chuckle. “Only thirteen and already wise to the ways of romance?”
“Mm, it would seem so.” She said with pursed lips. “Are you not worried?”
“Why would I be?” Mayuri asked with as much innocence as possible. He wouldn’t want her to think that he thought her worrying to be foolish. “Soon enough he will realize that love is something that needs to be work on, nourished and built upon. His infatuation will fade. Then he’ll have another, but eventually he will learn what true love is.” He assured her. “It may, however, take a few minor heart breaks to come to the realization though.”
Keiko sighed softly. “If only I could spare him the pain I have felt.”
“Not all romances end as horribly as your first did.” He pointed out, kissing the top of her head gently, taking in a deep lungful of her heady scent. “And it gave me an opening to be with you.” He added. “So not all ends badly.”
“True.” She laughed. “I still have yet to figure out how it is you came into my life. You just walked in one day. I still have fears that you will remove yourself from my life just as easily.”
He squeezed her against him gently. She shivered slightly as his hair, which now needed a haircut as it fell to his shoulders, tickled her cheek. “Do not fear such a thing.” I will be here for many hundreds of years, to endure the pain of your passing long after you are gone. He added silently to himself. Yet, the memory of moments like these would sustain him for the rest of his life. This assignment had been the best thing to happen to him. “I do not believe that I will be removed from here in the near future. Those with assignments like mine are doing much good for the world.” He assured her.

The yearly report trip to Soul Society had not gone smoothly this year. The higher ups were thinking of calling back all of the shinigami from their extended posts in the real world. They said that most hollow could be handled on a single encounter basis and that there was no longer any need for their continued presence there. Within the next year, he should be expected to return to Seireitei for permanent positioning within one of the 13 Court Guard Squads. The Living Realm Scout Force would be disbanded.
By the time Mayuri had returned to the living world, and the valley he called home, he was furious. There was no way he could return home like this and worry Keiko. What would he do? He’d promised to marry her, in front of the village elders who were beginning to ask questions. This would prove they had nothing to hide and he wasn’t afraid of showing the world that he belonged to her.
It was pure dumb luck that had him stumble across the path of a hollow. This would be the perfect vent for him, just what he needed. After putting a good fight behind him, he would be able to go home to Keiko and perhaps even work up the courage to tell why he would have to leave. With a growl of annoyance at reminding himself of the pain he would cause her, he jumped into the trees and toward the distant sound of a lumbering hollow.
The creature was clearly inept, perhaps even a newly formed hollow. He came up behind it and with a sweep of his blade, cut a bloody gash over its back. It howled in pain and whirled to face him, but ended up stumbling as the poison on his zanpakuto moved through its body. With a weak cry, it fell onto his back and spasmed against the ground.
Judging by the short amount of time it took to weaken it, the creature was a very weak one. Looming over it, Mayuri scowled in disgust at the creature, it’s blank, black eyes staring up at him. There was no malice or hate in its gaze, it simply was. A creature bound by instinct to devour souls of the living and dead. It couldn’t even understand at its young age why it was hunted by such a man.
It gave a weak yowl of pain and attempted to raise an arm when Mayuri sliced a long wound down it’s disfigured torso. It was rewarded by the removal of its limb. Still, Mayuri did not kill it. He watched it squirm in pain, ever weakening even as it attempted to attack him in defense. Another limb went before he removed all three of the long, spindly legs in one swoop.
Broken and destroyed, the creature could only whine for release and hiss in rage as it twitched on the ground. Mayuri watched it for a long few minutes, standing well out of its range to do harm, though it was incapacitated. Finally, no longer entertained by its pain, a slice through the mask dissolved the creature and any of the limbs that remained on the ground.

“Mayuri!” Hayaki called out, raising an arm to make himself seen as he jogged toward the taller man. He had grown into a handsome young man, many of his features mirroring his mothers. His dark hair was pulled back into a topknot, which was fitting for his oval face. His brown eyes were much lighter than Keiko’s, but still held the laughter of the little boy he’d grown to love.
“Not now, Hayaki.” Mayuri grumbled, sliding closed the door behind him before the young man could argue. In his early 20’s now, he was able to understand that it was nothing personal. Something was wrong, clearly, but in time he would find out what was bothering his mother’s lover, if it was worth knowing. Perhaps he was just having a bad day.
Keiko frowned, watching him slide the door closed in her son’s face. “Mayuri,” she said, a slight hint of admonishment in her voice. “What is the matter with you?”
“I have to talk to you about something.” He said, his gaze dark with some, yet unknown to her, troubles.
Her frown turned from one of disapproval to worry. “You don’t want to marry me.” She said flatly. She had always secretly worried that she had been nothing more than a tool to warm his bed and home to occupy.
He half glared at her, walking to grip her shoulders. “Don’t be stupid.” He admonished. Then, more gently, he pulled her against him. “I want nothing more than to marry you. But I don’t know if I’ll be allowed to do so.”
“What in the world are you talking about?” She asked him, trying to pull away from him slightly to look up.
“My superiors are, stupidly, thinking about recalling my assignment.” He said flatly, letting his displeasure show in his voice.
“Well what does that mean?” She asked with a small, nervous laugh that held no humor. She knew what he was, that he was not fully mortal as she was, but suddenly realized how little about him she knew.
“That I would have to go back to my world.” He said, explaining it in the simplest way he knew how.
She stopped a moment, thinking over what she wanted to say, what it would mean to her. “Would I be able to go with you? Would we, Hayaki and I?”
Slowly, Mayuri shook his head. “I’m afraid not.” It was only a half lie. But, he wasn’t about to tell her that if he killed them, in a way, they would be able to go.
Again, she was silent. She remained so for quite a while, standing in front of him with her gaze lowered, hiding her expressions. It killed him not to see her face. He wanted to know what she was thinking. Would she understand? Not that it would make it any easier, he told himself inwardly. Finally, he touched her cheek gently, forcing down the anger he felt toward himself. He’d had no right to fall in love with her, or worse, to let her fall in love with him. He should have known that it would never work.
“Keiko?”
“You’ve been here for 17 years, Mayuri. Did you know that?” She asked, pausing a moment. He knew she wasn’t asking expecting an answer, so he remained silent. “Every day, of every month, of all of those 17 years I’ve expected you to walk out of my life.”
He opened his mouth to say something, but immediately stopped when she looked up at him, tears making her brown eyes sparkle. Had they been tears of joy, it would have been a stunningly beautiful look, but the pain that reflected from her soul cut into him like a knife. “And now I’m getting older, my hair will start turning grey and wrinkles will grow more prominent, my body will start to sag and grow out instead of up.” Her hands slid into the slight part at the front of his kimono.
“But you,” She said, sliding it open and over his shoulders so that it hung from his waist where it tucked into his hakama. “You are as perfect as the day you walked into this village. Not a muscle has grown soft, not a hair changed from it’s original color and not a line on your perfect face.” Her fingers drew down his jaw to fall and rest on his bare chest, feeling the hard muscles beneath the palm of her hand.
“Keiko!” He fairly yelled, grabbing a hold of her hand between both of his. “You are more beautiful now than the day I first laid eyes on you. I will not hear you speak such things of yourself. I did not first persure you for your looks and it will not be the reason I leave. If I had my way, I would never leave, no matter how grey, wrinkled or saggy you become. If I had the power, I would age with you.”
He shook his head, almost angry that she’d even think such a thing. “I don’t think I can fully explain to you why I have to leave. To stay would mean my death, and perhaps yours as well. I cannot stand for such a thing. You just have to trust that I will find you again someday.” He knew the odds of finding one specific soul in Soul Society after their death. An odd that was made even longer when one did not know when said soul would enter Soul Society, if they ever did at all. Even if he could meet such odds, he would have to get her to fall in love with him all over again as she would have no memory of her former life.
“You’re leaving. No amount of wishing and hoping will keep you here.” She said with a resigned sigh. When he looked into her eyes the light he had fallen in love with was fading. “From what I hear, I will not be the same when we meet again, and neither will you. If we ever meet again. You talk in your sleep sometimes.” She told him. “You have nightmares about running through streets trying to find me. You always wake up, but you never find me.” She murmured, her voice growing softer as her tale went on.
“But I did find you once. Against forces that would oppose us, both in your world and mine. I will find you again.” He promised vehemently, more to himself than her. He was afraid to admit the truth. “Please, Keiko, don’t give up on me now. We have several months together before I’ll be recalled, perhaps even a whole year. During that time we can figure this out. We can make it work. I love you, I have to make this work.” He told her, squeezing her against him tightly. “I will make it work. I would rather die than be without you in my life.”
He felt her hands slide up his back, one bunching in his hair to hold tightly. “So would I…” She whispered against his shoulder.

They were given nearly a full year together before the order to return came. He stretched that time for as long as he could, avoiding telling her for nearly a week after the messenger departed. Their year together had been filled with life and many of the milestones that were meant to be celebrated. They were married as planned, a ceremony that helped Keiko’s mood considerably. No matter what happened, even if she never saw him again, she had a connection with him that no one could refute. Years down the road, someone might tell her he never existed, but she would know that he wasn’t just a dream. They celebrated the birth of their first grandchild. Hayaki refused to think of Mayuri now as anything other than his father. Here was a man who had raised him, who had taken care of him and his mother and most importantly, made both of them happy.
The little boy who’d almost been afraid of Mayuri when he’d first appeared had grown into quite the man. He’d been a better student than Mayuri could have ever dreamed for. A formidable warrior who would be able to protect the village for decades after Mayuri left. Perhaps that had been his purpose for training him all along. Not the boy’s desire to learn, but for a need to leave protection after he was gone. Even perhaps to leave a legacy.
Keiko sat with her son now, beside his beautiful wife with her grandchild happily in her arms. Mayuri stood behind her, smiling down softly at the infant in his wife’s arms. He looked exactly as Hayaki had when he was an infant Keiko told him. It allowed him to fill in some of the blank spots of his life before Mayuri, memories he, as a father, should possess.
When Keiko smiled up at him, he saw, as if for the first time, what a beautiful woman she had blossomed into. When they had first met, two decades ago, she was lovely to be sure. Curves to make the waves of the sea jealous, hair a silk worm would envy and eyes so bright they blinded him with love. She had aged slightly, but all of those qualities were there now, and more.
Her hands were weathered with work and love. It had been hard to raise a child on her own for a time, but she’d been given help. It allowed her to turn toward love as well. Those hands had given him pleasure and comfort both. They knew every inch of his body, every strand of hair and curve of his face. Just as he knew her. He looked down at his own ageless hands. They had not changed during his time in the living world. He doubted there would be little change at all in the next hundred years. But oh, how he wished they would.
When the infant began to yawn and fidget, his mother took him gently back. Hayaki smiled and kissed his mother’s cheek before hugging Mayuri roughly. He left Keiko to walk them out, though his intentions were not so simple.
“Hayaki, could I speak to you for a moment?” The young man nodded and bid his wife to go ahead and make her way home. He would just be a step behind.
“Is something wrong?” He asked seriously.
Mayuri nodded after a moment. “I have to leave.” When Hayaki opened his mouth to speak, Mayuri raised a patient hand. “Not for a few days, or weeks, but forever. I can’t explain to you why, or where I will be going, but know that there is nothing within my power to prevent it. If I could stay here forever, I would.”
Hayaki nodded solemnly, sadly. There was nothing else for him to say. He knew better than to argue with Mayuri. No words would change it. This was his statement of fact.
“I would have you look after your mother. I know you do already, but more will be needed. I fear she will try something when I am gone. She may try to hurt herself. You’ll need to help her move forward. Make sure she is happy, don’t let her pass up a good life, or a good man in my memory.”
“I will try my best, but I do not think I will be able to do as you ask. In my mother’s eyes, and my own as well, there is no better life, and no better man for her than you, Mayuri. You came when she needed you most. You filled the role of husband and father when she was about to give up on life.” He looked down at the ground for a moment.
“Honestly, I’m not convinced there is anything I can do if she decides she does not want to live any more. I will of course keep her from physically harming herself, but people have died before of a broken heart.” He pointed out gently. The sadness in his eyes, despite the extensive training he’d received from Mayuri, was very apparent.
He clapped the boys shoulder and nodded. “I know how they feel.” He said softly. “Take care of yourself and your family. Don’t ever leave them, Hayaki.” He said sternly. He knew it was a double standard, but he hoped that wouldn’t get in Hayaki’s way of obeying him. With a nod, the young man looked up at his father once more before turning and following his wife down the path to their home.
Keiko stood and watched him as he slid the door closed behind him. When she saw the tears swimming in his eyes, a sight she’d never witnessed before, she sank to her knees.
“Keiko…” Her name fell from his lips in a whisper that was barely audible. “Please don’t…” He sank down in front of her and pulled her into his arms.
“It’s okay,” She whispered, her voice breaking. “I’ve had a long time to prepare myself for this. I’m not angry the way I was when you first told me you would be leaving.”
He looked down at her, his hands framing her face. “I don’t want to do this. Keiko, I don’t want to leave you.”
“But you have to.” She told him, wiping away her tears quickly. “When do you have to go?”
“Soon. But not now. I have tonight with you and I don’t care if they like it or not.”
“You’re mine for one more night?” She asked him hopefully, her hands tightening around the fabric of his hakama where they rested on his thighs.
“I am yours forever, Keiko.”

He sat in bed the next morning and debated waking her at all. Would it be easier if he left without saying goodbye, or would she hate him for not giving her the chance to say the words? Eventually, he leaned over to kiss her soft lips, rousing her from her deep sleep. She sat up quickly, her soft brown eyes now wide with fear.
“Already?” She asked, disappointed. He nodded slowly and slipped from the bed.
“You can walk with me to the gate if you’d like.” He told her, his voice almost monotone, completely devoid of emotion.
“But I cannot go through it with you?” She asked, quickly slipping out of bed to dress as well.
“It would mean your death. I cannot allow such a thing, not when there is a chance that I will be able to come back.” He told her, softening slightly when he turned to look at her. Her hair was mussed slightly, kimono hastily thrown on. Still, she was the most beautiful thing he’d ever seen. “I have to thank you, Keiko. You’re the best companion a man could ask for. I will be better for having known you.”
She shook her head quickly and closed her eyes to hold back tears. “You deserved better.”
He laughed softly and pulled her against him. “You did, certainly. I have everything I’ll ever need in you.” He told her. Pulling away gently he finished dressing. Taking up his Zanpakuto, he strapped it to his side.
“It isn’t far.” He told her, turning to face her once more. “Are you sure you want to come?”
“Every moment I can get with you, I will.” She said, hooking her arm through his.
It was still too early for most of the villagers to be up. The strong, heady scent of spring filled the air. Soon the fields would be planted and life would begin again everywhere. Yet, Keiko could not help but feel that her life was ending. There would be no joy in the flowers blooming this year, when she could not share their sweet scent with the one she had loved for the better part of her life. The other half of her soul.
He led her out of the village, to the thin forest that led up the eastern side of their valley. Already he could see the Senkai gate opening in anticipation of his return. He’d expected some sort of reaction from Keiko at its sight. Fear, perhaps awe or wonder. She didn’t seem to notice it.
“You made my life worth living, Mayuri. I don’t know what I’ll do without you. But, if you can promise that I’ll see you again in life, I will live to be 200 waiting for you, and if you can promise I’ll see you again in death, then I will wait my turn to see you again in the afterlife as well. I don’t care when or where, just promise that you will come for me.” She begged him, holding as tightly to him as she could manage.
“I promise.” He told her, his gold eyes affirming his words as he met her gaze. Her fingers brushed through his purple hair, fractured and darkened by the shadows of the early morning sun breaking through the trees.
She kissed him deeply, trying to pour the love for all the years they would miss together into it. “I love you.” She whispered against his lips.
“I love you too, Keiko. Live long, and be happy.” He urged her, before he let her go and stepped back into the gate. The light enveloped him before the doors slid closed and took him away from her forever.
It was said that every day for the rest of her life she went to that forest to wait. The months faded away and blurred together. Sadly, her time on that earth was not to be much longer. The protection of a man such as Mayuri was heavy and the void left by his absence invited more trouble than any in Soul Society could have imagined.
But still, for many years life in the village he departed was slow and steady and for many very happy. The beautiful Keiko never found love again, but she seemed content with the memories she had. Hayaki and his children kept her company as well. A more beautiful grandson or granddaughter would never be found for the rest of time. Their existence and innocent perfection was made sad by the shortness of their lives and the horror that was to follow.
Mayuri would return again, as he had promised, but far too late to save the legacy he had left behind with the people he loved.

To Be Continued.