Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Only For You ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Bleach, or any of its characters. Tite Kubo does. I just own a few names and the plot.
--
Chapter 1
--
At the age of eighteen Abarai Renji was thrown out into a cruel, twisted world that didn't accept him. His hometown was a hard place to live in. at a young age he was forced to steal in order to fed himself. At least back then he had friends. They were gone how. He was alone.
Here he was, after being kicked out of his home, wandering around Rukongai aimlessly. Seireitei was so deeply imbedded into his dreams that he didn't believe in it anymore.
Then he had met Rukia. Immediately e was attracted to her. His brain told him it was love. His heart, which had a voice too faint to be heard, wanted to tell him it was responsibility.
Rukia had her own story.
They were in love once. He believed it was love. They were engaged, going to be married in three months. Everything was going so smoothly. For once in his life, Abarai Renji was happy. Content. Rukia was wonderful. She was so many things at once. Determined, gentle, beautiful. Renji really believed he was in love.
One night, his world flipped.
He was alone in his room, when another young man appeared practically out of nowhere. What's more, this young man was bald.
Ikkaku, he called himself.
“Come be a Shinigami.” He stated. “You have potential in you.”
Renji stared for a few minutes, gaping like a fish. Finally, he regained his voice.
“A what?”
“A Shinigami.” Come with me to Seireitei.”
There was another long, awkward silence before Renji dared to speak again. “Seireitei doesn't exist. Are you crazy? I know a small clinic down the street, Kuros—“
“I think you talk too much. “Ikkaku growled, pulling out a katana. “Here. Your zanpaku-tou.”
“My what?”
“Caught in the light of the crescent moon, you will travel for a loved one.” Ikkaku recited. “Becoming a Shinigami and you will forfeit love.”
Forfeit Rukia? No way. Renji thought. “Are you sure?”
Ikkaku relaxed slightly. “I was half lying. A Shinigami can only love another Shinigami, or you will forfeit your powers. All of them.”
Refuse, his brain told him, but Renji found himself saying, “I'll think about it” instead. There was a third awkward silence as he attempted to stare at his mouth like it betrayed him.
“If you ever think it's worth it, take your zanpaku-tou and give us the signal.” Ikkaku grinned. They would always end up going. He had been exactly the same. Then again, having a seemingly brainless, pink haired little girl suddenly start spouting wisdom in front of you is hard to believe.
“Well, what's the signal?”
“Shikai. You'll know. Ja!”
With a flourish of his sleeve, he was gone.
Renji went to visit Rukia a week later. The wedding was close now, he was so excited.
He walked past her brother Byakuya, who was examining the sakura trees. Kuchiki Byakuya was about as amiable as a brick wall. Renji never bothered to talk to him.
He opened the door to a terrifying sight.
“Good work, Suzumebachi.” A woman was saying. Her braided hair appeared to be covered in bandages.
No, that wasn't too scary. Upon first glance, Renji had the fleeting thought that Byakuya had found a girlfriend at last.
Rukia was sprawled messily on the carpet. Her lips were turning purple-blue.
What was really disturbing was when another woman appeared, the same way Ikkaku, perhaps steadier and more graceful.
“Soi Fong.” This woman said. She had golden eyes, a long purple ponytail and very tanned, chocolate brown skin.
“Yoruichi-sama.” Soi Fong replied coldly.
Renji stood frozen at the door. Suddenly both Soi Fong and Yoruichi disappeared. The house grew eerily silent, and finally, when Renji discovered that he could move, he ran to Rukia's side. “Oi, Rukia. Wake up.”
“Renji? I'm sorry…she p-poisoned me…with Suzumebachi.” Rukia whispered, her eyes only half open. “I can't make…it to…our wedding.”
“Rukia? Rukia!” Renji bowed his head. “Rukia!”
For a long while tears flowed freely down his face, as he held his dying fiancée in his arms. Then he lifted his head determinedly. He was going to save her, and he knew how.
Standing outside while it's raining, carrying the body of one, and having that damn zanpaku-tou clinging against your waist was not fun, Renji grumbled to himself, feeling decidedly dismal.
He was just about to leave when the door opened. A dark-haired man with a shaven/ messy face greeted him. “I'm Kurosaki Isshin. Welcome to the Kurosaki clinic. “He glanced at Rukia, then at the innocent looking zanpaku-tou slung around Renji's tattered clothes, and turned around, yelling as loud as he could, “ICIHIGO!!!!!!!”
Renji's eardrums shattered.
A minute later an irritated, orange-headed young man appeared. “What?”
“We got a problem here, sonny.” Isshin replied, sending a kick to Ichigo's nose. Renji looked on, alarmed.
After throwing his father into the wall, Ichigo got a close look at Rukia. Her lips were now blue, her complexion white, a trail of blood trickled down her palm. Suddenly Renji felt exhausted; he stumbled wearily through the open door and collapsed onto his knees.
Meanwhile, a small black butterfly had settled on Ichigo's palm, and the boy was talking to it.
Oh, great, Renji thought, another crazy person. This family must be insane, with a father that tries to beat up his son, who talks to butterflies. Maybe I should leave.
“Toushirou, you getting this? Get…the female…danger, Hinamori can live…three days…Matsumoto can handle it.” Ichigo muttered. At least, that's what Renji heard. Who the hell was Toushirou? Ichigo paused. “Tell Hanatarou to com, he's a natural. Ja.”
The butterfly flew away.
“What was that?”
“Hell moth. A reliable method of communication for Shinigami...oi, you alright?” Ichigo broke off. Renji had turned deathly pale, making Ichigo realize exactly how scarlet Renji's hair really was.
One word echoed throughout Renji's mind. Shinigami…Shinigami…
“Oi…”
For the first time in his life, Abarai Renji fainted.
“Oi, Toushirou, you getting' this? Get Byakuya, tell him that the female Kuchiki, not Hisana, Rukia, she's in danger of death. Hinamori can live for three days without you. Matsumoto can handle it. Tel Hanatarou to come, too. He's a natural.”
Hitsugaya sighed. “Tell Kurosaki Ichigo that it's Hitsugaya-taichou, not Toushirou, I am NOT in love with Hinamori, Matsumoto will spill sake all over my paperwork, and Byakuya. Won't. CARE.”
He also paused.
“I'm going to see Hinamori.”
Too bad, the hell moth caught the last phrase too.
That was rather short, admittedly, shorter than I would've like…but…it's the first chapter and it's gonna get longer. Thanks for reading…double if you review…