Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Tempests of the Heart ❯ Chapter Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Tempests of the Heart (8/10)
Author: blue_crystal_9
Rating: PG-13
Pairing: Eventual Hitsugaya/Hinamori, Kira/Hinamori
Spoilers: Anything up to episode 62 at this point.
Warnings: Innuendo, swearing.
Summary: It is years after the betrayal of Soul Society. Hinamori's finally beginning to move on with her life, and with that comes much change. Can Hitsugaya handle these changes?
Disclaimer: I do not own Beach; Tite Kubo does. I am not making any profit from this; it is for entertainment purposes only.
Author's Notes: I forced myself to stop watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer in order to write this (and boy, let me tell you, that was a feat in itself as I am seriously addicted to that show), because I'm determined to have this finished and posted before I go off to university.
 
 
 
Tempests of the Heart
Chapter Eight
 
_____________________________
 
There was something tickling her face. She swatted it away half heartedly, still half asleep and too tired to really care.
 
Then a voice weaved in through her dreams, “Momo.”
 
“Mrghhh.” Hinamori mumbled, turning away from the noise.
 
“Momo, wake up. It's seven thirty.” Something soft touched her neck.
 
She buried further into the pillow and ignored the voice.
 
“Momo, come on. We have a meeting at eight o'clock, remember?” She recognized the voice now. It was Kira, and he sounded amused and slightly exasperated.
 
“Go away.” Hinamori grumbled and he sighed. How could she help it if her bed was ridiculously comfortable, therefore preventing her from leaving it?
 
She felt the covers being pulled away and she found herself suddenly being picked up and lifted in Kira's arms and away from the bed. She shrieked, flailing wildly. “Put me down!”
 
“Nope. You need to get up.” Kira said, a twinkle of mischief in his blue eyes. Hinamori glared at him until he rolled his eyes and lightly tossed her back on the bed. She cocooned herself back in the blankets, hiding her face from the light.
 
Momo.”
 
“Give me another five minutes.” She mumbled tiredly and felt herself drift off again.
 
It felt like it was barely two seconds before Kira was shaking her gently awake again. “Momo, get up. It's been ten minutes now.”
 
“Uwahh. I don't want to. I hate these stupid pre-breakfast vice-captain meetings. I mean, why couldn't they be sometime during work instead of at an ungodly hour before we've even eaten?” Hinamori whined.
 
“Because, as Yamamoto has said before,” Kira said dryly, “`it would take valuable time away from our work hours, and it is more prudent to do it before work starts.'”
 
“It's stupid.”
 
“Yes, it is. Now, please get up, before I have to pour cold water over you.”
 
She batted the blanket away from her face so she could give him a look, “You would not do that.”
 
Kira shrugged, feigning indifference. “I might.”
 
“You suck.” She pouted at him.
 
He grinned at her. Then suddenly his expression softened and he leaned forward and kissed her forehead. “Well you, on the other hand, are lovely. In fact,” He brushed cupped her jaw in his hand, tilting her head up towards him in order to press a kiss to her lips, “I believe I love you.”
 
Hinamori blinked at him, and her mind suddenly sputtered to a stop for a moment. They hadn't said those words yet, those words. They had been together for a long while now, and it was about time she supposed, but yet…
 
She cleared her throat, “I… me too.” She smiled up at him as his face lit up.
 
She hadn't exactly said it back though. She…
 
Somehow, she couldn't.
 
And that made her worried.
 
_____________________________
 
Hinamori and Kira finally made it to the vice-captain's meeting. They arrived to see Sasakibe-fuku taicho, the vice captain of the first division who always ran the meeting looking rather ticked off. “Well, about time.”
 
“We apologize, Sasakibe-fuku taicho. We were... delayed.” Kira shot Hinamori a look, saying with his eyes, `because of your inability to get out of bed'. She simply raised an eyebrow at him.
 
“Well, at least you two are here. We're still waiting on Matsumoto-fuku taicho.” He looked even grumpier at the thought.
 
They walked past him to sit in the chairs set up. All of the other vice captains were there, in various states of tiredness.
 
“It's too goddamn early.” Renji grumbled, stretching his arms out behind him.
 
“Seconded.” Hisagi yawned.
 
“What's Sasakibe-fuku taicho's problem, anyway? He's so grumpy today.” Iba groused.
 
“Well, wouldn't you be grumpy if you had to contend with us all this early in the morning?” Nanao asked, looking pointedly at Renji and Iba.
 
“Whatever.” Renji waved it off.
 
“You're looking awfully awake, Nanao-chan. What time did you get up?” Yachiro chirped.
 
“At five thirty this morning.”
 
They all gaped at her in shock.
 
“But… how are you even functioning?” Renji blurted out.
 
“I had things to do. You try dealing with my captain as well as all the other numerous things I have to do. I can't afford to sleep for long.” Nanao said simply.
 
“I hear ya.” Hinamori sighed. “It's difficult having to deal with so much of the work by yourself.
 
“I didn't exactly see you getting up at five thirty.” Kira whispered in her ear and she elbowed him in the ribs.
 
“But still, five thirty in the freaking morning? What are you, a row-boot?” Iba asked
 
“A what?” Kira asked, confused.
 
“You know, a row-boot. Those machine things in the real world that aren't human.”
 
“You mean a robot.” Renji supplied. “And they aren't exactly real either. They're just in books and those movie thingies and stuff.”
 
“Whatever. Robot, row-boot; potato, pa-tat-o. It doesn't matter how you pronounce it.” Iba said offhandedly. “Anyway, if you keep doing that you're going to end up like Hitsugaya-taicho, doing work all the time and having no social life.”
 
Hisagi snorted. “Not to mention being in love with-” He was interrupted by Renji, who smacked him so hard that he yelped and fell out of his chair.
 
“Dude, shut up.” He hissed.
 
“Who's Hitsugaya-kun in love with?” Hinamori asked bewilderedly. All the vice captains were looking at her; some, like Hisagi and Renji had looks of unchecked horror on their faces while others like Nanao and Isane were looking at her with an expression of half exasperation, half pity.
 
Luckily, they were saved from answering by the arrival of Matsumoto. She flew into the room like a hurricane, the door banging against the wall and her strawberry blond hair flying everywhere. “Sorry, I woke up late.” She panted.
 
“Mmmph.” The first division vice captain grumped, giving Matsumoto the evil eye before turning to the rest of vice captains. “We can finally start the meeting now.”
 
Meanwhile, several of the vice captains were not listening to what was going on in the meeting. Instead, they were standing in a close group and talking quietly, several feet away from the rest of the vice captains and just out of earshot.
 
“I can't believe you almost told her. Do you have any idea what Hitsugaya-taicho would do to us if he found out we let it slip?” Renji whispered furiously.
 
“Kick our asses all across soul society?” Hisagi said weakly.
 
“No, he would kick our asses all the way to the real world. And it would hurt, a lot.” Renji shuddered a little at the thought.
 
“Well, how was I supposed to know that it was such a big secret? You'd think she'd know; it's so freaking obvious.” He said, perplexed.
 
“She clearly doesn't. She's going out with Kira.” Isane pointed out.
 
“Well, I kinda figured she knew but didn't care.” Hisagi shrugged.
 
“Not everything is like your so called “relationship” with Matsumoto.” Renji said snidely and Hisagi sent him the glare of death.
 
“No, Hinamori would definitely care. She wouldn't be able to ignore something like that, especially with Hitsugaya-taicho. He's her best friend.” Isane said softly.
 
“True.” Renji nodded.
 
“Clearly, she's completely oblivious. I mean, come on. The entire spirit world knows. The whole thing with Aizen? Yeah, not so subtle.” Iba rolled his eyes.
 
“Well, it doesn't matter now anyway. He lost his chance.” Renji watched Hinamori and Kira, who were standing closely together several feet away with their backs to them.
 
“It's sad.” Isane murmured. “He's always so icy. I think she would really make him happy.”
 
“No, it's stupid.” Iba argued. “How hard is it to tell someone you like them? Jesus, he needs to man up already.”
 
“It's harder for him. He's probably been in love with her since childhood. It's not easy to say those words when you've held them in for so long.” She replied.
 
“Ughh, you're such a girl. With all the `feelings' crap. If I want a girl, I make it crystal clear. Simple.” He retorted.
 
Isane looked annoyed, “Well, Iba, you don't-”
 
Nanao suddenly appeared out of nowhere and swooped in on them, hissing, “Will all of you shut the hell up before Sasakibe-fuku taicho notices you're not paying attention? It's utterly disrespectful. And stupid, especially since the people you're talking about are standing not five feet from you. Honestly, gossiping like four old women.” Nanao chastised, before facing toward the front again.
 
They all looked like scolded, guilty children, Except for Iba, who muttered under his breath, “I am not an old woman, you wench.”
 
She suddenly whipped around again and said softly, “And don't you idiots even realize that the reason Hitsugaya-taicho won't tell Hinamori his feelings is that he realized he was too late, and values her heart over his? Even if he can never tell her his feelings? It certainly isn't simple, nor is it easy.” She shot them one last glance before turning away.
 
They were all quiet after that.
 
_____________________________
 
“Okay, that was lame.” Hinamori grumbled as they walked toward the mess hall.
 
Kira shot her a surprised glance. “What, aren't you excited?”
 
Sasakibe-fuku taicho had announced that there was, in fact, going to be a formal event. It was going to be in one week, and each division would take turns helping to decorate on the evenings after work and on the weekend. There was already a band lined up to play, and a catering service was going to handle the food. The theme was going to be the early 1940's era, as jazz music had always been very popular among the people of soul society.
 
“Yes, I am, but I don't see why they couldn't have told us this at last week's meeting. They made it all important and forced us get up ridiculously early.”
 
“You're complaining a lot today.” Kira commented.
 
“Well, I'm cranky. Having not enough sleep does that to me.”
 
“I've noticed. Look, I have to run back to the third division to bring the sixth division some paperwork that needs to be taken care of. I forgot that I was supposed to do it before work started.”
 
“But you haven't eaten yet.” Hinamori protested. “And why do they need it before work starts?”
 
Kira shrugged, “Well, you know how Kuchiki-taicho is. I'm going to eat later; you go on ahead, okay?”
 
“Alright,” Hinamori agreed reluctantly.
 
“Good.” He kissed her quickly and said, “I love you. I'll see you later.”
 
“Mmhmm.” Hinamori said, giving him a distracted smile before he walked away. She stood there for a moment, thinking.
 
She hadn't been able to say it. Again. The words seemed to almost get caught in her throat.
 
What did that mean?
 
_____________________________
 
As she was helping Matsumoto after work with decorations the thought struck her again. The fifth and the tenth divisions had been assigned together to start the decorating.
 
“Here, hold the end of the streamer while I tape the end above the door.” Matsumoto instructed, and Hinamori did as she was told. Although she wasn't entirely concentrating.
 
Which was evident when she dropped it by accident. “Gah. Hinamori!” Matsumoto sighed. “That's like the zillionth thing you've dropped in the last hour.”
 
“Hyperbole, much?” Hinamori quipped.
 
Matsumoto just gave her a look.
 
“Okay, I'm sorry. I'm a little… distracted.”
 
Duh. Be less vague.”
 
“I…” Hinamori bit her lip. “Kira told me he loved me today. Twice.”
 
“What? Wow. Holy crap, no wonder you're distracted. That's awesome. Why are you even here? You should be making out with him right now.” Matsumoto grinned.
 
“That's not why I'm distracted. I couldn't say it back.”
 
“Well, that's not unusual. Some people can't say it right away. But don't worry, you'll be able to eventually.”
 
“That's the thing. I'm not sure if I… will ever be able to. I mean, I care for him so much. I do have feelings for him. But…” Hinamori trailed off and looked up to meet Matsumoto's eyes.
 
Matsumoto's face was carefully blank. “Hinamori, do you love Kira?”
 
“I…” She swallowed thickly, her stomach tying in anxious knots. “I don't know.”
 
And that was what frightened her. She couldn't say she did, or that she didn't.
 
She truly did not know.
 
_____________________________
 
End of chapter eight.
 
 
Author's notes: I use ellipses too much. The end.
 
Okay, not really the end. :P I have a few other things to comment on besides my too frequent use of ellipses and commas and other forms of punctuation.
 
First of all, I know I said that this chapter would be longer and would have a lot going on, and blah blah. I changed my mind, as my original map-out of this chapter would have caused the flow to be weird with the next chapter so I decided to do it differently. If that makes any sense. As well, that whole scene with the fuku-taichos was not planned at all. It sort of wrote itself. It came out of nowhere, but I decided to leave it in as I enjoy making all of soul society gossip about Hitsugaya and Hinamori. *lol* If that wasn't clear enough in previous chapters. *rolls eyes at self*
 
Also, you may have noticed that I've made several references to Hisagi liking Matsumoto. Well, apparently he does. In the “Bleach Official Bootleg”, for those of you who haven't heard about it/haven't read it (which is essentially a bunch of side stories and all this interesting information about the Gotei 13 members. Like, for instance, Renji walks around in the sixth division in his pajamas. LOL ), it mentions how Hisagi had an article in the Seireitei News (soul society's newspaper), which he is editor of. Matsumoto submitted a survey which gave it a bad review, and after he read it he wouldn't come out of his office for three days. There was another omake chapter that mentioned it too, if I can remember correctly, and if you look really hard in the manga, there are some hints to him liking her. So, apparently his crush on her is cannon and is not fan-imagined. But as to Matsumoto liking him? Who knows. She may, or she may not, but either way on the outside she's showing that she doesn't care. And in this story I'm not going to be expanding on their relationship, as this focuses on the whole Hitsugaya/Hinamori/Kira thing. But if you are a Matsumoto/Hisagi shipper, I do have a fic written for them, as well as a few of my Hitsugaya/Hinamori fics have them as a kind of side pairing.
 
And as for jazz music being popular in soul society, it was mentioned in the Turn Back the Pendulum chapters of the manga that jazz music was the `new' big thing in the real world. And it's mainstream popularity was between the 1920s to the 1960s, so I went with the 1940's for their theme. There's a reason I chose that time period for the theme, you'll see why in the next chapter. ;) And even though the Pendulum chapters take place a hundred years ago (which again calls in to question the current time period of Bleach… huh), I figure jazz is still pretty popular in soul society. :P
 
I'm going to stop babbling and pimping myself out now. *coughs*
 
Expect the next chapter out in two or three days, because holy crap, only two chapters left. ;_;