Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Kore o kudasai ❯ Ch I: A look back at the Inevitable ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

“Ran, would you came in her for a moment dear” the small bright eyed girl scampered into the main living room at her mothers request. “Yes mommy?” She said obediently looking up at her mother and the other three adults in the room. Her father was already seated and across from him sat another man that she had never seen before. Beside him stood a young woman with long flowing crimson hair and a remarkably delicate figure. The two newcomers smiled down at the five year old kindly. “Hello, my name is Ran” the girl chimed in cheerfully managed a quick curtsy, ignoring the small stains of mud that had already gotten on her dress from just a short while of playing.
Both adults nodded and the woman chuckled slightly, “Oh Eri, she's absolutely precious.” Her mother only smiled, blushing slightly before turning back to her daughter. “Ran dear I wan you to meet Yuusaku and Yukiko Kudo. They will be moving in down the street and I've invited them and there son over for tea.”
Son? Ran thought, only now noticing the small figured hidden behind the redheaded woman. Yukiko, clearly sensing the girls' inquisitive glance turned slightly coxing the small boy out into the open. “Come on now Shinichi don't be rude” she chided as the small boy come into sight.
The boy named Shinichi looked back at Ran through locks of thick black hair, his bright blue eyes looking from the floor to the girl and back down again. “Well Shinichi, aren't you going to say hello” his mother prompted, ruffling his heir slightly.
“Hello” the boy answered quietly, his eyes flickering once more from Ran to the floor. “I'm awfully sorry about this, he's usually so well behaved” His mother said looking somewhat helplessly over at her husband then Eri. “He's been this way ever since we got back from America, Honestly I don't know what has gotten into him.”
Throughout the entire conversation Ran had managed to inch forward looking at the boy with a very inquisitive stare. “Hello Shinichi, my names Ran.” She announce once more. The boy looked up at her a little startled as she smiled at him. Without waiting for another word the girl grabbed him by the hand and started pulling him towards the door.
“W-wait, where are we going?” He asked, pulling back out of her grip. “To play” she added as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. The boy stared blankly at her for a moment before crinkling his nose and making a face. “I don't want to play with you” he said flatly. “Why not” she demanded, placing her hands on her hips as she had seen her mother do so many times before. “Cause, you're a girl” came the inevitable retort.
“That doesn't make any sense” the Ran argued back, becoming quite annoyed wit the boy. All eyes were on the two but the girl did not even seem to notice “What's wrong with playing with girls, I bet I have a lot more fun games then you do…I have board games, and cards, and a new bike, and a trampoline, and a new soccer set…” the boys demeanor seemed to immediately change when he heard the word Soccer, “really! With a goal and everything”
The girl nodded “Yha, it came in a kit, daddy set it up the other day.” The boy called Shinichi looked up at his mother enthusiastically with those large innocent eyes that all children eventually master. “Mamma, can I go play with Ran?” he asked, large pleading eyes looking like saucers under the black strands of hair that fell over his face. His mother simply chuckled and nodded, and the boy was off Ran practically having to run to keep up with him.
Four sets of eyes watched the children disappear, and four sets of lips smiled knowingly. It was somehow clear to everyone in the room, even after just these few minuets, that this was more then just the meeting of two playmates, there was something almost foretelling in their actions, but what none of them could say.