Case Closed Fan Fiction ❯ Only Hope ❯ In Which a Road Trip Takes Place ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Atheria: Yeah so this is where I attempt to make up my own cases that don't suck. And where we get character development, Yay plot! It will be switching point of view from Jimmy to Candace, so you will get a glimpse inside the world from their view hopefully. I've never done first person so I'm going to try it. Oh yeah and Beika city is the actual city where Jimmy is supposed to live. I've read Tokyo in fanfics, but I looked it up to make sure and yeah. This story is just full of firsts huh? As well, I've gotten a Beta, so the general level of suck-a-tude will be less.
 
Ok now for the disclaimer:
 
I do not own Cased Closed or any of the assorted characters used from that universe, they belong to Gosho Aoyama. They are used without permission, but I don't suggest suing me, as I am a very poor college student with no financial assets. (I.e. it would cost you more to sue me than you would get from me monetarily.)
 
The awesome sauce Japanese is brought to you by my Weaboo sister Kobanya. Nah, I'm just kidding, she's no weaboo, but she is my Beta.
 
Thoughts= `blah'
 
Spoken= “blah”
In Which a Road Trip Takes Place
Jimmy's POV
June 28, 1995 9:30am
`This last week sure has flown by. I wonder if Richard has any leads.' A slam issuing from the front of the apartment got my attention. `Well, Richard's home.' I stood from the chair I had been finishing breakfast at, and walked over to the kitchen sink. `I just can't seem to get her out of my mind. She's infuriating, arrogant, cold, and polite all at once. How does she manage it?' Frustration welled to the surface for not the first time while I scraped the scraps into the trash. I watched as Richard danced through the house, obviously delighted with himself. `I guess he found a lead. The only time he's this happy is when there is either money, booze or women involved.' The cold sting of objectiveness then washed over me. `Yeah that's a nice thought about someone who could be your future father-in-law, Jimmy.' I shook my head, trying to rid myself of my sullen thoughts. I placed the plate in the sink, settled my hands behind my head, and marched playfully up to Richard. `If he can be in a good mood then so can I.' “Hey, Mr. Moore, why are you in such a good mood?” I couched my question in cheerfulness. `Hopefully that will placate the drunkard.' Richard's eyes were swimming with warmth that wasn't from over-consumption of alcohol. `That means its money.'
 
“Well, Conan, since you asked, I just got a huge break from that missing person case for the Johansson family. I found the guy and his new address, so now I can contact them and get paid.” Richard's obnoxious cackle filled my ears, and I struggled not to groan.
 
“That means you just have to call them, right? Then they'll go to meet their doctor friend?” I wondered cheerfully this time. `I may not have to see that girl after all.'
 
“Yup, that's it.” Richard crooned. He picked up the phone from the receiver and started talking with someone on the other line. I noticed his hands shaking.
 
`He isn't nervous, must be angry. Maybe they are trying to skip on the bill?' Vindictiveness swam through my system. `It would serve him right for how badly he treats me.' Richard stuttered a bit, hung up the phone and stalked over to the counter where he kept the car keys. `Why is he-?' “ Hey Mr. Moore, where ya going?” Richard turned to face me.
 
“We have been invited to dinner.” Richard stated plainly.
 
I felt shocked, “What!”
 
“Yeah, apparently they want to thank me with dinner for the whole family including the doctor. They are calling him right now, and are going to meet him somewhere near his new address so we can all celebrate.” Richard groaned, it sounded exasperated. “You wouldn't believe who suggested it too.”
 
“Who?” I asked, curiosity running through my bones.
 
“That Candace girl of theirs. Said it would only be proper to treat us to dinner, for all my hard work.” Richard's face took on a dark look. “I just want my money!” Richard's mournful cry did little to play at my heartstrings.
 
`I have to spend a whole day with Princess Prima Donna! Boy, and I thought my luck was bad before.' A mix of anger and dejected acceptance overtook my current emotional state. Rachael walked into the room, her aura nothing but rainbows and butterflies.
 
“Hey Dad.” Rachael gave Richard her customary good morning. I followed Rachael's eyes to the keys in his hands.
 
`Yeah, we're going on a road trip'
 
“Going somewhere, Dad?” Rachael asked the question she should already know the answer to.
 
“Yeah, we are. The Johansson's have invited us to dinner, and I couldn't talk us out of it. We have to go along--all of us, missy--and play nice so daddy can get his money from the very rich folks.” Richard seemed to be patronizing her from the tone in his voice. “Come on, brat! Let's go!” Richard pointed in my direction then stomped off towards the door. Rachael looked down at me, smiling as if to apologize for Richard's behavior, and grabbed my hand.
 
“Come on, Conan, let's just get this over with.” Rachael said and ushered me out the door. The car ride was in silence, thankfully, giving me plenty of time with my unorganized thoughts.
 
`Why would she want me to come along? There's no doubt I'm the one she's after, or she wouldn't have invited the whole Moore family. Then there are her parents. We were only gone for twenty minutes, but the house isn't that big. They should have searched the back of the apartment long before they did, and what was with her mom's reaction. She was way too concerned with-Cadence? Carrie? - or whoever, being outside. Then there was her purse, and the old photo. Mrs. Johansson's purse was like something you would keep for an infant, and the photo was over five years old. If they had other more recent photos, why did they bring that one on their trip in the first place? None of it is adding up, and the longer I'm around them, the stranger they get.' Light flashed through the trees as we traveled out of the city. A splash of it illuminated Rachael's face and stopped my thoughts in its tracks. `Never mind the rest of the world. If I could spend the day with an angel like you, it would be worth a lifetime trapped like this. I just wish I could tell you how much I-' the car stopped. The sudden change in movement prompting me to voice the age-old annoying question, “Are we there yet?”
 
“Actually, brat, we are here; at the Johansson residence anyway. The Johanssons are driving us the rest of the way, so I don't have to waste gas.” Richard practically griped. I unbuckled my seat belt and stepped onto the large grounds of the Johansson Estate. A perfectly manicured lawn stretched out in front of me, dotted with topiaries shaped like fanciful animals from far off shores. Pretty, floral landscaping dotted the lawn, as gardeners attended the low shrubs and trees.
 
`The scene is obviously meant to wow. I can say I'm unimpressed.' I walked on the cobblestone path behind Richard and Rachael up to their large oak door. Richard knocked, utilizing his usual tack, and scared everything with a 50-foot radius of him. A butler answered the door and silently led us inside; Richard has already made abundantly clear who we were with his screaming. The butler led us into a drawing room, where the Johanssons were waiting for us. Then I saw her, the little annoyance that was becoming a big headache. `She's smiling. That can't be a good thing.'
 
Candace's POV 10:30am
`So, Mr. Moore decided to bring him along: the brown-haired boy who currently held my honed focus. There was something about him. He was captivating, in a dull, childish kind of way. He was rude, uncultured and a little mean, but there was just something about him. There was intelligence, a maturity hidden beneath those glasses, and something I can't yet place. I will place it. I have never failed cracking a puzzle yet, and he is looking like a good one.' I heard feet shuffling behind me. My father got up and began closing the distance to Mr. Moore, his hand already out-stretched. My mother walked behind him, obviously headed for Mr. Moore's daughter. `What was her name again? Started with a `R,' I think…' I turn my attention back to little Conan, and he was glaring daggers at me. `Guess he doesn't like me. It really matters little. Once I've satisfied my curiosity, I'll leave him alone.' I walked over to join the rest of the group milling about in the entrance to the drawing room. “ Hello there, Mr. Moore, so happy you could join us.” I spoke with a disarming smile on my face. Mr. Moore looked down at me a fake smile was plastered on his face, eyes smoldering with fury.
 
“If it isn't the little girl who suggested this little outing. You wouldn't mind telling me why you wanted us to come along, would you?” Mr. Moore stared down at me.
 
“I wanted to know how the famous detective Richard Moore solves his cases. I heard all about you, and I'm afraid this was all a ruse to learn more about being a detective. I want be one when I grow up, you know?!” I slathered on the compliments. `Never mind, it has nothing to do with you.' I beam one of my perfect, high beam smiles at him, and turned my attention to Conan. Mr. Moore started cackling, and declaring is amazing ability. I ignored it. “It must be great to be near this living legend.” I smiled sweetly at him.
 
“Yeah, well, you get used to it after a little while.” Conan said looking, no, gazing intensely, into my eyes.
 
`Still don't like me, eh? So you're the wary type. That's fine. I don't need you to like me to understand you.'
 
“Shall we go? I want to get there in time for dinner. He is in Osaka, so if we leave now we can get there by 4:00pm, more than enough time to get together for dinner,” My mother offered, waving us all towards the door. We walked in pairs. Mr. Moore and his daughter first, then my parents, then my enigma and me last. My mother groaned irritably, a frown forming on her face. “ Where is that blasted limousine? It was supposed to be here a half an hour ago,” my mother grumbled.
 
“Don't worry, love. I'm sure it will arrive in a…Ah, look! There it is now.” My father noted happily. Sure enough, the black monstrosity turned the corner onto the driveway of our Japan estate. The limo stopped in front of our group and the driver ran around to open the backdoors, muttering apologies about traffic and the like. Before long, we were all seated inside the limo and on our way, though Conan made it abundantly clear he didn't wish to sit by me. He positioned himself in between Rachael and my father, leaving me to settle beside Richard and my mother. `It's just fine if you don't want to sit next to me, Conan. It is much easier to interrogate someone when you are looking them dead in the eyes.' I beamed over in his direction to get his attention. He looked over at me. `Good.' “Conan, how long have you been in the Moore's care?” Conan looked surprised; his eyes widened just a bit. `Had you thought I'd forgotten?'
 
“Just a little over a year…” Conan rubbed his head, eyes averted.
 
`Shy? Embarrassed?' His fiery gaze caught mine, `or just the pretense of it.' “That's right, Mr. Moore did say your parents were overseas. What is it your parents do?” More surprise, I was getting better at reading him.
 
“They, um, work with foreign banking, I think. I'm not really sure. Whatever they do, it always keeps them busy. I never got too much time to spend with them, just mostly with the nanny and tutors.” Conan finished the last sentence, his inflection a little higher than normal.
 
`Lying then. You don't want me to ask anything else about your parents. Why?' “That sounds sad.” I said, truly sympathetic. `My own life mirrors that sentiment too well.'
 
“Well now I'm living with Rachael and Mr. Moore. Its a lot different, but nice all the same.” Conan finished with a small smile gracing his lips.
 
`That's the first genuine thing he's said this whole ride.' My mother pulled out her cell phone, and dialed a number. `But she only dialed after much searching through her phone. Who is she calling that she doesn't know that well?'
 
“Hello?” my mother said. A pause. “Oh yes, so you'll be able to join us at 5? That is just great! See you soon Eiji.” My mother stopped talking then hung up the phone.
 
“Mother, who was that?” I asked, curious as usual.
 
“Oh, it was Mr. Tanaka. I was calling to make sure he could actually join us for dinner.” My mother said deftly.
 
“So early? Its only 12:30.” Conan asked after looking at his watch.
 
`Guess he's the curious type too. Not surprising considering-'
 
“He is a busy man, at least he was when I last saw him. It would be a courteous thing to do to call him, being a doctor especially, before hand. I know we are dropping in on him, but I didn't want to get far into the trip and find out that he's too busy.” My mother finished the explanation with a cloying tone. Conan looked mollified; at the very least he looked out the window nearest him. This was a good time to try asking him something else.
 
`As good a time as any.' “So where do you go to school?”
 
Jimmy's POV
`Can't this girl take a hint? I know she must be smarter than she lets on. She caught that I was lying earlier; I could see the recognition in her eyes. So why didn't she-' “ I go to Titan Elementary School.” I said dismissively. `Hopefully, she takes this cue… Why didn't she call me on it? She had the chance to make me pile on the lies, even to catch me in one, so why not? She acted like she just wanted to humiliate me the last time we met. Why so different? And what-'
 
“Conan, I'm sure your thoughts are most interesting, but I believe we were having a conversation. Do you think you could peruse your daydreams later?” That smug smile was back again, and that spark in her eyes.
 
`Challenge. That what it was before, and that's what she wants now.' I turned to face her, a little of my childish mask slipping. `I was never one to disappoint an audience.'
 
Three Hours Later:
 
The last three hours taught me a lot about her. She was arrogant, brilliant, cloying, determined, earnest, fervent, and the whole rest of the alphabet of layers, interest, and annoyance. `The more I know about her, the bigger the puzzle gets. At least she'll make a good Go or chess adversary.' I sighed and turned to face the window again. `If I'm this lucky she'll just leave me be this time,' but a part of me that was the better judge of character knew that wasn't true.
 
“Little Detective?” She had settled on that as my new nickname.
 
“What?” I snapped at her.
 
“No need to be rude. I was just wondering something. You know detectives right? From all over? You made quite the fuss over it earlier.” She spoke, reminding me of a tangent of the conversation involving a comparison between Sherlock Holmes, government intelligence agencies, and police officers in terms of effectiveness. I shivered. I had lost that round.
 
“What about it?” I settled for a tone between annoyed and curious.
 
“Well I was wondering if you've heard of a Japanese detective?” If she had noticed the frustration creeping into my voice, she didn't show it.
 
“Well, how am I supposed to tell you whether I knew or not if you don't tell me who it is? I'm no mind reader.” She smiled that smug smirk again. `Disagree eh? You're not the only one getting better at reading body language.'
 
“A Jimmy Kudo.” She batted her eyes innocently at me. Luckily, I had an old lie all prepared.
 
“I'm actually a distant cousin of Jimmy's.” I offered glowing, knowing I had that lie in the bag.
 
“Oh really? On which side?”
 
“What?” I felt my body go cold, my hands go numb, and my heart race. `I've never actually determined on which side!' “My father's side. Yeah, that's where I get the family resemblance.” If she was going to say something to that, I'll never know. Mrs. Johansson got another call in on her cell phone, and let out an awful squeal. After only a moment, she started talking excitedly into the phone, effectively drowning out any other chance at conversation.
 
“ That's just great Atsuko, we'll see you soon.” Mrs. Johansson finished her exchange with the snap of the closing phone. She saw me staring at her and offered, “That was Dr. Tanaka wife. She'll be meeting us at her office inside the Umeda district of Osaka. We'll be there shortly.” I checked my watch. `It's finally 3:30, and that means I only have to spend another half an hour with this devil in a dress.
 
“Little Detec-”
 
Mrs. Johansson snapped waspishly at her unsuspecting daughter, “Oh for goodness sake, Candace, enough! You have been badgering that boy this entire car ride. All I want now is some peace and quiet, so you'll have to make due with silence and whatever you talked about earlier.” Candace flushed, with anger or embarrassment, I couldn't tell which.
 
`It's not as if it matters. Knowing her, this is going to be my fault.' My thoughts took a morose turn, as the last 30 minutes passed in silence. The limo slowed to a stop outside a large office building. `This is the Osaka World Trade Center. It's gorgeous and brand new. I wonder what she does here?' After a few minutes, a woman in a crisp black business suit and skirt walked up to the limousine doors. Mrs. Johansson rolled down a window.
 
“Atsuko?”
 
“Hey, Victoria. Long time no see.” The woman called Atsuko slid into the limousine seat next to Candace. Atsuko looked around the cabin at everyone seated inside. “Konbanwan. Watashi wa Atsuko Tanaka-san desu. Doozo yoroshiku.”* Mrs. Tanaka finished with a small smile, and extended a dainty hand to shake the hands of the adults in the cabin. To everyone's surprise, Conan replied with, “Konbanwan Tanaka-san. Watashi wa Conan Edogawa desu. Doozo yoroshiku. O-genki desu ka?”* Mrs. Tanaka seemed surprised, but replied smoothly, “Aaa, o-kagesama de genki desu.”* Candace eyed Conan curiously after the exchanged, but said nothing, still stinging from her mother's reprisal. After the initial introductions, the cabin traveled in relative silence, punctuated by Mrs. Tanaka and Johansson's soft chatting. The car made another stop soon after at another office. “ This is my husband's office. I'm going to go in and get him. That way we can just go to dinner directly afterwards.” Mrs. Tanaka said amiably. She got out of the car, with Mrs. Johansson not far behind. She leaned her head into the cabin and said,
 
“I have some business to attend to. I'll meet you all at the restaurant.” With that, she stalked off and out of sight.
 
`I wonder what-' Mrs. Tanaka returned with a frown on her delicate features.
 
“What's wrong?” Richard asked the question that was obviously on all of our minds.
 
“It's strange, Eiji isn't here. He came in for work today, but didn't return after lunch. One of his receptionists said he called in sick and said he wouldn't be coming back after lunch. It's so unlike him to miss work for any reason.” Mrs. Tanaka frowned deepened, but she said no more.
 
`That's odd. Maybe he got food poisoning. If he did, I won't trust any suggestions from his family.' I felt a distinct pang of nausea run through me at the thought of a five-hour trip back with food poisoning. The car took several turns up the winding roads towards the edge of the city. The trip to the outskirts of the city from Umeda and deeper into Kita took another hour, due to the traffic heading home and out of the business district. Finally, around 5 o'clock, we reached the Tanakas' large house near the northern edge of Osaka. More than eager to stretch my legs after such a long trip, I nearly stepped over everyone else to get out. Richard grabbed me and sat me back down beside Rachael.
“I don't think so brat; ladies first,” Richard said with a cheesy grin plastered on his face.
 
`I didn't know Richard knew the meaning of politeness. Maybe he's hoping the Tanakas have a daughter.' Richard practically had me pinned to the seat, while Rachael, Mrs. Tanaka, and Candace got out of the car. I gasped as air went whizzing past me and I was thrown unceremoniously to the ground.
 
“Conan!” Rachael gasped at my sudden arrival at her feet.
 
“ You should be more careful, tripping over yourself like that. You'll get yourself hurt one of these days.” Richard expressed vindictively, while stepping out of the car. Mr. Johansson tipped the driver, and sent him on his way. The group was already wandering to the front of the Tanaka house. Candace moseyed up beside me, and started walking in step with my pace.
 
“So Co-” She started only to be interrupted by a scream. I rushed up the stairs leading to the front door.
 
`Its already open.' I looked into the entrance to find Mrs. Tanaka on the floor near the back of the room, and something cradled in her lap. She was sobbing uncontrollably. “Mrs. Tanaka what's wrong?” I asked while racing to get to the other side of her. Mrs. Tanaka looked up at me, while my eyes traveled down to the something in her lap.
 
“Eiji's…”
 
`Mr. Tanaka is-'
 
Atheria: Yup that's it. No I didn't forget anything; I like cliffhangers. I know it's mean, but it had to be done. Plus this chapter was getting long. I want to move on to the next one. That one has a case in it, and I know you all like cases. I mean why else do you watch Detective Conan? Oh and I realize that the color font actually transfers online, but not the type. So I think dark blue is a good color for Conan and still easy on the eyes. If my readers have a preference tell me. As always R+R.
 
*Konbanwan=good evening
Doozo yoroshiku=It's a pleasure to meet you.
Watashi wa=I am or my name is, but that's really Namae wa (both can be used)
O-genki desu ka?=How are you feeling?
O-kagesama de genki desu=I'm fine, thank you.