Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Mars + Heaven ❯ Early Evening ( Chapter 29 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

XXIX: Early Evening:

They made it back to their room. There isn't going to be much to do. He would get bored eventually. Then they would have to move on. Right now, he didn't feel like it. She rested her head on his shoulder.

“Hey,” he said. “Hey.” He shook her on the arm. She didn't move. He gave up after a few more seconds. Let her be. Just let her sleep. He looked out at their room. He hadn't planned anything at all. There were no deadlines for anything. They just came here and he threw money at the owner. Whatever many days they could be allowed to stay. The old lady didn't complain. She just took the money and smiled. She hadn't even been back to check on them at the property.

He shrugged to himself.

“Seems too trusting to me,” he muttered. It didn't matter tonight.

What were they going to do tomorrow? Nothing, really. There wasn't much to do around here. But hey, neither one was complaining. She was just happy to be with him. For now, that was okay. Heh. Everything was just okay. Not bad, but not good either. He pushed those thoughts out of his head. This was supposed to be a vacation. Neither one of them needed to do any thinking at all.

She was already sound asleep. There would be no waking her up until morning. Fine by him. He would be going to sleep soon too. But just not yet. He wasn't tired.

He slipped out of his grasp and walked out of the house. He stood outside on the front and lit up a cigarette. At least he could smoke around here. The old lady was clear on keeping the place clean.

“Any mess or damage will be charged out of your pocket,” she said. He nodded and waved her off. He leaned against the wall and took a smoke. It was quiet tonight. Maybe too quiet. He couldn't stand it every day. He had been used to the struggle. Now, he could just rest and lay back. That was good for the first few days. But now…

He shook his head.

“We're going to have to leave soon. This isn't it,” he said under his breath. Not tonight though. Not tonight. When he finished his smoke, he snubbed out the cigarette and walked back into the house.

She was still asleep in bed. He took a moment to stand over her. She looked so precious away in dreamland. He leaned down and kissed her on the lips.

“Good night,” he whispered. Then he climbed back into bed and pulled her into his arms. He was asleep in minutes.