Cowboy Bebop Fan Fiction ❯ Never Lost, just forgotten ❯ Life's cruel tricks ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Spike stood there leaning against the wall and waited for Jet to continue tell the story.

“Before you left she had gotten her memory back.” Jet stated to Spike.

“I remember that. She had told me before I left that day.” Was all Spike could say.

“It was the first time that I had seen her happy since you died.” Jet commented with a light chuckle. “But for Faye, life just continued to pay cruel tricks on her.”

“What happened?” Spike asked. He knew that Jet wouldn’t be telling this story if it wasn’t important. Jet didn’t like to waste his or anybody else’s time.

“The day that they were suppose to wake her sister up, had come sooner than anyone thought. Faye of course was worried and stressed, but still she was excited. To blow off some steam she decided to find a quick bounty before she had to go see her sister.” Jet shifted on the wall a little. “There was a bounty on a couple of goons who had been breaking into government building and hospitals, just for medical equipment, supplies and body parts to sell on the black market. Small fry.” Jet signaled to Spike for a cigarette.

“Small fry, huh?” Spike stated passing Jet the cigarette.

“She had gotten some info here and there and traced them back to a warehouse a couple of miles away from where her sister’s hospital was.” Jet lit the cigarette and took a drag before continuing. “At the warehouse, she didn’t noticing anything out of the ordinary just some hospital supplies and things like that. After turning them over she received the bounty and made her way over to the hospital.” Jet again took another drag of the cigarette before looking over at Spike. “When Faye got there they refused to let her in, something about the place be robbed by a group of guys. A doctor then told Faye that a couple of Cryo capsules had been stolen, he assumed the bodies were gonna be sold on the black market.” Jet dropped the cigarette before stomping it out.

“Selling frozen bodies on the black market, so that’s how people are making their money these days. Damn, you would think I’ve been gone longer than that.” Spike said needing a cigarette himself.

“That’s the latest quick money- making thing. The bodies are use for science and doctors are willing to pay a lot for them.” Jet shook his head.

“First, the only human’s that actually cost money was criminals, now even the innocent have a price.” Spike lit another cigarette and placed in between his lips.

“It gets worse.” Jet simply stated.

“How can it get any worse?” Spike asked.

“Faye put two and two together and figured out that the bounties she had just caught must have been the ones who robbed the place, she had been right. There was just one problem.” Jet stopped to see if Spike had figured it out.

“If they were the ones who broke in, where were the capsules?” Spike stated knowing what Jet was trying to do.

“Bingo, Faye had been in the warehouse and never saw them.” Jet answered.

“They couldn’t have been able to get ride of them that quickly.” Spike spoke, his cigarette still in his mouth.

“They hid it, they thought if they hid it they would be able to come back when everything went back to normal, but Faye had found them.” Jet stretched out his arms in front of him before bringing them back down.

“Where did they hide em?” Spike asked his vice serious.

“They buried them at the warehouse. When the police had gone to the warehouse they saw that some of the dirt had been shifted. After digging up some of the dirt they found the Cryo capsules, some were still intact and were taken back to the hospitals but others, didn’t make it.” Jet looked down at the ground and shifted himself against the wall again.

“It was too late for Faye’s sister. Her capsule had open when it was buried under ground. Some of the dirt collapsed on to the capsule breaking in the glass. They say she struggled to get out, due to the dirt under her nails and the imprints of her fingers left in the dirt.” Jet took a deep breath before continuing. “That’s what finally broke her. She didn’t cry, she didn’t get angry, she just acted as if nothing happened.”

“What happened to the guys who did it?” Spike asked looking over at Jet.

“Ever since then not one bounty that she’s had has ever lived long enough to see the inside of a cell.” Jet avoided the question.

“What happened to the guys who did it Jet?” Spike asked again.

“They were in jail for a couple of weeks, but the guy who did it broke out days later, he heard Faye was looking for him, and he went into hiding. Some say his hiding out with some of his family members, but no one’s heard about him till today, that’s why Faye was here.” Jet looked over at Spike who’s cigarette had finally been put out.

“And you want me to go after her, right?” Spike asked.

“Spike, what do you think is going to happen when she finds him and anybody else who’s with him? Do you think she’s actually gonna turn him in? or tell him she understands why he killed the only family she had in this world? Spike, she’s going to kill him and everybody who’s helped him.” Jet argued.

“This is Faye we’re talking about. She’s not a murderer.” Spike tried to reason.

“That’s exactly what she is. A cold blooded killer. She’s already killed people Spike.” Jet tried to reason back.

“Bounties” Spike corrected.

“Since when did the line between people and bounties get so defined?” Jet questioned.

“When did you start believe bounties had rights?” Spike asked.

“When did you start to believe they didn’t” Jet retorted.

“Truthfully, I really don’t know.” Spike shrugged.” He killed her sister, I think it’s justified.”

“No Spike, not like this, not like you.” Jet looked over at the confused Spike. “We’re bounty hunters that’s what we do. We hunt down the bounties and hand them over to the proper authorities, but we do not take the law into our own hand. If we did we wouldn’t be any different then the crooks, killers, and thieves we take down. I know we’ve been put in situations in the past that we’ve had to, but not like this.”

“Do you really think she’s gonna let me get in her way?” Spike asked pushing himself away from the wall.

“Not without killing you first.” Jet said with a smirk.

“Then I guess it’s a good thing I’m already dead.” Spike smiled back and he turned to leave. “Oh Jet, what did you mean when you said not like me?”

“When you killed Vicious.” Jet answered.

“What about it?” Spike said his voice hard.

“Did it change anything?” Jet could see the was Spikes body tensed at Vicious name.

“When I found out, I’ll let you know.” Spike relaxed again and smirked.

“Oh, and Spike, I would be careful with Faye if I were you. She’s picked up a couple of tricks since you’ve been gone.” Jet smirked back.

“Where should she be now?” Spike asked.

“Well her ship isn’t equip properly, so she probably went to her place to stock up on some stuff.” Jet answered “I’ll give you the coordinates to her place.”

 

Well did you like? The chapter was a pain, since after I finished it me computer shut down and I was forced to type it up again. Smart as I am, I forgot to save it. Well hoped you like and I plain on updating.