Crossover Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Kannaduko No Miko Fan Fiction ❯ Scarlet Lune ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I own absolutely nothing, nada, zip. Sailor Moon and Kannazuki no Miko does not belong to me.
 
 
Scarlet Lune
 
Chapter 3
 
 
~*~
She ran. Faster. Only faster. Fast enough and the tears would fall away, fast enough and they'd disappear and no longer exist. Not just tears. All of them. The taunts, the ridicule. All of it.
 
Fast enough and she'd be able to leave the world behind her. Fast enough to catch the wind. Like the wind she could touch the sky and get closer and find her again.
 
`Mother…' tears pooled her deep teal eyes, threatening to fall. `Mother why'd you leave me with them.' Deeper and deeper in the abyss further from the kingdom `Why'd you leave me?'
 
The mocking cackle of her evil queen, her step mother, ridiculing, taunting her echoed.
 
~
`She? She bares the mark of our patron god? She a legendary senshi? Impossible! She is but a bastard. Spawn of a handmaid. She is unfit to serve in Serenity's Court. Incapable of baring the galaxy's wellbeing. I won't have it!'
~
 
No one cared for her. All reject her.
 
~
`You'll never be a lady!'
~
`You're a disgrace!'
~
`You're in trouble now Haruka-sama!' taunted Kentaro, the queen's nephew. `Who will her majesty believe me, one of noble blood, a gentleman in training. Or you.'
~
`You shame me daughter.'
~
 
Her overgrown bangs stuck to her tear stained face, obscuring her vision. She tripped and fell. Slamming the dirt paved road she sobbed, “MOTHER!” She cried. “Why did you have to die? Why did you have to leave me?”
 
Lost in her grief, she failed to acknowledge the stampeding hooves charging towards her. She was numb. Seconds before the onslaught, a flash of bright light engulfed her. A warm, soothing light, embracing her, lulling her into a peaceful slumber.
 
Teal eyes fluttered open.
 
“Tsuki-chan, she's awake!” exclaimed a female voice, from a close distance.
 
She was moving, or being moved. Cradled against someone's bosom. A comfty someone. Looking up she could not see the face of her savior. She saw two silhouettes, their image obscured by the artificial light that lit the Uranian Sky.
 
“Are you alright?” a gentler voice enquired.
 
Haruka was gripping onto the young woman's robes, the one who was cradling her, mumbling a soft, “Yes. Thank you.”
 
“What were you doing out there, little one?” the first voice asked gently. “Your parents must be worried.”
 
At the mention of parents. Haruka felt her eyes stinging again, she cleared her throat, “No one is worried about me. I do not matter.”
 
She felt the arms tighten around her, “That is not true koneko-chan.”
 
Haruka felt a blush rising to her small cheeks.
 
“I'm Hikari, and this Tsukiko. We care about you,” the voice continued to comfort her. “What is your name?”
 
Haruka did not answer, instead she held onto the other girl tighter.
 
The three of them traveled by horseback. Haruka cradled in the blondes arms refusing to speak, and the blonde securely held in place by the dark haired girl with one arm, while her other arm steered the horse reign.
 
“Uranus Haruka,” the other voice spoke after a moment of silence. “You bare the mark of the senshi of wind.'
 
Haruka stiffened.
 
“Eh!?” the blonde exclaimed. “Haruka-chan, we've come for you.”
 
“Our lodging is just ahead,” Tsukiko announced. “We shall stay there the night and decide our destination from there. Will you stay with us Haruka?”
 
Haruka nodded. As long as she did not have to return to the palace she would follow the blonde to the sea and back.
 
Haruka followed the two young women back to a modest inn on the outskirts of the capital, where the blonde called Hikari fussed over her, while the mysterious darked haird girl watched from the sides.
 
“You have beautiful eyes Haruka-chan,” Hikari commented, trying to get the child to speak more.
 
`You have a very comfortable bosom,' thought Haruka, trying to hide her blush. Immediately, after having that thought Haruka felt a piercing chill. She turned to see Tsukiko almost glaring at her. Terrified that the mysterious woman could read her mind, Haruka immediately turned away, blushing.
 
“Thank you Hikari-san,” Haruka focused her attention on the non threatening woman.
 
“Why were you alone and crying?” she gently prodded.
 
“I was not crying,” Haruka solemnly stated. Her gazed fixed on the ground shadowed by her overgrown bangs.
 
Both Hikari and Tsukiko exchanged worried glances. Hikari brushed the bangs out of Haruka's face. “How about I give you a haircut?” she suggested. “You're hair is getting in your eyes causing you to tear up. You don't want anyone mistaking it for crying do you?”
 
Haruka nodded, and allowed Hikari to position her for a haircut.
 
Haruka gazed at Tsukiko, who was now polishing her crossbow. “You said you've come for me. Who are you?”
 
Sapphire eyes met teal. “You are familiar with the destiny of those who bare the mark of the gods?” Tsukiko asked.
 
Haruka nodded. “Those who bare the mark of the gods must endure rigorous training to become the next senshi, protector and guard of Her Majesty Queen Serenity,” Haruka repeated the tale she knew all to well. “A senshi is admired and respected by all. She holds great power. Second only to the High Queen. There are eight planets in the Silver Alliance, Uranus, Neptune, Saturn, Pluto, Venus, Mercury, Mars and Jupiter. Each representative barring the mark of their significant planet gather together in a competition, the brightest warrior, possessing strength, skill and stealth will become the senshi, bringing great pride to her native planet.”
 
“As you may have heard, her Majesty Queen Serenity is due to give birth relatively soon. The senshi candidate for Mercury has recently been revealed. This is the first generation where all potential senshi are so close in age to each other as well as the Serenity heir. There is a grave danger looming in the not so distant future that threatens the Silver Alliance. One Senshi will not be enough. Her Majesty has issued a call for all those baring the mark of the gods to be gathered together. They must all work together, train together. All eight senshi will serve in Serenity's court,” Tsukiko explained.
 
All eight? Now?”
 
“Tsuki-chan, it is far too soon to be telling her all this,” Hikari scolded. “Do not worry Haruka-chan. It will still be a few years before you are called to your training. The representatives of the inner planets are still far too young.”
 
“You understand me thus far, do you not Haruka?” Tsukiko asked Haruka.
 
Haruka nodded. “The selection of the senshi will no longer be a political battle. Not only is the presence of eight senshi a powerful force against those who oppose the High Queen, it should appease each planet, reducing any pre-existing hostilities. Less pressure will be put on us girl, and hopefully unite the planets.”
 
Tsukiko smiled, “Smart girl. Hikari and I, are priestesses, selected by the gods to be a liaison between the gods and Her Majesty. We also have a duty to Earth. Though Earth is not a member of the Silver Alliance, it is the closest planet to the moon thus must be monitored and maintained. It is a young planet, if not properly guided will become a threat to the alliance. We must ensure its growth and survival. The gods have approved the High Queen's request of a full court of senshi.”
 
“Tsuki-chan and I are here to give word of the senshi court,” Hikari finished, “and to meet you Haruka-chan.” Hikari took a few more snippets of hair off. “How is that?”
 
Tsukiko had a bemused smile plaster on her face, “That's a tad much, is it not?”
 
“It has to be even,” Hikari argued. Hikari re-examined her work. “It'll grow even as well,” she mumbled.
 
Haruka gazed into a mirror Tsukiko brought to her. It was a lot shorter than her usual do. She could almost pass off as a boy. This would totally peeve her Step-mother. “I like it.”
 
~*~
 
The aroma of freshly made pancakes filled her senses shaking her from her thoughts. Finding herself seated at the breakfast table, as Hotaru set the table and Setsuna groggily sat at the other end nodding off behind a newspaper. Haruka stretched her long lean limbs. “Ummm…pancakes.” Pancakes today, pancakes yesterday, pancakes tomorrow. Pancakes for the last two months.
 
“It's almost perfect today, Haruka-papa!” Hotaru announced excitedly, with patches of flour staining her dark hair.
 
“It would be perfect by now,” Haruka mumbled. Since the first time Hotaru made pancakes for her papa and two mamas, Haruka made the mistake of telling her it was far better than Makoto's pancakes, Hotaru has been making her parents pancakes every morning.
 
“What was that Haruka-papa?” Hotaru asked, her tone sounding deathly familiar to her Michiru-mama's.
 
“It's always perfect!” Haruka exclaimed good naturedly as she brushed her hair out of her face. “Where's your Michiru-mama?” At that moment Haruka felt her love embrace her from behind.
 
“You abandoned her in bed,” the aquamarine beauty cooed into Haruka's ears.
 
“It's a crime to wake sleeping beauty amidst her slumber,” Haruka replied. After years of being together, Michiru still made her heart race.
 
“A simple kiss would do the trick,” Michru countered.
 
“Ah yes, but sleeping beauty is quite feisty in the morning. From experience I know she won't be satisfied by a simple kiss,” Haruka teased taking Michiru's hand in hers. “Such tasks need be done after breakfast.”
 
“What needs to be done after breakfast?” Hotaru piped up innocently.
 
Haruka grinned at her daughter.
 
“I will trim papa's hair,” Michiru replied, pulling away from her lover to greet their daughter with a hug. Her maternal instincts kicking in, as she licked her thumb to clean off some of the flour staining Hotaru's face.
 
Both papa and daughter frowned, until they heard a loud thump. They turned to find Setsuna groaning. For she had fallen face first onto the breakfast table.
 
Setsuna grumbled about getting the phone and muttered to be excused. Seconds after Setsuna's departure the phone began to ring.
 
 
Minako bounced up the stairs towards the Hikawa Jinja to see Rei and update her on the previous night's festivities and to scold her for not calling like she promised. On top of that Minako was curious about this Fukumiya Tomiko, Rei raved on and on about. She made it a point to google her later.
 
Finally at the top Minako could spot Rei in her usual miko garbs sweeping the courtyard. Minako grinned devilishly as she quickened her pace and attacked Rei from behind, embracing her in an intimate manner. “Rei-chan your breasts have grown,” Minako pointed out groping her friend some more. Minako sensed something different. From a closer standpoint Rei-chan didn't look like Rei-chan, “Rei-chan, did you dye your hair? Tint it maybe? Rei-chan, you smell different.” Minako loosened her hold, yet still groping, “Rei-chan, you're not Rei-chan are you?”
 
“I am afraid you are correct,” the stranger answered, turning to face the touchy feely girl.
 
Minako was mentally cursing herself for mistaking a stranger for Rei, not realizing that she was still groping her. “Are you sure?” Minako asked, hoping that maybe Rei-chan was pulling her leg. Maybe Rei was disguising her voice, and stuffing her bra with rice or fake breasts. She could be using the disguise pen.
 
“Quiet sure,” the voice sounded amused now. Tomiko observed the blonde, who had her eyes shut. This was Minako. The girl from Rei's photo. She indeed resembled Himeko, though not as cute. The red bow seemed quiet fitting.
 
Sensing no malice from `not Rei-chan' Minako opened her eyes, to stare into sparkling sapphire orbs.
 
~*~
She fell to her knees, exhaustion overcoming her, releasing the grip on her sword. “I can't do it. I don't have what it takes. Anyone would make a better leader than me. I'm sorry to have disappointed you.”
 
“You sought my help. You said you wanted nothing more than to protect your princess. Your friends. You would do anything to protect those you care about. Now you are giving up? Do they not matter? I thought you wanted to prove that you were capable and deserved to be a senshi, a leader, that you weren't mundane. Giving up is not even mundane Minako. It lacks character and integrity. It seems I have wasted my efforts with you. How boring…”
 
Venus clenched her fists. “Rei-chan's hurt because of me…I…”
 
“Everyone is alive because of you!”
~*~
 
“I…” Minako was at a lost for words, confused by the unearthed memory.
 
“Minako-san if you please,” Tomiko pointed to the inappropriate placement of the blonde's wandering hands. A slight blush creeping to her normally snow white face.
 
“Sorry!” Minako exclaimed retracting her hands. `Naughty hands. Naughty! Not Rei-chan!' “How did you know my name?” Minako asked.
 
“Rei has mentioned you,” Tomiko replied.
 
“She did?” Minako beamed. “What did she say? Did she call me a pervert? Cause I'm really not. Only with her…” Mina trailed off. “Who are you?” she asked.
 
“Fukumiya Tomiko. I am Rei's cousin,” Tomiko answered. “I inquired about a photo of you last night. Rei-chan says you two are very close.”
 
Mina nodded and bowed, “I apologize for the gropage earlier, it's just I thought you were Rei-chan,” she explained.
 
“It is my fault, for borrowing her hakama,” Tomiko refuted bemused by the humorous blonde.
 
“You two look the same from behind and far away,” Minako continued to babble. “It's not bad that you two look a like. Rei-chan's beautiful. You're both beautiful and gorgeous. You're gorgeous…”
 
 
Rei stretched her arms way up high as she stepped out into the court yard. Grandpa had told her Tomiko was out sweeping, and to assist her cousin. She had also tried calling Minako earlier but a barely audible Usagi said she was on her way over to the shrine with important news.
 
Rei scanned the court for her cousin but what she found stopped her dead in her tracks. Mina. Minako was in Tomiko's embrace. A horrid sense of déjà vu engulfed the fire senshi. Her insides burned, watching her best friend in the arms of her cousin. A sense of loss, like a slap to the face or a punch to the gut, Rei couldn't breathe.
 
“You're gorgeous…” Rei caught the end of the conversation.
 
~*~
The blonde had been avoiding her. Even more so since the ambush on Earth. Never once catching those familiar cornflower blues on her since.
 
Aiding her cast-clad arm, the raven haired beauty sought out her blonde counterpart. The servants had spotted her lurking about the east rose garden during odd hours of the night.
 
Nearly missing the blond through the garden, Rei followed her. `What are you up to Mina?'
 
A path leading outside the palace. Outside the capital. Towards the forbidden forest, where the gods are said to frequent.
 
“Mina!” Rei called out losing her the blonde senshi in the darkness. No reply. Wandering around aimlessly in the maze of a forest. Enchanted with a spell to get unwelcome visitors lost.
 
After what seemed like eternity Rei stumbled across a garden and a shrine. Staying hidden behind the various trees and shrubs. At the foot of the shrine she spotted Minako having tea with a dark haired Miko. She could not hear their conversation but that they were entirely comfortable around each other.
 
The dark haired witch then chanted a few words summoning forth target boards in all direction. She handed Minako bow and closely instructed Minako the correct stance
 
Rei's fist clenched. `If you wanted to practice your archery I would've helped you…' watching the intimate stance the pair was in. She looked at her cast then at the dark haired miko. `It's her…Mina you lied…'
~*~
 
“Mina.”
 
Minako whipped her head around to see Rei standing stonily a few feet away. Her smile brightened. “Morning Rei-chan! I was just getting acquainted with Tomiko,” still in close proximity with the other woman.
 
“I can see that,” Rei answered coldly.
 
“Rei,” Minako called again, stepping away from Tomiko. “You look pale. Are you alright?” She reached to feel her friend's forehead.
 
Rei caught Minako's hand in her own, “I'm okay Mina, really,” she replied her voice softening.
 
Minako smiled, “Good.” Minako let out a long sigh. “Guess what!”
 
“What?” Rei asked, Minako's enthusiasm always contagious.
 
“I got a girl last night!”
 
“You what?” Rei exclaimed her eyes nearly bugging out
 
“Well she was all lonely and by herself at the park. She had nowhere to go. And was going to sleep on the bench. So I brought her home with me. She saved Arty, and Luna jumped her. She has a friend named Mako-chan too, everyone likes her and she's living with us now, ” Minako explained all in one breath.
 
“You found a roommate,” Rei restated.
 
Minako nodded.
 
“So you left your roommate first thing in the morning to come here because?”
 
“I wanted to see you…” Minako paused, “…and tell you in person.”
 
“What's her name?” Rei asked.
 
Both were so engrossed in their own conversation they failed to notice when Grandpa came out to inform Tomiko of a telephone call.
 
 
Ami sighed for the umpteenth time since she's waken up half an hour ago. She had spent the night upon the insistence of three blondes and a Makoto. Her mother was working the night shift yet again, and Ami really didn't want to go home to an empty apartment.
 
After Haruka and Michiru had left the previous night the four senshi decided to help their new roommate unpack whatever belongings she had. There was very little to unpack. A photo album, camera equipment, the bare necessities and few outfits.
 
It was strange how Himeko would receive a letter of acceptance to Toudai after two years of applying, and even stranger that the invitation was extended during the summer vacation, in between terms. It just didn't add up right. Though the evidence has been misplaced, Himeko did not seem like the type to fabricate tales.
 
Again the blunette sighed. She was currently sandwiched between two sleeping blondes. This Himeko could be described as deathly terrifying for she is the only one who can rival the fierce sleeping state of their princess, with legs and arms failing about, crushing innocent bystanders.
 
That fiend Makoto had escaped the deadly blonde clutches by mumbling something in relation with breakfast to the odango-haired sleeper, and was immediately granted freedom, leaving her alone in death's grip.
 
For the passed hour Ami has been trying to wriggle free of the two blondes. She's manage to free herself from Usagi not too long ago, when the phone had started to ring. Clever Ami, softly suggested that the phone will disturpt Mako's cooking, and immediately Usagi answered Rei's call.
 
Himeko now, was difficult to shake. The little blonde kept her in place pinned to the futon most of the night. The blonde shifted every now and then loosening her grip mildly. For Ami just needed to free her left pinky that was gripped tightly by Himeko. With careful strategizing the blunette was soon free and making a beeline towards the exit.
 
Releasing a sigh of relief, Ami looked up to see Makoto smiling cheekily at her.
 
“Sandwiched by two cute blondes, have fun Ami-chan?” Makoto teased. “Should I be jealous?”
 
Ami turned an adorable shade of pink. “And I thought one was bad,” Ami sighed.
 
“Want to help prepare breakfast?” Makoto offered.
 
“You haven't started on breakfast yet?” Ami exclaimed. “It's been an hour! Usagi's going to wake soon.”
 
“I was waiting for you,” Makoto answered. “I just didn't expect you to take so long.” Makoto was actually contemplating re-entering the danger zone to save the water senshi.
 
They'd both been lovers once. Lovers or in love, one or the either maybe both. In the days of old, during the Silver Millennium. They both remembered and acknowledged it and agreed that their past lives should not affect their present lives. Nor allow it to ruin their friendship. There was something there though. A definite something. Neither wanted to risk it. Makoto took Ami's hand in hers and led her to the kitchen. “What do you feel like having?”
 
 
“Himeko…Himeko…HI-ME-KO!” she felt jabbing on her side, quaking her from her slumber.
 
“What is it?” Himeko mumbled, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. “Usagi-chan?”
 
“Good morning, Himeko-chan!” Usagi greeted. “You're a much deeper sleeper than me, and that's saying something. Breakfast is almost ready. If you don't hurry I can't promise you that I'd leave you much.”
 
Himeko smiled. “Thank you Usagi-chan. I am awake,” Himeko yawned and stretched her limbs, “It has been a while since I've slept so well.”
 
“I'm glad,” Usagi flashed her a winning smile. “What are your plans today?”
 
Staring at he ceiling, Himeko contemplated hunting down Tomiko. Amidst their perfect encounter they had forgotten to exchange contact information. She knew Tomiko was off to stay with her cousin at a shrine. `But how many shrines are there in Tokyo? Will I ever see you again Tomi-chan?'
 
“Himeko?”
 
“I might wander about the city. Looking for a job shouldn't hurt,” Himeko answered.
 
“Do you have any plans for tonight?” Usagi further inquired.
 
“Not at the moment,” Himeko replied.
 
“Then you can come with us to Michiru's charity concert tonight!” Usagi exclaimed. Michiru just called saying the performance for a charity concert has been cancelled and asked her to fill in. Do say you'll come. You'll get to meet my fiancée Mamo-chan.”
 
“I don't know if I have anything to wear,” Himeko answered.
 
“We'll go out today! Find you a pretty dress and a job. It'll be like killing two birds with one stone. It'll be fun.”
 
“Well…”
 
Ami called from the kitchen, “Breakfast!”
 
“Good. Now breakfast!” Usagi exclaimed dragging Himeko out of the room.
 
 
That's all folks!
 
A.N. Thank you for all your great reviews. Sorry, I would've made it longer but if I actually wrote up to the point I wanted to I might run out of things to say. Hope you don't mind the librities I took with the senshi's lives during the Silver Millennium.
 
Loadsa Luv
 
Shy Girl1988