Crossover Fan Fiction ❯ Monday Morning ❯ Now That You've Gone Away... ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Monday Morning
Now That You've Gone Away…
 
A few days later, a solemn group of people dressed all in black stood on a grassy slope of the graveyard. The blue October sky was crisp and beautiful, not a cloud to be seen. The grass had begun to fade from its summery emerald colour, but the contrast of colour of the surrounding trees was enough to hide that fact; spectacular reds, golds and oranges, falling softly from their respective trees as the gentle breeze carried them away.
They buried her beneath a large tree on the hilltop with bright red leaves, falling gently onto her newly covered grave. Roses in every hue lay on top of the moist earth that now covered what had once been a vibrant girl, full of life, as well as lilies, orchids, baby's breath…all kinds of flowers imaginable, a tribute to a girl who's life had been taken away so suddenly and tragically.
The group of them together had chosen what was to be her headstone. It was very simple and elegant…her name, dates of birth and death, as well as a small inscription of how much she'd be missed. No cheesy angel or praying hands…a rose. Just a rose, a symbol that held more meaning then anyone else who saw this grave could possibly imagine.
 
And it stings, `cause now the world has grown cold, now that you've gone away.
 
Maxine stood with InuYasha's arms wrapped around her, tears silently yet steadily falling down her cheeks, smearing her black eyeliner in streaks down her skin. Her dress was unusual, as always, because they'd agreed that Meg wouldn't have wanted it any other way. Well…Jack didn't talk much anymore. But they all knew that he knew it as well as they did.
So there she stood, in a black corseted gown, the hem falling in jagged strips around her knees, and a classy pair of knee-high boots without any buckles. She also wore one of those black hats with a netted veil over her eyes…she'd remembered seeing it in the store a few weeks ago, and mentioning to Meg that it was something out of the Helena video. She wore it now as a tribute to her fallen friend.
Kim was dressed similar, black trenchcoat, black blouse and classy dress pants, her long hair pulled up into a spiky bun at the back of her head, making her look like…well…classic goth was really the only word that could come to mind.
The boys were dressed as one usually does for a funeral…all in black, ties, etc. Except Jack. He was dressed formally…as a pirate, in the clothes he'd worn when he'd first stumbled into our world, jacket, sword and all, his hat in his hand, that was held uselessly at his side.
For some reason, they took care to notice each other's appearances. It was a better subject to look at then the grave before them, where at any moment they'd have to leave, and leave their beloved friend, sister, lover, beneath the ground, alone and lifeless.
Seto and InuYasha turned down the hill, back towards their cars, but Max and Kim stayed put, instead stepping forwards towards the small mound of earth, smothered in blossoms.
Kim knelt down beside it, and stared at the headstone, then at the picture of her they'd placed at the head of the flowers, fighting back the tears that sparkled in her eyes. “I can't believe you're not going to be at home when we go back Meg…none of this seems real. It's…it's not fair of you. You've left us all alone here. We need you here with us Meg, to make us laugh, to tell us this is all just a dream.” A tear escaped down her cheek. “Please…just…jump on out of there and tell us it's this big cruel joke…” Her voice cracked, and she felt Max's hand on her shoulder. “Please…”
When Kim found herself unable to go on, Max managed to clear her throat to speak. “I don't even know what to say Megs…I'd like to think we said it all when you were still around…but I know that's not true. We're…we're just going to miss you so much…”
After a moment or two, they both turned away and headed back down the hill, the breeze gently ruffling their clothing, and causing leaves to scatter and fall from the large tree above, sniffling quietly and trying to hold back their tears.
 
Pulled away before your time, I can't deal…it's so unfair…
 
As they were coming towards where InuYasha and Kaiba were standing, Max suddenly turned around as if seeing her surroundings for the first time. “Wait…”
Kim turned to look at her, surprised. “What's wrong?” Mentally, she hit herself. What wasn't wrong?
But it didn't look like that was what Max meant. She kept looking at each of their faces, as if trying to figure something out, before a light dawned behind her eyes as she figured out what was on the tip of her tongue, but couldn't quite place. “Where's Jack?”
Almost at once, the two girls turned to look back up the slope where the newly planted grave was, and saw Jack still standing there, staring down at the mound of earth and flowers. Even as they watched, he moved closer to it and placed his hat in front of her photo.
Max made as if to move and go up there, but InuYasha gently grabbed her sleeve. “Just leave him be,” he said quietly. “He's hurting more than he's letting on.”
Weren't they all?
In the end, it didn't look like Jack had any intention of leaving the graveyard any time soon, so there was no other choice for them but to get into their cars and leave. He obviously wanted time alone, and none of them had the heart to invade on that.
 
And so Jack was left alone standing on the small hill, staring down at the fresh earth that now covered the only girl that he'd ever actually allowed into his heart…and she'd up and left him for good.
Noting that the others were gone, he stopped standing awkwardly beside the headstone and went right out and sat down beside it, side-by-side with her picture. He looked up towards the bits of blue sky that he could see between the bright red leaves of the tree. Glancing at her picture, he felt a great wave of overwhelming loss come over him. Then, and only then since that night, did he allow himself to cry, great heaving, heart wrenching sobs that barely scratched the surface of his pain, the pain of losing the love of his life.
 
I reach to the sky…and call out your name…and if I could trade, I would…
 
It wasn't until the sun set that he could bear to leave her there. And then Meg was alone in the graveyard, covered with dirt, flowers, and the tears that were the only humane way to express the pain felt at her death.
 
 
 
 
 
[[Song lyrics: Gone Away by Offspring]]