D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Phantom Thief Training ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

An: entry in mediaminer's May maximum challenge drabble contest
 
Drabbles must be between 100 and 500 words long.
The Story Type must be "Vignette"
The theme for the contest is "Lessons Learned"
 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own D. N. Angel Yukiru Sugisaki does. This is a work of fanfiction and not an official part of that series.
 
 
 
On his fourteenth birthday Daisuke Niwa carefully opened his front door. He gingerly tested the floor, before stepping in; remembering the pit trap his mother had set for him on his tenth birthday. He had spent two hours, sitting in the bottom of the twelve foot deep shaft, waiting for someone to come along and help him.
 
It seemed safe enough until the tiles gave way only one step farther in and he had to jump for the far edge of the pit. He made it, barely, and hung by his upper arms as he scoped out the floor ahead of him.
 
`Floor sensors, I hate those things,' he moaned internally. He had never found a way around them. He would just have to dodge the … it appeared she set bars to shoot out of the wall, or maybe darts. He hoped it was bars; the darts tended to really sting if he was hit with them.
 
`I guess I have to make a break for it,' he thought, levering himself free from the pit. Taking a deep breath, before running down the hall, madly dodging the carbon fiber bars that shot out, Daisuke even managed to pull a move where he leaped nimbly on top of one bar after it had passed into the far wall, using it to spring over the floor's remaining sensor area.
 
Looking for other obstacles, he made his way to the staircase and had to run up the wall to avoid a well placed banana peel at the bottom. It was slapstick, sure, but on his twelfth birthday just such a trap had left him with a nasty concussion.
 
He was brought back into the here and now as the floor beneath him started to tilt upward; he quickly leaped up, catching its front edge. He just managed to jump clear before it could flip over on him. There was something overhead just in front of him and he took a defensive stance as a trap door opened, dropping an object that could be dangerous, or explosive, or… another banana peel.
 
`What's that for?' he thought as he careful made his way around it. Finally he came to the door to the living room, complete with a sign that said, “here's the living room, goal and congrats!” on it with a big arrow pointing down. He started to reach for the knob but stopped short, last year he hadn't made it all the way into the house because of the live voltage his mother had channeled into the front door, and he could almost feel the currant coursing through this door now. He looked around the door, and finding the wire, he quickly disabled it and entered the room.
 
His mother squealed and grabbed him in a suffocating hug, warbling about how proud she was as his grandfather told him all of his years of phantom thief training were now complete.