D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ The Play ❯ The Play: Part One ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: “The Play. Part One.”
 
“Now, what shall I steal this early morning?” Dark asked himself as he looked down from a window onto the streets of the Arabian city, “Bread… nah, fruits…maybe, meat… can't cook.”
 
“Kyu!” said Wiz.
 
“Right! I'll just get a few melons to make my life easier! There's no sense in making my life any more complicated than it already it.”
 
Dark crept down along the sides of the building and gracefully landed on the dirt streets. He then casually walked down and took a few glances at what could possibly be on today menu and spotted a potential victim. The melon man's son was working for the morning shift and fortunately for Dark, the boy had the attention span of a retarded monkey. “You know what to do, Wiz.”
 
Wiz bounced over to the boy and began to cuddle with him. The boy awed and took the rabbit like puff into his arms and began to rock it. “You're so adorable. I wish papa would let me have you as my pet,” said the boy as he sat down on the ground with Wiz in his arms.
 
Wiz tried to purr and all the while, Dark was slipping a few melons into this hand-made bag. Or man purse as girls like to call it.
 
After Dark a few melons, he motioned to Wiz to come back. Wiz jumped out of the boy's arms and followed after Dark. When the boy turned back to look at his melons, he realized that a few were missing! “Papa! Someone stole some melons!”
 
The boy ran inside but by the time the father came out, Dark was long gone. In fact, he was sitting on a roof top with Wiz feasting on the stolen melons. “Nothing like freshly stolen melons on a hot day!” Dark commented as he stuck his face into the melon.
 
“Kyu!”
 
“Now all we have to worry about is dinner. Shall we steal some meat and try to make a fire, or will it be bread?”
 
Wiz shrugged. Last time they tried to cook meat they nearly set a building on fire. Of course Dark was never caught, but eventually, the building came down. Dark never found out if anyone was ever hurt, but he really didn't care. The streets have always treated him like a rat. A dirty, disease infected rodent; someone not worthy of respect or compassion. So, naturally, Dark never cared for anyone either. Just Wiz. But you really can't call Wiz a person. But he wasn't just a pet either. Wiz and Dark were partners. They worked as a team when it came to stealing foods. Wiz would distract the people while Dark would snatch. They were successful almost every time with a few exceptions. Only a few times someone cried out `Thief,' and Dark was caught in the act, but it was never anything that he couldn't run from.
 
Just then, Dark heard a girl scream. Dark peaked over the edge and saw a few big guys cornering a girl. “You still owe us from last time,” said one guy who had no teeth, “Pay up.”
 
“I owe you nothing! You have me confused with someone else!”
 
“No. We never forget a face,” said another guy as he approached the girl with a long blade.
 
Dark hopped down to a window while Wiz watched the melons.
 
“Leave me alone!” cried the girl as she tried to hit the guy's hand, “Do you even know who you are speaking with?!”
 
The guys started laughing while continuing their assault. Dark finally made it to the bottom, and cautiously approached the scene. “What seems to be the problem?” Dark asked while casually slipping his hands into his pockets.
 
“Go away, commoner,” said one of the guys.
 
“This is our affair. You have no business butting in.”
 
“Well, now that I'm here, I do,” Dark approached them and stood close to one of the bigger guys who had his hand on the pretty lady, “So, I'll say this once. Let her go, or I'll fight you.”
 
The guys stared for a while then burst into laughs. These were all guys roughly six feet seven inches tall with huge muscles and weapons. Dark was not that muscular and he was definitely not six feet seven inches. However, he did have his own weapon. Dark pulled out a whip at the first sight of a knife. The guy held a knife up and Dark cracked the whip. “Let her go,” said Dark.
 
The guy launched himself at Dark who jumped and lashed his whip onto the guy's back. The man whimpered as the whip struck at his back and not only ripped through the layers of rags he called clothes, but through the skin as well.. Dark's whip wasn't just any ordinary whip. It had sharp little razors poking out of the leather that ripped through your skin when it came into contact. The guys back was now bleeding, and the others had already scurried away. “We'll get you for this!”
 
They guy ran off leaving Dark with a mysteriously beautiful woman. “I'm Dark,” he bowed.
 
“Risa,” said the girl.
 
“So, Risa, what business did you have with those punks?”
 
“I don't know. I've never seen them before. They must've mistaken me for someone else,” she turned to Dark and threw her arms around him, “But thank you! I owe you so much! If it wasn't for you, they might have raped me!”
 
“No prob!” Said Dark.
 
Dark led Risa away from the alley and into the streets where there were people. “So, do you know your way home?”
 
“Actually…,” Risa looked around, “Not really. This is my first time in the market place. Usually I send out servants to get me what I need.”
 
“Servants? Then you must be loaded!” Dark commented as he stroked his chin suspiciously.
 
“Yes, but I would like to take you home with me,” Dark noticed that the mysterious girl was giving him those eyes.
 
“I don't know. I would be able to just stay for a while.”
 
“Ok, how about later tonight then. I will meet you back here, and I'll take you to where I live.”
 
“But I thought you didn't know your way around. How are you going to find me?”
 
“You're right. Take me to the palace. I'll know my way from there,” she winked at Dark, and he followed.
 
Dark led Risa through all the short cuts and during the whole way, Risa kept on eyeing Dark. (“He's so handsome! I wouldn't mine marrying him oppose to that cold hearted prince.”)
 
Once they reached the palace, Dark bowed and suggested, “How about I just meet you here since you know your way around from here.”
 
“Yes, that would be lovely.” Risa curtsied and ran off.
 
Dark spun around on his heal and left.
 
Back on the roof top, Wiz sat there until Dark came back. “Sorry, pal. I was sidetracked. There was this babe that was being cornered and so I rescued her. She invited me to dinner too. You can follow and sneak in of course.”
 
Wiz nodded.
 
“Now let's finish our melons. It takes effort to steal after all.”
 
Later that night, Dark waited beside the palace walls. “I wonder why she asked me to wait for her here. Does she work in the palace or something? Maybe she does and I'll be able to meet the princess. Man that would be a hell of a night.”
 
Dark grinned to himself.
 
After about 30 minutes of waiting, the gates opened and a girl walked through them. “I'm sorry to keep you waiting,” she threw her arms around Dark and buried her face in his clothes. She was amazed that he didn't possess any odd odors for someone who slept on the streets. In fact, his scent was quite pleasant. “Come with me,” she pulled him into the gates, but then the guards surrounded them with spears and demanded, “Let the princess go.”
 
“Princess?” Dark released Risa and stepped back, “I didn't know…”
 
“No, wait!” Risa threw herself at Dark and said, “He's my guest! I'll take care of him!”
 
“Nonsense. You do not know what you are saying,” A tale man stepped out. Dark recognized him as the commander of the unit from previous incidents, “Take him away.”
 
“No! Wait! Please!” Risa tried to hold onto Dark, but the guards pulled her away and one whispered to her, “What will his highness say? What will your betroth say?”
 
“Betroth? Then she's already engaged. Stupid whore,” Dark mumbled to himself. He wasn't expecting to be captured so suddenly. He made a mental note to never ever trust a woman. Who would have guessed that she was a princess and that meeting her here would get Dark captured and possibly be sent to the prison cells. “Wait! I'm not going to the dungeons, right?”
 
“Wrong,” said the commander. “You have been recognized as one of the criminals on the Arabian list of the top five most wanted. You are going to the dungeons. I'm afraid that your days of being a thief are over,” the commander waved as a rope was tied around Dark's neck and wrist, and he was taken away while being led by a camel.
 
The evening turned out to be like nothing he had expected. “Damn bitch,” mumbled Dark as he sat against the stone walls of his chamber, “Next time I see a damsel in distress, I'm going to help beat the shit outta her.”
 
Dark's hands were cuffed and chained to the walls, his feet as well, and even his waist. They really made sure that Dark wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.
 
So there Dark sat. Trying to kick at the dirt, which was full of fleas and other strange insects, then decided that he wasn't going anywhere. That was, until Wiz kyued from above.
 
“Wiz! It's about time! Get me outta here!”
 
Wiz squeezed himself through the metal bars and took a look at the contraptions that restricted Dark's movements. After a quick scrutiny, Wiz shook his little furry head. He wasn't going to be able to break Dark out of those. Dark gave him a pout. “I have a metal pick hidden in my hair.”
 
Wiz bounced forth and began to search through Dark's hair. “Kyu!”
 
Wiz pulled out the pick and began to play with the lock.
 
Bingo. One lock undone. Four more to go.
 
Wiz hopped over onto Dark's other shoulder and quickly picked that lock. Yet another one opened.
 
“You did great, Wiz!” Dark massaged his wrists and took the pick. He was about to open the lock around his waist, but then the dungeon doors opened. Someone was approaching his cell. Dark held his breath, and before he knew it, there was a familiar face looking down at him.
 
Risa.
 
“Hey. Long time no see,” said Dark.
 
“Good evening,” she opened the cell and soon unlocked the other locks. “I see you managed to get yourself partially free. You've impressed me, Dark.”
 
She helped Dark to his feet and hugged him. “I know this is a little early in the game, but I want you to stay with me. No one has ever showed so much care and concern for me. I feel safe when I'm with you, so I talked to my father and he said that you can stay here in the palace with me, as long as you promise to never leave these walls unaccompanied.”
 
Wiz was hidden in the shadows but Dark could see him. He noticed that Wiz was nodding as it telling him to accept the offer. “As long as I get a place to stay and food.”
 
“You'll have all that and more!” Said Risa, “So much more!”
 
“Alright then.”
 
As soon as he complied, a group of servants came in and took Dark away, “Wait! Where am I going?!”
 
“To get cleaned up and properly dressed. I can't have a dirty man running around.”
 
The servants immediately took Dark to the princess' chambers where they first gave him a bath. They stripped him from head to toe and tossed him into a tub filled with steaming, warm water. Dark felt like he was in heaven when several ladies joined him to wash his hair and skin. “Ladies, you're too kind.”
 
The women giggled and blushed. It was nice giving a man a bath for a change.
 
After the bath, they helped Dark out and the man grinned as the servant girls dried every little part of his body off with a cotton towel. He liked this new idea of being pampered.
 
Soon, they brought in some clothes and quickly dressed Dark before they sprayed him with fine cologne. “Arabia's finest,” said a woman with a veil.
 
“I guess it'll have to do,” Dark chuckled.
 
After a few minutes, the princess walked in and gasped. “You're even more handsome than before! I didn't think it was possible!”
 
She strolled over to Dark and examined his clothes. “I chose black because I felt that that color suited you the most. Not like my prince whose color is white. You two are almost perfect contrasts.”
 
“So, if I remember correctly, you are already engaged and will be marrying this white prince.”
 
“Yes,” Risa suddenly looked distraught, “Every woman in all of Arabia would die to just look at him. He's the most gorgeous man in the land, but he's the most hateful, bitter, and unsocial of all. He's not a man fit to rule a kingdom. He is more likely to kill even the innocent convicted of treason than to investigate. I fear that our country could be in great danger with him as a ruler.”
 
Dark pondered for a bit, then asked, “Can I meet him?”
 
Risa gasped and shook her head, “Never! He would kill you on sight! I don't even get to see him much, and I will by marrying him soon! He's a devil dressed in white with hair that rivals the light of the sun! He's most graceful and suave. He's an Adonis without any flaws. So perfect is he that it almost makes one wonder if he is actually a god.”
 
“So, when do we meet?”
 
“Perhaps at dinner?” proposed the commander of the guards, “If he wishes to meet our white devil so much, then let him.”
 
The servant girls began to whisper and shriek. Obviously, they've all know him well. “My princess, that wouldn't be wise,” said a dark young girl, “Our prince wishes not to see a commoner breathing in the same air as himself.”
 
“It'll be just for dinner.”
 
“I shall go and inform him. However, if he does not show, then don't be surprised. He hardly shows for dinner as it is.”
 
With that, the commander left and so did all the servants.
 
“I want you to be on your best behavior. Krad always carries around a weapon of some sort and he never lets his guard down. Be careful.”
 
Later that night, Dark found himself sitting at the table with the people who had just sent him to prison. Funny how things can turn out in just a few hours.
 
Dark sat with crossed-legged on a pillow next to the princess who was sitting with her best friend. Soon, a girl walked in and sat across the table looking at Dark. She almost looked like Risa. One could have mistaken them for twins. After a few more moments, the sultan walked in with someone accompanying him. Dark's mouth immediately dropped. Here was the sultan, a man who ruled the entire country, but appeared to be nothing when standing next to this tall and graceful man dressed in white with golden hair. (“He must be the prince.”)
 
The prince took his seat without paying much of any attention to anyone else in the room. He didn't even look up while the servants brought food to the table. “What gives?” Dark asked Risa, “Are we too low for him to even speak to us?”
 
“Krad only talks to my father,” said Risa, “and hardly to me. Not really to anyone else. I don't even really know his voice. That's how little I hear it.”
 
Dark began to dig into the food. He wanted to get Krad's attention, and he had a few ideas of what could get this man to look at him. Dark noticed that the salt was on Krad's side of the table, so Dark looked at him and said, “Hey, Goldie locks, pass the salt.”
 
Krad's movements paused for a second and so did everyone at the table.
 
A moment passed before someone else reached for the salt and passed it to Dark. (“So much for plan A.”)
 
Suddenly, Risa nudged Dark in the side, “Don't ask him for favors! No one ever does!”
 
Dark shrugged it off. Time to go to plan B: Talking with the white devil at your table.
 
“So, your name is Krad, but they all call you the white devil?” Dark directed his question at Krad.
 
No response.
 
“I don't think I've ever seen anything like you. I mean, how often do you see a man with your looks with golden hair? You're no devil. In a matter a fact, I think you're an angel.”
 
Finally, Krad looked up at Dark and Dark was suddenly swept away. His heart began racing. Was it fear? No. It was something else. Something far deeper and more powerful than even fear. “Yes. You're an angel. A white angel.”
 
Everyone at the table had long since stopped eating to see where this was going.
 
“Are you really as unsociable as they all say you are? Are you really as cruel and sadistic as they claim you are?”
 
Krad narrowed his eyes at Dark in response.
 
“I love your eyes,” Dark said seductively.
 
Krad's eyes widened for a moment, then he tore them away from Dark's gaze. “What are you trying to accomplish, boy?” the sultan asked, “Don't you dare speak to Prince Krad that way.”
 
Dark shrugged it off.
 
For the remainder of the night, everyone was quiet until dinner was finished and everyone was dismissed. The sultan and Krad left first of course. Dark sighed and dropped his head. Getting a hold of Krad wasn't going to be easy. He could see that, but he didn't want to give up. No. He wasn't going to give up. He was going to keep on trying until he got that white angel to talk.
 
While Dark walked towards his chambers, he heard someone following him from behind. “So, the little prince is out an about. Never thought I would actually be able to talk with you.”
 
Krad came out from behind the shadows. “You impress me, Dark. I never thought anyone would notice that I was following them.”
 
“You have a beautiful, deep, silky voice,” commented Dark, “Why don't you let others hear you speak?”
 
“Why are you here?” Krad quickly changed the subject.
 
“The princess invited me to stay. Is that a problem?”
 
Krad looked away. His face featured anger.
 
“Don't worry. I'm not making a move on your princess.”
 
Krad chuckled, “Don't get the wrong idea. She was just promised to me.”
 
Dark grinned, “Well, then who do you want?”
 
Krad raised a brow.
 
Gradually, Dark took a few steps forwards, “I mean, you say that you don't want Risa, well, she's a pretty girl. (Yeah right!) No one in the right mind would not want a chick like her. So tell me, is there someone else? Maybe a male lover?”
 
Krad looked astonished that Dark was even directing questions at him. “What are you on about?”
 
Dark shrugged. “So, now that we are friends, can I sleep in your room tonight? I don't want to sleep in Risa's.”
 
Krad threw Dark a death glare.
 
“I'll take that as a `yes.'” Dark now stood nearly three feet away from Krad, “Just lead the way.”
 
“I never said you were invited into my private chambers.”
 
“I invited myself,” Dark wanted to link his arm with Krad's but he felt that if he did, Krad would snap his neck without a second's thought.
 
“Not tonight, I'm afraid,” said the sultan, “You are Risa's personal servant. You cannot sleep in another's room without your master's permission.”
 
(“So, I'm going to waltz into Risa's room, kneel like a slave, and beg her to let me sleep in Krad's room? There's no way in HELL that she'll comply!”)
 
“What is all the noise about?” asked Risa who appeared out of nowhere.
 
(“Where did she come from?!”)
 
“Krad, did you summon me?” Risa asked Krad, “And my father?”
 
“Summon?” Dark tilted his head, “So you always have others around to tend to your every need?”
 
“Of course. It's for Krad's protection,” explained Risa.
 
Dark sighed. So there was really no way of being alone with Krad.
 
“I'm off,” Krad turned and left.
 
Dark wanted to follow, but Risa grabbed his hand and whispered, “Sleep with me.”
 
Dark wanted more than anything to just slap her and chase after Krad, but instead said, “Whatever my princess desires.”
 
“Cut!” said the director, “That's it for now!”
 
The students jumped off the stage. Dark immediately turned to face Krad who was leaning against the stage settings. He grinned and walked over, “It's amazing that these kids don't realize that we are neither Daisuke nor Satoshi.”
 
“And let's leave it like that. Otherwise the deal's off, and Satoshi won't be happy with that.”
 
“You made a deal with your vassal?” Dark asked with curiosity.
 
Krad nodded, “With pleasure.”
 
“Odd. Daisuke made a deal with me. What was your deal about?” Dark asked, “Daisuke's resting, so he won't hear.”
 
“Satoshi is fast asleep as well. Dreaming of your Daisuke,” Krad winked, “The deal was that Satoshi would be allowed to have one moment and share one kiss with Daisuke without my interruption.”
 
“Hmmm… Strange. I promised Daisuke almost the same thing, but instead, he gets to have as many moments with Satoshi until the very last second of the final performance.”
 
“So I guess Daisuke will be enjoying himself. If he only knew how much Satoshi wanted him too.”
 
“Same here. But I can't tell him that. Otherwise he'll never be able to pay any attention to other matters. We'll just let them figure things out on their own.”
 
Krad nodded. “Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some other things to attend to.” As Krad slowly walked away, his body condensed and Satoshi continued in his steps.
 
A/N: Please review, and I am searching for an editor with experience.