D. N. Angel Fan Fiction ❯ Who is the Greatest Thief? ❯ Wishes Left Ungranted ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Who is the Greatest Thief?
 
Chapter 9—Wishes Left Ungranted
 
(A/N: Part 2, peeps!!
 
This chapter is dedicated to Akkiko, and is part of her birthday present (her 18th birthday, which was a month ago) :gets shot: Happy 18th, kid!)
 
Note:::
 
`. . .' is Daisuke speaking to Dark OR Satoshi speaking to Krad
 
:. . .: is Dark speaking to Daisuke
 
/. . ./ is Krad speaking to Satoshi
 
---
 
Aiko placed the mirror in the chair and sat in front of it. “Hi, Yuuko. We have a bit of a problem.”
 
The witch transferred her gaze to the three men in the room. “Been meddling again?”
 
Aiko frowned. That was too close to what Krad had said. “No. It was an accident.”
 
“Nothing is an accident. It is all—”
 
“Hitsuzen,” the three girls spoke. The boys looked confused.
 
“We know, Yuuko,” Ginryu said. “And it's also hitsuzen that we fix it. That's the only path we want to take.”
 
“Well, if you've made your choice. . .” Yuuko shifted in her seat. “You have the object?”
 
Aiko took the Vase of Demeter and held it up to the mirror. It disintegrated into the surface and Yuuko inspected it.
 
“We need more information about how this thing works,” Aiko said. “We know that its effects are only temporary, but—”
 
“The full story is rather complicated.” Yuuko gave the vase to someone out of view. “Put it in the back room with the others, alright?”
 
A chorus of “Yes mistress,” came and the group heard footsteps running away.
 
“Hang on,” Dark said, “Who exactly are you?”
 
Yuuko smiled at him. “I am merely a shopkeeper at a very special store.”
 
“She grants wishes,” Ginryu said. “People who have a wish go to her and, for a certain price, will have it granted.”
 
“What's the `certain price'?” Daisuke asked.
 
“It depends on the wish,” Yuuko said. Something about her turned serious, sinister. “It could be an object, or an action. Sometimes we ask for a soul.”
 
“That's. . .” Dark stopped and sat back.
 
“What?” Tenshi asked.
 
“Never mind.”
 
There was a pause, and Aiko turned back to the mirror. “So, what's the full story of the vase?”
 
Yuuko nodded. “It is from a distant time and world, one where humans were constantly being possessed by lesser demons trying to survive. Eventually the vase was created to counteract these situations.
 
“The possessed individual, usually a child, would be tied down and doused in the water. The demon would emerge and be cut down by waiting warriors.” The witch leaned her head on her hand. “But circumstances were not always in the humans' favor. If the demon was powerful enough, it would escape.”
 
“And then?” Ginryu asked. Everyone seemed to be holding their breath.
 
Yuuko closed her eyes. “The connection between the demon and the child was not completely severed by the waters' powers. If the demon escaped, and was not killed within a few days, it would return to possessing the child.”
 
“Couldn't the people just use the vase again?” Dark asked, his face serious.
 
“No. The waters would work only once on an individual. In most cases, if the demon was not destroyed, it would possess the individual forever.”
 
“So we just need to wait for a few days, and we'll be back to normal?” Daisuke asked.
 
“It may be longer, it may be shorter. You—” Yuuko transferred her gaze to Dark. “—and the other attached to you—” She glanced at Satoshi. “—are not demons. You are something very, very different.”
 
“And how exactly does that work?” Ginryu asked, crossing her arms. She was also looking at Dark. “What are you?”
 
Dark shrugged. “Krad and I were created by the Hikari family, who were famous creators of artworks. We were once part of a whole being, but then something happened to make us split. I've been connected to the Niwa family for a long time. Krad's been connected to the Hikari family for an equal amount of time. Our existence has always been. . .complicated.”
 
“Whose isn't?” Tenshi muttered.
 
“And fate has led you to this very point,” Yuuko said. “There is nothing simple about this occurrence. What has happened is going to effect your world, in uncountable ways, until you are bonded again.”
 
“And that will definitely happen?” Satoshi asked. Everyone stared at him; the youth had been silent for so long, they'd almost forgotten him.
 
Yuuko stared back at him for a moment. “Yes. That is the only path open for you right now.”
 
“You say you grant wishes?”
 
Korazuma, Aiko and Ginryu looked away. They had seen this coming.
 
Yuuko shook her head. “I know your wish, Satoshi Hikari.” He stiffened at the name. Dark also looked away at this point. “And you are not capable of paying the price.”
 
“I see.” Satoshi stood. “Excuse me.” He strode out of the apartment.
 
Aiko turned back to the mirror, faking cheer. “Well, thanks, Yuuko, that was very helpful.”
 
“I suggest you keep an eye on the four until they are bonded again,” the witch said.
 
“Right. Anything else?”
 
Yuuko frowned slightly. “You three girls do not have an easy path ahead of you. Use caution.” She smiled her mocking smile again. “I will have a new job for you in a day or two, to pay for the information I have given tonight.”
 
“Right—a price for everything,” Korazuma said, smiling slightly. “We'll hear from you later, then.”
 
Yuuko nodded, and mist filled the mirror again before reflecting the living room. Aiko turned.
 
“Go give this to Hiwatari-kun,” she said, throwing the charm at Kora. “And bring him back in here so we can plan.”
 
“Why me?”
 
“'Cause you fancy him.”
 
Dark made a choking noise. Ginryu and Aiko laughed. Kora blushed and left the room rather quickly.
 
---
 
/Satoshi. . .you must come and release me./
 
:NO.:
 
/Satoshi. . .we must seize upon this opportunity./
 
:No. This game is on my terms!:
 
/Do you really still believe that?/
 
“Hiwatari-kun?” Satoshi looked up to see Korazuma approach. “We're, ah, talking about what to do with you.” Huh. That had sounded much better in head.
 
“Right.” Satoshi pushed off the wall and looked at the hand she offered. In it was a small fetish on a chain. “And that is?”
“It will help with the voices in your head.” Kat stared at him, completely serious. Satoshi snorted, a smile cracking his cool exterior. Kora smiled back, though hers faded when he walked past her.
 
“Thank-you, but I don't want it.”
 
“Satoshi.” Kora turned as he paused, still holding out the charm. “It will help.”
 
Satoshi shook his head slightly. “Why should I get used to it?” He went back into the apartment. A sobered Kora followed him.
 
“So where do we go from here?” Ginryu asked, looking at Aiko.
 
“Why are you asking me?”
 
“'Cause you're the leader. I'm the joker, and Kora's the annoying conscience that angsts when we don't listen to her.”
 
“Screw you, Gin.” Korazuma flopped into an armchair. “Yuuko said to keep an eye on Satoshi, Daisuke, Dark and Krad. It's smart advice; we don't know what will happen when they. . .reabsorb each other.”
 
Dark snickered. “Nice way of putting it.”
 
Kora shrugged, smiling. “I thought it was good as any.”
 
“So we have two options,” Aiko said cheerfully. “Either keep them all prisoner here indefinitely, or we three split up and let them go home. Except for the psycho—” She gestured to her room. “—He can stay safely tied up here.”
 
“I don't like the thought of staying here indefinitely,” Satoshi offered, a wry smile on his face.
 
“I second that,” Daisuke said. “I think my mom would freak.”
 
“And then she'd come armed to the teeth to rescue you,” Dark muttered.
 
“Ah, okay then. We'll let you go home,” Aiko said, sweatdropping. “Dibs out dealing with Dai's mother.”
 
“Dibs out,” Kora seconded.
 
“Dibs—dammit.” Ginryu facepalmed. “Fine. Lemme get a bag together.” She tromped off to her room.
 
Korazuma turned a bland gaze to Aiko. “I'm not staying with the psycho. No offense, Hiwatari-kun.”
 
“None taken.”
 
Aiko sighed. “Well, since he's already in my room. . .fine. I don't want to go in there anyways. So you can go home with Hiwatari-kun.” She smiled.
 
“Fine.” Korazuma stood and went to pack her own bag.
 
Satoshi shook his head. “This isn't necessary.”
 
Aiko narrowed her eyes. “Yes. It is. If Krad. . .reabsorbs, or whatever, into you tonight, you could be knocked unconscious. Or he could take over, and from what I've seen, that's something we want to avoid. He's already hurt Kora-chan—” Satoshi winced. “—I don't want to see what happens if he goes after Dark and Daisuke.”
 
“Nor do I,” Satoshi muttered.
 
There was an awkward pause. Dark stood. “Well. . .this has been an interesting night. Thanks for that.”
 
Aiko stuck her tongue out at him. “I don't know if you're being sarcastic, so I'll just say `you're welcome'.”
 
Ginryu came out of her room carrying a backpack. “Okay guys, let's go.” She, Dark and Daisuke moved towards the door.
 
“Hold it.” Korazuma emerged from her room, bookbag swinging. “You're not driving. I'll drop you three off.” She nodded to Satoshi, who followed her out the door.
 
“Aww, you are no fun—” Ginryu's whine was cut off as the five of them exited the apartment.
 
As the door slammed, Aiko looked over at her closed bedroom door. It was silent, for now. She sighed.
 
“This is going to be a long night.”
 
---
 
(A/N: Yay! Finished! (and in less than 24 hours!) This is amazing!~
 
So the next three chapters are going to be about the evening's events, each from the point of view of one of the girls. What surprises could be lurking in the shadows? :cackles: What fun, what fun!)
 
Disclaimer: All D.N.Angel characters are copyright to Yukiru Sugisaki. Yuuko (and any other xxxHOLiC characters) are copyright to CLAMP. Original characters are copyright to me.