Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Blue Smoke ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

 
“Text” is spoken in Japanese.
Text” is spoken in English.
 
Chapter Two.
 
Light knew something was different the moment he set foot inside the house. The smell of freshly-baked cookies permeated the air, reaching his nose the second he pushed open the door, which first alerted him to the fact that something was amiss. His mother never baked this early in the month; she always waited until the week before Christmas. The sound of his mother's voice echoed from the kitchen - his mother never talked to herself, and Light found it hard to imagine that she would suddenly pick up on the habit now.
 
He noticed the boots after a quick sweep of the foyer. A dirty pair of boots, caked with slush and several sizes too small to belong to his mother or even to himself. Lips twitching downwards in a thoughtful frown, Light proceeded to enter the house, carelessly releasing his grip on the door and allowing it to close by itself.
 
“Ouch! Brother, watch what you're doing,” Sayu complained from behind him, disgruntled about almost having the door slammed in her face - especially since Light was usually such a gentleman and held it open for her. Luckily, her crutches had caught against the doorframe in time to keep it from closing all the way.
 
Light apologized quickly and pulled the door back open so that Sayu could hobble inside. She cast him an annoyed but grateful smile and then proceeded to kick off the shoe that adorned her good foot. At that moment, she too noticed the extra pair of boots on the rack.
 
“Huh? Company?” she wondered aloud, glancing around the foyer as if a stranger would suddenly appear out of thin air.
 
“...think Light and Sayu are home,” their mother's voice trickled from the kitchen. “Oh, don't look so shy,” she said before calling for her children.
 
Light and Sayu exchanged curious looks before making their way into the kitchen. As they passed under the archway, they noticed their mother standing before the stove, transferring freshly baked cookies from the pan onto a decorative platter.
 
“Welcome home,” Sachiko greeted with a warm smile, turning away from the oven to face her children. Both Sayu and Light made to return the greeting, but the words died in their throats as another figure poked his head out from behind Sachiko, who chuckled and then stepped aside, revealing the boy entirely.
 
He was weird. That was the first thought that popped into Light's mind as he gave the boy a quick once over. The first thing that stuck out about the boy was his posture. If standing upright, Light guessed that he would probably be about as tall as himself - maybe a fraction of an inch shorter, if one actually took the time to measure - but as it was, the boy stood hunched over, his back arched in a way that made him resemble a monkey more so than a human being; if they stood side-by-side the boy's head would probably just reach Light's chin.
 
The next thing Light found strange was that half of the boy's face was concealed by a thick, cream-colored scarf (why was he even wearing that - and his coat, too? Didn't he realize that he was inside?) The half that wasn't was almost deathly pale, and Light had to wonder if he had some kind of illness. His eyes were wide and hollow, partially concealed by the coarse black bangs that hung in front of them. Light shivered involuntarily as they locked on him and fought the urge to take a step back.
 
“Light, Sayu,” Sachiko said, drawing their attention to her once more, “this is Lawliet-kun. He'll be staying with us for the holidays.”
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
There is nothing I can say about him.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
 
After introducing them, Sachiko sent Lawliet out of the room, telling him to go and start unpacking his belongings and that she would join him shortly. Without a word, Lawliet exited, leaving Sachiko alone in the kitchen with her children.
 
Sayu spoke first, in a high-pitched voice brimming with excitement. “Who is that boy, mama? Why is he staying here?”
 
Sachiko smiled at her, wondering how to best explain the situation to her daughter. Sayu was so young; would she even be able to understand?
 
“Well, Sayu, there are some children in the world who don't have loving families to spend the holidays with. Unfortunately, Lawliet is one of these children.”
 
Sayu frowned. “He doesn't have a family?”
 
“Not anymore. His parents both passed away earlier this year.” Sachiko couldn't bring herself to say that the police suspected Lawliet's parents had been murdered - she didn't even like thinking about that possibility, though the world was rotten enough to make her believe it. “So, I've decided to let him stay with us, in hopes of making his Christmas a little bit brighter. I know we can't replace his family, but... well, I'm hoping that we can be his friends.”
 
Sayu grinned and raised one of her hands enthusiastically. “I'll be his friend! And Light, too - right, big brother?” She looked over to him for an affirmation.
 
Light, who had been staring at the doorframe from whence Lawliet took his leave, blinked as he was suddenly addressed. “What did you say?” he asked, having missed a majority of the conversation while lost in his thoughts.
 
Sayu giggled, seeing it as a small victory that she was able to catch her brother not paying attention. “We're gonna be Lawliet's friends, right?”
 
Light's mind drifted back to the strange boy. Under any other circumstances, Light wouldn't even approach Lawliet. There was just something about him that sent chills down his spine, and Light didn't like it, didn't like the unnerving void of Lawliet's beetle-black eyes.
 
“Oh... yes, of course,” he said, smiling pleasantly, never one to give an answer unless he knew it would be well-received.
 
Sachiko gave him a look of appreciation. “I'm counting on you especially, Light. He needs a companion right now. I can tell he's hurting badly... having a friend in this time of need will help him greatly.”
 
Light nodded his head. “I know,” he agreed. “Don't worry, mom. I'm sure we'll get along.”
 
“He may not be very willing right now, but give him some time. I'm sure he'll get over his shyness.”
 
Sayu looked anxiously towards the stairwell. “Mama, can I go help him unpack?” she pleaded.
 
“No you may not. You, missy, have to start on your homework. There's a whole two weeks before Christmas break. I don't want your grades slipping because we have a guest in the house. That goes for you as well, Light.” She glanced pointedly at her son, though she knew it wasn't necessary - Light always excelled in school.
 
Light nodded in understanding, glad to use homework as an excuse to avoid Lawliet, while his younger sibling whined about how unfair their mother was being.
 
“But mama! I have all night to do my homework! I want to get to know Lawliet...”
 
“Homework comes first, young lady. Now, off to your rooms, both of you. The sooner you get your work done, the sooner you can spend time with Lawliet.”
 
Sayu pouted but eventually gave in, knowing that she couldn't go against her mother's wishes. She stared out of the room and Light made to follow her, only to be stopped by his mother's hand on his shoulder.
 
“I hope you don't mind, but Lawliet is going to be staying in your room while he's here.”
 
Light's eyes widened a fraction. His room? That would be so awkward... he didn't want to be anywhere near that weirdo! But he should have known; it wouldn't be proper for Lawliet to sleep in Sayu's bedroom, and there was no way Sachiko would make him sleep on the couch (even if it was a pull-out). Swallowing his annoyance, Light gave a curt nod and hoped that his eyes didn't give away his true feelings about the circumstances.
 
“Our unpacking his suitcase won't be too distracting, will it? I want you completely focused when you do your work.”
 
Light smiled to qualm her fears. “It's fine, don't worry, mom. I don't mind at all.”
 
Sachiko, not for the first time, felt blessed to have such a selfless boy. Together, they left the kitchen. Sayu was steadily making her way up the stairs, gripping onto the railing and moving at a snail's pace, trying to keep as much pressure off of her left foot as possible. Light and Sachiko stayed behind her, forming a barrier that could catch her should she loose her balance.
 
Eventually the three reached the top of the staircase. Sachiko helped Sayu into her room (as she'd left her crutches downstairs) while Light continued to the end of the hallway to his own bedroom.
 
Lawliet was sitting (could it even be called that?) in the farthest corner of the room next to the small bureau with his knees drawn up to his chest. The thick wool coat he wore had parted due to his crouch and Light could see the faded material of worn blue jeans covering his legs. He looked up as Light entered the room, the unblinking charcoal eyes swiveling in the direction of the door, locking on the form of the young boy. Light stared back at him for a moment, frozen, before moving forward.
 
Part of him wanted to just ignore Lawliet's presence and start on his homework - as his mother said, homework was more important - but, at the same time, something inside of Light wouldn't let him pass by a person in need of assistance (no matter weird they were or how badly he wanted to dismiss them). He truly didn't want to help Lawliet unpack, but he was too polite not to ask.
 
“Hey,” Light greeted unsurely, his feet coming to a halt as he reached Lawliet's side. Lawliet continued to stare, doing nothing more to acknowledge him. “Um... do you need some help?”
 
Lawliet seemed to consider the offer, narrowing his eyes very slightly and bringing a hand to his lips. He sucked on his thumb and Light began to feel uncomfortable under the long stretch of silence.
 
Finally, after Light had begun to think that Lawliet was merely choosing not to dignify him with a response, Lawliet shook his head, a simple `no'.
 
For some reason, it bothered him that Lawliet didn't accept his help. He had no true desire to help the boy, true, but it hadn't been only assistance in unpacking that he had offered; there was also the tentative offer of brief company. No one had ever refused Light's company. He was generally popular and well-liked.
 
...What, did Lawliet think he was too good for Lights was that why he didn't speak to him?
 
He's just a stupid orphan... there's no way he can think he's better than me.
 
Light huffed and turned away from him, situating himself at his desk. He was well aware of those eyes continuing to bore holes into his back as he started on his math assignment. Light tried not to let it get to him, but the prickling sensation of having every movement observed became irritating very quickly.
 
After several minutes passed and Lawliet refused to direct his attention elsewhere, Light slammed his pencil on his desk. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Lawliet jump from the suddenness of the action and lose his balance, falling backwards onto his rear end.
 
“Why do you keep staring at me?” Light demanded to know, not bothering to spare a glance in the boy's direction.
 
Lawliet repositioned himself, taking his time in doing so. “Light-kun is angry,” he stated the obvious, thumb returning to his mouth.
 
Light bristled at the usage of his first name. Who did this kid think he was? They were not familiar with one another. “Don't call me by my first name - you don't know me.”
 
Lawliet's gaze fell. He wriggled his toes. “I apologize. I am still not very familiar with Japanese customs.”
 
Light had forgotten that Lawliet was a foreigner. From America, was it? That explained the lack of manners...
 
Yeah, well... now's the chance for you to learn,” he said, not really knowing what else to say.
 
Will Yagami-kun be my teacher?”
 
Light raised an eyebrow. Lawliet didn't want his help unpack, yet expected him to be his tutor in Japanese etiquette? Light shook his head. “I'm busy” - he gestured to his math textbook - “have my mom help you, or ask Sayu. Though I doubt Sayu will know much of what you're saying if you only speak English.”
 
“I know some Japanese,” Lawliet informed him matter-of-factly, switching languages to prove it. “Mama taught me.”
 
Lawliet's eyes suddenly widened as if he just realized something. Light watched as his figure began to curl in on itself, the hunch in his back becoming even more pronounced as he touched his head to his knees and wrapped his lanky arms around his legs. He was saying something, but due to the scarf wound around the bottom half of his face, Light was unable to make out what it was.
 
Light stared openly, unsure of what to do.
 
(He had seen the crestfallen look on Lawliet's face before the boy hid his face away. Was he crying?)
 
Luckily, his mother chose that moment to enter the room. As soon as she spotted Lawliet's fetal position on the other side of the room, she gasped and rushed over to him, fearing for the worst. Kneeling on the floor beside him, she whispered his name, hoping to catch his attention but to no avail. Lifting her head, she sought out her son's face and gave him a fierce look.
 
“Did you say something to him?” she questioned. “Were you rude?”
 
Light felt a sharp pang in his chest, brought on by the fact that his mother thought this was his fault. He hadn't done anything wrong! Why was his mother being so protective of Lawliet? It wasn't as if he was her son...
 
“I didn't do anything,” he swore, cheeks reddening in restrained anger. He felt strangely betrayed, seeing his mother kneeling beside Lawliet, holding a hand to his shoulder comfortingly. “He said his mom taught him some Japanese, then he got all weird.”
 
At the mention of the word `mom', Lawliet's body quivered. Sachiko gave a sympathetic sigh and reached out to him, wrapping her arms around his narrow shoulders.
 
“There, there. It's okay. I'm here for you.”
 
Lawliet wiped at his eyes and tried to pull away from the woman, not wanting her pity or kind embraces.
 
“It's okay to be sad, Lawliet-kun,” Sachiko told him, smiling gently.
 
Lawliet didn't look at her, only stared at the floor intently.
 
Taking the hint that this subject was not one he wanted to discuss, Sachiko quickly dropped it and moved away from the boy, fixing her gaze on his small suitcase. “Let me help you with this.”
 
Lawliet didn't decline the offer, as he had Light's. He sat beside the woman, watching as she transferred his clothing from the bag to the bottom drawer of the bureau.
 
At his desk, Light continued to stare, perturbed by what he had just witnessed.
 
 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
He's too strange for words.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 
To be continued.
 
Lawli: Yay, Light and L have officially been introduced!