Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note : Rebirth ❯ Justice ( Chapter 60 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
CHAPTER 18
 
JUSTICE
 
 
“I grow tired of this, Firthe. I grow tired of judging people all the time. How much will this last?”
“Probably for the rest of the eternity, Markov. It is our job after all.”
“Yes, I know that, but couldn't have Sentir gave us something else to do?”
“Shh. Don't say that out loud. You know quite well that Sentir is the Supreme Ruler and we have to obey.”
“Yes, I know that too. You don't have to repeat it all the time.”
“Ah, look who's here.”
“Yagami Light. What is this? The 22th time?”
“23rd.”
“Oh, so it's my turn again?”
“I'm afraid it is.”
“Damn”
<< What the hell? Wasn't I dead? I think I am. Where am I? >>
“Light. Welcome back.”
“Huh? Back where?”
“You don't remember of course. But you've been here several times before.”
“What the hell are you talking about? Where am I?”
“Welcome to the Court of Ultimate Judgment.”
“Wait, so there actually is a judgment after you die?”
“Of course there is. Did you think you'll get in hell that easy?”
“Well, yeah. Or maybe I hoped there will be nothing after I die.”
“You won't get off that easy. Anyway, let's begin. Firthe, can you please give me the papers.”
“Here you go.”
Firthe handed Markov a red envelope from which he pulled out something that seemed to be an official document.
“Well then, Yagami Light, you are being charged with crime against humanity, your own kind, and abuse of supernatural power. Do you have anything to say in your defense?”
“Ok, fine. I'll play along. Well … Markov, that was your name, right?”
“That is correct.”
“Well, let's start with my so called crimes against humanity. The thing is, I did what I had to do. I did not commit any crimes against it; I actually tried to help them by ruling out the nuisances. The ones that made life terrible for others. Criminals.”
“Is that all?”
“No. The abuse of power still remains. Concerning this, I was given the power by the death gods willingly and I merely used it for what it was created. The Death Note was created to kill right? So I used it to kill. I don't see any problem here.”
“The Death Note was created to live not to kill.”
“Huh?”
“And although those people were criminals, they were still human. And you murdered them. You were not given the right to judge. That is our purpose. You will never understand, Light.”
“There's nothing to understand. You are just a foolish old man. You can't possibly know how it is to live as a human.”
“I may be old, but I'm not foolish. And as a matter a fact I do know how it is to live as a human. I am one.”
“Anyway. Can I go now?”
“Not so fast, young man. Firthe, you may have the honor.”
“Thank you, Markov.”
Firthe took out another document out of the red envelope, cleared his throat and then said:
“Yagami Light, being charged with crimes against humanity and abuse of power, you are hereby sentenced to eternal life loop. You will forever live the same life until the day you will admit your crimes in front of the Court of Ultimate Judgement.”
“What? It's not over?”
“Not even close, Light. Guard! Take him away to the tunnel!”
“Wait! What tunnel?”
“Come on, Light, your mother is about to give birth to you. You shouldn't make her wait.”
“What the hell?”
Two guards wearing old Japanese uniform, like the samurai used to, approached Light and grabbed him by his arms. Although Light tried to fight them off, he had no chance to begin with. They dragged him into an old looking chamber which was completely empty except for the tunnel in the middle it. It kind of resembled the tunnel that tied the human realm to the death god realm. But this time, Light wasn't just going to visit the human realm. He would be reborn and forced to live the same life all over again.
They threw him in and watched him fall until he completely disappeared.
 
*
 
The death god realm was almost entirely empty and sad. Only a few death gods here and there. Most of them bored. The only noticeable ones were a group of death gods that were gambling all day long.
“What? Two skulls on their sides?”
“Haha! I win. Don't hate me now.”
“Hey, Ryuk. You want in?”
“You should play with us every now and then.”
Ryuk was a death god that seemed lonely and sat besides the group on a tall rock.
“Nah, no thanks.”
<< It's been five days now. >>
“ `Bout time I get going. “