Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Dye Another Day ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: Hola. So I have no idea what brought this on. As for the title, I've never seen a James Bond film in my life. This is my first attempt at humour, so be kind please. On with the story.
 
Disclaimer: Death Note belongs to Takeshi Obata.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
 
“Hey Mel,” Matt called as he wandered into the room.
The blonde didn't look up. He knew Matt hadn't either, or there would have been some comment. The sound of lasers and explosions from Matt's gameboy had never been more welcome. It was only a matter of time, though, before the other noticed. Mello knew by heart how these encounters with Matt and his games went. He would look up in three… two… one…
“Damn, Mello. What the hell happened to your hair?” The gamer whistled, suppressing a laugh.
The blonde glared up at him from where he was sitting at his desk. He knew precisely what the techie was talking about. His hair was an odd red-black colour and missing a chunk on one side. He could see Matt laughing silently. Oh all the lovely things going on in his mind right now. So many ways to make Matt wish he had forgotten how to laugh… But there was a crisis at the moment. He looked like he'd been used as a paintbrush and then lost a fight to a weed-trimmer. There was no way he could let anyone else see him like this. It was bad enough Matt had seen him like this. The chances of the techie letting him live it down were slim to none.
“Cheryl,” Mello ground out.
Again Matt snickered. “That girl you've had a crush on for the past, like, two years?”
Mello nodded grimly.
“Shows what that'll get you,” Matt smirked.
“At least I have crushes on girls,” Mello hissed, more threatening than sarcastic.
Matt ignored the biting tone in his voice as he protested. “Hey! Not cool. I have crushes on girls!”
“Oh, so David's a girls' name now?” Mello smirked.
“Man, I knew it was a mistake telling you about that,” the gamer grumbled, turning quite a few interesting shades of red.
“Whatever,” Mello said, dismissing the techie's protests. “That's not fixing this.” He held up a lock of his once-golden hair as though it were a dead rat left out in the sun for a few days.
“I hate to say it, Mel, but I don't think there's much hope,” the redhead said with a half- grin. “I mean…”
“What am I supposed to do?” the black clad boy whined. “I can't even leave the room with this.”
“I don't know why you're making such a fuss about it,” Matt said, glancing down at his forgotten game. “I mean, if we evened it up it wouldn't look too bad. And maybe make the red a little darker…”
Mello was glad sometimes that Matt was sensible about these things. On the days when the gamer nagged him for wearing two different shades of black, it got annoying, but now it was nothing short of a miracle. Honestly, were there even shades of black? Mello decided he'd just let Matt do whatever he saw necessisary. It's not like it could get any worse.
“Let me just get some scissors,” the younger boy said, setting down his gameboy. “And ask Cheryl about the dye.”
“Wait, what?” Mello had tuned out most of Matt's rant.
“You have black patches that I can't do anything with, but if we make the red more of a blood colour I think you could pull it off,” Matt said matter-of-factly. “And we'll need to get rid of the rest of the blonde.”
Mello groaned. “Fine.”
Ten minutes later Matt was back, dye and scissors in hand and a Cheshire cat grin pasted across his face that made Mello cringe. If they both lived to see the end of this it would be a miracle. Mello obeyed as Matt told him to turn his chair around and he watched the gamer settle himself on the table. This was not going to be pleasant, he was sure.
“Wow, Mello,” Matt chuckled. “She sucks at this. What made you let her do this? I mean, you're always so touchy about your hair.”
“I don't know,” the blonde whined, sinking down in his chair. “Just fix it.”
“You know, you tease me about David - which was a onetime thing, by the way - but at least he never made me look like a paint pallet threw up on me.” Matt was laughing outright now. He had set to work evening out the bottom of Mello's hair before he tried to do anything with the colour.
“Yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't see why it can't just all be black,” the blonde griped.
“You would look dead,” Matt said, snipping the section of hair he was holding as though to make his point.
Mello just sighed and muttered something under his breath that Matt was glad he hadn't heard.
After what felt like forever, Matt finally released the older boy, sending him over to the mirror to see if he approved. Mello had to admit, it did look a little better. The edge was a little above his jaw now and the bloody colour wasn't as awful as he'd expected. It made him look dangerous and he almost like the way it kind of blended with the black splotches.
His admiration of Matt's work was cut short by the dinner bell. The gamer had to shove him through the door, repeating over and over bits of encouragement about how he looked fine and no one would notice. Finally Mello gave in and the two made their way down to the dining hall.
As a tiny boy dressed all in white settled next to him Mello could feel those piercing grey eyes watching him.
“What do you want, Near?” Mello sneered at the boy who was twirling his hair contemplatively.
The boy seemed to consider this for a moment before answering with a question of his own. “Why does Mello look like a bloodstained Dalmatian?”
The blonde could feel his face heating up as he trembled with rage. “MATT! I'm gonna kill you!”