Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ End is just the Beginning ❯ Revelation ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2: Revelation
 
 
“This isn't a war of choice. This is a war of necessity.”
 
 
A synthesized voice rang across the huge convention hall filled with representatives from various nations. Each has a distinctive culture. Each has his own distinguishing language and possesses body features visible only to his race. Though everyone have discrete traits, all have gathered with one purpose, to discuss and perhaps try to hinder the irrefutable growing number of missing people all over the world. These said victims are feared to be killed but the primary motive behind the crime hasn't been identified.
 
 
“How are we supposed to help you in this matter, L?” He was dressed in black and sounded Russian. “We are fighting with blindfolds here. We don't even have concrete knowledge about whom we are dealing with.”
 
 
“I'm currently doing everything within my reach to gather information and solid evidences on this case. All I ask from you is adequate amount of time.” L clearly replied.
 
 
“How are you going to provide us with such information? The Chinese representative interrupted. “Secret agents around the globe who worked in this case were all assassinated.”
 
 
“Not everyone, one of them survived. But for his protection, other data regarding his face, name and whereabouts will remain classified until further investigation is done.”
 
 
A few men shifted uncomfortably in their seats while the rest had fallen into urgent whispered conversations. However a woman in her thirties, dressed in lawyer clothes caught the attention of the participants as she spoke with eloquence, “The government of United States of America is willing to provide anything necessary to stop this abomination.” She paused while intently staring at the big gothic letter L in the screen, “But in return we expect to receive a progress report about the establishment of your plans.”
 
 
L let the silence fell until another voice talked. “Yes, I agree.” The representative from Italy said. “It's not that I don't believe in your competence as a detective, L. In fact if there is one man in this place we admire and respect, no doubt it's you.” He sat back, “Nevertheless my country doesn't want to be left in the dark then be flabbergasted once we've been informed that a criminal had already been apprehended. Let us into your plans and we'll be sure to help you.”
 
 
L continued nibbling his thumb while looking at the representatives through the monitor of the computer screen. He eyed them inquisitively and felt their desperate need for facts. Ignorance on the subject matter is one thing they will not tolerate, mainly because their citizen's well-being is at stake. But L doesn't want anyone to know and meddle with his game plan. It's troublesome especially when they start questioning him regarding his unusual methods of unveiling the truth or worst if someone leaked his strategies to his enemy at hand. He pressed a button in front of him, “I'm sorry but intelligence and only intelligence is what I can give you. Finding ways to puzzle out this crime is my craft.”
 
 
“Very well then,” the British representative responded. “It leaves us to no choice but to go by your rules. The Firm (British Intelligence) will help you in any means possible. It's better that way than to receive no news at all.”
 
 
The group discussion leader stood up and started asking, “All who are in favor of the terms set by L, please sign this contract of agreement we're going to distribute.”
 
 
L spoke yet again, making everyone quiet. “I appreciate the eagerness each one of you is demonstrating to get to the bottom of this felony. I assure you, I will not fail.”
 
 
Another voice was heard, “What do you suggest we do to prepare while waiting for the results of your investigation? I mean, how can we stop this terrorism?” L recognized his matured voice; it was the representative from Japan, Souichiro Yagami.
 
 
“The secret of combating terrorism is simple—don't get terrorized. Keep a clear head and fight back on their terms. That's the only way we're going to win this war. But we can only do that if we take the battle to them with every means at our disposal.” L paused while the crowd anticipates what his next words are. “Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of the biggest buildings, their acts shatter steal. But I am sure that they cannot touch the foundation made by countries fighting side by side nor dent the steal of your determination. Let's win this battle, together.”
 
 
Everyone found themselves smiling. L felt confident after his attempt to uplift their dreary spirits had been successful. As soon as the huge gothic letter representing the legendary detective vanished in a flash, the international meeting was adjourned. The pitch black room where L was became quiet once more. He looked down, cupped his hands around his mug of coffee and felt the heat. He unconsciously stared at it and for a moment he seemed to be lost in his own world, until an excited voice cut him from his thoughts.
 
 
“The girl is finally awake, young man. She's awake!” Jastin beamed. L turned a slight glance at his direction but returned his sight back to his mug. “This is the fourth time I'll inquire this but can't you really do anything about her memory?”
 
 
The jeweled Shinigami gave him an exaggerated frown, “Do I look like a fairy godmother to you? I'm a Death god, lad. I take lives not bring back lost memories. That's definitely out of my job description.”
 
 
“Ah, of course,” his voice was low and unmarred.
 
 
Jastin studied L, trying to search for a flint of emotion that would give away to what he was pondering or feeling at the moment. It was really difficult to find any since L was so reclusive and very much kept to himself. Then he finally perceived, “Hey look on the bright side. This way you can prove if you're really meant for each other.” L raised an eyebrow, urging him to continue.
 
 
“For centuries I've been observing the human realm and cases such as this are not that unusual. If your love for each other is genuine, it'll stand. No matter how many times her memory gets erased. You'll see.” The Shinigami flashed him an encouraging smile, his teeth was made of glittering gold.
 
 
L lazily stood up after shutting down his computer, “Does your job description includes `advising skills on indisputably intricate human emotions?”
 
 
L walked towards the room where she left Feuille to sleep. He slowly reached the cold doorknob but was unable to turn it. Why is he hesitating? Was it fear of rejection? For starters, L wasn't the type who'd exert effort to be appreciated by someone. In fact, he doesn't really pay attention to other people's opinions about him. He is who he is. Anyhow like any other homo sapiens, the need to be cherished and accepted was still hardwired into his core, even though how many times he chose to deny it. To be rejected by somebody you adore, is definitely painful. This is not about you, said a small and truthful voice inside his head. L wondered, anxiously probing his own feelings. Images of mourning people seeking for justice entered his brain. It made him bethink his main priority and yes, it is not about him. Finally, he rotated the doorknob and let himself in.
 
 
Feuille bolted upright from the bed and landed her feet on the floor upon seeing him. Her face was an abstract of mixed emotions of fear, confusion and disbelief. She knew him all right. He was the crazy guy whom she met at the bus. She recalled his pale face as he claimed that he is L, the renowned detective who was popularized by a fictional story known to her as Death Note. Not that she consider anything he says or does she? Feuille also recalled seeing a horrifying creature whose body was covered in precious gems. He chanted words unknown to her then everything went blurry.
 
 
The two continued staring at each other, neither of them speaking a word. The silence was overbearing that Feuille was afraid that it would engulf her entirely. After a moment or two, L began talking.
 
 
“Miss Feuille Myers, I'm pleased to have made your acquaintance.”
 
 
He had shoved his hands inside the pockets of his tacky jeans then walked languidly towards Feuille, his back was hunched. She took two steps backward as L approached her.
 
 
“As I have stated before, I am L.”
 
 
“I don't believe in you. Just bring me home already.”
 
 
“It's not my concern if you believe me or not.” L said, his voice low and husky. “I had to admit, using the influence of media had been successful to relay the series of events you ought to know.”
 
 
“I'm not getting any of this.”
 
 
 
 
“Memories of your real identity had been taken away.” His expression was serious. “Honestly, I wouldn't be bothering my self with all the trouble to go after you if it wasn't only for something very important you have.”
 
 
“I will not waste my time hearing your crap. And that thing you're looking for, it's not with me mister. Now stop with all your stupid lies and let me go.'
 
 
“It seems to me that you're still unprepared to heed the truth. I understand—“
 
 
“You don't understand. Please, take me home. I'm no use to you.”
 
 
L showed her a faint smile and pointed to a glass table near the bed as if Feuille didn't say anything. ”Please help yourself with all the materials I prepared to aid you in remembering who you really are.” Feuille saw the envelopes and folders pilled neatly on the table.
 
 
“I'm really sorry but you must stay here until our investigation is completed, Miss Myers.”
 
 
“Stay here? How long must I stay here? And who told you that you could just bring me to this place without my approval?” She angrily responded, her tone was increasing with every word. “I want to go home!”
 
 
L stared at her, his eyes round and sincere. “I can't let you go back because you have a purpose to serve. Help us solve a murder—no a genocide.” It wasn't a command but a petition. “Your wits and skills are considered necessary, so until then you will stay here.”
 
 
Feuille looked at L as if he'd knifed her. “You can't do that.”
 
 
“I've said what I need to say. Tell me when you're ready to know the truth from me.” L turned his back from her, “Well I must be getting along. Good day Ms. Myers.” Without looking at her, L swept from the room.
 
 
L's abrupt departure took Feuille completely by surprise. She remained standing where she was struggling with her feeling of shock and dismay. My real identity, huh. Her green eyes landed on the object pilled neatly on the table. She made her way to it and took the first folder her hand had touched. It contains a record where background education, accomplishments and other kind of facts can be seen. It didn't interest her so she turned her sight to the picture on the upper right corner of the paper. “Oh my gosh.” She clapped her hands to her mouth. The lady in the photograph look a lot like her but seemed to be photoshopped to look older. What's more? It belongs to someone with a name: Feuille Samantha Myers.
 
 
Feuille immediately went through every bit of information she can get from the profile. It can be seen in the work history that she once served as an FBI Agent who works in forensics. Then she got transferred to CIA where her expertise lies on combating terrorism. Her eyes jumped from one place to another. According to the file, the age before she started missing was twenty-four then she got petrified when she came across the words, status: deceased.
 
 
A loud knock was heard then the door swung open. An old man in black coat and necktie entered the room, carefully pushing a serving cart full of assorted food. The scent of air immediately had the aroma of melted cheese. She wandered through the variety of meal and there was Brie en Croute, Cheese Souffle, Greek Cheese Pie, Cheese Tortillas, Bake Macaroni, Lasagna; name anything with coagulated milk it's there. Feuille felt her mouth watered but tried not to look tempted by delectable cuisines in front of her. Feuille was now looking at the thick crust pizza yet the sight of it made her wallow in nuisance more because it gravely reminded her of her friends.
 
 
“Good morning, Miss Myers. Good to see you again and welcome back.” The old man grinned broadly. “You'll never satisfy your hunger if your keep staring at them. You may eat anything you like, it's all yours.”
 
 
Judging from his demeanor, Feuille had an idea who the new stranger was. She felt a strong urge in her chest to plead to this man for her freedom. Then again to persuade L's right hand to her side is next thing to impossible still she tried anyway, “Can I do anything to convince you to let me go, Mr. Watari?” asked Feuille weakly.
 
 
Watari had a sympathizing look in his face. “None young lady, I apologize.” His tone was polite. “If you need anything though, I am just outside.” He turned on his heel and walked to the door, seized the doorknob and paused. “The Feuille I knew before was a lover of white lilies. She is obsessed with cheese and fond of anything green. She is restricted to eat fish because of skin asthma and she abhors astrology.”
 
 
Surprisingly, everything he had enumerated was incredibly accurate. Those were too personal for someone to know that's why Feuille was left flabbergasted. She was thinking if those were written in her profile.
 
 
“And the Feuille I knew…,” Watari resumed, “…will be able to discern the truth and will have the aptitude to decide. Not because of her analytical thinking but because of her heart. Try listening young lady, what does your heart tells you?”
 
 
Feuille's pulse was beating fast. She felt sick, she was uncertain of what she feels or how to confess it.
 
 
She sighed, “My mind thinks this is really crazy yet my heart says that everything L had revealed to me since the beginning was… true.”
 
 
She looked down at her feet. Feuille wanted to stare back at Watari but found that it was really much easier to keep examining her mismatched socks. Few seconds passed, a gentle tapped reached her shoulder. A tender smile crept to the old man's face, “Again if you need anything, apart from going back to your place, I'm just outside.”
 
 
There is something in Watari that causes people to be comfortable just having his presence. His words gave Feuille an assurance that she is in reliable hands and has nothing to fret about. Was it only because of the scrumptious cheese-filled foods he brought? She doesn't think so.
 
 
“I think I am prepared, sir.” Feuille's lip curled up, “I want to hear the actual story behind all of this. I need the truth.”
 
 
Watari nodded in response. Then Feuille turned away with a shy smile, “But let me have a taste first of these tasty fares. My stomach is speaking to me too and it's grumbling.”
 
 
-o0oo000oo0o-
 
 
The place was murky and she is all alone.
 
 
When Watari greeted her good morning, she was expecting to see a sunlight beaming through the window when she got out of her room. She didn't know that by saying morning he means dawn. There's something creepy about the kitchen nonetheless Feuille didn't bother switching the lights on. She won't stay long anyway; she just needs to do this one thing she had thought of. Feuille started searching for the things she needed and after everything had been prepared, she readied herself for pain. Feuille dipped a finger in a cup of boiling water. As soon as she felt it was hot she came up with a conclusion. She was not dreaming. Feuille laughed inwardly thinking that her friends will surely make fun of her once they learned anything about this crazy deed. She's also sure she doesn't need a psychiatrist. It's just that desperate times call for desperate measures.
 
 
Suddenly the dark room was illuminated and the kitchen's superior design was unveiled. Watari entered and was surprised to see the lady near the sink, “How was the food Miss Myers? Did it pass your taste?”
 
 
“Are you kidding? Everything was fabulous. I've only seen those stuffs in cookbooks, I never really eaten anything that delicious before. Thank you.” She sheepishly smiled as she tried to conceal the cup of hot water.
 
 
“I will assure you young lady. You're not engaged in any fantasy or fictitious imagination. Hurting yourself is not really necessary.” Watari stated with a soft chuckle as he handed Feuille a warm glass of milk. “So what do you yearn to know?”
 
 
Feuille took a seat perpendicular to Watari, “L said I had a purpose to fulfill, what does that mean? And how come you and L exist?”
 
 
“You are here because you have the key to the solution to the dilemma we are currently facing. Men, women and children went mysteriously missing since February last year. They don't just number by the tens, they number by the thousands. All went missing in a blink of an eye. Reports have it that there were no bodies recovered. The only object found was a video of people being killed and thrown somewhere. The investigation was canceled by the ICPO after having zero evidence regarding the said abduction. Yet according to reliable sources, you had already investigated about this and found out what indeed was taking place but something diverted you from your undercover work… or someone...”
 
 
“Who was it?” she eyed him curiously.
 
 
“L and I exist because we really exist,” the man with eyeglasses said to avert the topic Feuille just opened. “The world you were living in is what we assume is a parallel dimension. In simpler terms, you are here now in what you call the world of fiction. It's still a mystery for us as to why two worlds exist. He then shifted the topic, “Several types of media had been released in your world so you wouldn't be unaware of the things that transpired in the life you once lived. You and you're friends refer to it as Death Note.”
 
 
“Huh?” She inquired trying hard to consume all the things she still thought were absurd.
 
 
“Then if I was truly once part of this world, who am I? Misa? Naomi? Light's mother? Rem?”
 
 
“You were not included in the story. That was one of the rules.” Watari calmly said.
 
 
“Rule you said. But how were you able to pull all of these?”
 
 
“Mainly because of his help.” He replied, moving his eyes to the left.
 
 
A terrifying creature stood beside Watari. Feuille had almost fallen off her chair in fright when a jeweled shinigami abruptly appeared.
 
 
“I am Armonia Jastin Beyondllemason,” he introduced. “I was the death god you summoned one year ago.”
 
 
Feuille still had her eyes fixed on him. He was scary beyond words. He's like a resurrected mummy in horror movies encrusted with precious stones. The sight of him triggers goose bumps. He's one heck of a being you wish not to encounter in nightmares. She gulped, “Why do I have to summon him?
 
 
“Because as you have learned, L had an unexpected demise during the peak of his hunt for Kira. Both of us were killed but you didn't allow it to take place. Instead, you ventured to the world of shinigami to turn the hands of fate. You challenged the one who has the Eraser to nullify earlier writings on the Death Note.”
 
 
That is so far fetch. Feuille thought while looking intently at her milk. She's thankful however that Jastin was present to provide her a physical proof. She look up, “Were you the shinigami I challenged?”
 
 
“Oh no dear, I only helped you go to the borders of our beautiful world.” There was a hint of sarcasm in his voice.
 
 
Watari proceeded with his narration, “You challenge the king of death gods in gamble of your soul. Luckily you won against him and revived L back to life. Yet you pleaded for the three other souls to be resurrected—Light Yagami, Misa Amane and me, Quillish Wammy. And that my lady, ignited the conflict.
 
 
 
“Well for you L and you perhaps I can do that. But for the two Kira, I'm not that insane.” Feuille objected, still drowned with hesitation to believe Watari's story.
 
 
He reasoned out, “During the time Light and Misa lost their memories of the Death Note, an unlikely friendship emerged between the four of you. You perceived that Light did have a heart, but was tainted with evil after being possessed by evil spirits dwelling inside the cursed notebook.”
 
 
“Possession of evil spirits is the worst alibi I've ever heard. I don't buy it.” Feuille stated with dignity as she recalled Light's evil grins as he enjoys the pleasure of his `divine retribution'.
 
 
“Believe me young lady,” Watari said, “in fact you yearned that if providence would allow it, you would just meet one another in different circumstances. Rivals you labeled yourselves but deep inside you considered one another as friends”.
 
 
“Let me breath for a while sir,” said Feuille while taking a sip from her glass of milk. “I see. How did I end up then in what you refer to as a parallel dimension?”
 
 
Watari pushed the eyeglasses in his nose bridge, “You valiantly challenged the Shinigami King yet again, but luck didn't side you that time. You lost, but you offered your soul in exchange for all the four souls. The king was said to be amused by your action—“
 
 
“Actually,” Jastin interjected, “he was mesmerized by your beauty and charm so he didn't agree with the penalty you proposed. Instead, he placed you in the other world to separate you from someone very important to you. Think he's jealous. That old shinigami.”
 
 
“I don't understand. Why would he be jealous? Anyway how were you able to get in touch with me again?” Feuille asked, her orbs wide and curious.
 
 
“L, upon knowing all these decided to offer his whole being to the Death God as a slave,” the old man answered, staring blankly at the tea before him.
 
 
“A… slave?” Feuille wanted to be sure that she heard the words right.
 
 
“Precisely. He endured so many sufferings before he gained the shinigami king's trust and outwitted him so he could have you back. “He became a slave? Endured suffering? For me? I'm just his agent.” Feuille uttered in broken sentences.
 
 
Immediately Watari responded, “Erroneous Feuille. L did that because he is not just your superior, he is your boyfriend.”
 
 
Feuille choked and slopped milk down herself.