Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Now That I Know (One Shot LXLight) ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7
 
A/N: So….this is kind of strange, I guess, I had a-little trouble figuring out who I could make the next Kira. This came out of nowhere. It was just the best idea I had.
 
The musty smell of the wet night air closed in around him, stealing his breath. His footsteps made a squishing sound as he took slow steps through the wet mud beneath his feet. Deep footprints led from where he had started to where he stood. Darkness surrounded him; no stars shone to brighten the night sky. The moon had been hidden by the dismal storm clouds hanging above.
 
Light took another slow step forward glaring through the darkness in search of the one he had come here to meet. “No wonder he chose to meet me here,” he thought silently placing a hand on one of the many metal pillars holding up the large busy bridge. “This would without a doubt be the best place to kill someone. The body probably wouldn't turn up for months, if ever.”
 
A soft chuckled came from the darkness surrounding him; Light turned suddenly hearing slow footsteps moving in his direction. “So you came,” a slightly feminine voice came from a dark figure as it stepped closer to him, “I knew you would.”
 
“If you don't tell me who you are I'm leaving,” Light said taking a step backward. “Do I know you or not?”
 
That soft chuckle came again but louder, “Light.” A bright light suddenly shone out from an object in the figure's hand. The light was moved and directed upward showing the figure's face, “Do you recognize me yet?”
 
Chewing nervously on his tongue Light stared into the person's eyes. Who was she? Light tilted his head slightly; no matter how hard he tried he couldn't remember this face. “I- no, I don't. How exactly do you know me?” Taking a slow step backward Light placed a hand on the next metal pillar. If this was a trap he had stepped right into it.
 
This time the person gave a loud laugh leaning forward slightly, “Oh, that's right, you wouldn't remember me. I've never actually met you,” stepping forward slightly and directing the bright light so that it showed the person's entire upper body the voice came again, “but Misa's told me all about you, Mr. Perfect.”
 
“Misa?” Light gasped stepping backward, “So, who are you, one of Misa's friends?”
 
“Oh, I'm much more than that,” the girl said stepping forward, “I'm the one who made those fake Kira tapes. I was the one who helped Misa carry out all of those killings. I'm the only one who knows who you are and who L is.”
 
Light's eyes widened as his mouth fell open, “What do you mean by that?” he raised his voice slightly keeping in mind that the bystanders on the bridge above would hear him if he raised his voice much higher. “What exactly do you know?”
 
The girl's lips curled into a smirk, “Just what I said,” she laughed tauntingly, “I know your real name, and I know L's.” She reached backward and took a black notebook from behind her back, “And with this I can dispose of you both; I can use this to make my dreams come true.” She let out another loud laugh and stepped forward, “And to think Misa thinks you're a genius. You're a fool, Yagami Light; you came here knowing full and well that this was almost certainly a trap. Well, guess what,” she said stepping forward again, “it is.”
 
Light let out a breath. He was finally coming to realize what a stupid decision he had made in coming here. “This girl,” he thought silently stepping away from her, “she has to have the Shinigami eyes. If she didn't have them she wouldn't know Ryuuzaki's name.” Light took a breath and bit his lip, “I don't even know Ryuuzaki's name.”
 
“So,” she said opening the book and taking a pen from behind her ear. “Are you afraid, Kira? Are you going to beg for mercy?” She let out a soft chuckle and brought the pen down to the open page of the notebook, “I suggest you do it now; if you don't I'll kill you and your precious Ryuuzaki.”
 
“You wouldn't,” Light said stepping slightly forward. This girl, she was actually frightening him.
 
The girl let out yet another laugh and opened her now blazing red eyes, “Just watch me, Yagami Light; watch the magnificent Tsukiko Ume do what you yourself could never do.” Her lips curled into a malevolent smile as she stared in Light's direction, “So, you are afraid. I can see it; you're afraid of me.” She let out a slight chuckle and smiled, “That's good; you should be afraid.
 
“I can take away everything and everyone you love. I can get rid of everyone, your family, your friends, your allies, and especially your precious lover you've been cheating on Misa with.”
 
Light's breath caught in his throat. Was this girl serious? “No,” he tired to convince himself, “she wouldn't. If she's like Rem she only wants Misa's happiness; if she wanted Misa's happiness she wouldn't kill the one Misa loved.”
 
The girl scribbled on the paper, “You think I'm too afraid to kill you?” she whispered as she continued moving the pen over the paper, “I'll show you how `afraid' I am I of using this amazing power I've received from Kira himself. I'll kill someone you know just to show you that I'm nowhere near afraid.” She paused scribbling the final characters onto the paper, “Now, give it a few minutes, Yagami-kun.” She raised her wrist so that the light shone onto it and began counting down the seconds.
 
“No,” Light whispered attempting to step forward; his feet stuck to the muddy ground. He let out a breath, “No,” he raised his voice slightly forcing his feet to move forward. “No,” he nearly screamed through gritted teeth; he had to do something, anything. He would kill her if he had to.
 
Suddenly as the seconds ticked away Light's head snapped up, “The other Death Note,” he thought staring as the girl's smile brightened. “If I can get to the other Death Note I can kill her.” Light bit his lips holding in the laughter, “On the contrary, Tsukiko, you're the fool.”
 
 
“He died yesterday of a heart-attack precisely fifteen minutes after midnight. We have gathered as much information as possible from his parents, but, as you had probably expected, they became very defensive. The only information we were able to gather was that the boy was around eighteen years old, he attended To-Oh University, and he was an ace student whose best friend happened to be Light Yagami.”
 
Ryuuzaki took in a breath as he flipped to the next page of the report. With a nod he turned sideways to look back at Aizawa, “And what information did you get from the police squad covering the case?”
 
Aizawa turned to Soichiro and nodded, “Chief, you asked for information from the police squad, correct?”
 
With a nod Soichiro stood allowing Aizawa to sit on the sofa next to Matsuda. “Well,” Soichiro sighed holding the stack of papers in his hands. He turned to face Ryuuzaki and continued, “The police squad wouldn't give out a lot of the information. I did, however, find out that he was found under the bridge. He was found with no external wounds, and they say that the only possible suspect is Kira.”
 
“But, why would Kira kill a random person?” Ryuuzaki whispered shifting in the seat as he dropped the papers on the cushion beside him, “Now, Light can't be Kira. He wouldn't take a risk like that. Are we looking at the work of the second Kira? No. Even the second Kira wasn't this stupid. Could it be a third Kira?” Ryuuzaki sat up slightly. Neither Kira nor the second Kira had done anything involving an innocent bystander; this was different. “His best friend was Light?” Ryuuzaki thought reaching unconsciously to the nearly empty coffee cup, “At the moment there's only one conclusion I can come to.”
 
“This person, or the Third Kira, is someone who must have some kind of grudge involving Yagami Light,” Ryuuzaki said absently touching the cold handle of the cup, “this is the only conclusion I have at the moment. There's nothing else that makes sense.”
 
Matsuda nodded as he leaned forward, “That's a great find, Ryuuzaki, but since we don't have Light-kun here will this keep happening? If they keep targeting people who know Light wouldn't we be on that list?”
 
With a nod Soichiro took a step forward and brought the papers down to the coffee table. “I apologize,” he whispered reluctantly, “I hope I didn't create any kind of danger for any of you by forcing my son to leave.”
 
Aizawa shook his head slowly, “It wouldn't be your fault anyway, Chief, if this person had a grudge they'd probably do anything to get back at Light-kun whether he was here or not. I don't think that matters to whoever's doing this. They'll get back at the person they're angry with no matter where they are.”
 
“He's right, Yagami-san,” Ryuuzaki said taking the coffee cup into his hand, “that this happened right after your issue with your son is only a coincidence. I believe this would have inevitably happened whether that issue had come about or not.” He lifted the cup to his knees and tightened his grip on it; it was empty.
 
“If you say so,” Soichiro said as he moved to seat himself by Aizawa, “Then, what can we do to find this third Kira? Just from this one case there's nothing we can do. This Kira didn't send tapes to any TV stations like the second Kira.”
 
“True,” Ryuuzaki said holding the cup still in his hand, “but this Kira made an even graver mistake. This person is or was close to Yagami Light or someone close to Yagami Light. Misa-san and her friends, of course, are also suspects along with every friend or enemy Yagami Light has ever had.” Taking a breath Ryuuzaki averted his gaze to the three men sitting on the sofa before him, “Yes, I realize that this leaves us still with many suspects, but this is the best way to narrow it down.”
 
Matsuda nodded and stood quickly, “That's right!” he said loudly, “I believe in you, Ryuuzaki, we'll be able to find the next Kira if we try hard and keep going.”
 
Aizawa raised a hand to his head and let out a sigh, “Matsuda, even in the most crucial moments you still find a way to make everything sound better.”
 
With a nod Ryuuzaki stood from the chair slowly and placed the cup on the table, “Excuse me,” he said slowly as he turned away and took slow steps away from the men on the sofa, “I think I'll go up to my room for a while, if you don't mind.”
 
The three men exchanged concerned glances before turning to the boy, “Go ahead,” Soichiro reassured him softly, “we'll continue searching for information, and let you know first thing. We know you didn't get any sleep last night.”
 
“Thank you,” Ryuuzaki said opening the door slowly and stepping into the hallway. He closed the door behind him and started toward the elevator, “Why, Light?” he whispered staring forward absently, “Why did you let this happen? No, why did I let this happen?”
 
With a sigh Ryuuzaki stepped closer to the elevator and place a hand on the cold metal door. He hadn't used his elevator since it happened. In fact, he had avoided even going down that hallway. “I don't think I can stand this for long,” he said pushing against the door. “If it keeps happening like this I'll really be a shadow, and I won't be able to come back at all.”
 
He let out a breath and pressed the button next to the doors marked with an arrow pointing upward. “And about this case, it all seems to lead back to you. It's like everything I've done these past few days has reminded me of you. I wish I could forget you; at least then I'd be able to save myself from this as well. But, in all reality I don't want to forget you; that would be bad enough in it-self. To forget you would really be a punishment.”
 
As the door opened slowly he took a step inside the warm elevator and wrapped a hand around the metal railing as he fell forward. He would never have guessed that losing Light would cause so much pain. He had lost many people in the past, but for some reason none of them even measured up to Light. No one he knew now measured up to Light.
 
“Well,” Ryuuzaki said pressing the button marked with the highest number, “I guess this is the way things were meant to happen. You'll end up ultimately being caught, and I'll end up alone again.” Slowly the doors closed him into the elevator, “No, I'm already alone.”