Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Now That I Know (One Shot LXLight) ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Umm… I'm not sure what to say about this one. Yeah, it's short (again). I'll try to make the next one longer… I just ran out of ideas…Anyway, I think at the end I actually set up something that I can go by. Sorry, but I doubt this story will end soon. Hopefully I'll still have some readers out there when I do finish it. I promise not to move on until this one is completely finished. Besides, doing this is keeping me obsessed with Death Note, so I'm enjoying it quite a bit. ^_^
 
Chapter 10
 
Light pressed his back against the cold metal wall and glanced around the corner into the darkness beyond it. It would not be easy to break into the building, but maybe there was a way to get inside.
 
“There is no key,” Light whispered reaching up to touch the closed window slightly above his head. Attempting to pry it open he let out a sigh; it was closed tightly and was ultimately locked. “And I couldn't hack the security system from my computer.”
 
Stepping cautiously around the corner Light sidled down the wall keeping both hands pressed against the wall behind him. “Ryuuzaki thought of everything,” he whispered keeping his eyes locked on the closed window at the end of the wall. “Whether I get the Death Note or not,” he thought silently as he drew nearer to the window, “I have to see you again.”
 
Light let out a breath and reached up to touch the window. In the cold glass he could see the reflection of the moon hanging like a Christmas ornament in the sky. Nodding as if to reassure himself Light pushed against the window and gasped feeling it open easily.
 
Pushing the window half-way up Light hesitated. He had walked into one trap, and that alone had gotten his best friend killed. “Maybe this isn't such a good idea,” he whispered, “I don't want someone else getting hurt because of my stupidity.”
 
Biting his lip Light shook his head. This was something he had to do. Grunting slightly he lowered his hands to the cold window pane and pulled himself through the open space into the room.
 
Darkness rested upon every inch of the room. Only the shallow wisp of the wind could be heard from where he stood. He stood motionless planting his feet into the carpet beneath him. He could hear someone moving.
 
“Who's there?” he gasped not daring to move even finger. He stared blankly into the darkness as his eyes slowly began to adjust. There, from the corner of his eye he spotted slight movement. Stepping forward cautiously he turned in the direction from which he had seen it. “Tell me who you are or I'll-.” His voice was stopped midway through the sentence as cold lips collided with his.
 
Searching desperately for a way to get just a glance of who this was Light spun around suddenly holding the person tightly underneath the moonlight. “Ryuuzaki,” that name stuck to his tongue and forced a flicker of a smile to crack the mask he had worn since the day he became Kira. “Why aren't you-?”
 
Ryuuzaki let out a sigh and pulled out of Light's grip, “You're here for the Death Note, right?” he said stepping backward slowly, “Well, I'm here to stop you. I'm one of the few who still believe that you're Kira, and I'm also one of the many who don't want you to be him.
 
“There's no excuse for using the Death Note. It's evil; you of all people should know that. You saw your friend die only two days ago, and yet you still want to use the very thing that killed him. It's wrong. What your friend told you didn't sink in at all did it?” Taking quick shallow breaths he bit his lip; he was close to tears. “I don't understand you,” he whispered, “you can't be this way. You can't be Kira again, because I don't love Kira; I love Light. If Light leaves me I don't know what I'll do. I've never needed anyone like this. Please, if you leave me it's just like killing me.”
 
Light stood stunned. Ryuuzaki had only been open with his emotions once before. He was only this open when he meant every word he said. Looking into the boys glimmering black eyes Light let out a breath. Ryuuzaki couldn't lie. “Is there really no excuse?” he said leaning against the wall, one hand resting upon the window pane. “What if I used it for you? What if I used it only so you wouldn't die?”
 
Ryuuzaki shook his head, “Fighting fire with fire only causes that fire to grow; fighting darkness with darkness only signalizes a pointless end; fighting death with death will cause the end of the world. If you take part in this your efforts are in vain.”
 
“You're not getting it, Ryuuzaki,” he said holding the boy's arms tightly between his hands, “I'm not fighting; I'm trying to save you from getting hurt. I don't want to lose someone else too, especially you. Please, let me use the Death Note to kill the third Kira. Let me take care of you.”
 
Standing motionless Ryuuzaki stared into Light's dark eyes. Use the Death Note…for him?
 
Light let out a breath and moved his hands to Ryuuzaki's shoulders, “Believe me, I only wanted to help you. I don't want to lose you. I know who this Kira is; I'll explain later. But, please, either let me kill her or take her into custody. Otherwise, we'll never get rid of Kira.”
 
Ryuuzaki bit his lip and backed away, “You're a liar,” he whispered moving a hand to the wall by his side, “I can't believe a word you say, Yagami Light.”
 
“You think this is fake?” Light whispered stepping forward slowly, “You think all of this has been a lie? You think everything I feel for you is a lie?” He stepped closer and raised his hands to the boy's cheeks. Stepping even closer he leaned and kissed him almost hesitantly.
 
Letting out a breath Ryuuzaki pulled away from Light and threw a punch in his direction, “I don't trust you; I'll never be able to trust you. Murder is never right, no matter the circumstances.”
 
“Then what about those people who are locked away for unthinkable years in prison? They're only awaiting an inevitable death. How is that not murder? You're still killing people; you're just using a different method.” Light kept his voice down remembering that his father had not returned home; he had to be here.
 
Ryuuzaki bit his lip and stepped backwards, “That's different; those people deserve it.”
 
Light pressed his feet into the carpet unwilling to move, “It's not different, Ryuuzaki,” he said raising his arms to shield his face as the boy threw another punch his way. “If they deserve to die doesn't Kira? Or are your emotions getting in the way again? Is it because you still think I'm Kira? Are you afraid that I'm Kira? Will killing this Kira make you believe that you have to kill me just to be fair? You don't, even if I were Kira I'm not the one doing this. Don't you understand? I love you; I'm trying to help you.”
 
Ryuuzaki stood still repressing every voice that tempted him to apologize. “I-,” he began hesitantly, “I'm sorry, Light. I didn't mean to say those things.” Letting his hand slip underneath the sheet that hung over the side of the bed he took a thin black book into his hand, “If you want the Death Note,” he whispered holding it in Light's direction, “I'll give it to you, but if I do, you have to promise to kill me with it as well.”
 
“Kill you?” Light whispered overwhelmed with shock, “I- I can't do that.”
 
“You have to,” Ryuuzaki whispered. Not a hint of regret or remorse could be seen in his eyes; his words were sincere. “If you use the Death Note to kill someone else you have to kill me with it. If this is the only you I'll be able to know I don't want to be part of this. As long as I'm here Kira will never be caught. Because, I can't bear to see Kira behind bars, nor could I ever watch Kira's executions.” Raising his eyes so that he gazed into Light's he whispered, “Because, you're Kira.”
 
The wind wailed through the open window like the cries of a hungry wolf. Light's eyes quivered subconsciously as he watched Ryuuzaki throw the Death Note to the floor before his feet. “I don't want this,” he thought silently staring down at the black notebook, “I didn't bargain for this. I only wanted to help him; I didn't want him to get hurt even worse in the process.” He licked his lips slowly and glanced up at Ryuuzaki, “The last thing I want to do is hurt you. You know that.”
 
Kicking the Death Note aside Light took slow steps toward the boy and thoughtlessly wrapped his arms around his waist, “I don't need it,” he whispered bringing his head down to Ryuuzaki's shoulder, “all I need is you. We can find a way out of this, I promise. We'll be out of this maze soon. Soon, we'll find the end.”
 
Feeling a touch on his shoulder Light planted a kiss on the boy's neck and smiled, “Is my father here?” he whispered stepping closer, “Is anyone here?”
 
Ryuuzaki nodded against him and answered in a shaky almost uncertain voice, “Your father's here. He's upstairs, on the fifth floor. Everyone else is in their original rooms.” He took a deep uncontrolled breath and bit his lip fearfully feeling the arms around him pull tighter.
 
“Do you want to see how much I care about you?” Light whispered lifting a hand and lacing it tightly in the boy's darks thin hair.
 
Closing his eyes slowly Ryuuzaki let out a breath and replied, “Not if you're leaving me again. If you're leaving, leave now. I don't want to be in your way, and I don't want you to use me either. Unlike Misa-san, I won't be your puppet.”
 
Light pulled away slightly and smiled down at Ryuuzaki, “I wouldn't expect it from you,” he whispered taking his chin between his thumb and index finger. “Unlike what I feel for Misa, I love you with all of my heart. I'd do anything for you, Ryuuzaki. Haven't I shown that already?”
 
Nodding Ryuuzaki glanced toward the door and smiled inwardly remembering that he had locked it tightly the moment he walked in. “Promise me,” he whispered reluctantly closing his eyes slightly as if attempting to hide his face, “promise you won't leave again, no matter what your father says. If you leave I want to be with you. All my life I've never had anyone; I'm tired of being a shadow, of being alone. Please, don't leave me again.”
 
“Never,” Light whispered kissing the boy's nose softly, “I'll never leave you. If I break that promise you can kill me with your own hands.” Seeing a flicker of a smile appear on Ryuuzaki's lips Light leaned forward almost instinctively and kissed his lips as gently as possible. This was the only way.
 
Ryuuzaki let out a breath as Light gently forced him onto the bed. This wouldn't mean anything to Light. He knew that, this would just be another step down the road of ultimate deception. There was nothing they could do; this maze was never-ending. With both of them alive Kira would never be caught. To reach the end, something had to change. Something important had to be eliminated from the equation completely, the Death Note.