Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Beyond The Other Side ❯ First Configuration, Part 1 of 2 ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Author's Notes: This is my second time posting one of my stories outside FanFiction.Net so if you like the first configuration of this story and want to find more, just go to FanFiction.Net and hit up Epsilon. I'm the guy with 24 stories.

Disclaimers: Digimon belongs to Fox, Saban and whoever else owns it. Don't sue!!!

Beyond The Other Side - First Configuration (Part 1 of 2)

"Walk all over him, Renamon." The fox Digimon got into a battle stance. Vilemon smirked and charged at full speed. Rika took a card out of her pouch. "Digi Modify!!! Clone Activate!!!" Renamon vanished and appeared behind Vilemon. "Diamond Storm!!" Hundreds of little diamonds hit Vilemon, vaporizing it into data.

Takato stared in horror. "You killed a Digimon..." Henry was too stunned to speak. Before he could ask Rika why she did what she did, Renamon gave a surprised yelp. "There's something wrong with Vilemon's data!!" A light surrounded the group and they vanished without a trace.

"Takato, wake up! Come on!!" The boy slowly opened his eyes. "Man, that was intense!! What did happen?" Henry look around. "From the surroundings, I can conclude that we are in the digital world." Takato sprang up as soon as he heard the words 'digital world'. "You're kidding, right? We are actually in the digital world?!? This is so cool!!!"

Terriermon piped up. "It would be more cool if we didn't have that rude girl along with us. Right now, she's off by the river, cursing about what happened and that she's stuck with...what was that word, Henry?" Henry smiled. "Goggleheads. But that would have to apply more to Takato than me."

"Is Takatomon alright?" Takato sighed. "It's back to Takatomon huh, Guilmon." The red dinosaur Digimon scratched its head. "I've always called you Takatomon. You told me that was your name."

"Of all the stupid..."

"Calm down, Rika."

"Everything was going fine until those two wannabe tamers showed up!! Now I'm stuck here with idiots for company!!"

Renamon raised an eyebrow. Rika noticed the glare she was receiving from her partner. "You excluded." An idea dawned on Rika. "Since this is the digital world, this place must be filled with Digimon...who are probably willing to battle. This may be an opportunity for you to get enough experience and data to digivolve. Let's go, Renamon."

"Wait!!!" Rika whirled around. "What do you want?" she snapped. Takato raised his hands in defense. "Henry says it would be a better idea to stick together. We could watch each other's backs and stuff like that."

"Renamon doesn't need you and neither do I," said Rika in an icy tone. Henry walked up with Terriermon perched on his head. "You aren't exactly the most polite person in the world. But we should work together and combine our resources. Eventually, you will run into a situation in which the Modify cards you have won't work. With me and Takato with you, the three of us has a better selection of Modify cards."

'Damn...they're right.' Rika clenched her fists. "Fine. But as soon as we get back home, our alliance is terminated." Takato glared at Henry. "Are you sure this is wise? I frankly wouldn't mind her going off alone." The boy nodded. "I know what you mean. But with this alliance, we can make sure she doesn't do anything stupid." "Takatomon, what is that over there?" Takato looked at where Guilmon was pointing at. "I don't believe it...Digitamamon's diner!"

"We're your friends!!" Henry went pale. "That sounded like Mimi...Takato, do you realize what this means?" The boy blinked in confusion. Henry sighed before continuing. "This digital world is set inside the television show!! And if I remember my episodes correctly, this is when the Digiegg of Sincerity is given to Yolei!" Takato gulped. "What should we do?"

"We shouldn't do anything to interfere with the Digimon storyline. It's just like on that weird show...I forgot what it was but they had a law not to interfere with the lives of other civilizations that have no clue about them. We have to be careful and not let anyone see us. Who knows how badly the storyline can be damaged." Terriermon poked Henry to get his attention. "Too late." The boys looked up to see Rika and Renamon, engaged in battle against Digitamamon.

"Who is she?" Cody stuttered out. "I don't know but I guess she's one of us," said Kari. Flamedramon eyed the Digimon and the girl suspiciously. "I don't recognize her Digimon." "Who cares? We could always use another member of the team to help fight the Digimon Emperor," stated Davis.

"Enough!! Time to end this, Renamon!!!" Rika took her Digivice and a Modify card. TK stared in confusion. "What is she doing?" "Digi Modify!!! Agumon's Frozen Wind Activate!!" The Digidestined gave a start. The same thought ran through their minds. 'What does Agumon have to do with this?!' Renamon leaped just above Digitamamon. Before he could fire a Nightmare Syndrome, Renamon had already frozen him with the frozen wind.

"Finish this, Renamon." Takato and Henry were running to try and stop her but by the time they got there, Renamon was downloading Digitamamon's data and the dark spiral was destroyed. Takato looked at the shocked faces of the Digidestined. "This ain't good. What do we do now?!" Rika snorted. "We leave. There's nothing to do here."

"Thanks to you, they are going to have a tougher time battling with the Emperor. Things may not turn out as shown," said Henry gravely. "You watch too much TV." "Why?!?" Rika turned to face a broken down Mimi. "Why did you destroy him?!? If you just destroyed the spiral, he would have become normal again!!! But you killed him!!!"

<You killed a Digimon...>

"Digimon are nothing more than data. And if you don't have the courage to do what it takes to stop evil, you shouldn't be in the digital world at all." With that said, Rika walked away from the battlescene with Renamon behind her. Guilmon moved closer to Takato. "What now, Takatomon?" Takato turned to Henry for an answer. "We better follow Rika and make sure she doesn't cause anymore damage. As for the Digidestined...I don't know." They decided to catch up to Rika before she vanishes from their sight.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"Who are those guys?" Cody swung a kendo sword in anger. "They can't be Digidestined!! Not after destroying a Digimon in cold blood!!" Yolei leaned on her chair. "They did fight one of Ken's slaves..." The computer room remained silent for a while, save for the chewing noises made by the Digimon munching on snacks.

"Well...perhaps their experiences with the digital world had not been too nice. Maybe in order to survive, they had to destroy Digimon. I can kind of understand that," said TK wearily. Kari gave a small sigh. "We should try and show them that there are other ways to defeat evil without killing. We have to try to get through to them."

Izzy kept typing on the computer. "What about the cards? You said the girl scanned a card in her Digivice and her Digimon changed to learn the frozen wind technique." TK narrowed his eyebrows. "Did Tentomon and the others ask Agumon about that move?"

"From what I heard, it depends on the conditions when the Koromon digivolve. In most normal cases, the attack should be pepper breath. However, there have been some cases in which Koromon have lived in cold climates. Thus, when they digivolve into Agumon, they obtain the frozen wind attack. I wonder if those cards have special data that when scanned through the Digivice, the Digimon are given bonus attributes." Davis pretended like he understood what Izzy had just said. "So now, we have to deal with Ken and these other...uh...kids."

"Biyomon and Tentomon have agreed to keep one eye on Ken and the other on the new kids. Until we know a bit more about them, I would advise extreme caution when you enter the digital world. Things are going to get crazier with the Digimon Emperor and the new kids," warned Izzy. The others nodded. "Okay, break time's over! Let's go find that Digiegg!!"

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"Who are those new kids?!? Where did they come from?! I want some answers NOW!!!" Wormmon waved his tiny arms to try to calm down the Digimon Emperor. "We're doing the best we can, master. But-"

"But nothing!!! They are an unpredictable variable in my equation!! A variable that must be erased!! Once you find them, inform me at once!! I would like to see what they can do...and if their Digimon would make good slaves!" Doors in the Digimon Emperor's base opened, revealing armies of Tyrannomon, Darktyrannomon, Frigimon, Meramon and Mekanorimon. They all started to search for the tamers.

The Digimon Emperor forced himself to calm down a bit. "Let's see what Digimon they have. There may be some interesting qualities that I can borrow for my ultimate creation." He pressed a button on a console and resumed working on his project.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"The thing that's bugging me is why we got sent here thanks to Vilemon's data!" Henry opened his eyes after thinking up his theory. "It was the third last episode of season 1 of Digimon. The battle between Piedmon, the last Dark Master and the Digidestined. He summoned up an army of Vilemon to fight but I assume that some escaped. After all, the enemy had six Ultimates and two Megas. Perhaps the one we fought was one of Piedmon's soldiers. When Rika destroyed Vilemon, his data must have sent some sort of feedback loop to the digital world and opened a gateway!" A tiny sweatdrop appeared on Takato's head. "Man, you do watch too much TV!"

Terriermon yawned. "Do you even know what you're saying?" Henry gave an embarrassed blush. "Not totally...I just thought of something. We should try using our Digivices on the televisions in the digital world. You know how the D3s opened digital gateways between this world and their real world? Maybe it'll do the same for us, except we would be going to our world!"

"That's the best idea I've heard all day. Let's get this over with." Rika started walking towards one of the televisions with Renamon behind her. The boys simultaneously sighed before following. They held up their Digivices to the TV. It started glowing. Then they were all sucked in and the TV spat out the Digidestined. Davis blinked. "Was it me or did I just see those new kids go through the gateway? I could have sworn they were underneath us..." Veemon shrugged. "I didn't see anything." Yolei gave a smug grin. "Those goggles must be cutting off the supply of oxygen to your brain."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"You must be the new kids!!!" The three tamers looked to see a startled red-haired boy. Henry gasped. "Izzy!! So we aren't home!!" "So much for that theory," growled Rika. "Let's get out of here!" Renamon lifted Rika and leapt out of the window. Guilmon carried Takato on his back and jumped down as well.

"How do you know about me? What is your connection to the digital world?" Izzy demanded. Henry bit his lip. "I can't tell you anything." Takato noticed that Henry would need a little extra help since Terriermon is a bit small for this sort of thing. "Digi Modify! Hyperwing Activate!!" Guilmon grew wings on his back. "Go and get Henry and Terriermon, Guilmon!"

"OK, Takatomon." The dinosaur took off to the second floor of the school. Terriermon jumped and landed on his head while Henry had to hold on tightly against his neck. After they landed safely, the tamers ran off with their Digimon.

Izzy leaned out to see the kids run away. 'What is their connection with the digital world? How do they know about me? What do they know? I have to get a message to the others.' He typed a message and sent it to the D terminals before dashing off to make some phone calls.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"Which way did they go?" Izzy had to look outside the window to remember where he saw them run off. "When they got to the gates, they made a left turn." TK nodded. "We better split up and look for them. Davis, you cover the central area of the city. Yolei and Cody will take the east side while me and Kari will take the west side." Izzy started to speak. "Hey-"

"Why do you get to go with Kari?" Davis whined. "There's no time for that now, Davis! We have to find them before they start to do something crazy," stated Kari. TK continued issuing orders. "As soon as you see them, contact the others immediately. Do not confront them until everybody else has arrived. We don't know what other tricks they have up their sleeve. I also want every in-training Digimon to turn into their rookie forms so that you can armor-digivolve if things get intense."

"Right!!" The three in-training Digimon concentrated their energy. "Poromon digivolved to...Hawkmon!" "Upamon digivolved to...Armadillomon!" "Demiveemon digivolved to...Veemon!" Izzy tried to speak again. "Guys-" "If things start to turn ugly, we can spring Shurimon on them and take them by surprise!! They probably don't know about him yet!"

"Sure, Yolei. Just keep bragging about that Digiegg." Yolei turned to give Davis the evil eye. "Like you didn't brag yourself when you got that Digiegg of Friendship." Cody cleared his throat. "That's enough, we have work to do!" "Wait a min-" The kids had already left. Izzy sighed and decided to tell his theory at another meeting.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Takato looked up at the fiery display in the sky when the sun started to set. "It's getting dark. We should find a place to camp out for the night. Besides I'm getting tired from carrying Guilmon." Henry nodded. "We better find a place that shouldn't be out in the open. Otherwise, the Digidestined may find us." Rika remained silent.

It was fairly easy to cover for their Digimon. Renamon remained hidden while Terriermon pretended to be a stuffed animal. For Guilmon, the costume idea wouldn't work since nobody had any idea about Digimon except for the Heighten View Terrace attacks. So he had to pretend he was a grand prize Takato won at a carnival.

They passed by an electronics store where a news reporter was broadcasting the disappearance of boy genius Ken Ichijoji. It then showed an emotional scene with his parents crying. Takato stopped at the television. "Henry...we have to find a way to get home. I don't want to make my parents worry."

The other boy stopped and noticed Ken's parents. "I know what you mean." Rika growled silently at their weakness. But when she looked at that screen, she could have sworn she saw her mother and grandmother crying instead of Ken's parents.

For a moment, she was stunned. How could they miss her? She wasn't exactly the nicest child on the block. There were probably a dozen other kids who could appreciate them more. "Hey!" She looked up to see Henry. "We know what you're going through. If you want, we can talk about it."

Her face hardened. "Just leave me alone." Takato sighed. No matter what they tried, they just couldn't get through to her. Then he saw a small white blur out of the corner of his eye. "Did you see that? I think it looked like Calumon!!" Rika blinked. "Calumon?" "Yeah, the little white Digimon that doesn't appear to want a tamer! I think I saw him go into that building over there!"

"You're insane." Takato ignored Rika's comment. "We should try and find him. Who knows what damage he may cause by trying to have fun!" Henry nodded. "Yeah. He may also contain some sort of key that may help us get back." Both boys started to run towards the building when they noticed that Rika was still standing there. "Coming? If you don't feel comfortable going into that abandoned warehouse, we'll understand," said Henry with a small grin.

'I don't know who's the bigger fool: Takato for seeing an illusion, Henry for believing him or me for not ditching these morons!!' Rika snapped out of her thoughts. "A tamer doesn't run away from any danger. Let's go." When she was out of hearing range, Takato leaned in to whisper something to Henry. "How did you know what to say to make her follow us?" Henry tapped his index finger on his nose knowingly. "She's one of those warrior types who doesn't refuse a battle."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"What took you two so long?!" Cody and Yolei both raised a finger to quiet Davis. "For your information, it took only five minutes. TK and Kari will take a bit longer since they're on the other side." Davis wiped his mouth. "Yeah, whatever. Now that we got them, we should go in there and take them by surprise! Ready, Veemon?" The little Digimon nodded energetically. "Digi Armor..."

"Are you nuts?!? We don't know what to expect!! At least with TK and Kari, we outnumber them!" "Look, Yolei, this may be our only chance to confront them. If we don't stop them here and now, then there may never be another chance!" Hawkmon gave a small whistle to calm everybody down. "From what I remember back at the diner, only the female and her Digimon showed signs of aggression and that was towards the enemy." Armadillomon turned to Hawkmon. "So what does that mean?"

"This could be a huge misunderstanding. Yes, we must confront them but we should talk to them instead of fighting." Cody gave a small smile. "That's right. Plus this will buy a little more time. If a fight starts, then reinforcements won't be too far behind." Davis pouted. "Talk to those kids?" A sly smile crept up to Yolei's lips. "I'm sure that Kari would be impressed if you were able to talk those kids into joining us." Davis straightened up. "Talking, it is!"

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"This search is meaningless," stated Rika. Henry sighed. "Maybe you're right." Terriermon patted Henry's head. "Henry! Momentai!!" "Hey, you!!" The tamers whirled to see Cody, Yolei and Davis at the entrance. "Renamon, party time." The fox Digimon appeared beside Rika. "And we're the entertainment."

"Whoa!! We just want to talk!" Henry came up to where Rika was standing. "Let's hear them out. So what's on your minds?" Davis scratched his head. "Uh...well..." Rika smirked. "You say that you want to talk but when you get the chance, all you do is stutter! I wonder what they were thinking when they selected you to be a protector of the digital world!"

Before Davis could retort, Cody spoke up. "What is your connection with the digital world? What are you doing here?" "It was an-" Takato clamped a hand over Guilmon's mouth. During their outing in the city, Henry had lectured them about how important it was that they don't tell anyone anything about themselves or their world.

"Why won't you give us any answers?" Takato started to speak. "We can't-" "-because we know things about the digital world that you amateurs could never think of!" finished Rika. Davis was really starting to get angry. "Try us!!" Rika snorted. "You still wouldn't get it if we drew big diagrams and explained it to you step by step. Now do you want to talk or do you want to fight?" "Rika, what are you doing?!? You can't destroy them!!" She smiled coldly at Henry. "I won't destroy them. Just beat them up to a pulp."

"To the point where they are paralyzed for life? That's just as bad," said Terriermon. "Looks like diplomacy is dead. I suppose that if we're going to find any answers, we have to fight," said Cody. He took out his D3.

"DIGI ARMOR ENERGIZE!!"

"Veemon armor-digivolved to...Flamedramon, the Fire of Courage!!"
"Hawkmon armor-digivolved to...Shurimon, the Samurai of Sincerity!!"
"Armadillomon armor-digivolved to...Digmon, the Drill of Power!!"

Henry sighed. "Looks like we have to back her up." Takato groaned. "Just great. We have to watch the back of a battle-thirsty maniac." Rika ignored that comment as Renamon dodged Flamedramon's Fire Rocket. Shurimon aimed a Double Star at Terriermon. Henry grabbed a card. "Digi Modify!! Speed Activate!!" Terriermon jumped on the vine that connected the star. He quickly ran up to Shurimon. "Terrier Tornado!!"

"Rock Cracking!!" The drill Digimon cracked the ground and it was heading towards Guilmon. "Digi Modify!! Hyperwing Activate!!" Guilmon flew up to safety. "Pyro Sphere!!" Digmon dodged it and aimed a Gold Rush at Guilmon.

Flamedramon leapt into the air for his Fire Rocket Charge attack. Rika pulled out a card and was about to slide it through her Digivice when a little Digimon came into view. "Wow!! This is way better than Hide and Seek!!" "What the-?" Davis had no time to finish his sentence when Flamedramon started diving down. "CALUMON!!!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

"CALUMON!!!" Henry saw that Shurimon was dizzy thanks to the Terrier Tornado in his face. "Terriermon, get Calumon out of the way!!" The Digimon sprinted off to the battle area where Renamon was still holding her ground. Henry turned to Rika. "Rika, you have to hold Flamedramon until we get Calumon to safety!!"

She gritted her teeth. 'Okay, I have two choices. One is to ignore the kid, do what any self-respecting warrior and digital tactical genius would do and order their Digimon to dodge and counterattack when the enemy is in a bad position, especially after hitting an innocent target.' She looked at the diving Flamedramon and turned her gaze to the happy, little Digimon. 'Or use a Modify card to hold off the enemy while an innocent is rushed to safety...sometimes I disgust even myself.' "Renamon, use the frozen wind to stall Flamedramon while they get Calumon out of here!"

The fox Digimon was slightly stunned at her tamer's decision but nodded. "Digi Modify!! Agumon's Frozen Wind Activate!!!" Renamon leapt to face Flamedramon and fired a frozen wind at him. He started to slow down and eventually the two were at a stalemate. Terriermon used this to push Calumon out of the way and to safety. "Do you want to get killed or something?" asked the rabbit-eared Digimon.

"Terriermon!! Watch out!!!" He looked up thanks to Henry's warning to see Digmon's Gold Rush coming straight at him since it missed Guilmon. Henry's Digivice started to glow. "No...not again..." Yolei gave a startled yelp. "Is he...digivolving?" Cody looked at Henry. "Why would he not want his Digimon to digivolve?"

DIGIVOLUTION..... "Terriermon digivolved to...Gargomon!!!!!"

The attack was deflected thanks to a few blasts from Gargomon. "Don't start firing like crazy!!" Gargomon stared at Henry with a curious look. "I'm not crazy. I only fired to deflect those attacks." A look of relief came across Henry's face. "That's good." Rika stared in shock. 'This time he's in control!! I have to know the digivolution secret!'

"Come on, Shurimon! You have to get up!!" The ninja Digimon tried to shake the stars out but another blow hit him as Gargomon sent him flying outside. An explosion rocked the building as Renamon and Flamedramon are sent to the ground. They both got up, ready for more. Henry shouted at Takato. "I need the Training Grip card!!" Takato tossed the card to Henry. "Digi Modify!! Training Grip Activate!"

The grips appeared on Gargomon's ears. With one mighty push, he tossed them at Flamedramon, who became too tangled up to fight. "Hey, no fair!! You got those cards!!" yelled Davis. "Guilmon, let's disable Digmon with one good blast!!" Takato flipped out a card. "Digi Modify! Power Activate!!" Guilmon dived towards Digmon, who just got his drills back from the Gold Rush. "Pyro Sphere!!!" Digmon was blasted back. "Digmon!!"

"We should get out of here!!" Rika was about to argue but Henry's tone made it clear that there had been enough fighting. "Renamon, grab the little squirt and move out!!" Renamon moved over to where the energetic Digimon was and grabbed him before he could move. "You're coming with us, little one."

"Takato, Guilmon, get going! Gargomon, fire a burst shot to create enough dust for a smokescreen and then retreat!!" Moments later, the Digidestined were coughing up dust while the tamers escaped with Calumon. TK and Kari arrived just as the smoke cleared and everybody went back to their in-training forms. "I told you to wait, Davis!" Before Davis could argue, the D-terminal started beeping.

"Izzy's calling up a meeting for tomorrow to discuss a new theory about those kids. I say that we should go home and get some rest after tonight," stated Cody. The others gave simultaneous 'mm-hmm's before departing.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"That was pretty fun! We should do it again sometime!" Calumon tried to move but Renamon kept a firm grip on him. Takato bent down to look Calumon right in the eye. "How did you get here?" Calumon scratched his head. "Well, you were fighting that little Digimon...all sorts of flashes happened. Then I was here. I had been having lots of fun, especially with making the baseball diamond! Now it's boring because I can't move and play any games!"

"Why don't you want to have your Digimon digivolve? Sure, it takes some time but the more they digivolve, the more control they gain." Once again, Gargomon is standing on his head to try to go back to being Terriermon. Guilmon was doing the same thing but kept falling over.

Henry glared at Rika. "What is it with you and your obsession about digivolution anyway?" Rika crossed her arms. "Because I want Renamon to be the best. Like me. So why don't you tell me what you did to make your little friend digivolve..." Henry remained silent.

"We should go back to the digital world." Both tamers gave Takato a surprised look about his suggestion. "Think about it. The digital world is Calumon's home. He's probably been looking for a way to get back...after having a lot of fun first."

The little Digimon poked his head up at the word 'fun'. "It'll also be a lot easier for us since we won't have to pretend our Digimon are stuffed animals. For you two, it's not a big deal but when you have to carry a heavy Digimon around, you'll understand. We may also have problems if people found out about Digimon. In the digital world, the only problem we have to deal with is avoiding the Digimon Emperor."

Rika snorted. "Digimon Emperor...he's just an emotional basketcase. He only pretends to be tough and that's through the Dark Spores." Henry raised an eyebrow. "That's probably an area you specialize at. And I thought you aren't the type that watches anime cartoons."

"I don't. My mother makes me spend some time with her. She's trying to understand me so every Thursday, she drags me down to the TV to watch Digimon. Quality mother-daughter time." Takato scratched his head. "Right...where was I? Oh, yeah. It'll also be easier to get by in the digital world. I'm sure we can find the resources we need to survive."

"What about sleeping bags or something? You're not seriously thinking of sleeping on the ground," said Rika. "Why? Do you need a sleeping bag for your beauty sleep or something?" asked Takato in a teasing tone. Rika shot Takato a poisonous glare.

"I'm not planning on becoming a criminal and stealing sleeping bags. Even though we are in another world, there's still law enforcement. We'll just have to rough it. Just like the original Digidestined! Now we just need a computer to open up a digital gate with our Digivices," murmured Henry. "Don't tell me that your new theory is that our Digivices can open the gateway from any computer. For your information, these are not D3's! Let's break in to the computer lab at the school. It should be closed by now."

Henry narrowed his eyes. "So what you're saying, Rika, is that we should go in the same way we came out?" "Precisely. The Digimon Emperor has his guard down by sleeping. We can go in without expecting a dozen Digimon waiting for us. As much as I would like to fight, I'm not in the best condition and neither is Renamon."

Takato grinned. "So you actually admit you're tired..." "Shut up, goggle boy."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"Someone broke into the school!" There was a huge crowd at the door, looking at the destroyed doorknob. Police officers have went inside to survey the damage so classes were cancelled for the day. Davis looked at the broken door. "It has to be those kids that did this!!" Yolei gave a sly smile. "Gee, Sherlock, whatever gave you that clue?"

Izzy came up behind them. "I'll wager that they went into the computer lab to open the gate to the digital world." Cody clenched his fists. "We have to find them before they do any damage to the digital world!"

"I don't think they want to do anything to the digital world. I've been thinking why they've been acting so strangely and trying to ignore every question we throw at them." TK looked at Izzy. "Is this the theory you've been trying to tell us?"

"Yes, TK. When I was running to make some phone calls, our English Language teacher was in the AV room, watching one of his Star Trek tapes. Then it hit me. Once, he invited me to watch a Star Trek episode. He said I would probably like it. To make things easier, he programmed the TV to give Japanese subtitles. The episode was very intriguing but..." "Izzy!!" The boy stopped to see all the glares he was receiving.

"Sorry...there was something called the temporal prime directive that forbids any direct interaction between people of the future and people of the past. If information is given, the future may be changed significantly. My theory is that those kids come from the future." "WHAT?!?!?!?!?"

"Think about it. They obviously have superior Digivices and have cards to aid their Digimon in battle. To be totally honest, they can do a lot more for their Digimon in battle while all we do is provide the Digimon with a way to digivolve. Their rookie Digimon are more powerful than any of ours and they refused to tell us any information that they know. From this information, the most plausible explanation is that they come from an alternate timeline." Kari was the first to shake off the shocked expression that was etched across each face of the Digidestined. "So why did they come here to the past?"

"There are two possibilities. It could have been an accident and they aren't supposed to be here. Or they came back in order to complete a mission. If they are on a mission, then it's likely that the digital world is being taken over by the forces of darkness. It could be the Digimon Emperor or a new force that is simply too much for us to handle." TK swallowed nervously. "So what do we do with those kids?"

"First, we have to find them in the digital world. Hopefully, your D3s can pick up the signals on their Digivices. Once you locate them, we have to try diplomacy. From what I seen, the boys look nice but the girl seems to be the loose cannon." Yolei stroked her chin. "Now that I think about it, she was the one who challenged us to fight in the first place. How the heck did she become a member of the team?!?"

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"According to my data, this area was the last location of those new kids. Airdramon, circle around once more." The Digimon Emperor had been searching the digital world for his unknown variable for the past few hours. Wormmon could see the fatigue setting in his master's eyes.

"You know, master, you should really get some sleep. If you keep going on like this, you won't be alert enough to deal with any problems." The Emperor looked like he was about to hit Wormmon but he dropped his arm. "For once, you came up with a good idea. Airdramon...return to...base..."

In the distance, a light was flashing on and off. Wormmon could barely make it out. "Master, I just saw a weird light." The Emperor didn't respond for a few seconds. All Wormmon could make out was "Deal...with...it.." Wormmon thought about it for a moment and decided that Shogungekomon is the closest unit to the light. After all, the Emperor shouldn't be disturbed with something so minor. And the fact that Shogungekomon can understand how important a good night's sleep is worth.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

'Man, I wish I had Terriermon to stand guard with me. At least he's more talkative than Renamon.' Takato could hear Henry snoring. Calumon was sleeping near Rika. He took out his notebook to work on Guilmon's champion level form. "Let's see...his armor will now be able to withstand the attacks of ultimate level Digimon. He'll have a Pyro Blaster and some Plasma Blades...some hair here, stripes there...yeah. He'll be the baddest champion virus Digimon in the digital world! All I need now is a good name...Growlmon!!"

"A curious exercise." Takato nearly jumped out of his skin. He calmed down to see the fox Digimon looking over his shoulder. "Geez, Renamon. It's not nice to sneak up on people like that! Anything new or is it all the same out there?" "It's still quiet. No unusual activity. I wish something would happen though. I'm getting restless."

"It'll be another hour or so before the sun rises. If you want, you can go back to see if there'll be anything new or you can talk to me for a bit." Renamon pondered this for a while. "Very well. What are you doing with that notebook and why are you making up Digimon statistics?"

"In case Guilmon decides to digivolve. He will need a champion form so I'm making one up. I should probably get some work done on his ultimate and mega forms too." The fox Digimon raised an eyebrow. "How exactly can you create his other forms?"

"Before I found the blue card, I was the usual Digimon fanatic. I even created Guilmon from scratch. His armor in his rookie form can shield him from most champion level attacks. He has his Pyro Sphere attack and I always did have a preference to virus types so that was his type. After my Digivice was formed, it scanned all the stats and the picture I had drawn to create Guilmon. Since I created his rookie form, I should be able to create his champion, ultimate and mega forms as well."

Renamon smirked. "I thought as much. Now I understand why you smother Guilmon so much. You would definitely make a better mother than a tamer." Takato looked up from his notebook. "And your relationship with Rika is what the ideal Digimon/Digimon tamer relation should be?"

He got no reply from the fox Digimon. 'He may be a ridiculous tamer with a freak Digimon but they have the bond which binds tamers and Digimon together.' She looked at the sleeping Rika. 'Will we ever find that bond, Rika?' Renamon's ears twitched. "What was that?" Takato narrowed his eyes. "I don't know. I didn't feel anything." "Quiet!!" Takato breathed slowly.

BOOM.

He felt the slight rumble of the ground. "Something huge is coming..." He started to shake Henry, Terriermon and Guilmon. Renamon simply said 'wake up' and Rika was up in a flash. "Time for our morning exercises." A cold smile made its way to Rika's lips. "About time." The rumbling got louder. A huge shape came from behind.

Takato went pale at the huge amphibian Digimon before them. "If your morning exercises include battling ultimate level Digimon, then I don't want to know what you do for your daily workouts!" Shogungekomon shot a Musical Fist at the tamers. They were all thrown back.

Rika took out a card. "Digi Modify!! Boost Chip Activate!" [AN: I have no idea why the show referred it as paper chip so I'll refer to this card as the Boost Chip] Takato blinked. "She...she can't do that! Renamon's a rookie level Digimon and the Boost Chip can't be used on rookie, champion or armor Digimon!!"

"For your information, goggle boy, this isn't the game! The rules may be bent, even broken here!! I for one intend to take advantage of that." Rika turned her attention to the battle before her. Takato looked at Henry. "Even though it's possible, I won't break the rules. The consequences may be too risky and I'm not about to let Terriermon get hurt."

Terriermon and Guilmon dodged a Frog Kick. "We have to boost our attack power like crazy!" Takato took out some cards and started searching. "Digi Modify! Power Activate!!" Guilmon powered up his attack. "Pyro Sphere!!" Shogungekomon didn't even feel the damage. Takato found another card. "This should give Guilmon some major power! Digi Modify!! Black Gear Activate!!!"

* * * * * * * * * * * *

The door slid open to reveal a somewhat more refreshed Digimon Emperor. "Good morning, master. Your breakfast will be ready in a few minutes." The Emperor just walked past Wormmon to the map in the cockpit. "Now, the last thing I remember is scanning sector 1001, grid K, the last known position of those new kids. I know there's something missing. But what?"

"You know, master, it's really important to start your day with a good, healthy breakfast." Wormmon brought a tray to the Emperor. He still didn't respond. Wormmon decided to try something else. "I'll check today's schedule...all you have here is work on the new project, searching for those kids and forcing some useless slaves to test out a few booby traps you set along sector 4521. Compared to some of your other schedules, this one is light..."

The Emperor straightened up. "You said light...right before I drifted off, you said you saw a weird light flicker!!!" He got up and grabbed Wormmon. "How dare you not wake me up!!! It could have been those new kids!!! Where did you see it?!?"

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"We have to fall back and retreat!! We just can't handle an ultimate yet!!" Henry cradled an unconscious Terriermon. Takato and Guilmon were trying to blast off the dark spiral. Rika gritted her teeth in frustration. 'Damn you, Renamon!! Why can't you digivolve?!?' "We have the power at our fingertips! It's all a matter of knowing which cards to use!" Renamon kept playing keep away with Shogungekomon.

"That big oaf is a virus type and virus types are somewhat weak against vaccine...of course!!" Rika pulled out a card. "Digi Modify!! Wargreymon's Terra Force Activate!!" Henry's eyes nearly bulged out of their sockets. "Are you nuts?!? Renamon's a rookie!! She can't handle mega attacks!!"

"She can handle it. Besides, Wargreymon is one of the most powerful vaccine Digimon there is." Renamon charged up the Terra Force. "Metalgreymon would have been just as sufficient. Remember in the episode where Mimi woke up Shogungekomon..." "Rika!! I can't hold it!!!" Renamon dropped the huge ball of energy.

When the dust cleared, Shogungekomon was still standing. Henry was knocked unconscious. Renamon and Rika were barely able to keep awake. Guilmon's armor gave him partial protection but Takato's body had little strength left. "Takatomon...are you okay?"

"For now, yeah. But Shogungekomon's gonna finish us all. You gotta run while you still can. Take Calumon with you and find a new home. Watch out for the Emperor." Guilmon's eyes started to water. Takato gave a weak smile and grasped Guilmon's clawed hand. "I'll always remember the good times...buddy..." His hand dropped from Guilmon's. "Takatomon...TAKATO!!!!" Calumon was nearby when a blast of energy erupted through him straight to Guilmon and Takato.

DIGIVOLUTION.... "Guilmon digivolved to...Growlmon!!!!"

Takato woke to see a massive dinosaur Digimon standing before him. "I can feel your new power. How...you must be sharing your power with me!" Growlmon took a few steps towards Shogungekomon while Takato got up. "If you're still willing to fight, so am I!!" Rika stared in awe. 'How...? The gogglehead doesn't know what he's doing but he is still able to make his Digimon digivolve!! What is the secret?!?'

"We gotta try and blast that spiral on Shogungekomon's tail!!" A Musical Fist blasted the area but Growlmon kept his ground. "Okey dokey!!" "Digi Modify!! Hyperwing Activate!!" Growlmon grew a pair of wings and took off. "Pyro Blaster!!!" It hit the spiral but it still remained intact. Takato gasped. 'What...? The Emperor must have made it stronger on the outside. I have to try and get the spiral off but the longer it takes, the longer we are in danger. Even with his armor, Growlmon may not be able to win!'

"Digi Modify!! Speed Activate!!" Growlmon dived towards the ultimate level Digimon. He dodged a punch and shot a few Pyro Blasters directly at the spiral. It still wouldn't budge. 'This isn't making any sense!! Until we know exactly what the Emperor did with his spirals...there's no other choice. We have to destroy these Digimon.'

"Change of plan!! Attack anywhere on Shogungekomon!!" Growlmon blocked a Frog Kick and jumped back a bit. "Time for the trump card!! This combined with the Black Gear should give enough power to finish the job!! Digi Modify!!! Viral Boost Chip Activate!!" {Original Japanese: Devil Chip} Growlmon unleashed a gigantic Pyro Blaster to destroy Shogungekomon. He began to download his data. Renamon watched silently. 'So the kid really can create new powers for his Digimon.'

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"It's about time we can get into school!! I can't believe I said that!" The investigation had concluded as a vandalism case. After all, nothing was stolen. The Digidestined headed into the computer lab. Izzy went to the keyboard to access the area where the new kids were located at. "Very clever. They reset the map to global so I can't get a fix on their exact location."

Kari sighed. "Looks like we'll have to go in there and find them ourselves. Can the D3s hook up with their Digivices?" Izzy kept typing. "I'm not sure. I haven't had a chance to examine them or their Digimon. That reminds me. Once you establish a friendly relation, can you ask them to let me conduct a few tests on their...wait! I forgot. Temporal prime directive."

"I hope the Digimon Emperor doesn't find them. Who knows what'll happen?" Upamon bounced into Cody's arms. "Don't worry about it. They know how to fight well and there are plenty of places to hide from the Emperor!"

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"Great! Desert, desert and more desert!! Couldn't you have picked a place more tropical with water and fruit and plenty of space to hide? With Growlmon so red, we might as well write 'Digimon Tamers right here!!' or something!!" Henry shook his head. "I may be a computer expert but that was my first time actually accessing the gate. If I knew where to program the location, I would. Since I couldn't, the gate just picked a random location for us."

The Digimon were walking behind their tamers, keeping an eye out for vegetation and natural resources. Calumon just walked beside Rika. "Hey, Henry. I was just wondering if Calumon triggers the digivolving process." Rika's ears perked up. "Think about it. Calumon was there during the fight with the Digidestined. And I could have sworn I saw a light glowing on his forehead before I blacked out. The next thing I knew, there was Growlmon."

Henry scratched his chin. "Interesting observation. It may be possible he was at the garage when Terriermon digivolved to Gargomon that time. But what about when Terriermon digivolved in my computer game?" A surprised yelp from behind caught all three tamers' attention. They turned around to see their Digimon down with dark spirals on their bodies. The Emperor was hovering above with Airdramon.

"Ah, so I finally meet the new kids. It was extremely fortunate for me that I saw your red Digimon. Otherwise, it would have been a lot harder to find you." Takato mentally cursed himself for making Growlmon so red. Henry also had a similar look of guilt for not being able to program the digital gate to find a better location.

The Emperor chuckled. "I'm looking forward to seeing what these new specimens can do. I will take them back to study them physically and examine their data for possible digivolutions. But first, I plan to conduct a little test on their attack power. You see, all that remained of Shogungekomon...well, there was nothing left to analyze. With such inconclusive evidence, I have to see what they can do for myself. And as for a target, I suppose that you'll have to do." The three Digimon slowly got up...and it looked like that they were ready to do the Emperor's bidding.