Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Brothers ❯ A Brand New Day ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Part Six - A Brand New Day

There was a brief silence as dust settled on the floor of the huge chamber, broken when the other Digi-Destined rushed in a hail of stamping feet.
"Hey, where'd that other goon go?" Tai demanded belligerently. Minomon tiredly raised his head.
"He de-digivolved, then ran away." The little green 'mon replied from inside Ken's protective arms.
"He could cause trouble later on." Yolei said grimly as Aquilamon flew her over the rubble.
"He won't be a problem for us - right Ken?" Davis grinned at his 'Brother'. Ken peered out from under his veil of violet hair, and tentatively smiled back.
"Right." The bluenette almost whispered.
Matt surveyed the devastated base and shook his head.
"I don't think there's anymore we can do here...why don't we head on home?"
Sounds like an idea to me, buddy." Tai replied, laying and hand on the blonde's shoulder.
Davis grinned up at the older Digidestined, and then back down at his partner...but when he looked down, he saw that Demiveemon was fast asleep.

**The Next Morning**
It was too early to be having a meeting, Davis thought as he hurried across the road to reach Izzy's house. Glancing down at his watch, he knew that he was already late.
"C'mon Davis, we're gonna be late!" Demiveemon scolded, his voice muffled by the material of the backpack he had been stuffed in. Davis just scowled and hurried up the stairs at top speed.
He finally arrived at the door, his face red with the exertion.
"Whoo, I'm never doing that again." He muttered to himself as Mrs Izumi let him inside. As he had thought they would be, Tai, Matt, Izzy, and all of the new Digi-Destined were sat in Izzy's room.
"Nice to see you Davis," Matt teased, "What kept you this time?"
"I made the mistake of mentioning your name to Jun," Davis replied dryly, "She wouldn't let go of me until I promised to get her your autograph."
They all laughed, Tai in particular almost bust a gut. Matt rewarded his best friend with an icy stare.
"As I was saying," Izzy interrupted in a vain attempt to call things to order, "I have a couple of theories as to what made Paildramon digivolve further..." But as the young computer genius twittered on, Davis began to realise that he couldn't understand half of what the redhead was saying. He began to scowl; Davis absolutely hated to feel stupid. But looking around the room, he saw total comprehension on only two faces - Yolei...and Ken.
Davis smiled suddenly as Ken subtly shifted his gaze to glance at him. Izzy could theorise all he wanted, but only Davis and Ken would ever know the real reason that Imperialdramon had come into being. It was a bond that could never be broken.
Besides, Ken could explain it all to him...later.

Ken smiled to himself as he caught Davis's chocolate stare for just a moment. In his heart he knew he would always be able to hear the sound of that other heartbeat, offering courage where his own faltered, giving him the promise of eternal friendship. It was that power of togetherness, that knowledge that they were stronger together than apart, that was the true secret to DNA Digivolving.
It was something Ken had only now come to understand. Only with his friends around him, and the song of the blood bond singing through him, could he understand the power of love in it's myriad forms and faces.
So Ken smiled at Davis, looking forward to telling his best friend all he had discovered...later.
But for now, he just listened.
Thump Thump
Thump Thump

THE END
By Skyblaze