Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Open Your Eyes ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The song, the show, and the characters are not mine.

Description: Rika is annoyed with Suzie's constant want for toys and decides it's time for a lesson in harsh reality. My first Songfic and my first "Tamers" fic.

OPEN YOUR EYES

(Rika is at Henry's house. Henry, Rika and Suzie are watching TV when a doll commercial comes on.)

TV: Pretty Princess dolls. The dolls all girls want. And now you can get Pretty Princess horses.

Suzie: Henwy, Wika. I want a Pwetty Pwincess doll and a Pwetty Pwincess Howsie and a Pwetty Pwincess Dweam Castle and…

Henry: Suzie, do you really want those or do you just want them because the TV said you do?

Suzie: I need Pwetty Pwincess Dolls! They'we the best dolls since Bawbies!

Rika: (to Henry) I'll handle this. (to Suzie) You're an advertiser's dream.

Suzie: I am?

Rika: Sure. If they were selling dog shi…

(Henry covers Rika's mouth)

Henry: Think of who you're talking to. Try to take the language down a notch.

Rika: As I was saying, you'd buy anything that was advertised as the next big thing.

Suzie: That's not twue!

Rika: You buy it because the commercials imply that all the girls are buying this doll and if you don't buy this doll right away you're a tomboyish babydy…

(Henry covers Rika's mouth again)

Henry: You're getting carried away.

Rika: As I was saying, you buy it because they say that it makes you normal. But did you ever think of who "they" are? And how much "they" personally stand to make on the sales of that doll?

Suzie: What do you mean, Wika?

Rika: You need to realise you're being tricked. You need to open your eyes.

Suzie: What?

Rika: OPEN YOUR EYES TO THE MILLIONS OF LIES THAT THEY TELL YOU EVERYDAY

Suzie: What lies?

Rika: "The dolls all girls want" to start with.

Henry: Rika, please don't.

Rika: OPEN YOUR MIND TO THE CLEVER DISGUISE THAT THE ADVERTISMENTS SAY

Suzie: What does that mean?

Rika: It means the way that they disguise their own greed as your need to buy the doll.

Henry: Rika, I don't want you polluting my little sister's mind with anti-capitalist ideas.

Rika: Hey, she has to learn they're full of it some day, it might as well be now.

Suzie: It's okay, Henwy. It's not like it makes sense anyways.

Rika: HOW DO THEY KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU?

Suzie: Because they'we oldew and know bettew.

Rika: WAKE UP, WAKE UP

Suzie: I'm awake.

Rika: WAKE UP, WAKE UP

Suzie: I am awake, Wika.

Rika: IT'S A SHOT THROUGH THE HEAD AND YOU'RE BETTER OFF DEAD UNTIL YOU WAKE UP, WAKE UP!

(Henry pulls Rika away again)

Henry: That last part was a bit of an overstatement.

Rika: I disagree. E dead!

Henry: Why did you have to do this?

Rika: (ignoring Henry) Suzie, do you know where those dolls are made?

Suzie: By the people in the factowies?

Rika: Yes, but where are those factories? And who works there?

Suzie: I don't know

Rika: They're in China and they're staffed by girls and boys around your age! If your father had stayed in his homeland you could be making those dolls instead of begging for them. And that's not the worst of it.

Suzie: If that's not the wowst, what is?

Rika: Do you know what they do to build those factories?

Suzie: No.

Rika: THEY DESTROY ALL THE LAND, KILL WHAT THEY CAN JUST TO MAKE THE PROFITS RISE!

Suzie: It's not twue!

Rika: THEY'VE SOLD YOU FROM BIRTH FOR ALL THAT YOU'RE WORTH.

Suzie: Stop lying, Wika.

Rika: MONEY SPREADS LIKE LIES! NOW HOW DO THEY KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU?

Suzie: They don't!

Rika: WAKE UP, WAKE UP

Henry: Enough already. You've traumatised Suzie enough!

Rika: WAKE UP, WAKE UP

Henry: Please stop this.

Rika: IT'S A SHOT THROUGH THE HEAD AND YOU'RE BETTER OFF DEAD UNTIL YOU WAKE UP!

Henry: Rika, she's going to have nightmares for weeks because of this.

Suzie: Henwy, it's okay. I undewstand what she's saying.

Henry: (to Suzie) That's my problem. (to Rika) I DON'T WANT TO HATE YOU, DON'T WANT TO BLAME IT ALL ON YOU

Rika: I'M OUT OF OPTIONS. IF YOU DON'T LOOK, I'LL FORCE YOU TO!

Henry: What?

Rika: IF YOT LOOK I'LL FORCE YOU TO!

Henry: What are you talking about?

Rika: (pointing to a news story about child labour) IF YOU DON'T LOOK, I'LL FORCE YOU TO!

Henry: Okay, I get it now.

Rika: WAKE UP, WAKE UP

Henry: What?

Suzie: (joining in) WAKE UP, WAKE UP

Henry: What has she done to you?

Suzie: IT'S A SHOT THROUGH THWOUGH THE HEAD

Henry: Suzie, not you too!

Rika: JUST SO YOU CAN BE FED.

Both: NOW WAKE UP, WAKE UP.

Henry: Rika, this is ridiculous!

Rika: Well, it seems like you're deeper in denial over this than Suzie was. Susie, do you still want that doll?

Suzie: Nope, I can just dwess up Lopmon and Tewiewmon.

Lopmon: Great.

Terriermon: (sarcastically) Thank a lot, Rika.

Rika: No problem. And, just in case you're wondering Terriermon, yes, this was because of the Christmas incident*.

(Rika does the Anime raspberry to Terriermon)

Terriermon: Sheesh, you trick a girl into frenching her Digimon once* and she makes you pay for the rest of your life.

Susie: Come into the salon, Pwincess Pwetty Pants.

Terriermon: Rika, this isn't over!

Rika: Oh, I'm counting on that

(Rika walks away whistling the tune of "Open Your Eyes" by Goldfinger)

*See "Christmas Wasn't Meant to be Tamed" by Comrade Terror (don't worry about tracking it down, it's on my favourite stories list and he's close to becoming one of my favourite authors. All he has to do is continue writing the Devas series and "Born to be a Tamer" some time soon.)