Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Reich Diaries 2002 ❯ Entry Three - Aerial opponent, Harpymon's first flight ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

-------------------------------------------------------

DISCLAIMER - Digimon belongs to several different companies of which I own none. Therefore all digimon used are their property and used without permission. The Diaries Universe belongs to Lord Archive. The German Digi-destined belong to the Diaries universe. All other miscellaneous characters are my meagre intellectual property.

By Misc666

Set in Lord Archive's Diaries Timeline

Reich Diaries 2002

Entry Three - Aerial opponent, Harpymon's first flight

-------------------------------------------------------

September 25th, 2002

"Oh damn. Here it comes again. Everybody down," yelled Nikolaus as he threw himself aside into the shelter of another tree. The others followed suit as a buzzing sound filled the air.

"Sharp Edge." A green shape appeared ripping through the trees above where they had been standing. The tree trunks were cut cleanly and fell away to the sides as their attacker fled into the sky once more.

"You sure you can't get that Shimon at all?" asked Karl as him and Kokuwamon got to their feet dusting off dirt.

"Snimon. And no we can't catch him. He's able to fly while none of us can. And he's too fast for us to hope to be able to hit him while he's up there." Renamon gave him a blank stare as she helped her partner to her feet.

"Yeah but what about Rinkmon, surely you're fast enough then?" Katrina looked up hopefully at her partner who shook her head fitfully.

"He'd just move further away and I'm not built for fighting at distances when I'm Rinkmon."

"So what are we going to do?" asked Tobias joining the others in the open area the Snimon had created by ripping the trees apart as he passed them.

"I can fly. Why don't I go after him?" yelled Hawkmon as he looked up at the sky.

"You're just a Child you don't stand a chance. Besides he's an Insect type. Chances are there's a Spire or two nearby, evolution is out of the question." Kokuwamon finally found what he was looking for and pointed to where another of the many black monoliths they'd encountered in this world stood.

"So all we can do is continue searching for my Digimental." Tobias grinned and set off in the direction they'd been walking in.

"I guess so. But if whatever Hawkmon evolves to with it can't fly we're pretty much buggered," pointed out Karl with a rather depressing expression on his face.

"Maybe he'll be fast and long ranged. We wouldn't be screwed then, would we?" Nikolaus tried to cheer the others up.

"Well from the feeling I've been getting it should be over there." Tobias gestured to where the trees seemed to part over the top of the area.

"Are you sure?" asked Agumon looking sheepish. Kokuwamon also looked rather worried.

"Why?" was the chorused question, also from Renamon and Hawkmon.

"Well the only thing over there is a hole," pointed out Kokuwamon.

"And a very big, deep hole at that," added Agumon with a sheepish grin.

"So it may be at the bottom of it." Tobias' face fell at the thought.

They came into the opening to find what they'd been told about. A large pit stretched out at least ten metres in diameter. But that wasn't the scary thing about it. As they walked to the edge to look down they found themselves staring into nothing. As far as they could see they was darkness. Nikolaus walked over and dropped a coin down into it. A couple of minutes passed before they gave up on hoping they'd hear it hit the floor.

"It's down there isn't it?" asked Karl going slightly green at the thought. Calmly he walked away from the edge and sat down a fair distance away from it.

"So how am I getting down there? I know Hawkmon can fly but I doubt he can fly all the way down there with me and all the way up again." Hawkmon nodded his agreement at his partner's statement.

"How about I carry you down there? I can probably bounce down the walls to the bottom. And Hawkmon can fly ahead to see if it's okay ahead of us." Renamon's idea brought a smile to Katrina's face.

"Wow. You're so cool Renamon," squealed the girl causing Tobias and Nikolaus to giggle. The girl however then swung around staring daggers at the two of them. Nikolaus also decided this was as good a time to move away from the hole.

"Anyway I'll go down now. Try not to go so fast so I can check it out first." Hawkmon then flew off into the hole being swallowed by the darkness after a while.

"Okay let's go." As Tobias finished saying this he felt Renamon's gloved hand grab him and stuff him under one arm and with a leap she shot into the hole.

Most people would have thrown up in the experience but for Tobias it was exhilarating. The speed and height was what he dreamt off. Of course part of him also liked the fact that he was squashed against Renamon's right breast. And every time she bounced off the walls he felt it squash against his face.

"What the fuck!" Renamon started upon hearing Nikolaus' yell. This was enough to cause her to miss hitting the wall correctly.

A wet smack was heard and a snap came soon after. Renamon let out a pained yelp and started to fall down the hole with Tobias still stuck beneath her arm. Hawkmon flew up to see what was going on only to get hit by the rapidly falling pair. With cries of terror coming from all three they were lucky to discover themselves near the end as they hit heavily against the bottom of the pit.

"Ouch. That hurt like hell. And Hawkmon get off me." Tobias staggered weakly to his feet finding themselves in a large cavern. Hawkmon rolled off him but the light, or more correctly lack of light, made it important to find Renamon.

"Renamon, are you there?" A feminine moan responded and he assumed she'd made it down if not in very good condition.

That's when he noticed the other important thing about down here. The only light seemed to be at one point in this room coming from something in the middle.

"Renamon are you okay?" yelled Hawkmon and Tobias could just see a faint outline of his bird-like partner crawling around on the floor.

"No, my leg is messed up. It's not broken but it hurts like hell." Tobias started to get a feeling of dread. Something was happening up top and they were unable to get back up. What if Nikolaus and the others couldn't hold off that Snimon for long enough?

"I'm gonna go over to that light. I think it's the Digimental." In truth he wasn't sure about what it was. However he felt that it wouldn't hurt him to check.

As he got closer he felt something touch his leg. It felt very much like Agumon's hands complete with the hard skin and the claws at the end. Then it moved.

"Don't take any more steps forward. There's a hole in front of you. If you want to get to the Digimental there's a way across three steps to your left." The voice stopped and he felt the claws let go of his wrist.

"Um thanks, whoever you are." Tobias started sidestepping left, making sure only to do it three times and stepped forwards. He felt the reassuring feeling of the ground beneath his feet and began walking forward.

"Now you can walk to the Digimental." The voice again disappeared as quickly as it had started but this time he didn't feel its hand.

Tobias nodded and walked into the light. What he found was an egg sitting upright. The tip of it was a pair of yellow ears while the majority of it was designed to look like two white wings were wrapped around it. Two feet pointed out from the bottom ending in pink claws. In the centre of it, where the two wings met, was a circle surrounded by eight diamonds pointing away.

"The Digimental of Light." The owner of the voice finally came into the light emitting a gasp from Tobias. It was almost Agumon's identical twin if not for being black all over.

"Um thanks, Agumon." Tobias felt kind of sheepish, despite knowing that although there were many others like Agumon who were also called Agumon, but this one wasn't the same colour.

"Huh? How'd you know my name?" Agumon started backing away from the light.

"Wait where are you going?" yelled Tobias going after him but Agumon soon disappeared into the darkness again.

"Remember. It's the Digimental of Light. Only someone who truly respects the reason it exists can use it." Tobias felt his face crease up in confusion.

"What purpose is their behind it?" asked Tobias desperately.

"To fight the darkness of course." And that was the last Tobias heard from the mysterious Agumon.

"Hey Tobias where are you?" yelled Hawkmon from the darkness.

"I'll be there in a second. I just need to get the Digimental." Snatching it in his hands he found the path back and ran over to where he'd left the other two now able to see where he was going.

"Okay Renamon can you get me back up there?" Tobias was panting from the run but suddenly saw that Renamon was still on the ground.

"No, my leg hurts. I can't even get myself up there now. We're stuck down here and don't have any way to get back up." Renamon's eyes were downcast and he knew that not being able to help her partner must be getting to her.

"Shadow Sickle." At first Tobias thought he could hear Snimon attacking the others. But then he heard the sound of the attack getting closer.

"Shit. Tobias get moving, I'll get Renamon." Tobias threw himself aside as Hawkmon pushed the fox-like digimon out of the way. A few seconds later the attack hit the ground sending dirt everywhere.

"If he's trying to attack us then what's going on up there. He can't have killed them, could he?" Tobias felt his voice waver. Hawkmon and Renamon both tried to avoid his gaze.

"No, you must be right. Maybe he's unable to beat them so he's trying to get us." Hawkmon's voice brought a flicker of hope to Tobias. But realism brought him down again.

"I have to get up there. I can't let them die alone. I can't spend the rest of my life wasting away down here." Tobias felt something vibrating and realised it was the Digimental of Light.

"Hawkmon armour evolve…"

Hawkmon's body started to grew becoming more lithe and humanlike as he went. His wings began extending as they became pure white with gold edges. His legs became covered in white feathers until they reached the talons. His feet were dark grey with white stripes around the ankles and ends of toes, said toes finished with red talons. His upper body was now covered in red leather with silver and gold armour over the top ending below his ribcage. His face took on a golden colour with a pair of piercing blue pupil-less eyes. On his head appeared a silver helmet with a golden wing design on the front. Out of the side of his head pointed Hawkmon's trademark feather.

"Harpymon." With a screech he landed on the ground as the Digimental of Light shot into the D-terminal that had just appeared in Tobias' hands.

"Does anyone need a lift?" Despite not having a moveable mouth Harpymon somehow managed to smile.

Nikolaus felt Katrina stiffen beneath him as he saw Snimon hovering over the pit the others had gone done. A little distance away he could see Karl, Kokuwamon and his own partner Agumon hiding themselves as well. They'd been lucky when Snimon had decided he'd rather wait for them to come out of the hole.

"Do you think they're okay," whispered Katrina calmly adjusting Nikolaus' position so his hand wasn't in such a sexual and compromising place.

"Sorry for that. And as for the others, well how long have you known Tobias? He never gives up without a fight." Nikolaus grinned happily as he rolled off her to lie next to her.

"But what if they're hurt? What if something bad attacked them?" She started coming up with all the possibilities of what could have happened to them down there.

"Tobias is probably just taking some time to find the Digimental. He'll be up in a second." Nikolaus started to begin wondering whether his faith was misplaced.

"Wind Seeker." Suddenly blasts of wind shot out of the hole knocking Snimon away from it. A harpy like being shot out and deposited Tobias and Renamon on the ground. Hawkmon however was nowhere to be seen.

"Hey Tobias where's Hawkmon?" Karl was the first to reach them as he asked the question on everyone's mind.

"That's his evolution over there, Harpymon. He'll defeat Snimon in no time." Tobias beat his chest proudly as Katrina ran to Renamon who was limping.

"It's nothing Katrina. I just hurt my leg. Digimon heal exceptionally fast and I'm no exception." Despite Renamon's protests her partner pushed her to the ground.

"Hey Harpymon remember to destroy the Evil Spire once you've finished Snimon off." Nikolaus sweatdropped as his friend jumped around cheering on his partner.

"So how was flying up here?" asked Nikolaus blandly.

"So cool. It's like your flying." Tobias grinned as Katrina, Karl and the digimon joined in the sweatdropping.

"Silent Symphony." Harpymon's mouth opened sending a vacuum of air out at Snimon knocking the insect to the ground.

"Shadow Sickle." Snimon brought his bladed arms around sending his own attacks at Harpymon. But the flying creature just dodged it easily before shooting down and knocking Snimon down again.

"You don't stand a chance anymore. Give up," shouted Harpymon standing over the prone Snimon.

"I can't. I can't go back to Gran Kuwagamon as a failure." The Snimon rose again shooting into the sky.

"Well you're gonna have to. You're too tired to fight me now. Wind Seeker." Harpymon's wings swung round releasing blasts of air towards the Snimon. However slowly but definitely it managed to avoid it somehow.

"You don't admit failure to Gran Kuwagamon. But if I can't take out anyone I can live free." Spinning round he shot down towards the others.

"No. Silent Symphony." Snimon was too distracted to avoid it this time and was thrown down to the ground behind them. This time he didn't return to his feet.

"Hey Snimon. You don't have to go back to Gran Kuwagamon. Just leave the Forests," said Nikolaus who stood close enough to help but far enough as to avoid being a target for it.

"You don't understand Gran Kuwagamon. He'll find you anywhere. He'll just send those Stingmon of his to hunt you down." The Snimon lifted its arm for another attack but exhaustion made it flop down again. The battle was finally over.

"I can't face him now." The Snimon again tried to struggle to his feet but had no strength to do it.

"But he can't be that powerful. After all he sent you and we defeated you easily." Katrina slapped Tobias round the back of his head to remind him of how inappropriate that comment was.

"Gran Kuwagamon can do anything in these Forests. And he's more powerful than the majority of digimon in the world. He's an Ultimate, two levels higher than Adult. He could obliterate the lot of us with a thought." The humans were rather taken aback by Kokuwamon's outburst. However none of the other digimon seemed surprised, Renamon for example was looking down and trying to avoid eye contact with anyone.

"What are you saying? If he's trying to kill us then he's the one we're supposed to defeat. Do you doubt that we can beat him?" yelled Nikolaus grabbing hold of Agumon who was looking away.

"Let go of me. You don't know what Gran Kuwagamon is like. He was okay until he decided to wipe out everything that wasn't an insect. He's wiping out everyone we've ever know and we're helpless to stop him." Agumon had turned around by now and was yelling right in Nikolaus' face.

"We can't even evolve to Adult level with those Spires around. Nobody can evolve to fight him. And nobody stands a chance anyway." Everyone was stunned at Renamon's outburst. Normally she was much more calm and reserved.

"We can fight him together. He can't be as strong as you say," said Katrina still staying relatively calm.

"Gran Kuwagamon is as strong as they say and more. He'll get me if I run." Snimon was snivelling by now and they were sure that if he could he'd be crying.

"Snimon is right. Gran Kuwagamon has sent someone to kill him." Everyone spun at this. There was only one person who could sound that snide.

They span around to find themselves staring at the arrogant face of Hans-Joachim Goeth. He was leaning against a tree and was half covered by shadows. In the shadows they could also see many pairs of eyes.

"Gran Kuwagamon sent me to make sure you do your job. And if you fail I'm to get rid of you and them." Nikolaus growled realising the pleasure Goeth was getting from this.

"You think you stand a chance against us?" yelled Tobias with Harpymon backing him up. Behind him Katrina was feeling up her D-terminal.

"Yes." A red flaming blur shot out of the trees.

"Flare Buster." A stream of fire shot out of the blur hitting Snimon full on. With the damage he'd sustained earlier he was too weak to survive this and burst into data.

"You see, I have an Armour digimon of my own." Goeth started to laugh as the red blur set itself down in the shadows again.

Next Entry - The terror of Goeth, Shadramon's flaming strike

The Digi-destined find themselves fighting Hans-Joachim and his partner. But with Harpymon tired from fighting Snimon and Renamon too injured to fight as Rinkmon it looks hopeless.