Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Hybrid Generations ❯ Shrouded in Darkness ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: Shrouded in Darkness
 
“Petit Twister!” Terriermon cried as a green whirling tornado came smashing against a Child level Gazimon, sending it screeching back. “What the…? I thought that would have done it!” Terriermon landed to see the three Gazimon laughing like a bunch of hyenas. “What are all of you laughing at you dirty digi-dogs!” Terriermon ran towards the Child level digimon trio again, “Petit Twister!” The tornado hit one Gazimon, sending it going back again, “Blazing Fire!” Terriermon blew some fireballs at the Gazimon, finally deleting one of the digimon.
 
“Good job Terriermon!” Jenrya encouraged, “keep it up!” He turned his head at a slight angle to the hybrid standing behind him. She realized she was being looked at and immediately avoided eye contact and stared at the ground, “It's okay Atsuiko, if you want to fight, you can, but if you don't want to, I understand. It's your decision.”
 
“Y…yes.” Atsuiko said timidly, “I'm really sorry…” she said quickly.
 
“Don't worry about it,” the older Lee turned and smiled at the hybrid, “Terriermon is doing a fine job right now.” Atsuiko nodded again, “Okay…”
 
The young McCoy watched as the tamer and digimon duo fought hard to protect the Real World, `I…I don't want to fight…' Atsuiko thought to herself, `I cannot fight, or…' Atsuiko looked at her hands. `W…why am I like this?' She began to think of what happened earlier.
 
“Let's go Atsuiko!” Lee said as she saw her friends went to fight in different parts of the city. “We have to protect the Matsuda Bakery and protect other people. Don't worry, everything will be fine.” The reassuring smile from the adult told Atsuiko that it would be fine. She nodded and followed the parent of her fox hybrid friend.
 
Jenrya, with Terriermon resting on his head, walked calmly with Atsuiko right beside him, “so, how has your mother been?” Jenrya asked with a friendly tone. “She's doing fine,” Atsuiko answered, “we're doing fine with Uncle Kenta and Uncle Hiro living with us.”
 
“That's good to hear,” Jenrya continued, “how about you, how do you like school?”
 
“I like it, but sometimes it becomes very difficult and complicated.” The hybrid answered, “Overall, it is okay.”
 
“That's different from Kitsune, isn't it Jen?” Terriermon commented. Jenrya nodded and laughed, before long Atsuiko began to laugh silently along with the Tamer.
 
“Did you know I knew your mother since she was 13?” Jenrya said. Atsuiko turned her attention to the adult Lee, “she helped save the world along with Uncle Takato, Auntie Ruki, and the others. It was her and your father…” Jenrya realized what he had said, “ your father, he was brave and courageous. With the help of your mother, he helped save the world…”
 
“How did he?” Atsuiko quickly asked. She had fervor for learning about her father. Ever since she found out she had no father when she was younger, she always wanted to know about him. Who was he? How did he fall in love with mother? How brave was he? So many questions raced through her mind, and she completely forgot about the fact that her father was a Dobermon.
 
Jenrya smiled fondly about the time they fought in the Real World, “He sacrificed so much to help us out, and he'll always be missed.” Atsuiko listened in interest as she heard more and more about her father and his bravery, “I know you never had the chance to meet your father, but we all know that he's always watching you.” The hybrid girl simply nodded and they continued to walk.
 
Farther and farther the trio walked from the Bakery, each of their thoughts concentrating more and more. Atsuiko had thoughts about her father flying through her mind as she walked. By this time, her feet were moving, but she had no idea where they were taking her.
 
On the other hand, the adult Digimon Tamer knew exactly where they were going, and his thoughts were sharp and only thinking about one thing: the safety of this world. `How did they open? We're the only ones who can access the Digital World through the Real World. Or at least we were the only ones,' Jenrya thought as they continued to walk, `this will be a huge step for Atsuiko. I didn't want her to learn how to fight this early, but I guess Kitsune, Keishinko, and Atsuiko had to learn some time.' He looked to his left at the teenage Digimon hybrid. `I hope Atsuiko is willing to fight,' Jenrya thought as they continued to walk, `of course I wouldn't blame her if she didn't want to fight. I was like her at one point…'
 
“Um, Lee-san?” Atsuiko got Jenrya's attention with her soft voice, “I'm sorry for asking, but where are we going?” Lee faced forward and pointed at a fog about a block away.
 
“A digital field,” he stopped for a moment, “I should be asking you this before we're there. Are you…okay with fighting?” Atsuiko stopped and slowly turned around and shook her head. Jenrya adjusted his glasses, “are you sure?”
 
“I...want to help,” she said quickly, “I want to be like my father. I want to help everyone in any possible way I can.”
 
Jenrya smiled, “he would be proud of you. Come on, we're almost there…” Before the three could begin walking again, a thick fog slowly ascended right above the trio. Jenrya looked around for any humans that may be in harms way, then turned his attention to the fog that lowered like a collapsing ceiling, “damn! Atsuiko, get ready!” Atsuiko looked around as her dark hair moved from one shoulder to another with each turn of her head, “We have company!” The female hybrid backed up so she was back to back with the adult, “w…what do I do?” Atsuiko asked.
 
“Relax,” Jenrya said, replacing his normal pair of eyeglasses with a pair of round, frameless sunglasses as the fog settled, “just wait until we know what we're up against. Terriermon.” With the sound of his voice, the little dog digimon resting on the top of the Tamers head jumped off ready to fight. The hybrid, Tamer, and digimon peered around, looking for their enemy and before long they could hear a growling. Atsuiko tensed, `I have to fight, I must be like father.'
 
“Get ready,” Jenrya turned his head slightly and said to Atsuiko, “it's a Musyamon, a huge demon samurai digimon with a razor sharp sword…Keep your distance Atsuiko.” Atsuiko nodded and accepted the advice given by the elder. “We have to stop this monster before it harms anyone.”
 
Jenrya ran with his digimon toward the monster that waited in the fog. Atsuiko was about to stop them, but it was too late. Before long she could hear the sounds of battle as she cautiously moved toward the sound source. She stopped again, and tears slowly squeezed out of her eyes, `No, I cannot fight…' she collapsed, with only her knees as support. Her mind was now in despair again, `how could I be like Father if I cannot even fight or protect my close friends…?'
 
Terriermon went flying towards Atsuiko and crashed right in front of her, causing a terrified shriek from the scared hybrid. “Terriermon!” Lee yelled as he ran over to the fallen dog digimon. Right behind him was a huge samurai-looking monster with its sword in its hand. “Run Atsuiko!” Atsuiko stopped crying in fear as her grayish eyes stared at the monster that was in front of her. Jenrya scooped Terriermon up in his arms and tried to grab Atsuiko to get her to run, but Atsuiko stood there frozen.
 
“So this is that wretched half beast.” Musyamon scoffed, “I will kill you and become a hero of the Digital World!” He rushed in to attack, but out of nowhere a being tackled the girl, saving her from certain death. Atsuiko looked around trying to find out who or what saved her. “Atsuiko!” Jenrya yelled from behind, “R…?”
 
“Looks like I have to get a new suit.” A female in a business stood up and patted down the jacket she wore, “Are you okay Atsuiko?”
 
“Ruki-san!” Atsuiko stood up and bowed, forgetting her fear for a moment, “thank you for saving me.” Ruki turned, “we'll talk later. I think we have to take care of a little problem.”
 
“I...I cannot fight though…”Atsuiko doubted herself again. Ruki looked the female hybrid straight into her eyes. Ruki's lavender eyes showed a look of reassurance, “I know Jenrya's been telling you its your decision, but listen, you must decide what is best for both the ones you love and the world. It's still your decision, so I'll leave it to you. But, make it quickly, because here that thing comes again! I'm sorry to leave you here, but good luck!” Ruki ran over to Jenrya and Atsuiko barely missed another slash.
 
“That female human, she is like you and the rest of your kind!” the Musyamon growled, “pathetic! We digimon are the superior race! You, like the rest of the others will be destroyed!”
 
`…Decide what is best for both your loved ones and the world…' words ran through Atsuiko's mind, `…your father was very brave…' her mother's face passed through her mind with other thoughts. Kitsune and Keishinko came into view in her mind, `…we're all here for you Atsuiko…' Atsuiko began to cry. Musyamon came rushing again, and was successful. Atsuiko came crashing to the ground.
 
“Atsuiko!” Jenrya yelled and was about to run over to her, but Ruki held her fellow Tamer back, ”Ruki…?”
 
“It's her choice right now. You wanted her to fight anyway.” Ruki folded her arms and watched, “she is no doubt as strong as her father, Dobermon. It will just take time for her to figure it out.”
 
“But she'll…”
 
“Get killed? I doubt it,” Ruki said confidently, “watch.” Jenrya turned to watch, trying to constrain the feeling of running over to help her. To his surprise, he saw something that he never expected.
 
“You plan to hurt my friends, family,” Atsuiko continued to cry, whispering the haunting words, “and me.” She raised her head and two bright red eyes shined in the place of the timid gray eyes of Atsuiko McCoy. Tears of fear were replaced with tears of anger. The terrible, powerful red that glowed from the female hybrids eyes showed her hidden ability. “I can't let you hurt anyone that I love!”
 
“I will not be stopped from my conquest!” Musyamon roared and rushed at the female again. A darkness shadowed over Atsuko and slowly began to spread, “Grau Realm!” Before long the darkness completely filled the general area where Atsuiko and Musyamon were fighting.
 
“Where did she go?” Jenrya asked, almost frantically.
 
“She's using her ability,” Ruki said, with her arms still folded, “Dobermon never fought, but I knew his abilities. He's considered a nightmare soldier digimon according to the card game, which is the ability to use darkness as a power, one of the most powerful abilities a digimon could use. Dobermon never used his abilities, but Atsuiko is using it as a defense mechanism right now.”
 
Inside the darkness was the Musyamon that was now stopped completely. “You vile wench!” The red eyes locked on the demon warrior digimon.
 
“You're in the form of a demon samurai,” Atsuiko's voice had a different tone. What was once shyness and timidity was now replaced with dementia and intimidation, “Darkness, solemnity. All have been apart of my life. You should know all about that. But you have another aspect of darkness I never had, or wanted to use. Evil…”
 
“What are you saying? I will kill you…!” the demon digimon rushed toward the eyes again. The eyes opened wider, “Schwarz Strahl. Now return to the darkness we are both from!” A wave of darkness overtook the demon samurai, deleting him instantly. The darkness started to slowly disappear. Atsuiko was left standing in the middle of the street, panting loudly and arrhythmically. Ruki and Jenrya ran over to her.
“W…what was I…?” she asked as she tried to catch her breath, “I…I don't want to be that…ever…I don't care if it is for the good of others. It…it hurts…” Jenrya was about to say something, but Ruki stopped him.
“It's okay,” Ruki put her hand on the traumatized girl's shoulder, “its your decision to use that power. I just wanted you to see how strong you really are. Lee and I will take care of the fighting if you don't want to.” Atsuiko's breathing began to slow down. The tears from her eyes stopped and nodded. Her eyes were dilated from her own fear, but she was able to stand up and start walking once again.
Atsuiko shook her head trying to get the thoughts of what happened earlier out of her head. `It felt like I was in a depression, but my depression took a form. The darkness all around me, the ability to control darkness…' She watched as Terriermon continued to battle. Ruki was standing right beside her, “Atsuiko, did you know your own power?” Atsuiko turned to the older female.
 
“No,” she said quietly, “I fear my own power…”
 
“It doesn't have to be feared,” Ruki turned to her, “its your power, something you can control. You cannot let your own power take control of you.”
 
“But…” Atsuiko blushed a little, “I don't like that feeling. Its like…” She paused for a moment, “depression.” Ruki was silent for a moment, and closed her eyes in thought. She turned to watch the battle once again.
 
“I understand,” Ruki said. She put her hand on the teenager's shoulder, “but it's a fear, something that must be overcome. Just remember…” before she could finish her sentence Jenrya had Terriermon in his arms and was running towards the two females. “We have to run…” Jenrya said. Makino asked why, “There's too many of them. Terriermon won't survive more attacks than how many there are already.” Ruki nodded, although her disapproval shined in her eyes. They began to turn and run, but Atsuiko stood there motionless, looking at the group of Gazimon. “Ruki-san, I would like to prove my courage. I want to prove I am like my father. Please let me fight these digimon.”
 
“Are you sure?” Ruki asked.
 
“Yes,” the young McCoy nodded, “I want to protect Terriermon and Lee-san, and you, and the rest of the world.” She smiled. Ruki returned the smile. Jenrya nodded and turned to watch as Atsuiko walked silently and slowly towards the group.
 
The Gazimon continued to laugh maniacally. Atsuiko counted seven Gazimon and stood in front of all of them. They spotted the hybrid and rushed toward her. Atsuiko closed her eyes and lowered her head for a moment and looked up again. The same glow in her eyes reappeared again, “I will protect this world with Keishin-chan and Kitsu-kun! Grau Realm!” The field of darkness covered the plane again. Ruki and Jenrya watched as the darkness engulfed all of the Gazimon. A moment later, the field of darkness disappeared. Atsuiko stood there for a moment with her hands together. She opened her eyes and walked over to the two elder Tamers. “Ruki-san,” she looked down for a moment and looked back up at the elders, “I can control it now.”
 
Ruki, Atsuiko, and Jenrya, with Terriermon in his arms, began to walk back to the bakery. “Takato and the others should be back by now. And hopefully they're as successful as us right now.”
 
“Good,” Ruki sighed, “after a day like today, I come home to see a Digital Field less than a block away from the bakery? Damn it Jen, what the hell are you doing at that job of yours?” Jenrya sweat dropped, “uhm, well, it technically isn't my fault.” Ruki shook her head as they continued to walk back.
 
---
 
“Both fields are clear here.” A puff of smoke came from a being as a voice talked into a radio.
 
“All?”
 
“Yes. She is stronger than I thought. Very different than I interpreted…” a cigarette dropped to the ground and was immediately stomped on. “I shall take care of her.” In the darkness was a single point of glowing red, but it disappeared a second later.
 
“Not yet…we must do a bit more research. Return now.”
 
 
A/N: Seeing how I really don't have a clue how Dobermon really fights, I mixed Atsuiko's abilities with something similar to Cerberumon from Digimon Frontier (first episode). Considering that Cerberumon is a logical evolution of Dobermon (but not really official), I guess it fits well.
 
---Dexstrosity the LdOFDestruction