Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Walking in the Dark ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Dejimon. I do own Kitsunemon, Yami Hikaru, and Hikaru's mother.

Prologue

East Yokohama Institution for the Mentally Unbalanced

Patient File #306-Yami Hikaru

Name: Yami Hikaru

Current Age: 10

Age When Admitted: 7

Admitted By: Kayazaki Miho, Kayazaki Mamoru

Admitted For: Various psychological and medical problems

Psychological Diagnosis: Neurosis, Paranoia, Hydrophobia, Schizophrenic Disorder Mild, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Mild, Chronic Depression, Optiphobia

Medical Diagnosis-Anemia, Anorexia. Insomnia, Asthma

Doctors: Watanabe Miyuki, Higurashi Kakeru

Term of Admission Thus Far: 3 years

Notes: Has strange affinity for blood, sharp objects, and ripped clothes

Often makes slits in clothing

Is unnaturally pale

Often has strange dreams

Rarely speaks

When speaking, is almost always to nonexistent figures

Sees imaginary friends

Appears to be colorblind

Sense of hearing and sight are very acute

Journal of Watanabe Miyuki

November 24

I have known Hikaru for the majority of the time I have worked at the clinic. My first year and a half was spent among various different children there, some with problems much worse than Hikaru's. But still in the past three years, I have come out of every session with that girl thinking that this is the hardest case I have ever come across. I've never encountered anyone like her, not in the first year at the clinic, not in my two years working at an institution in America. The child is simply hopeless. We're still not even sure what her real condition is. For example, we aren't sure about the neurosis. While she shows many symptoms of such a disorder, it is rarely accompanied by disturbance in the use of language. Her diagnosis has shifted back and forth between neurosis and psychosis since we got her.

Of course we don't know all of what goes on at home. We don't know what provokes her interest of blood and sharp objects and ripped clothing. It could be abuse, could be simply part of the neurosis or the schizophrenic disorder. We don't know if it's a good thing that her foster parents have gone to court about her. They've supposedly relieved themselves of all legal custody of her. Hikaru does not know yet.

But I'm looking at my records from our last session together and thinking now that maybe she did know, somehow.

Transcript from Session #044 of Year #003

(Patient enters the room at precisely 3:00 PM)

Watanabe: It's nice to see you, Hikaru.

Yami: (Silence. Sits on leather couch across from psychiatrist)

Watanabe: How has your day been? How is school going?

Yami: (Takes a notebook and pencil from coffee table. Opens up to blank page and begins to sketch)

Watanabe: Did your foster parents pick up your medication yet?

Yami: (Nods, still sketching)

Watanabe: May I see?

Yami: (Eyes psychiatrist suspiciously, then goes back to sketching)

Watanabe: I see. That's okay. Everybody has some secret they wish to keep. No one has the right to force you to share your secrets, Hikaru.

Yami: (Presses down as hard as possible on the paper. The pencil breaks and the patient throws it aside)

Watanabe: You seem angry, Hikaru.

Yami: I'm not angry. (Bites lower lip)

Watanabe: Is there anything you want to talk about?

Yami: Why am I still here?

Watanabe: It's what the doctors chose, Hikaru, to have you and me sit down twice a week again-

Yami: NO! (Grabs drawing and rips it in half) That's not it. Why am I still alive?

(Break in transcript. Suggests end of tape, manual arrest of recording)

Journal of Yami Hikaru

Assigned by Watanabe Miyuki as a daily assignment

November 24

I think maybe I'm not human.

I can never sleep. Water burns me. People want to kill me. My skin glows in the dark. I eat and eat and never grow fat. And I don't bleed.

No one can save me. Especially not from myself. Mama tried to save me. But she couldn't. And now we're both going away.

I think maybe I'm not human.

.