Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A New Years Story ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

A/n: Hey, people… Sudden urge to write a one-shot.. ^^; r/r, pleases.

A New Years Story

Vegeta tightened his coat and shuffled past the people around him. Trunks had a new girlfriend, and with the current festivities, had asked Vegeta to come and meet the girl. Kairi, a pretty blonde with more on her chest than in her skull, had been frightened of Vegeta's dominating appearance, causing the party to fall a bit. Vegeta had left, knowing that he had soured the mood, and decided to walk home. It was a pretty night; there was no reason to waste it.

"I wish Kakarot were here to see this…" he muttered to himself. It was true. He DID wish that the baka was there to share it with him… But Kakarot had been gone for a good few years. There was snow falling lightly… People from all corners were getting ready for the new year. There were geishas, dragons, teenagers with their faces painted, poets… All kinds of people came out to greet Father Time. It was depressing, Vegeta thought.

Soon enough, he was out of the city bounds and took to the chilly air. Kakarot… how long had it been? Three years, four months, and 6 days, if you counted today. Vegeta sighed and sped up. The only thing that musing was going to do was throw him into a deeper depression than his current one, and although it helped training, he wasn't really in the mood.

He had long since moved out of Capsule Corporation, having told Bulma that he was in love with "Goku". She hadn't taken it very well, but there were no tears and they still talked from time to time, so why bother thinking about it? However, his ears still hurt from hearing Kakarot's harpy screaming…Poor bastard. No wonder he had wanted Vegeta to be there with him. No matter, she lived, as well, and Kakarot still got to see his sons as much as he wanted.

Vegeta touched down in front of their humble cabin and frowned.

The door squeaked when he pushed it open. He wiped his shoes on the welcome mat ("Martha Stewart Doesn't Live Here") and stepped inside, rubbing his hands together vigorously and shaking his head back and forth. There were a few candles burning merrily here and there, giving the kitchen a healthy orange glow. Vegeta didn't know why he burned them… Perhaps it was because it made the house feel that much warmer. He shrugged.

He draped his coat over one of the chairs at the table and headed into the living room. The stairs were there, and he wanted to get to bed as soon as possible. All of that "staying up until midnight" business was something he couldn't care less about. It had been a very long day of training, and his eyelids were rebelling.

Vegeta stepped into the bedroom and noticed a very discreet letter lying on his pillow. Padding closer, he noticed the name "Geta" written in messy scrawl. His eyebrows drew together as he picked up the letter and slid the neatly folded paper from the inside. It read as follows:

My Beautiful Geta,

I'm so sorry that I couldn't be there for you these past few years. Each day passes, and I think about you every second of them. King Yama says he might be able to spare me another day on earth next year, but there are no promises.

I miss you so much, my Ouji. I've gone to a few tournaments where people have thrown themselves at me…but I couldn't bear the thought of even touching anybody but you. I go on each day only because I know you're there waiting for me when I come back. I know I'm not as good as Gohan is with words, but maybe I'll find a way to tell you how much I love you someday.

Everything is going fine here… I got sent to hell to take care of a few things, and I met your father… He sure is scary when you come too close to him! I even got to meet my own father and come to terms with Radditz. I'd watch out for Nappa, though…He's still pretty mad at you for killing him.

I can't wait until I can come back and see you again, Vegeta. I miss your beautiful face, and I hope you've kept up your training, because I sure have! I want everything you've got, and I mean it.

I miss you, my Ouji. Aishiteru.

Kakabaka

Vegeta's hands shook with his suppressed emotion. He couldn't help it, and finally, a dam broke deep inside of him and the tears spilled out. Slowly at first, but they came faster. One of the tiny droplets slid down the bridge of his nose and onto the cherished letter, causing it to burst into a thousand tiny golden butterflies that fluttered into the air around him and vanished.

The Saiyan Prince blinked the tears out of his eyes for a few moments, and began to smile. A true smile, for he knew that someday… Someday, his beloved baka would return to him. He fell onto the pillow, envelope still in hand, and closed his eyes. With the smile still on his face, he surrendered to sleep.

He didn't notice the ghost of a kiss that landed on his forehead, nor the whispered vow, "I love you, Vegeta. See you soon."