Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Boatworking Skills or Lack Thereof ❯ The Blue Marlin ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ, and I probably don't own the restaurant they're going to, or the truck he's driving.

Author's Notes: Here it is, the long awaited for date with Bulma and Vegeta as our wonderful couple. But alas, someone can't find their good shoes. Why could that be?



Chapter Seven: The Blue Marlin.(no, it isn't a fishing trip)



Bulma was busy sketching out plans for a new invention when her phone rang, causing her to mess up a single line in the structure. Sighing, she pushed her bangs back from her face then picked up the phone. "Hello?"

"Hi.Bulma."

"Vegeta.where did you go? I've been trying to get a hold of you for the past hour and a half."

"Comforting a friend." Scratching his dog's head, he barely heard the satisfied groan that came from deep within the animal's throat. "But I'm home now and I wanted to ask you something."

"Really? What's that?"

"I was.wondering if.you might like to.go out tonight with me and maybe see a movie like having a fun time tonight together."

Frowning because she didn't think she heard him right, she took a couple of seconds to think about it. "Did you just ask me out on a date?"

"Uh.yeah."

Grinning, she shook her head then looked over at her clock. "Sure, how does six sound?"

"Great!"

"Okay, I'll be ready by then."

"Alright, see you at six."

"Bye."

"Bye." Hanging up his phone he glanced at his clock and sighed before getting up and stretching. "Well mutt, looks like you're going to be alone tonight."

Barking softly, his dog wagged his tail and watched his owner disappear into the bathroom. Padding over to the door, he sighed and plopped down in front of it, his head resting on his paws.

At ten minutes to six, he was racing around his house, trying to find his favorite pair of sneakers, his dog chasing after him and grabbing his socks from his hand every time he set them down. Growling obscenities under his breath, he managed to get his socks back and pulled them on, having located his shoes in a pile of toys beside the couch. "One of these days you and I are going to have a long talk about what shoes you can chew on and what shoes are off limits."

Barking joyfully, his dog licked his face then bounded off to another section of the house.

Wiping his face off on the back of his hand, he looked down at his watch and swore again before running out of the house and starting his truck.

Applying the last bit of her make-up, she looked out her bedroom window, hearing a vehicle pull into her driveway. Smiling, she jogged downstairs and to the front door in time to catch him before he rang the doorbell. "You ready?"

Staring at her, he swallowed dryly then nodded and watched her as she came outside. She was wearing a tight, low cut, red top and a short black skirt that accentuated her long legs all the way down to her high heel covered feet. "You look amazing."

"Thanks." Blushing faintly, she took her chance to study him in his tight black jeans and loose blue shirt before following him to his truck. "So.where are we going for dinner?"

"The Blue Marlin."

"What?"

Grinning, he pulled out of her driveway and started down the road. "You'll see."

An hour later she was smiling at him from over the rim of her glass of wine in a very well located restaurant that looked out over the still waters of the York River. "Haven't you ever wanted to quit everything you're doing and leave town?"

Shaking his head, he glanced out the large bay windows beside them then looked at the blue-hared woman sitting in front of him. "If I did that, I wouldn't be around for the two people in my life that really depend on me."

"Who are they?"

"Well." He grinned and took a sip of his coke before continuing. "My dog for one, that mutt hates being left alone for long periods of time."

"I'm not surprised, with the way you spoil him it's no wonder he isn't waddling everywhere he goes." She laughed softly, the rich sound filling the air around them. "And who's the other person?"

"Kathi, who else?"

"Really?"

"Yeah, she and I have been close friends ever since she moved to Guinea thirteen years ago."

"So she's like a sister to you?"

"You bet, I was there to kick her first boyfriend's ass and to embarrass the hell out of her when she told me about her first crush. Of course, she had her times when she did the same thing to me but." He sighed and leaned back in his chair. "Remember when you asked me about that promise I had thought I kept?"

"Yeah.what about it?"

"I made a vow to her mother that I would watch over her little girl until she found the right man. Unfortunately I haven't been very helpful in that department."

"Oh don't say that, I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job."

"So wonderful that the man who got her pregnant ended up being a cheating jerk?"

"Well.you can't always expect things to go perfectly. Life wouldn't be as exciting as it is if you did do everything right the first time."

Laughing, he rolled his eyes and leaned forward to meet her gaze more evenly. "Are you trying to make me feel better or worse about this whole situation?"

"Well.I thought that I was trying to make it all better, but I think you need to tell me if I'm doing a good job of it." Her smile widened slightly, revealing even white teeth from beneath her pink lips.

"I'm already feeling better but it doesn't have anything to do with what you're saying."

"Oh."

"It's your company.you make me feel better when I'm around you."

Blushing hotly, she took another sip of her wine and tried not to look at him too closely. "Thank you.I think."

"You're welcome, now then, let's get out of here and go somewhere else."

Nodding, she got up and followed him out of the door, having finally noticed that he'd paid their waiter and left a tip on the table that would make any server very happy indeed.

Author's Notes: Hey all, sorry it took me so long to update this fic but I've been so out of it since I put out the last chapter that I didn't want to write. And RM, I hope this makes you very happy, and I hope the next chapter makes you happy as well.