Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Learning To Love Again ❯ Good-bye Love ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: Do I ever wish? *sigh*

A/N: Here it is, another new story for me to work on. Actually, I've been working on this for a while, as quite a few people will testify. *hides from thrown objects and boos* Sorry about the wait. I've just be working really hard on this, wanting it to be the best I can make it. As many must know, this is my first attempt at a real romance to post, so go easy on me. I'm not a girly girl with a head filled with mush. ^_^ Regardless, I certainly hope you enjoy.

*******

The cold December wind blew the rain into the gentleman's eyes, but he never seemed to notice, didn't care. The rain hid his tears.

He just stood, looking at the headstone in front of him while the tears silently streamed down his face, mixing with the rain, finally dropping to his coat. The fact he missed her was obvious. No one in their right mind would be outside in weather like this, without good reason.

Not that he was exactly in his right mind. Ever since her death, he had been beside himself with grief. He had stopped eating, stopped sleeping, stopped caring whether or not he even lived until he had woken up to the realization she was never coming back, and though he wished to join her, one pair of big, blue eyes kept him here. She needed him, his daughter, now his life.

Sighing, the man bent and gently placed the bouquet at the base of the monument to his dear, beloved wife.

"I'll see you next week, Videl," he promised, rising from the muddy ground and turning to leave. Even years later, he visited weekly, and that visit always brought to surface all the emotions he kept bottled inside. It felt good to talk to her and sometimes, if he listened closely enough, he could almost hear her answer him. Only at times like this did he ever feel at peace.

Gohan walked along the gravel pathway, which led to his parked car, still lost in the world of thoughts, dreams, and memories, mostly memories. Once behind the wheel, he shook water from his hair and adjusted his mirrors before going home to his family, now just his daughter.

*******

"Wow, those look great, Marron!" Pan sniffed at the cookies over Marron's shoulder.

"Pan, if you don't get back you're either going to make me get burnt or drop them," Marron laughed at the girl.

Pan took a few steps back. "C'mon Marron! They smell so good! I can't wait!"

Marron placed the sheet on the counter and stuck the fresh one in the oven to replace it. Grabbing the spatula and two clean plates, she started moving the fresh cookies. When the pan was empty, she handed one plate to the girl and began filling the first pan with fresh dough.

"Thanks!" Pan exclaimed, snatching the plate and rushing to the table to eat them. "I'm glad you came over to visit today. There's nothing better on a rainy day than your cookies!"

Marron smiled, set the timer, and joined Pan at the table to eat her plate of cookies too. "No problem. You know I enjoy coming over to see you."

Pan simply nodded, having been taught better than to talk with her mouth full, something her uncle, Goten, had yet to master.

Stepping into the kitchen and breathing deeply, Gohan smiled. "I can smell Marron's here."

Looking up from her plate, Pan grinned and nodded her head. "She's making us snicker doodles, Daddy!"

Gohan kissed Pan's forehead. "I see that." Grinning, he reached his hand forward, playfully trying to sneak a cookie from under her nose. As the buzzer sounded, a laughing Marron jumped from the table, leaving the two playfully fighting for the cookies.

"Daddy!" Pan admonished him, slapping his hand in return.

"But, Pan," Gohan whined. "They look and smell so good. I just want a few."

Still hovering over her plate in an effort to guard her treasure from her father, Pan answered smartly, "Then get your own!"

Gohan laughed at her, and as he turned to Marron and the oven, a full plate was placed in his hand. "Here you go, Gohan. Now sit down at the table and eat these, and leave your daughter alone," Marron commanded, smiling, sounding an awful lot like Chi-Chi.

"Yes, ma'am!" Gohan smiled and joined Pan. After eating a few cookies, he looked at Marron with those huge, puppy brown, Saiyan eyes. "Could I have a glass of milk, please?" He grinned cutely, wiping at his own crumbs stuck to his face.

Pan and Marron both laughed at him as Marron got a glass from the cabinet and moved to the refrigerator to fill it. "Daddy, you're silly. I don't know why you have to be so embarrassing sometimes," Pan chided.

Nodding his thanks as Marron placed his glass on the table, Gohan answered, "Because that's what fathers do. It's in the rulebook. Besides, you have it easy. You should have seen what kinds of things your grandpa did to me!"

"It couldn't have been that bad," Pan stated, thinking of the wonderful, funny grandpa she knew while stuffing the last of her cookies into her mouth.

"You have no idea," Gohan countered, smiling at the thoughts of better times.

"He's right. Your grandpa was a mess," Marron backed him.

"I'm sure it wasn't as bad as you make it sound," Pan argued as she got up from the table to put her plate in the sink. "Besides, I think Grandpa's funny."

"What about me?" Gohan asked from his spot at the table.

Laughing, Pan answered, "You're corny, Daddy! You need to take lessons from Grandpa and Uncle Goten on how to be funny and cool."

Gohan pouted. "Gee, thanks, Pan."

"No problem, Dad." Pan looked at the clock. "Oh, a movie I wanted to see is coming on in a minute! I'll see you later, Marron!" She made a hasty exit, heading for her room and the television.

Gohan looked at Marron. "See you later, Marron? No see you, or love you for Dad?"

"Aww...Don't worry about it, Gohan. She's a teenager now, not daddy's little girl, even though I know you still see her that way," Marron tried to comfort him.

Taking a drink of milk and nodding, Gohan replied, "I know you're right, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. Besides, I never told her she could grow up."

Marron laughed, and as the buzzer sounded again, rose to get her cookies from the oven. "I know, but Daddy and I went through the same thing. Mom finally stepped in though, and that made things much better. Now that I'm older, Daddy and I are as close as ever, maybe closer."

"That's true." Gohan finished his last cookie and drained his glass before rising to put them in the sink, just as Marron began putting dough on the freshly empty cookie sheet. "Unfortunately for us, her mother isn't here to step in.... Marron, I want to thank you for coming over. I know we don't live real close, but Pan sure does enjoy seeing you, having another female around."

"Oh, don't mention it, Gohan. I needed to get away anyway. Besides, I've always enjoyed being here with Pan."

"That's good, but thank you just the same. You even made us cookies. Keep coming over here and you'll have us fattened up and spoiled rotten."

Marron turned to Gohan, smiling. "Then I guess I'll just have to go home and stay now."

"Oh, you don't have to go. I was only joking," Goten quickly apologized.

Marron shook her head, an odd grin on her face as she held back her giggles. "I really should be getting back. Mom's the only female in the house right now." Her grin grew ever wider. She didn't know how much longer she could hold out before she cracked.

Gohan gave Marron a strange look. "What is it? Did I do something funny and not know it?"

No longer able to control herself, Marron burst into a giggling fit, thankful she wasn't holding anything hot. "Gohan, take a woman's advice, and I mean this in the nicest way possible. Don't ever grow a mustache. You'd look even funnier than Vegeta!"

"Huh?" managed a confused Gohan, who quickly looked around for some means to see his reflection. Spotting a shiny new cake pan, he took a look and had to smile. He had a huge, white, milk moustache, and admittedly, it did look rather ridiculous. As a boy he had worn one often, but somehow this reminder of his childhood looked odd, misplaced, standing in stark contrast with his masculine, adult face.

Gohan wasn't old by any means, but he had to admit, he wasn't exactly young either. At thirty-five, he was beginning to push middle-aged, yet he didn't look a day over thirty, though even he had noticed how much he had really aged over the past seven years. Being a parent, especially alone, will do that to a person. He couldn't help but wonder what age he would look if he were fully human. His Saiyan heritage had to account for some of his reduced aging rate.

Wiping away the stray milk particles with the back of his hand, thinking of how Videl would have had a cow at his barbarism if she were there, Gohan turned to face a now silent Marron. Giving her his best goofy, Son grin, he announced, "It did look rather funny. I think I'll take your advice, Marron."

Marron simply looked at him, rather skeptically, not fully convinced he was sincere. She had noticed the way his shoulders had sagged, as if an enormous, burden had suddenly been placed upon them. His reflection had also betrayed him. In the pan, she had seen his eyes glaze over with thoughts, accompanied, more likely than not, with memories.

Well, I'm glad to hear you listen to advice," she said unsurely. Looking at her watch and then into Gohan's eyes, Marron explained, "It's getting kinda late. With all this rain, if I don't leave now, I'll never make it home before dark. There's enough dough for about two more sheets. Cook them for eight minutes each." Moving quickly, she gathered her coat, keys, and umbrella from the living room.

Gohan followed. "Well, I'm sure I can handle things from here. Thanks for everything, Marron. Be careful on the way home. Oh, and be sure to come back soon. It gets kinda dull around here." Once again his eyes dulled as he thought of the past.

Reaching for the doorknob, Marron turned back to Gohan. "Don't worry. I will." And with those words, she was gone, leaving Gohan alone with his ghosts.

*******

A/N: Not so bad, eh? Well, feedback is always helpful. Thank you for reading, hope to see ya back soon (Aka - when I update), and don't forget to review!!!! Oh! And as with all my ficcies, if you wish to be placed on my mailing list, either email me or say so in your REVIEW. ^_^ Thank you!!!