Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Learning To Love Again ❯ New Concerns ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: This update is being made at 2:00 pm, and I still have no inspiration for a catchy disclaimer. *sigh* Doesn't that suck?

A/N: Well, I know I said don't expect an update but every other week, but it's the beginning of spring break for me and in honor of my good fortune, you get a chapter. ^_^ I wanted to say, thanks again for all the sweet reviews. Unfortunately, I lost that ego competition to Vegeta. For some reason Goku decided to let Vegeta win a sparring match for a change, and as you can imagine, Vegeta got the big head from that. Not to worry, Goku is serving time for his screw-up.

Goku - Here's you water, oh great goddess hippiechick.

Me - Thank you very much. Now, go do something useful, like babysitting my six-year-old brother. (Demon child....)

Goku - Sure thing. *disappears using IT*

Me - Does life get any better than this?

Gohan - *walks in the room*

Me - Please excuse me and enjoy the chapter. *glomps Gohan and the screen blacks out*

*******

Two weeks had passed since Marron's last visit to the Son residence and her encounter with Gohan. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your perspective, it was a day she could not forget.

Sunbathing, watching seagulls circle lazily in the sky, Marron's mind had begun to wander without her realization, until the last thought came, `What would Gohan think if he saw me in this ice blue string bikini?'

Shocked, Marron had sat straight up, blushing before quickly going inside to change into something decent and to find an activity to keep her mind off her previous thoughts.

A few nights later Marron had been dreaming of beautiful hairstyles and dresses like the ones she had worn to prom. In this dream she had been looking into mirrors, which surrounded her, while her hair piled itself on her head of its own accord, her dresses changing instantaneously without her control. One moment she would be wearing a long, flowing, pearl, princess-like gown accentuating her blue eyes and pale features; the next, a short, black, strapless number with the hair and heels to match.

Suddenly all motion stopped and she stood wearing a sea foam gown, clinging to her in all the right places, strapless and low, elongating her neck and perfectly displaying her creamy shoulders. Her hair, normally gracing her shoulders and back, was piled on top of her head in a mass of dainty, golden curls, reflecting the dim light, casting a glow around her head reminiscent of Michelangelo's angels.

Quickly, Marron spun to get a better all-around look in the dozens of mirrors surrounding her, giggling in delight at the sight greeting her. She looked like a fairy tale princess waiting for Prince Charming to arrive and carry her away to Neverneverland.

As she turned, laughing gleefully, a sound suddenly caught her ear. Turning toward the noise, she noticed the mirrors were gone, vanished. Peering into the grays surrounding her in her dream, a figure emerged, male, though his face was shrouded in mystery, a total blank even when she looked directly at it, trying to discern his features to gain his identity.

Closer and closer her prince came, before stopping, bowing low before holding out his hand to her, silently asking her permission for a dance. Raising her hand to take his in acceptance, Marron noticed she was wearing white gloves, making her hands and arms look very long and feminine, adding even more to her princess décor.

As the prince's fingers gently grasped her hand, soft orchestral music began to float through the air as though it were a phantasm haunting their surroundings, cloaking them in its mystery, and tugging at their hearts with the soft strains of the violin.

Curiosity once again overtook Marron as she and her suitor danced around the room, floating on clouds. Looking up at his face, she noticed chocolate eyes watching her through thick-rimmed glasses, and wild black hair adorning his head. Gohan had then simply smiled back at her.

At that point, Marron's eyes had flown open as she tried to understand why the handsome Saiyan haunted her so.

Sure, it was rather freaky to her to have shared such a passionate moment with a man she had identified as almost an uncle and father figure only minutes before, but in truth, this was not the thought constantly on her mind. To her abject horror, Marron found herself wondering if he had meant to show her that passion. Was it actually her he kissed, or was it Videl in his mind? Then again, it could have been the product of being alone with a young, caring woman after so many years of self-exile.

Which would be worse? Marron couldn't seem to figure that part out, and it bothered her to no end.

"Marron!" Krillin exclaimed from the Kame House kitchen doorway. "Look at his mess!"

Glancing downward, Marron found her hands in the sink, hidden by a mountain of bubbles flowing out onto the floor. Marron quickly jerked her hands from the water, releasing the plate and washcloth she had been holding, to shut off the water cascading from the faucet.

Marron turned to face her parents, both of which were now standing in the doorway, watching her worriedly.

"Marron, are you okay?" Krillin asked the question foremost on their minds, to which Marron solemnly nodded her head.

"I'm fine, Daddy. Just daydreaming, that's all," Marron confirmed.

While this reply seemed to satisfy Krillin, it only served to elevate, rather than alleviate, Eighteen's worry and suspicion.

"You've been doing that a lot lately," Eighteen commented, closely studying her daughter's face for her reaction.

"Well, I guess. Then again, I've always had the habit to daydream," Marron replied uncomfortably. Something about her mother's gaze hinted she knew or at least suspected more than she was letting on. Her entire life, Marron had always been amazed at her mother's uncanny ability to see straight into her head, read her mind.

Eighteen shrugged slightly, her face unchanged, scrutinizing everything. "Maybe, but it's been happening more lately."

Taking his cue, Krillin picked up the slack. "Look, we're just worried is all. We love you, and we're parents. If you don't want to talk to us about it, why don't you go visit with your Uncle Yamcha like you did through high school?" he suggested.

Marron sighed in relief. Neither of her parents had ever been bad about prying into her life, but four years away from home can change a lot of things. Though she didn't want to admit it, she had been slightly worried they'd suggest she visit Gohan and Pan again. Yamcha sounded much more appealing at the moment. That was for sure.

Nodding, Marron agreed to her parents' suggestion. "That might help."

"Good," Krillin responded, already seeming relieved, knowing Yamcha would help, or in the least, clue them in if there was something really bad wrong. "But be sure to clean this mess up first," he added, catching the look his wife shot him.

"Of course, Daddy," Marron forced a smile. She was much too worried for true smiles, but being Daddy's little girl had its advantages. He wouldn't see through it.

Grinning, Krillin nodded, acknowledging her, before turning and walking from the room.

Eighteen on the other hand, was a tougher customer. She remained frozen in the doorway, watching as Marron shifted uncomfortably under her emotionless, unchanging gaze. Eighteen knew something was going on, a mother's gift, but she wasn't a mind reader.

Finally, Eighteen's frown relaxed and nodding her farewell, left to join her husband, where ever he was, leaving Marron alone with her mess to clean.

Sighing, Marron fetched the mop and began her arduous task.

A few hours found her sitting in the plush living room of her Uncle Yamcha, drinking a root beer and eating the Hershey's Kisses he stashed for emergencies. Yamcha sat on the loveseat next to Marron's couch, waiting for her hunger to be sated before he inquired to the reason behind the visit.

"So Marron, what's been going on since you got home?" Yamcha questioned, eyeing the quickly diminishing supply of chocolate. He'd have to go to the store soon and get some more, just in case.

"Not much," Marron replied, licking the melted chocolate from her fingers.

"Have you been to visit Pan and Gohan yet?" Yamcha kindly questioned, knowing how Marron loved to be with Pan and had been caring for the two for a number of years now. What was it? Seven or so?

"Yeah, I've been over there a few times," Marron answered, trying her best to be nonchalant, staring at the last few bubbles in her soda so as not to look at Yamcha and give away more than she intended him to know at that moment.

Watching Marron closely, Yamcha frowned slightly. She was purposely avoiding his eyes, which was extremely unusual. Normally Marron would be by that point, cheerfully telling of her latest adventures in caring for the Sons, or baring her soul, begging for someone's understanding and possibly their sympathy.

"How are they doing?" Yamcha prompted, hoping she would play along and spill whatever was on her mind.

Marron nodded her head before taking a sip of her drink and looking at him. "They seem to be okay."

Yamcha nodded knowingly. "Same as always?"

Marron sighed softly and nodded again. "Yeah, pretty much. The only new things I can detect are Goten using Pan to get dates, and Gohan's agreed to finally paint her room."

Smiling, Yamcha nodded, remembering how much Pan had always complained about her room. As he raised his eyes back to Marron's face, he thought he saw something quickly flash across her features, too quickly to recognize, but obviously there, just the same.

"Goten's using her to get dates?" Yamcha questioned to continue the conversation.

Marron smiled. "Yeah. He said something about Trunks not having to set him up anymore or something."

Chuckling, Yamcha replied, "Those two are a mess. They've always been into something or other as long as I've known them."

"Yes, they have," Marron agreed, laughing lightly before returning her attention to her refreshments.

Once again, Yamcha frowned at her. Rarely was she like this, and it never took her this long to open up to him. Finally reaching a decision, Yamcha rose from his chair and crossed the short distance between the couch and loveseat to squat in front of Marron, taking her hands into his own, much larger ones.

"Marron, look at me," he softly requested.

Lifting her eyes to look into his, Marron was met by a concerned pair of brown eyes. "Yes, Uncle Yamcha? What is it?" she asked curiously.

"Marron," Yamcha started, gently squeezing her hands in encouragement. "That's exactly what I wanted to ask you. What is it? Something's bothering you and for some reason you don't feel you can tell me. I'm your Uncle Yamcha. You can tell me anything without fear. I won't judge you, think you're stupid, or tell your parents. Just tell me what it is so I can quit worrying about your safety." Yamcha gazed into Marron's cool blue eyes, waiting for her response.

As she looked into Yamcha's eyes, Marron could see the worry behind them, could sense how much he cared. No matter what, she had always been able to count on her Uncle Yamcha to care, listen and understand.

Knowing the incident between she and Gohan would give her no peace until it was brought from the obscurity of the shadows of her heart and mind and out into the light of truth, Marron took an unsteady breath before relating the incident.

"The last time I went to Gohan's was about two weeks ago. Pan and I hung out before Goten carried her away as part of his elaborate scheme to catch chicks," she started. "When they were gone, I started dusting the house, saving the office for last since Gohan was in there, grading papers.

"After running out of rooms, I moved in there and Gohan asked me to have a seat, so I did. We talked for a few minutes about Pan, Goten and him, and then," Marron paused in reflection, "he kissed me."

Yamcha frowned, confusion clear on his face. "He kissed you? Marron, everyone kisses you. I kissed you when you arrived. What's the big deal?"

Marron shook her head, her blonde hair dancing on her shoulders. "No, not like that. He kissed me…. Here." Marron placed her fingers to her lips in an almost dazed state.

"Oh?" Yamcha questioned before his eyes widened in understanding. "Oh! He kissed you!"

"That's what I said," Marron affirmed, nodding her head. "He kissed me."

A few moments passed in complete silence, neither person knowing what to say until Yamcha broke the silent spell. "What did you do?"

Marron's eyes focused on her hands, which were still engulfed in his. "I kissed him back…"

Yamcha released one of Marron's hands and gently cupped her chin, raising her eyes to his. "And what's so wrong with that?"

Unable to think of anything else to do, Marron shrugged. "I don't know…"

Giving an encouraging smile, Yamcha tried again. "Did you like it?... Did you feel something?... Do you wish he'd do it again?..."

Marron's eyes watered as she nodded confirmation before sliding off the couch, into Yamcha's warm embrace. "I'm sorry, Uncle Yamcha. I know I shouldn't have. I just couldn't seem to help myself," she wailed into his chest, as upset about her uncle thinking less of her as she was what had actually happened.

"There, there," Yamcha stroked her hair soothingly. "You didn't do anything wrong. It's okay to feel like you do."

Lifting her head from Yamcha's soaked shirt, Marron turned curious eyes his way. "Really?"

"Really," Yamcha confirmed with a nod, reaching for a nearby box of Kleenex, handing it to Marron.

Marron wiped her face dry with the tissues before looking at Yamcha again. "What should I do?" she asked in the same voice she had used six years earlier after Trunks had begun showing more than a friendly interest in her.

Reluctantly, she nodded her head.

"Well, this time isn't any different. Marron, you're twenty-one, not fifteen. You don't have to ask me that, but I think you should sit down with Gohan and talk about this. Find out how he feels and what he thinks about it. Then you'll be able to figure out what you want to do. Okay?"

Marron gave a weak smile before wrapping her arms around Yamcha's neck in a tight hug, pecking his cheek on the way. "Thank you, Uncle Yamcha. You're the best."

Looking back, Marron smiled, Going to visit Yamcha had been the best thing for her. She had returned home a new woman. Well, actually, more her old self.

"Sometimes it's really great having such understanding friends around," she mused, standing under a palm tree, the cool evening air running its fingers through her tresses, highlighted by the moon. That same breeze, causing her to shiver slightly before turning to go inside to bed.

As she reached the door, Marron paused and turned back to look once again at the waves of moonlight dancing on the tides. Taking a deep, last breath of fresh air for the night, Marron entered the Kame House's bright, artificial light, heading for her bed and blissful sleep.

*******

A/N: Hmm....Yet another filler, yet necessary chapter. As always, let me know your thoughts and opinions. I love reading reviews. I really do. I want more to read! ^_^ Okay, enough of that for now. Just be sure to leave a review! Oh! I did want to say, though I make no promises, the next chapter may be out in a week since it is spring break and though I have a lot to do, I don't have class or one job to go to. We'll just have to see. Laterz!