Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Only What You Can Give ❯ Recovery ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Vegeta awoke to the afternoon sunshine streaming in through his window. He looked around him and was startled to see Bulma sitting with her head on his desk in what had to be an uncomfortable position. She had stayed with him, watched over him through the night. He could vaguely remember the explosion. Then there had been pain and heat and finally blackness. He watched her for several minutes, trying to decide what to do. He felt well enough if a little tired, but she was not Saijin and did not heal the way he did. Carefully he rose from the bed. It was not difficult to shift her sleeping form to the bed. He tucked the covers around her and walked silently out of the room.

In the kitchen he met up with Bulma's mother. The cheery blond always had a kind word ready for him. She turned her warm smile on him as he entered and was completely unperturbed by his haggard and ferocious appearance.

"I'm so glad you're up. Bulma was worried about you. Oh she told me that Saijin's are made of stronger stuff than we humans, but that never stops her from worrying now does it?"

He sat down at the table. "No, it doesn't."

This seemed to be the correct answer because the woman plowed on once he'd given it. "She cares a great deal about her friends. She and Yamcha fight all the time now and it really tears her up. She used to love him a great deal, but now…well, I'm just glad they never made the mistake of getting married. She deserves someone much better than him, don't you think?"

He took a moment before he realized she wanted him to respond. "Um…yes."

"She is so smart and so ambitious. She really could do anything with her life, but instead here she is building machines to help you and Goku. She loves her work so much, but I can't help but worry about her." She paused long enough to deliver a plate of food to Vegeta. "She needs someone to watch over her, to protect her."

"She doesn't seem to need watching over."

"No, she doesn't but that doesn't mean she isn't screaming in terror on the inside. She's very good at hiding her emotions, Vegeta. She's been practicing for decades, ever since she was a little child. Being the sole heir to Capsule Corp. put a lot of pressure on her, even as a child. She was always expected to be the best." Vegeta felt something inside him stir. This woman could have been relating his childhood. "She worked hard all her life, but she never did learn how to let people in. She loves, but she can't show it no matter how hard she tries."

Vegeta swallowed the last of his meal and rose. "I should go, I can't fall behind."

"Of course, dear. You'll try to be more careful next time, won't you?" He gave a curt nod and turned to go. "Oh and would you check on Bulma before you leave? She'll be very displeased if you go without telling her."

Once again he nodded and this time managed to make it out before the woman could delay him further. He returned to his room to find Bulma still asleep. He needed to change, and the woman showed no signs of stirring so he decided there was no harm in it. After all, this was his room.

Bulma opened her eyes to see the naked back of a very powerfully built Saijin. She felt her breath catch in her throat as he tossed his shirt aside and pulled out a new one, along with a clean pair of shorts. He had hooked he thumbs in the waist band of his pants when he paused, a little frown coming over his face.

"I know you're awake."

She sat up slowly. "I only just woke up."

He turned to face her, arms crossed over his bare chest. "I know. I heard your breathing pattern change."

She surveyed him, feeling a familiar warmth in her stomach. It was infuriating having a man like him this close and not being able to do anything. She wanted to reach out and touch him. He snorted softly.

"Are you going to sit there all day, or are you going to leave so I can change."

Very slowly she got to her feet. Vegeta, it seemed, could sense how tired she was because he stepped forward and pressed her back down into the bed. He frowned down at her. She tried hard not to look bewildered but failed. She simply couldn't understand him and she was so tired her hands were trembling.

"You need more sleep. Better to get it here than have to walk through the house and risk facing that mother of yours." A curl of his lip told her that was exactly what had happened to him. "I'll be going out today. Not to the city. I have better things to do than get caught by your police. I'll be back by tomorrow night."

She nodded slowly and lay back down, watching as he gathered the things he needed and left. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. The pillow and sheets carried his scent to her and she drifted off with thoughts of the dark Saijin Prince in her head, filling her dreams with lustful desires.