Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ The Truth Hurts More ❯ Father and Son ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Chapter X: Father and Son
 
Goku rematerialized in Gohan's private room at Capsule Corp, nearly losing his grip on the stack of homework that he was carrying. “Whoa!” He quickly regained his balance just before the books toppled.
“Oh. Hi, Dad.” Gohan said, glancing up at his father's entrance. He saw the stack of books that burdened his father. “Let me guess… homework?”
“Yep. Your mother and I went and got it yesterday.” Goku said, setting the stack down on a nearby table. Gohan could have sworn the table groaned under the weight of his textbooks. “Your mother said to finish it all or else, but just between you and me, I want you to concentrate on getting better for a while.” Goku sat down in one of the chairs supplied in the room. “How are you feeling today, son?”
“A bit better.” Gohan said. “I can all ready feel my body trying to fix it. I was even able to move around a little this morning.” The teenager said proudly.
“Gohan, did you happen to sense anything… unusual this morning?” Goku asked.
“You mean the Saiyan?” Gohan asked. “Yeah, I felt it. I told Vegeta about it, he ran into Piccolo when he went to check it out, and they're taking care of it.”
“I guess it wasn't my imagination after all.” Goku commented. “I thought it was in my head because Goten didn't sense it.”
“Dad, I haven't taught Goten long enough for him to master Ki sensing. He knows enough to follow his opponent's movements in close-quarters combat, but I doubt he could sense anything in space.” Gohan confessed.
Goku laughed, scratching the back of his neck in typical Son fashion. “Opps. That explains it.”
Gohan didn't blame his father for being unaware of what Goten could and could not do. Heck, a few weeks ago, Gohan didn't even know that his younger brother could fight or turn into a Super Saiyan. Goten was surprising all of them.
“Gohan, do you know anything about this Saiyan? Have you seen him?”
“No.” Gohan answered. “I tried to go check it out when Vegeta and Piccolo brought the Saiyan back here to Capsule Corp, but Piccolo said they had it under control.”
“Hmm… Trunks called us a minute ago, and he said that he saw the Saiyan.” Goku said thoughtfully.
“Really? What did he say?” Gohan asked.
“He said the Saiyan looked like me.” Goku said.
“Really?”
Before Goku could reply, Piccolo came into the room. “So, Goku, you've finally decided that this situation was worth checking out?” Goku laughed. “No matter. If you had shown up right away, Vegeta would probably be having an even worse day than he is now.”
“But, I thought you and Vegeta had it under control?” Gohan asked.
“The Saiyan isn't violent.” Piccolo said. “But I'll bet Vegeta wishes he was. You know that Vegeta hates complex situations in which he cannot fight. I'll bet he'd rather blast this Saiyan into a thousand pieces than deal with the trouble that his presence has caused us.”
“Are you sure it was a good idea to leave the Saiyan alone with Vegeta, then?” Gohan asked.
“I think it will be fine. The Saiyan would probably know about Vegeta's attack before Vegeta could even think about attacking.”
“But… no one's that fast!” Goku said firmly.
“Yeah.” Gohan agreed. “No matter how fast you are, you have to wait and see what your opponent is doing before you react. The only way you could act before your opponent thinks is if you could see the future…” Gohan trailed off.
“The Saiyan does appear to have that ability, yes.” Piccolo said. “But the situation is much complex than simply that. It goes beyond the Saiyan's strange abilities, but rather who the Saiyan claims to be. Goku…” Piccolo paused, glancing at the older Saiyan in the room. “He claims that his name is Bardock.”
That literally floored the Saiyan. His legs failed him and he collapsed to the floor. He knew the name Bardock very well, having heard it from every Saiyan he ever met. When a Saiyan didn't call him Kakarot, they called him Bardock's son. Could it be? Goku wondered. Could the Saiyan I sensed really be my father?
It took Gohan a little longer to place the name than his father, but when he did, he gasped out loud. My Saiyan Grandfather, my Dad's father, is alive? How is that possible?
Piccolo gave Goku a moment. “I suppose you recognize the name too. Vegeta recognized it right away.”
“Yeah, I do. Bardock was my father's name.” Goku said, still in shock.
“That's what Vegeta said.” Piccolo said.
“And Trunks said that the Saiyan looked like me…”
“The resemblance is uncanny.” Piccolo said. “At this time, I'd say that he's telling the truth about who he is.”
Goku slowly stood up. “I have to go.” He said. “I have to see him with my own eyes.”
“I figured you would.” Piccolo said, noticing that the Saiyan was a little unsteady on his feet. He hadn't seen Goku like this since Master Roshi, Krillin, and Yamcha got him drunk at the celebratory `Majin Buu is defeated and Goku is alive' party. Needless to say, Piccolo never thought he'd see Goku acting almost exactly like Vegeta. One thing was for sure: Saiyans were angry drunks, and both Vegeta and Goku were forbidden from getting drunk at future events. “Goku, do you need some help?”
“No, I've got it.” Goku said, suddenly finding his balance again. “Let's go.”
“Dad, I'll come with…” Gohan said, starting to push himself up off the bed with a pained hiss.
“No, Gohan.” Goku said, and Gohan froze. He hadn't seen that look on his father's face since he first turned into a Super Saiyan and ordered him off Planet Namek. His father, whose parental strategies were normally so laid back, was wearing a look that demanded obedience. “Gohan, I know that you are excited about the possibility of meeting your Saiyan grandfather. But you are not well enough to be moving around and besides… he's my father…”
Gohan nodded in understanding after a moment. If he were in his father's place, he'd probably feel the same way. It was why he let Goten, who normally clung to his leg, to be with their father so often. Goten had never known Goku like he knew his older brother or how Gohan knew their father. “Okay, Dad.”
Goku gave his son a reassuring smile, and then nodded at Piccolo. Together, they walked out of the room.
“Piccolo, what do you think?” Goku asked once they got out of Gohan's ear-shot.
“I'd say that he is exactly who he says he is.” Piccolo said. “But the question remains… how did he survive the destruction of Planet Vegeta? Vegeta says that it is impossible and I'd have to agree with him. I'll ask Dende to talk to the Kais and see if they know anything about this.”
“My father…” Goku pondered. “Like any orphaned child, I did wonder where my parents were, and why they abandoned me in the middle of the woods as a baby. When I found out about the Saiyans, I learned the `why' but not the `who'. I never thought I'd meet my father.”
Piccolo did not know how to respond, so he maintained his silence. Piccolo paused outside The Door. “Take your time, Goku.”
The Saiyan didn't seem to need a lot of time. He paused in his stride for a few seconds, took a breath, and then opened the door.
Inside the room, both Vegeta and Bardock looked around at the door as it opened.
For almost a full minute, Goku remained frozen in the doorway as he and Bardock stared at each other.
Finally, Bardock spoke. “Kakarot… it really is you…” He moved over to his son, but seemed unsure of what to do once he got there. A few seconds passed, and then Bardock pulled the younger Saiyan into an embrace. “My son, I am so glad to see you alive and well.”
“Father, I…” Goku began, but the words got caught in his throat. He couldn't even find the right words. Nothing seemed right for this situation, so he simply returned his father's embrace.
Vegeta nearly contained a snort of disgust. Even when he was a child living with his family in the Palace on Planet Vegeta, his father never showed him such affection. It was impossible for the King of Saiyans to show any tenderness, even for his family. Any sign of weakness would cause an uprising and mutiny.
Even in a normal Saiyan family, members cared about each other from a distance. Displays of affection were usually only between mates, not between parents and children, or siblings.
But, I suppose none of Kakarot's family is normal. Vegeta thought to himself. But all this mush was starting to make him sick, so he quickly left. Piccolo left with him, but for the more noble reason of giving Goku and his father some space.
Bardock released Goku. “You are… really my father?” Goku asked.
“You are Kakarot, aren't you?” Bardock asked. “The only time I ever saw you was when you were an infant, but I knew your name and that you inherited your looks from me.” Bardock paused. “I am really proud of you, Kakarot. Most Saiyans would not have been able to survive being marooned on a strange planet for long. But you managed to not only survive, but thrive. I've heard that you've found yourself a mate and have your own sons.”
“Father, how did you manage to survive Vegeta's explosion?” Goku asked. “Vegeta's always said that you were on the planet when it exploded.”
Bardock sighed. “There wasn't a lot of time. I had tried to stop Freeza, but I had failed. I was badly wounded, almost half-dead. Planet Vegeta did not blow up right away, but I only had about a minute. I was able to find a Space Pod, but there was no time left. I took off, but I knew that I would not clear the planet's explosion in time. I had barely cleared the atmosphere when it happened. The planet exploded. All that I can remember is a blinding flash of light that ruined my eyes, a lot of heat that destroyed my skin, and then… I was suddenly halfway across the universe.”
“What?” Goku asked.
“I can't be sure what happened either.” Bardock said. “I was blind and in a lot of pain. Perhaps the explosion opened up a small Wormhole, or maybe I got saved by another race… I can't be sure. But the point was, I was alive. I was on the brink of death, but I was still alive. I've been on the run ever since.”
“On the run? From what?” Goku asked.
Bardock shook his head. “It's not important right now. What is important is right here. Well, Kakarot, let's see.”
“See what?”
“My son is a Super Saiyan. I want to see if for myself.”
Goku nodded in understanding. “Oh, okay.” Goku did a quick power-up which happened almost instantly. His hair turned golden and stuck up, becoming even more gravity-defying than before. His black eyes turned into a glowing turquoise.
Back in the days when he was still learning how to control his Super Saiyan powers, he would have destroyed the whole building with the untamed force of his spontaneous transformations. But, thankfully, he had the control over his power output to avoid doing that since he knew Bulma would have his head if he blew up one of her buildings.
She forgave Vegeta all the time for similar infractions because he was her mate, but Goku knew he would get no special treatment from the woman who was like his sister.
Goku looked over at his father, who was staring at him in awe. “The power that defeated Freeza…” He whispered. “If I recall the legend correctly, the Legendary Super Saiyan could only unleash his full powers once he had transformed into an Oozaru. But I suppose that your body had to adapt for the transformation since you no longer have a tail.”
“I suppose.” Goku said. “My tail's been gone for so long that I don't really miss it much.”
“How long can you maintain that state?” Bardock asked.
“I've learned how to maintain this form all of the time except when I sleep.” Goku said. “It really came in useful.”
“How many others can do it?” Bardock asked.
“Uh… pretty much all of us.” Goku said. “Vegeta can, and so can our sons. For each child that is born, the transformation seems to get easier.”
“Easier? Your half-Saiyan sons had an easy time transforming?” Bardock asked.
“Yeah. My oldest, Gohan, transformed when he was eleven. Vegeta's son transformed when he was seven. And my youngest son doesn't even remember when he transformed. It's possible that he first did it when he was five or younger.”
“Amazing!” Bardock gasped. “I never would have thought the Super Saiyan transformation would one day be so easily achieved!”
“From what Bulma… um… Vegeta's mate says, every Saiyan has the potential to transform into a Super Saiyan and its different levels. All that a Saiyan needs is to have a high enough power level and be in the right situation to trigger the transformation.”
“Amazing.” Bardock said, and then shook his head. “This can all wait until later. I'm eager to meet your mate and sons.”
“Oh. Well, Gohan's here. He's recovering from an… accident that broke his tail.” Goku said.
“Tail? A half-breed with a tail?” Bardock asked, adjusting his own tail around his waist.
“The only one born so far.” Goku said. “I'm really proud of Gohan. He's become quite the Warrior, and more powerful than I am. And he's only eighteen.”
“More powerful than a Super Saiyan?” Bardock gasped in surprise. “Incredible!”
Goku shrugged. “No one knows why mine and Vegeta's half-Saiyan children are so much stronger than us. They just are. Ever since Gohan was a child, he's been keeping up with and surpassing the rest of us.”
“That's amazing! A child with the strength of an adult!” Bardock said. “Well, Kakarot, lead the way.”
Goku nodded. “Sure. Gohan really wanted to come and meet you.” He said, leading his father out of the room and back in the direction he had come from.
“Are you okay with me calling you `Kakarot', or would you prefer your Earthling name?” Bardock asked.
Goku shrugged. “I don't really mind so much anymore. My family and most of my friends call me Goku, but I'm more than used to being called Kakarot. You can use Kakarot, if you want.”
Bardock nodded, somewhat relieved. As a father, calling his son by a name other than his birth name would make the fact that he really is his son seem unreal. He wanted to call him Kakarot as a reminder that his youngest son had been found alive and well. Bardock also felt the pain that came along with the knowledge of his eldest son's death. He was not very close to Radditz, but the First-Class Saiyan was still his son. His greatest consolation was that Radditz had died in battle, as was every Saiyan's dream. Thinking about that always made it easier for Saiyan parents to accept their children's deaths.
Bardock sighed. There was nothing to be done for Radditz now. And he still had Kakarot, his Super Saiyan son, who he could not be more proud of.
Bardock was quite impressed with the size of the complex they were in. Planet Vegeta had been heavily populated, both by Saiyans and alien servants, so there was no room for any Saiyan family aside from the Royal family to have a large estate. “Where are we? Is this your estate, Kakarot?”
Goku laughed, a sound that shocked Bardock. Sure, Saiyan laughed, but mostly in a reserved manner. Kakarot's laugh was `no-holds-barred-full-bodied' laughter. It must be a good life to live outside the influences of being a cold-blooded Saiyan Warrior. “No.” Goku continued to laugh. “I live in a small house out in the country with just my mate and sons. Capsule Corp. is owned by Vegeta's mate.”
“Prince Vegeta's mate must be pretty wealthy.” Bardock commented.
“She is. Her family is the wealthiest family on Earth.” Goku said. He paused outside a door. “Gohan all ready knows we're out here. Might as well go in.” Goku commented.
Bardock hesitated, nodded, and opened the door.
 
LES: Holy crap, another cliff-hanger! Well, at least I told the story about Bardock's escape. Personally, I prefer the Wormhole idea. Wormholes are theoretical and not fully understood. They've shown in the later portion of the series that if you are strong enough, you can blast a hole through space-time. I imagine that the combination of Freeza's power, the planet's own energy, and the energy of a couple million Saiyans and aliens being released at once would be sufficient to punch a hole in the universe.