Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Unlikely Bond ❯ Piccolo Explains ( Chapter 58 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ or any of the characters! If I did, the anime would never end and GT would have never happened!

Story notes: This takes place ten years after the Buu saga. The only differences I can think of is that the whole thing with the world tournament in the last episode never happened and Goku didn't leave to train Uub. I wouldn't count on anything from the movies being part of this story's time line either, 'cause I haven't seen them all and they usually don't fit into the show's time line anyway. Especially that Broly crap. Vegeta cried through, like, that whole movie! That certainly didn't happen in this story....but, that's a different rant altogether. Hope you enjoy!

PLEASE heed warning in story description!! If you missed it, this story is not for children! It is also not for people who do not like stories that contain elements of violence, strong language, adult situations, references to sex and sexual activity between men and women, and men and other men. Oh, and fictional alien men having babies...'cause that's a'happen' here folks...

To my wonderful, wonderful beta-reader, Rowina: Thank you, thank you....thank you... ^-^


Unlikely Bond

Chapter 58
Piccolo Explains



Goku stared at Piccolo in eager anticipation of the Namek’s reply.

“Really?” he pressed. “There isn’t anything wrong with him, is there?”

Both Goku and Vegeta looked down at their child, who was now sleeping peacefully in the stroller.

“No,” Piccolo replied. “On the contrary, I believe he is quite extraordinary.” Piccolo observed the sleeping Saiyan a moment before continuing. “I have meditated for some time on his odd ki signature. While it might appear to be non-existent, it is actually just extremely low. “

“What are you getting at?!” the prince growled. Piccolo frowned.

“It’s not an insult, Vegeta. Listen for once before you jump to conclusions.”

“Then hurry the hell up with it!” Vegeta snapped back. Piccolo turned away from him, focusing his attention on Goku. “I’ve noticed when his ki does rise, it is a tremendous percentage above its meager base level - the same with his brother. That one,” he said, indicating Vejita,“at times doubles his base level in his distress.”

“So...” Goku frowned as he tried to work out what his friend was saying. “You’re saying that while he doesn’t have much ki... he can raise what he has?” Piccolo shook his head.

“It’s more than that,” he replied.

Vegeta gave a huff of irritation, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Then tell us what you are saying,” he stated.

“What I am saying is this: This child raises his ki over nine hundred percent when he cries. He has had two moments, that I have witnessed, when he has raised his ki twice that. You may not find that impressive since you cannot detect ki from him at all, but I can tell you that his signature does exist. It is quite mutated and fluctuates. Even as strong as these children have the potential to be, the child’s power levels at times are far greater than one with such a base level should be able to achieve.” He looked with amusement upon the little Saiyan. “I believe that he is actively suppressing it.”

“What?!” Vegeta snapped, drowning out Goku’s exclamation of 'Cool!'. “That is impossible! There is no way he could posses, inherently, the power and control to keep his ki suppressed at an undetectable level. That takes many, many months of training, at least!”

Piccolo shrugged.

“It is only a theory,” he stated. “It is what my data supports. The ability to raise ki at such percentages would take far more training.”

Goku picked up the baby and snuggled him closely.

“But he has had months of training, Vegeta,” he spoke in a happy tone. “Haven’t you, Ninji!... When you were still in my belly...”

Vegeta’s jaw dropped slack at the third class’ statement.

“That’s... that’s impossible...” he responded. Goku ignored him to continue speaking to the baby.

“Our son’s a genius!”

Vegeta rolled his eyes and turned back to the Namekian.

“Why would he suppress his ki?”

“I cannot be too sure of that. Since Goku did train quite frequently at active ki suppression... the child might assume that such suppression is natural. Or, since Goku’s ki is so drastically higher than their own, and they were living in a very ki intense environment, such low ki levels may have a meditative effect.”

Vegeta wrinkled his nose at the explanation, trying to tune out Goku’s ridiculous cooing over the child.

“Meditative effect?” he asked.

“Yes,” Piccolo answered. “Conserves energy... quite peaceful...”

Vegeta turned to Kakkarot and the infant prince.

“He’s not a genius...” he said in disbelief, “...he’s lazy!”

Goku frowned, looking down at the still sleeping infant.

“Lazy?”

Vegeta sighed.

“No wonder he doesn’t put up a fuss...he’s conserving energy!”

Goku continued to frown.

“Maybe he’s keeping his ki low to hide from predators. Didn’t Daikkon say that infants didn’t have a detectable ki signature until they were born? Well...maybe he is still hiding his.”

“If he were hiding from predators,” Vegeta reasoned, “he wouldn’t raise his ki at all.”

“But he’s a baby,” Goku explained in the child’s defense. “Babies are supposed to get their parents’ attention when they need things.”

“I have to agree with you both on this,” Piccolo stated. “Being in such a state of ‘ki calm,’ the child has to be acutely aware of the ki signatures around him. He would sense a predator. He raises his ki for attention, that is certain.”

“Because it takes too much energy to cry...” the prince stated. Piccolo merely shrugged. Vegeta smirked. “Lazy, Kakkarot. Plain and simple.”

Goku returned the sarcastic expression as he placed Ninji back in the stroller.

“Geniuses are always a little quirky,” he explained.

“Well, that explains ‘Saiyaman’,” Piccolo blurted out before he could stop. Vegeta gave a nod.

“Indeed.”

Piccolo blushed, but spoke quickly to change the subject back to the infant.

“As I was saying... If the child is actually suppressing his ki -- or has achieved a natural state of ki suppression -- he is quite gifted.”

Goku and Vegeta stared down at the two princes, now sleeping side by side. Vejita stirred, blinked up at his parents and began to whine when he was not immediately picked up.

Vegeta turned toward the Namek.

“Are you sure about this?”

“Like I said, it is only a theory,” Piccolo replied. “But it is the most probable explanation supported by the current evidence. As the child grows older, it will become clearer.”

Vejita gave a displeased shout at seeing his father’s back, so Goku bent to pick him up. The child appeared satisfied by this.

“Thank, Piccolo,” Goku said. “Now if you could only tell us why Vejita cries so much, I think I’d sleep better at night.”

“That’s easy,” Piccolo stated simply. “He’s a brat.”

“Hey!” Vegeta snapped. Goku laughed.

“Maybe it’s true.”

Vegeta continued to glower.

“I have an appointment that I must keep,” the Namekian told them. “If I have any new information, I will be in touch. If I can be of further assistance, do not hesitate to ask.”

“Thanks again,” Goku replied. “Hey, wanna hold the baby before you go?”

The warrior paled slightly and took a step back.

“I...really must be going... later...perhaps...”

Goku smiled as he watched his friend turn and take off toward the sky. He turned back to the prince.

“So, whaddaya say to that, Vegeta? Ninji is ‘quite gifted’.”

“We’ll see,” Vegeta said with a tone of incredulity. He looked down upon his son.

Was he gifted? It didn’t matter to him. He would train him and see what Ninji grew up into without adding the pressure of lecturing him on his potential.

The tiny Saiyan opened his dark eyes and gazed upon his father. The two stared at each other a moment. Ninji’s tail moved in slow back and forth motions, his smooth brow creasing in an expression that mimicked deep thought.

Slowly, his ki began to rise. His dark eyes stayed focused on Vegeta as the prince stood motionless over him.

Goku stepped to Vegeta’s side, keeping little Vejita tucked into his arm as he too looked down upon the other twin.

“What are you waiting for?” he asked quietly. Vegeta made a soft ‘shush’ing sound as he kept his eyes on the child.

Ninji’s ki continued to climb, and his tail began to twist impatiently. His tiny hands clenched into fists and his bottom lip trembled before he made a piteous sigh.

“Awww...” Goku breathed, turning to Vegeta who was now smirking.

“Hm,” the older Saiyan remarked, letting his tail loose from its position at his waist to brush gently across the baby’s cheek.

Ninji’s ki began to fall as his father submitted and leaned into the stroller to pick him up.

Goku grinned.

“He’s communicating with you,” he spoke, impressed, to Vegeta.

“Well, at least he’s quiet about it,” the prince said gruffly, raising an eyebrow at the twin in Goku’s arms.

“They’re still only babies,” Goku reminded him. “But getting big...”

“Mm,” the prince agreed.

“And then we can teach them to fight!” Goku tickled the chin of the baby in his arms as he spoke. “Your first word is going to be ‘Kamehameha,’ isn’t it?”

Vegeta grimaced, looking down at Ninji.

“You will eventually speak... correct?” he asked rhetorically.

“Of course!” Goku laughed, reaching once more into the stroller for the diaper bag and settling onto the grass with the baby. “Maybe his first word will be ‘daddy’.”

Vegeta gave a grunt of disagreement, pacing a few steps away. With his back to Kakkarot, he gently touched Ninji’s tiny fist and whispered:

“It’s ‘papa’.”

“Hm?” Goku asked, looking over his shoulder as he diapered his son.

“It’s getting late,” Vegeta replied. “Your son should be bringing my children back to Capsule Corp for supper. And I... I have things I need to attend to.”

Goku sighed wistfully.

“We really didn’t get to spar...” he said.

“Some other time,” Vegeta remarked, placing his son back into the stroller. “I will possibly see you later tonight.”

Goku gave baby Vejita a kiss on the forehead.

“Is that a possibility?” he asked the child as he placed him next to his brother. The blonde cooed as Goku unwrapped the little tail from around his wrist. “Well...I guess... I might see you later then...”

Vegeta gave a nod, crossing his arms over his chest, and the two stood in silence.

The babies cuddled close, tails entwining, and gurgled to one another as if in a language of their own.

“I’m going to give them baths before supper,” Goku spoke quietly, transfixed by his darling sons. “Do you want to come help?”

The prince frowned, turning away.

“I said I have other matters to attend to,” he replied, but not unkindly. “...Some other time, perhaps...”

“Fine, then,” Goku said, collecting the babies’ things and unlocking the stroller brake. “I fully expect a rematch for today.”

“Agreed,” Vegeta stated, his eyes giving one last glance to his sons before he took off for his home.

Goku watched as the twins became still and alert as Vegeta’s ki faded into the distance. Vejita gave an uncertain, questioning mew.

“He left. I wish he’d have stayed, too,” Goku told them as he turned their stroller back toward the Son home. “But he’s trying...” He gave a small smile at the thought. “He’s really come a long way...”


~~~~~~~~~~


“Don’t worry, Goten,” Trunks sighed as he turned on the light to the lab and motioned his friend inside. “Daikkon is not here. Mom makes him take the same days off as the rest of the employees, so he’s been sticking to his room to avoid Dad.”

“Good,” Goten grumbled, strolling into the lab. Trunks shook his head.

“Maybe you should try to understand,” the older teen suggested. “I mean, you did tell me how he helped you on the ship.”

“Yeah...” his friend returned, pulling a chair next to Trunks’ work station and sitting down. “I just feel like he really fucked up.”

“And he did,” Trunks agreed. “But I talked to my mom, and she said that there were extenuating circumstances that we didn’t hear. I think you should give the guy a break. He’s had his share of pretty crappy things happen to him, too.”

Goten grimaced but didn’t reply, watching as Trunks adjusted some cables attached to the ‘nursebot’ before activating it. Its laser eye snapped to life, and it hovered a few feet off the table.

“Intelligent Autonomous Nursebot, system version one point six,” the masculine, British voice intoned. “Upload complete. All systems nominal.” It paused in its report before finishing: “Good evening, Dr. Briefs.”

Trunks blushed as Goten raised an eyebrow at the address.

“Good evening, IAN,” Trunks responded. “I am going to leave you online tonight to access the ‘Global Medical Systems’ database. I want to see if the new hardware upgrade I made yesterday can handle the complete archive,” he explained to the droid.

“Yes, sir,” it answered.

“Trunks,” Goten said, placing a hand on the other teen’s shoulder, “you are a lonely, lonely man. You must get out more.”

Trunks rolled his eyes.

“This bot got me an ‘A’ in my robotics class,” he stated. “My mom says with a little work, I might be able to send it to product development. I don’t know why you’re teasing me. It was your idea.”

“Hardly,” Goten laughed. “Mine woulda had narcotics and boobs!”

“And you think that I am lonely?” Trunks inquired. Goten shrugged.

“Okay, so we both need to get out more. I want to enjoy the summer before I have to start college!” Trunks looks unconvinced. Goten gave an imploring look. “Come on! We used to have so much fun together,” he grinned, “back when you were the master mind, and I was the impressionable one.”

Trunks smiled.

“Yeah.”

“Before you grew up and became all serious,” Goten teased.

“And you never did,” Trunks added.

“Well, yeah...but we gotta have one last hurrah before we have to set good examples for our little brothers.”

“I already have an impressionable sibling,” Trunks reminded him. Goten gave a smirk.

“Bulla is more corrupt than we’ll ever be.” He laughed lightly before a somber expression came over his face. “Why do ya suppose your dad lied to her?” he asked.

Trunks ran a hand through his lavender hair, shaking his head.

“Come on, Goten, don’t be stupid. He couldn’t tell her the truth. But I don’t think he lied. Knowing Bulla, she jumped to conclusions...” The teen gave a sad sigh. “I’m sure he just didn’t have the heart to tell her what really happened. I mean, I know that my dad is usually this strong, gruff -- sometimes emotionless, sometimes psychotic -- ‘prince of all Sayains’... but, he’s still my dad... my papa...” Trunks’ voice reflected the sadness in his eyes. “...And I’m sure he didn’t want to tell his young daughter what really happened. Besides, I don’t think he wants to risk the chance that Bulla would feel responsible.”

“Yeah,” Goten said lowly, fidgeting with a tiny metal screwdriver on the desktop. “That would be bad.”

“It’s kind of a ‘no win’ situation,” Trunks admitted sadly. “I sure don’t know what I would do if I were in my dad’s place.”

“Yeah...” Goten said again. “But I don’t want Bulla thinking any better of those scum bags than she has to!”

Trunks shook his head.

“I doubt she holds them in any high regard. My sister is smart, but I’m sure it’s hard for her to wrap her brain around something so horrible happening to our father. She worships him... It’s certainly confusing enough for me, especially now since I love those babies so much. It’s... weird.”

“Ugh!” Goten groaned, laying his head against the desk. “My head is killing me!”

The grey, metal nursebot turned its red laser eye to the teen.

“An anti-inflammatory is most often sufficient for a common ‘head ache.’ As your temperature is point six degrees higher than normal --”

“It’s alright, IAN,” Trunks spoke, stopping the droid in its speech. “I’ll get him something, but thank you. You can shut down now and prepare for the uplink.”

“Yes, sir.”

The teens watched the bot deactivate and settle back onto the table’s surface.

“Really, really a shame, man,” Goten sighed.

“Maybe the next one...” Trunks told him.

“Well, I better get going...”Goten spoke as he stood. “Don’t wanna worry my mom any more than I probably already have.” Trunks nodded.

“Kiss the babies for me.”

“No prob...Hey, ya think Bulla’s right about, you know, maybe it not being fair that we have to split the babies from your dad?”

“He’s over there when they need him,” Trunks replied. “It might be harder later, but who knows. This is how it will always be for them, so maybe it won't be so bad since they won't know the difference.”

Goten considered that before he turned to leave.

“I don’t know which is more sad...”

~~~~~~~~~~


Chi Chi gave a scrutinizing look at the casserole in the oven, calculating its remaining cooking time. Gohan, Videl and Pan would be there shortly, and Goten had yet to return home.

After giving the dining table a final check, she headed upstairs to inform her husband of the time.

She paused in the doorway to their bedroom. This vantage point gave her a clear view of the bathroom, where Goku stood bathing his blonde son in the infant tub he had sitting on the bathroom counter. She could hear the soft splashing of water as he washed the baby, and she could hear the low tone of his voice as he spoke to the child.

“I know you miss your daddy, but you are a big boy.... you don’t need to cry, ‘cause I am here. And Ninji doesn’t cry, and I know you are just as smart as he is. He knows that Vegeta will be here if you really need him...”

Chi Chi frowned. She knew the past couple of nights had not been the easiest for her husband. She knew Goku had tried everything to soothe Vegeta’s look-alike son before having to resort to calling the prince for help. Vegeta was civil enough about it, taking the child without complaint so Goku could get some sleep.

But, even if it hadn’t been Vegeta, it was still hard to see her husband raising a child with another. She had to remind herself, no matter how much Goku adored and loved those children, he didn’t ask for this and it wasn’t his fault.

But it was still hard for her.

There was something nagging at the back of her brain that she couldn’t quite hear. Yes, she hurt for Goku’s tragedy, her pride stung to have to share him with Vegeta...but...there was something else...

“Goku,” she spoke, trying to shake the feeling, pushing the thought away. “Dinner will be ready within a half hour.”

“Okay,” he replied, wrapping Vejita in a towel.

“Can you sense Goten?” she asked. “He isn’t in yet.”

“He’s on his way,” he assured her, stopping at her side on his way out of the room. “Look how big he’s getting, Chi!”

She smiled at the blonde baby, snuggled happily in the cloth.

“Yes. They are growing very fast.”

“Yeah.” He kissed the baby on the head and moved across the hall into the nursery. Chi Chi followed.

Ninji was already bathed and dressed in pajamas, lying in the middle of the crib. He wasn’t sleeping, but staring up at the moon and stars mobile that rotated slowly overhead.

Chi Chi chuckled at the serious expression on the baby’s face, reaching into the crib and gently caressing the boy’s hair. The baby closed his eyes in contentment, bringing a fist to his mouth.

Goku came to stand at his wife’s side, placing Vejita in the crib.

“I, um, need to take care of Ninji, and I’ll be down,” he told her.

She smiled warmly at him, giving him a gentle pat on the back.

“Well, I made plenty, so take your time.”

Goku laughed.

“It will really depend on if he takes his time, but I am starving!”

Chi Chi gave a polite laugh with him.

“I’ll keep something warm, if I have to,” she told him.

“Thanks, hon.”

She watched him pick up the now sleeping, dark haired infant into his arms.

“Wake up, kiddo,” he murmured, nuzzling the little baby. He sighed, before saying, “I really can’t believe how big they are getting.”

“They all grow fast,” Chi Chi replied sadly.

“Yeah... but they’re growing four times as fast!” he exclaimed. “That’s almost one month per week!... I suppose it’s the trade off for getting to live so much longer...”

Chi Chi narrowed her eyes.

“How much longer?” she asked.

Goku shrugged, appearing hypnotized by Ninji’s sleepy yawn.

“I’m not sure exactly,” he replied. “A long time, though. I remember even Vegeta once said something about Saiyans having a longer life span.”

Chi Chi stared at him, stunned that he could just talk about it so casually. She had been painfully aware of her youthful appearance fading while his seemed to remain unchanged.... she should have known it was due to his race.

“I’m going to check supper,” she told him, hearing his quiet ‘okay’ in reply. She turned from the room and left him, quite painfully aware of feelings she had pushed away for many, many months. Some for years.

Goku was an alien.

Her sweet, strong, darling husband was from a planet far away and a culture far removed from her own. Even having grown up with humans could not drive the Saiyan out of him. Could she want it any other way? It was becoming difficult to remember what she wanted... She wanted his happiness, as well as she would want her own, at least in that she was certain. How to achieve that was a mystery. After all of the recent trials, however, those babies seemed to make him extremely happy.

The front door opened suddenly and Goten entered, leading his brother and sister-in-law.

“I’m home!” the teen announced with a smile, striding to his mother to kiss her on the cheek. “And right on time, too!” he laughed. “Before Gohan!”

Chi Chi gave her son a grim smile.

“We’ll talk later about what ‘punctual’ really means,” she admonished. “Go get washed up for dinner.”

Goten laughed.

“Yes, mom.”

Chi Chi’s eyes followed her child from the room, but her attention was drawn back to her present location when her eldest son, too, kissed her cheek.

“Good evening, Mother,” he said warmly. “How are you doing?”

“I’m well,” she responded, automatically. “Why don’t you all have a seat, and I will bring tea?”

“Can I go see the babies, Grandma?” Pan asked eagerly.

Chi Chi gave a patient smile.

“Not right now. But you can help me with the tea.”

Pan was visibly disappointed, but agreed. Goten returned to the living room and dropped himself into a chair.

“Well, I’ve registered for all of my classes,” he began to tell his brother. “I took ‘em all in the morning so I can keep my part time afternoon job. And party at night, of course!”

“I sure hope you plan some time for study and school work,” Gohan told him.

Chi Chi felt that nagging feeling return as she watched her boys from the dining room. Her perfect, beautiful sons... half Goku... half Saiyan...

She pressed a hand to her forehead, trying to ward off the ache that was growing there. She didn’t want to take an emotional inventory at this moment. She just wanted to enjoy a nice quiet evening with her family. She wanted to save these philosophical ponderings for later. Much later.

“Are you okay, Grandma?” Pan asked, noticing the far-away look on Chi Chi’s face.

“Oh yes, dear,” she replied. “I’m just wondering if I have everything on the tray.”

“We do,” Pan assured her. “You are probably thinking we forgot the cookies, but you never put them on the 'before supper' tray.” Chi Chi smiled.

“You’re right,” she said. “Can you take this into the living room for me?”

“Yep!”

Chi Chi watched her granddaughter lift the tray and carry it effortlessly. Taking a deep breath, she cleared her mind of her troubles and followed Pan into the next room.


~~~~~~~~~


Bulma snapped off the bathroom light as she moved into the bedroom. As she settled onto the bed, she kept her eyes on Vegeta who stood quietly by the balcony doors.

“It’s still early yet,” Bulma told him, picking up her lotion bottle from the night stand. “It’ll be a while before he calls... if he needs to. Come lie down for a bit.”

Vegeta turned from the doors and looked at his wife. She gave him a playful wink as she massaged lotion onto her skin.

“You could always help me with this,” she remarked.

The prince’s expression didn’t soften, but he did cross to her side and sit down on the bed.

“You look awfully tense,” she told him, placing the lotion back on the table. He shrugged but didn’t comment, leaning back against the headboard. “Poor thing,” Bulma purred, leaning her hands on his thighs and bending forward to kiss his lips. When she pulled away, he was smirking. She smiled. “Do you want to tell me about your day?” she asked.

Vegeta watched his wife as she ran her hands up his thighs, massaging the firm muscles beneath her hands.

“It was long,” he stated, lifting his eyes from her hands to her face. “And hard.”

Bulma gave a seductive grin, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

“Long and hard, hm?” she asked, licking her lips. “Sounds good to me.” She leaned in to kiss him again, melting against him as she felt his hand come to rest on her hip.

Vegeta returned his wife’s affectionate advances, but with less enthusiasm than she would normally receive. He didn’t want to start something he couldn’t finish.

Bulma was unfazed by his reluctance. She had the feeling his mind was divided between households at the present moment. She made a mental note to begin her advances earlier in the evening.

“Relax, baby,” she whispered. She watched him close his eyes and lean his head back against the headboard as her hand glided down the front of his shirt and over the taut muscles of his abdomen. She didn’t like the creases on his brow or the frown on his mouth. She wanted him to take a few moments for himself. Having spent the first week of his sons’ lives watching over them at night and training with his older children by day, she knew he'd had only one or two moments to rest. And although, at times, her husband was more like a machine than a mortal being, there was no reason she had to treat him like he didn’t need affection.

She continued to trail kisses across his cheek, returning her lips to his and kissing him deeply. He returned the kiss, bringing his hand up to cup the back of her head to keep the contact, but she could see his eyes dart to the clock on his bedside table.

Bulma sighed, leaning back to sit on her heels.

“Are you sure you don’t want to talk?” she asked. Vegeta gave a casual shrug.

“There is nothing to discuss. Unless, of course, you have something on your mind?”

She shook her head and settled at her husband’s side, slipping her arm around his waist and laying her head against his chest. Vegeta wrapped his arms around her and hugged her close. He laid a kiss on the top of her head before resting his cheek against her hair.

Bulma let a moment of silence pass between them as she listened to the beating of his heart. Vegeta glanced to the clock. It was just past ten. He felt a tug of guilt at having put her off and began to calculate his odds of successfully seeing to her sexual gratification and having time to take a shower before Kakkarot called.

Bulma interrupted his thoughts with a question.

“How many wives did your father have?” she asked.

Vegeta frowned.

“Excuse me?”

Bulma pulled back to look up at him.

“Your father. The king,” she repeated. “How many wives did he have?”

Vegeta’s relaxed expression changed back into one of tension.

“Only one,” he replied gruffly. “Why do you ask? Have you been talking with Kakkarot?”

Bulma’s eyes grew wide and her mouth twitched, not knowing whether to smile or open in shock.

“No, why?”

Vegeta narrowed his eyes at his wife’s strange behavior.

“Because I think I mentioned to him, when he was asking about Saiyan names, that kings often had more than one wife.”

“Oh.” Bulma settled back against him, returning her head to lay on his chest. “No, he didn’t mention that. It was something Daikkon was telling me...” She could feel, as well as hear, the irritated growl beneath her ear. “Anyway, so I was just curious... Did he have only one wife for a particular reason?”

Vegeta continued to frown, but he answered.

“I believe it was because he was still rather young,” he said flatly. “But my grandmother had three spouses... concurrently. My father was the first son of her first husband.”

Bulma thought about that, her hand idly tracing random patterns on Vegeta’s thigh.

“Did they all get along?” she asked.

“As far as I can recall... I was very young. I don’t see why they wouldn’t. They were equals....family.”

“So... what do you think about the custom?” she pressed. “Having more ‘spouses’?”

Vegeta grimaced at the thought.

“I have never been good at sharing,” he grumbled. “And you would probably suggest someone like that buffoon Yamucha...”

Bulma pulled away to turn and give him an amazed expression.

“Me?” she questioned. “You’re the prince!” Her husband didn’t look amused.

“Family heads were the most powerful. I would say you hold more power on this planet than I ever have. I would have to kill far too many to get these humans to bend to my will as easily as they do to yours.”

Bulma chuckled.

“I never thought about that,” she sighed. “But still, royalty is royalty. You are still more powerful in the universe.” Vegeta shrugged and pulled her back against him.

“Why concern yourself with such matters?” he asked.

“Well... I’m just... just trying to find a solution for our ‘family,’ that’s all...” she admitted. “One that works for everyone.”

Vegeta gave a snort of amusement.

“And you think... what?”

“Well, I think maybe there is something to the larger family unit that the Saiyans had. Having so many to look after each other and the children.”

“I think you are confusing community and family,” he replied. “You are speaking of a Saiyan marriage. One central spouse to which the others are joined. That is not appropriate in our situation. We will find a solution... one that will work for everyone...”

Bulma nodded, twisting her fingers in the fabric of his t-shirt as she thought.

“What about...” she began slowly. “What about asking Goku and Chi Chi to move in with us? At least for a little while? We have the space --”

“Are you insane, woman?!” he asked in irritation, pulling himself from beneath her to stand and answer the now ringing phone. “What?!”

“Um, hey Vegeta...” Goku replied in a nervous tone. “Am I disturbing you?”

“You are not,” the prince answered dryly, continuing to glare at his wife. “What is it?”

“Well... I hate to ask... but I’m awfully tired tonight for some reason, and I was wondering if you could... you know...”

“I will be there shortly,” Vegeta told him. He could hear the other Saiyan give a sigh of relief.

“Thanks, Vegeta.”

“There is no need for that. I will be but a moment.”

“Right. Bye.”

Vegeta turned off the phone.

“I guess this is the end of our conversation?” Bulma asked with a smile. He shrugged, picking up the pants he had worn that day and left folded beside the bed for this very purpose.

“I will return before morning,” he stated.

“Have fun,” she commented, lying down on the bed. “I’ll miss you.”

He responded with nothing more than a nod before picking up his shoes by the balcony doors and going outside.

“What on earth is that woman thinking?!” he asked himself. She had seriously confused the Saiyan family structure in her mind. And looking to the Saiyan culture would not be of any help. This situation was not common in any culture.

Vegeta had barely touched down outside the Son home when Goku opened the front door, greeting the prince with a grateful smile and a crying child.

“Come in,” Goku invited, motioning him inside. “I just got off the phone with Bulma.”

Vegeta raised an eyebrow as he walked past.

“Oh?”

“Yeah,” the taller Saiyan replied, shutting the door. “She said she forgot to say good night to you, so she asked me to say it...so... good night.”

Vegeta did not look amused.

“Good night, Kakkarot,” he replied dryly.

Goku chuckled, moving the blonde infant from his shoulder to his arm.

“Good night,” he returned with a sigh as he held the child out to his father. “Oh, and she wants to get together tomorrow -- the four of us -- to talk about our... situation...”

Vegeta paused, his hands not yet raised to take his son.

Did he just say ‘the four of us’?

“What?” he asked tightly.

Goku blushed.

“Um, good night?”

Vegeta sighed and took the child from Kakkarot’s hands.

“Make yourself at home,” Goku reminded him before heading for the stairs. He paused halfway up the staircase to turn back and look upon the prince and their child. Vegeta was situating the baby comfortably over one shoulder before covering him with the pastel yellow blanket.

Good night, Kakkarot,” he said in a tone that told Goku that he wanted to be alone.

“Good night,” Goku said for the final time, before heading upstairs to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Well, I hope ya'll liked this one. I am working on chapter 59 but it is giving me problems. I don't want to rush it but I hope to have it completed soon. *crosses fingers* Anyway, thanks for reading!!