Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Watching the Sun ❯ Watching the sun ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
I lay on my back, watching the sun, wondering where I'm going to go now... if there's any reason to go anywhere. It's relaxing here, even though my chest is starting to feel a little tight again. I don't mind, not really. Better that than... well... I don't really want to think about it. It really is very pleasant here. Everything is muted... sounds, light. There's a bluish-green tint to everything that's pretty soothing.

I sigh a little. Should I go back? There isn't anything to go back to, really, and it isn't like I haven't left before. I just never... I never felt like this before. My hand drifts to tenderly feel the bruised spot on my temple, the spot where I know my jaw is cracked. It moves on, tracing delicately over the broken ribs and bruised areas from my spar. Not that I'm not used to being hurt... I expect to come back battered from a spar. I just... didn't expect such a... strong reaction this time. She's been more and more moody... I think she thinks I should go back to being a good little human... get a job.

I didn't really like having a job though. I've made enough at the tournaments to keep us in supplies, and I supplement that with hunting and fishing. Don't like supermarket meat... not fresh enough. Why should I go back to like it was before I found out I was a Saiyan? Why should I go back to working at places I don't like just so we can seem to be a normal family? We aren't a normal family!

Do I have anything to go back to? The boys are grown... well, grown enough. I was on my own and doing fine when I was a lot younger than they are. And they've got their mother... they've always had their mother. I wasn't exactly around much after all. I missed so much of their lives... and I feel like I should regret that, but I don't. I never liked coming home from work, and having my son peek at me from behind his mother like I was a stranger, didn't like how she wouldn't let me train him... Piccolo did that. She never let me have the chance to be a father... and after I died... after I died... I guess I never was father material... maybe she was right not to let me try...

I didn't want to think about this! I move too quickly, clutch at my chest as my broken ribs protest, a gasp escaping me. I lay back, focusing my attention on the trees, trying to quell the raging pain in my chest and the dull throb of my headache. Maybe I should've grabbed the senzu on my way out after all. I'd forgotten to take one to my spar... and the extra injuries hadn't helped any.

Ugh, my chest is really hurting. I don't think I care anymore, though. I don't think I want to go back. I'm tired. I'm tired of being put down so often. I'm naive, not stupid. Not entirely stupid, anyway. I don't understand people all that well... spent too much time alone when I was little. I know right from wrong, and that's about all I'm really sure of. I like to spar... but I'm so sick of being a punching bag! I'm tired of hiding that it hurts... I'm just tired.

Too tired. I take a deep breath, my decision made. I'm not going back... ever again. I watch the sun, and breathe. My body objects, but I force it, watching the sun. I've always liked watching the sun from here... I like the way it looks through the trees, and how it reflects off the surface of the water above my head. It's beautiful.