Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Wherever You Will Go ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 15 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Epilogue

The blue-haired girl stared down at the tombstone that stood upright before her, tiny hands clutching onto the silent parents' to each side of her. She was not her usual chirpy self here. She never was when they came here every year. Somehow she sensed the somberness of the occasion, though her six-year-old mind did not know the reason for it.

She looked at first her mother beside her, her own blue hair shining in the afternoon sun, tears reflecting that same light into the child's eyes. Her attention was focused wholly on the grave before them and the freshly placed flowers on it.

She glanced to the other side then, at her stoic, dark-haired father. He also was staring solely at the grave, brows drawn over his eyes and shadowing them from the child. She did not wonder if he cried. Her daddy had never cried. He was strong that way.

She looked back at the grave and studied it intently, looking for some clue as to the reason they came here every year on this day. She could barely make out the words in big letters that stood out from the black marble: TRUNKS BRIEFS. She mouthed each word to herself and firmly resisted the urge to swing the hands holding hers. The air seemed taut even to her young senses.

Finally her dad moved first, swinging her up and into his arms to sit on his shoulders. She grinned as she tangled her fingers in her hair, confident that her father's grip on her ankles would not let her fall. Her mother turned and smiled softly at the sight of father and daughter together. "I'm going to go to the car now."

Her father grunted, "Be there in a second."

Bulma walked slowly and steadily to the car, her pose not betraying the sadness she felt; still felt. Vegeta silently sent her a stare of strength, as if he could communicate such through air alone. Perhaps it worked, for Bulma felt some of the grief lift and the smile widened into a grin that took in the whole bright, sunny world.

Vegeta turned back to the grave of his son, silently sending it a message of thanks in the same why he had sent the woman the strength. Since he knew where his son was, the message was sure to get through.

The tiny form on top of him shifted, "Daddy? Can I ask you something?"

His mouth quirked up at the tiny, high-pitched voice, "What?"

"Why do we come here every year? I mean, who's Trunks Briefs?"

Vegeta chuckled and started to the car after the woman, bouncing his daughter so that she squealed and gripped his hair tighter. "I think that's a question best answered by me and your mother, Bra."

As father and daughter walked to the car to finish the tale, another inscription on the tombstone was made visible. In an italic cursive handwriting, right underneath a picture of the purple-haired demi-Saiyan, were the words Bulma had shown Vegeta the morning after the night he had died. Trunks hadn't know at the time he wrote them how startlingly appropriate they would become:

'Sorry I didn't stay, but I guess I never said I would.'

A/N: (blows nose) Jeez! I'm sorry! That was so-sad! (wails)

Hey! My first B/V that is finished! Now, a challenge for all you who review! Go back and find one discrepancy in the story! lol I've found three. Or at least, three things I could've explained if it hadn't been four in the morning and I could barely keep the words from swimming on the computer screen.

Please, leave your email if you review. I have a nice surprise for those who review, a URL, not an attachment, but only if you review! ^_^

REVIEW!!!