Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Wish For The Past ❯ Spilled Beans - Almost ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: Trunks? Gohan? Help me out here. I'm too tired and can't think of what I'm supposed to say!
Trunks: Sure thing! Okay, everyone, listen up. The beautiful miss Brenda doesn't own DBZ.
Gohan: Nor does she own either of us. We just think she's really cute and like to help her out.
Brenda: *smiles* Thanks, guys.

Wish For The Past
(Spilled Beans - Almost)

Technically, Bardock was the most powerful adult in the room at the time. No one knew this but Bardock, of course, but somehow it still seemed to impress upon Bardock a feeling of being responsible for this whole mess. And with responsibility comes duty. It was his duty to put a stop to this before things got ugly.

"Kakarot," he emphasized the name Goten had been using, "Trunks, I think maybe we should save the reunion for another time." Damn it, he really wanted to just grab the two boys and run. "We are, after all, in the presence of the prince." That's it. Mollify the prince's pride and maybe he won't try to order anyone's death. If Goten was correct, Trunks was at least as powerful as his friend, if not more so. Kami, just what we need. Two super powerful demi-Saiyans.

"Hey, Goten, he looks like your dad! And why did he call you Kakarot? That's what- OW! What'd ya do that for?!"

Goten elbowed Trunks in the side again. "That is my dad, Trunks, and Kakarot is my Saiyan name, remember?" He scowled and tried to get the message across to his best friend. Come on, Trunks, you're gonna blow my story! Goten silently pleaded with the other boy.

"Oooh! Right! Kakarot! I remember now!" Trunks plastered a fake grin on his face, hoping to cover his confusion. Goten had to have a reason for wanting him to play along. The boys had gotten into trouble together, and separately, often enough to know when the other needed to lie for him. "Heh heh. Yep! My friend, Kakarot!"

Glaring suspiciously at the two boys, Vegeta folded his arms across his chest and scowled. Something about this kid bothered the prince. He looked familiar, somehow. "Would someone care to explain what's going on?" he growled. Both Goten and Trunks had to stifle a set of giggles. Hearing chibi Vegeta growl was funny! He couldn't growl nearly so well as his Mirai counterpart did. Fortunately for everyone concerned, they managed to hide their amusement from Vegeta.

Trunks looked at Goten, who looked at Bardock, who was looking at the both of them. Goten gulped, remembering all the things Trunks had just been saying. Dragonballs, Hell, Namek. How did he explain all that without telling anyone about the abilities of the dragonballs, or revealing that he and Trunks were from the future? Trunks didn't have a clue what to say because he didn't know what all was going on. Goten didn't know what to say because he didn't think he was smart enough to come up with a plausible set of lies. The two chibis exchanged another look and nodded. When in doubt...

"Run away!!!" they yelled in unison. Simultaneously, both Trunks and Goten blasted off and out the door of the throne room. Goten paused to grab hold of Bardock's arm and proceeded to fly after his friend at top speed. Bardock was literally swept off his feet and trailing in the air behind Goten, his mind struggling to catch up to what had just happened. The speeds at which they were traveling were almost too much for Bardock to physically handle, and it felt like his arm would be pulled out of its socket.

Within a few minutes, the trio was outside the city and in the middle of a forest. The boys slowed down and landed in a small clearing, automatically suppressing their ki. Years of experience had made it almost an instinct to hide their ki after making an escape. One never knew if one would be pursued, after all. Bardock collapsed to the forest floor, his heart racing wildly. The two friends fell to the ground, giggling madly.

"Hee hee, did you see the way my dad's eye twitched like that?"

Oh shit... I forgot. Trunks is Vegeta's son in the future. Bardock groaned and closed his eyes.

"Ha ha! I did! He looked just like the older Vegeta!"

"Except my dad's a lot scarier when he does that 'cause he's a lot more powerful."

"Yeah, hee hee."

"Hey, Goten... er.. Kakarot," Trunks lifted his head to look at his friend. "If we were stronger than everyone else there, why did we run?"

"Because we didn't want them to find out we're from the future! And we shouldn't tell them 'bout the dragonballs!" Goten rolled his eyes like this was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Why didn't you just lie?"

"I'm no good at lying, you know that, Trunks! And besides, you already told them about the dragonballs so we couldn't just not talk about 'em."

"If you'd just waited a minute," Bardock muttered from where he lay, "I might have been able to come up with something. Why the hell did you two decide to run? Now we'll all be hunted down and everyone will be trying to kill us. I don't care how powerful you boys are, I really would rather not be forced to spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder."

"Er... sorry, um... sir," Trunks apologized, looking at his feet.

"Bardock. I'm Goten's grandfather." The older Saiya-jin sat up and opened his eyes, taking in all the details of the newest addition to party. Besides the limp purple hair, he really did look like the young prince Vegeta.

"It's just that we always run when we get in trouble," Goten explained, grinning sheepishly. "Things usually get better after everyone's had a chance to forget about it."

"Except this time I don't think anyone will be 'forgetting about it' anytime soon," Bardock sighed. "You two really landed us in a load of trouble. Oh well, what's done is done, and all we can do about it now is try to figure a way to stay alive without killing everyone on the planet." Leaning against a tree, the warrior glanced at Trunks again, curiously. "In the mean time, why don't you tell us your story, Trunks? What did you mean when you said you thought Goten was in Hell? And how does someone look for someone else in Hell?"

Trunks took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. "Well, y'see, after Goten made his wish he just... disappeared. So I thought..." The conversation went on for long time as both boys took turns explaining what had happened to them since Goten had made his misinterpreted wish.

~*~

Despite the lack of visible expression on his face, just by looking at the massive Aisu-jin one could tell that he was furious. Standing up, he stepped over the bloody remains of the unfortunate messenger. He walked over to the large window that looked out into space. In his hand, the ever-present glass goblet half filled with dark red wine shattered into thousands of sparkling shards, glass and wine dripping down his clenched fist. King Cold ignored the mess.

"So someone thinks they can kill my son and get away with it?" he spoke softly. He didn't really care for his son that much, but this was a matter of pride here. A blow to the Cold family was a blow against Cold himself and therefore must not go unpunished. "Set a course for Vegeta-sei," he said, still speaking in a voice barely loud enough to be heard over the regular hum of the ship. "Those wretched monkeys probably got lucky when they managed to kill my son. They're probably sitting on the mudball of a planet they call home, laughing about their supposed victory. Well, we'll see who laughs last, now won't we?" A cruel smile graced the features of the father of the late-Frieza.

~*~

Goten's stomach growled loudly. "Dad, I'm hungry," he complained, still in the habit of calling Bardock 'dad'. "We didn't get to eat lunch 'cause Vegeta made us go to the palace and I'm starving!" As if on cue, the other two Saiyan stomachs present also added their voices to the argument that it was indeed time to eat.

"Well, we can't very well go back to my apartment," Bardock mused. "They'll probably have the place watched. Guess we'll just have to find food the old fashioned way!"

"No we don't," Trunks smirked. "Goten, remember that other wish you made? The one for lots of food for us to eat when you thought your grandpa would be brought to Earth?" Goten nodded. "Well, I packed all that food in some capsules! I have them with me, in my pocket."

"You do?!" the black haired chibi brightened visibly. He was literally dancing with glee as Trunks pulled out a capsule case and opened it. He pulled out one of the capsules within and held it up for inspection, grinning.

"Yep! It's right here! I made sure to pack lots of food 'cause you never know when you'll get hungry and there won't be any food around."

Bardock looked at the small, finger sized container. "It's a little small, isn't it?" he asked, skeptical.

"These are Hoi Poi Capsules," Trunks explained. "My mom and grandpa make them. Here, watch!" He pressed the button on the top of the capsule and gently tossed it onto the ground not far from them. When the smoke cleared, Bardock thought his jaw was going to drop off. How the hell did all that fit into that tiny little thing?!

"See?" the nine year old asked smugly. "Hoi Poi Capsules can carry just about anything. For instance, this one's a capsule house, and this one's another space ship - the one I used to get to Namek couldn't be capsulized, so I left it there - and this one here is a car... I packed lots of things, in case I would need them." Trunks held out one of the containers. Bardock looked at it with extreme interest.

"Ingenious," he murmured, holding it between his thumb and forefinger. He reluctantly handed it back to Trunks. He'd have to take a closer look later. Right now, though...

Goten had already started making a dent in the pile of food. Trunks and Bardock sat down and attacked the food with a will. It hadn't been as long for Trunks since he'd eaten, but he was a Saiyan. He could always eat more! With three hungry Saiya-jin working away at it, it didn't take long for the food to disappear. The three leaned back against a tree, a child on either side of Bardock, and let out contented sighs.

"You said you had a capsule with a space ship in it, Trunks?" Bardock asked, his mind in thought. "Would it be big enough for the three of us?"

"Oh, yeah," the purple topped kid nodded. "I would've use it instead of the other ship, but the other one was bigger and I was going to be on it for a whole week. I wanted to have as much room as possible. I hope my mom doesn't get mad that I left it on Namek."

Pausing to consider this, the warrior closed his eyes. "Well, we're wanted criminals all over the planet now, and we need to get you two back to where you belong, so why don't we use your ship to take us to Earth or Namek. We could gather the dragonballs and use the wish to send you back to the future."

"But I left my radar back at your home, grandpa!" Goten suddenly worried. "We can't find the dragonballs without the Dragon radar."

"It's okay, Goten," Trunks grinned. "I have mom's spare radar with me. How do you think I found the dragonballs on Namek?"

"You'd better not lose that one, Trunks, or your mom will be reeaally mad!"

"Yeah, right, like I'd lose the radar. It's the only way we can get home. Do you really think I'd do what you did and just leave it somewhere?"

A flush of embarrassment spread across Goten's cheeks. "It wasn't my fault! I left all my things there when the guards took us to the palace!"

"Hey, there's no need to argue about it," Bardock said, ruffling the hair on both boys' heads. "Why don't we get a good night's sleep and worry about getting off the planet in the morning? I know this forest fairly well, and I know there's a cave nearby that we can sleep in without worrying about being found."

I hope there are enough stray animals and Saiyans running around out in the wilderness so that scouters won't be able to pinpoint us. These two might be able to hide their ki, but I can't.... wait a second....

"Goten, Trunks, do you two think you might be able to teach me how to hide my ki?"

~*~

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter! Stay tuned to find out what happens to Bardock and the kids! Please review!