Fables/Fairytales Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction / Other Fan Fiction ❯ Witchers ❯ Preface ( Chapter -1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
The Witchers
You know the story of Faust, right? The man who supposedly sold his soul to the Devil to gain knowledge? Well the story is a bit more complicated than what people have been led to believe. Faust was a man unlike most. He learned things easily, and soon he grew bored of this mortal coil. He was brilliant, but his soul grew dark when he wife was taken from him. Seeing Faust's growing disillusion with life, the Devil decided to make a bargain with him. In exchange for knowledge of other worlds and things unimaginable, which would give him the power to bring his wife back, Faust would open a portal in the human world for the Devil. Like a fool, Faust agreed and upon opening that portal Hell was unleashed upon our planet. Creatures not unlike those from local lore began to emerge. Beasts that walked on all fours yet had the intelligence of humans, creatures that stalked the night, demons which ate the flesh of humans, these were but some of the monsters unleashed.


Faust gained the knowledge he had sought, but it came at a terrible price. He had to be punished for his sin against mankind. However, how does one punish a man like Faust who hated humanity so? Simple, God made him immortal. Faust would continue to live until all the creatures he had unleashed upon the world were sent back to the nether realm from whence they came. Of course, this was a daunting task for any man, even if that man was immortal. True, he now held the power of death, but his powers were so great that even the slightest misuse could destroy the human race.

It was for that reason that a decree was made. Any of those creatures that were released whom wished to escape damnation could help him hunt down their brethren and bring them divine justice. So it was that many monsters whom did not delight in carnage and gore became the muscle behind the operation to round up their own kind, but the monsters weren't the only ones to fight.

You see, there have been legends about creatures and demons since the beginning of time. Why, you ask? Well, that's simple; this is not the first time the portal has been opened. Throughout history people have sought power, glory, riches, and thus have made the same deal with the Devil; and throughout history humans with extraordinary abilities have risen up to help deal with these threats. Over the years the bloodlines and teachings of these people have faded into history, but even now there are a few that remain who still know of the sacred arts and have resurfaced to help the world once again

That is the true story of Faust, and how the Order of Witchers came to be. You might be curious as to how I know all this. Well, it's rather simple. You see, I'm a member.



Humans:


Priest:

Not to be confused with a pastor at church, these priests are trained in the art of destroying evil. Since they have no real power of their own they have to use items which represent God's power. Common items used are holy water, crosses, and stakes, however due to recent increases in technology they also have access to weaponry which channels holy power into blades and guns. Priests also have the keen ability to be able to remove a spirit that has possessed the body of someone else.

Priestess:

The priestess comes from the shores of Japan, and with that comes a long heritage of battling demons. Their holy powers allow them to create barriers and dispel evil with a touch. Given proper training, a priestess even possesses the ability to heal others which is a great asset in battle. Due to their Japanese heritage their weaponry generally varies from a yuri bow to a naginata, depending on where they were trained.

Necromancer:

Necromancers are natural conduits of spirits, able to command the dead to do their bidding. While essentially unethical in terms of their powers, being able to command skeletons to do ones bidding does come in handy from time to time. Those who work as a member of the Order are under strict orders not to damage living souls. Those that are already dead, however, are free game. A necromancers power varies depending on their skill meaning they can go from conjuring one undead servant from the bones of a fallen warrior to creating an army as long as there are enough bodies.

Bender:

Benders are people who are connected deeply to an element. Though keen understanding they are actually able to control their element and bend it to their will. Most benders are only able to control one of the four elements, being fire, water, earth, or air. However, there are the rare occasions when a bender possesses the ability to bend something such as lightning or metal to their will.

Hunter:

Hunter's are the muscle behind any operation. They are humans whose natural abilities are supercharged to near superhuman proportions. They can take more damage and deal more damage than an ordinary human. Their powers grant them greater muscle mass, increased speed and agility, as well as a decent healing factor. They generally tend to rely on sturdy proven weapons such as axes, swords, or even the occasional crossbow to kill minions of darkness.

Aion:

Aion's are natural conduits of energy. Their entire bodies emit an energy which is able to tear most things to sunder; however, their powers are extremely hard to control. It is for this reason that they bear mystical tattoos on their body which enable them to control and channel the power through their body. After their powers first manifest they begin to place more and more tattoos on themselves, allowing them greater access to their powers, however if they are not prepared for more power it may consume them. Thus most Aion prefer to use specialized sealing cards to channel their power. The uses of these cards vary from forming weapons, creating seals, or simply filling them with energy and tossing like a madman. The Aion's unique ability allows them to actually pull a soul from a body and absorb its power.

Shinigami:

There is only one Shinigami on earth at a time. For that past several hundred years Faust has held this position. The Shinigami is literally death incarnate. They are able to sever souls from bodies with a single swing of their scythe, and their powers if not contained are able to cause death with a simple touch. It is for that reason that Faust remains tethered to the spirit realm so that his powers do not cause further damage to the world.


Creatures:

Shifters:

Shifters are were the myth of werewolves come from, however not all shifters turn into wolves. A shifter has the unique ability to turn their body into anything; however they can only turn into one different form. A shifter who is several centuries old may be able to alter their body to a greater degree, though most are limited to the first form they choose. This form may be anything from a wolf to a dinosaur as long as they have the ability to maintain its shape. Their powers are in no way connected to the lunar cycle thus they are able to change at will.

Vampires:

Vampires are the deadliest monsters released right behind the Oni. They are the monsters which the other monsters fear. Possessing super human strength, unrivaled speed and reflexes, they are truly monsters. Though unlike in the stories they do not possess the power to shapeshift into numerous forms. Instead they are limited to a single form of their choosing.Drinking blood enables them to heal nearly any wounds and even regenerate lost limbs. Direct sunlight will not cause them to burst into flames, but it will weaken them and if they are young vampires it will cause their skin to burn.

Ghosts:

Ghost are much like you would expect. They are for the most part simple nuisances, though there is the rare occasion when a powerful ghost appears such as a poltergeist. A poltergeist is able to manifest itself in a solid form and its powers include everything from levitation, telekinesis, and ectoplasmic emission.

Oni:

They are demons in the purest extent. If you close your eyes and try to imagine what goes bump in the night it's probably one of them. The oni range from as small as mice to as large as skyscrapers. Their powers are just as diverse as is their appearance. They can look like true monsters or even almost appear human. Most are able to disguise their true appearance behind a human visage. A common trait amongst oni is their toughness and power, though some do possess unique traits which could be anything from command over plants, summoning fire, teleportation, or even telepathy.

Witches:

Witches are only as good as their spell book. This is simply due to the fact that when each witch is born a spell book is created especially for them. That book contains all the spells their ancestors have acquired over the years, but the spells only reveal themselves to the witch when she is ready for them. Since a witches appearance can be easily altered they can look like anything, which means it may be hard to gauge a witch’s power. They generally possess powers over the elements, telekinesis, summoning spells, and even transformation spells.

Elves:

These are not the elves that you read about in fantasy books. These elves will just as soon look as you as rip your flesh off. They possess dark skin and pale hair. They are generally very fast, agile, and perceptive with advanced reflexes. Possessing no magic, they often rely on their speed and sheer savagery to destroy their opponents.