Fake Fan Fiction ❯ I Forever Do ❯ Unit Meeting ( Chapter 14 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Unit Meeting. Dee hated those words. That meant having to sit with the guys while Rose and the Chief blabbered on about how the Homicide Unit needed to improve, how they were good for nothings…blah blah blah. Ryo however was such a suck up, always looking to aid the chief and Rose in what changes needed to be done to the department. Ryo always loved to help when he could during these meetings. To Dee it was such a waste of time.
 
But this meeting was different. A new development had come up in the serial murder/rapist case and everyone was anxious to find out what it was. When Rose and the Chief appeared in the conference room, the banter between the detectives came to a halt.
 
“Gentlemen.” Rose said wasting no time in getting into the heart of the meeting. “Last night another victim was found attacked. Same M.O. as all the rest. Unfortunately, this one also ended in murder. Detectives Adams and Parker responded to the scene so I'll leave the rest to them.”
 
He nodded to the two weary looking detectives who stood up.
 
“Okay guys.” Drake said. “This morning at 3am, 911 responded to a call from a frantic cabbie that had stopped when he saw someone running towards him. Thinking it was a potential passenger he pulled them over. However, the passenger was actually our victim trying to get help. The cabbie rushed her to the St. Mary's calling 911 on the way, but she died by the time she got on the table, acute blood loss due to a bullet to the chest.”
 
Drake took a tired breath, so JJ decided to continue.
 
“When we were called in this morning, Drake and I retraced the cabby's steps from where he picked up the victim. We backed up a little way's and were able to find an alleyway, perfect place for the suspect to attack. The alleyway connects to another street, so perp probably went one direction, she went the other.” After some scouring we were able to find the casing to the bullet that killed her.”
 
Drake took over.
 
“Obviously that has been taken to ballistics, but it looks to be a .45 roughly. But even better news, WE GOT EVIDENCE!!”
 
The detectives howled and clapped happily. Finally a bit of good news to this dead end case.
 
Drake smiled.
 
“WE GOT FIBERS AND WE GOT WHAT LOOKS TO BE SKIN CELLS THAT ARE NOT THE VICTIM'S! EVERYTHING IS DOWN IN FORENSICS FOR EXAMINATIONS! We will probably have results by this afternoon!”
 
“BUT!” Rose yelled interrupting the annoying howls. “That doesn't mean anything. Just because we finally have a little break doesn't lessen your workload. If anything it means we are going to be on top of this case 24/7. Now, we have rookies scouring the city day and night. We are starting to see a pattern here and it's unfortunate because it looks like our rapist has decided to graduate to murder which means that we have to move before he targets his next victim. At first it was subways and now it's the main streets.”
 
Drake pointed to a map of Manhattan that was hanging on a nearby wall. I t had been posted since the day the attacker had made his first hit. They had been thumb tacking each area he had struck to see if he was targeting a particular spot in the city.
 
“Like Commissioner Rose said, there is a pattern.” Drake motioned to the map. “If you guys see the colored thumbtacks there on the map you can see he hasn't strayed far from his first attack, on 17th, there isn't much we haven't already searched, so he's THERE somewhere or close by. Anyway, 17 are swamped with half a dozen different bars along with a subway entrance. So he probably lurks around there.”
 
The chief then took his turn.
 
“There are going to be stake outs assigned for everyone the next couple of nights. Ted and Marty you will take tonight, Drake and JJ will stake out tomorrow night and then Dee and Ryo will take the night after. We will also have rookies staked out at other areas nearby so none of us miss a spot this creep might try. Since we are nearing Halloween, the bars will probably be crawling with more partiers so keep your eyes peeled.”
 
“As for the rest of today…Rose said…Laytner and Maclean, I need the two of you to scour the databases today on anything we might have missed and then question the bar owners on 17th for anyone that may have seen our victims before they were attacked before your shift ends.”
 
“Yes sir.” Ryo said jotting down the notes.
 
“Good.” Rose said. “Drake and JJ, you two are free to go for the day since you two have been on shift since early this morning, but don't stray too far where we can't reach you. Marty and Ted, you two are also free to go to rest up for tonight as you will be starting at around 8pm, since that is usually when the bars start getting crowded. Report here at 6:30 for further instructions.”
 
“Yes sir.” The men said in unison.
 
Rose nodded.
 
“You all are free to go.”
 
The detectives gathered their things and left the conference room together.
 
“Glad that's over.” Drake said yawning. “Fuck I'm tired. I'm going home and straight to bed and not waking up until tomorrow.”
 
“Ditto on that one.” JJ said.
 
Dee snorted.
 
“Babies.” He said. “Quit yer whining. That's part of being a cop. No rest for the weary.”
 
“Dee shut up.” Drake said. “You weren't roused out of a nice deep sleep at 3:30 in the damn morning just to spend 2 hours with CSU, then at the hospital till 5, then back here to report to the chief then for the damn meeting. I've already put in a full day!”
 
Drake grumbled.
 
“Stupid call interrupted my hot dream of me with Penelope Cruz.”
 
Dee laughed.
 
“Like a babe that hot would date your sorry ass!”
 
Ryo rolled his eyes while the men play fought. He looked over to see that JJ was yawning. The dark circles under his eyes said that the young sniper didn't get much sleep before he had been called out to the crime scene.
 
“You look beat.” Ryo said. “Want me to grab you a cup of coffee before you go?”
JJ looked over at him surprised by his kindness. JJ always thought of Ryo as a rival whether it was vying for Dee's affections or just on the field where their sniping skills were compared. He often felt like an outcast compared to the Great Ryo.
 
But Ryo didn't rub it in his face though. Always modest and always complimenting his own skills, Ryo did think of JJ as an acquaintance in the least. Ryo didn't like hostility with the people he worked with. While Dee made it easy for people to hate him with his constant macho and often troublesome attitude, Ryo made it easy for people NOT to hate him with his quiet demeanor and kind heart. JJ however liked the bad boy that was Dee and immediately loved him from the start. But when Dee hooked up with Ryo and made it clear he wasn't letting go, the sniper felt like a piece of him was breaking. He tried to look at the bright side that at least Dee was happy and Ryo seemed like a decent guy, but still he couldn't help wishing Dee was with him instead of Ryo.
 
“JJ?” Ryo asked. “JJ? You okay?”
 
JJ realized he had be zoning out.
“Oh sorry.” He said. “Thanks on the coffee, but I'm good. I just want to shower and sleep.”
 
“Okay.” Ryo said with a nice smile.
 
JJ looked over at the arguing Drake and Dee.
 
“HEY DON'T GO KNOCKING MY EXES!” Drake yelled to Dee. “AT LEAST MINE AREN'T PSYCHO LIKE THAT LAST ONE OF YOUR'S WAS!”
 
“HEY TRISHA WAS NOT PSYCHO!” Dee yelled. “SHE WAS JUST….UNIQUE!”
 
“YEAH UNTIL SHE WAS ARRESTED FOR FRAUD!! DUDE THE GIRL HAD FOUR ALIASES!”
 
“THAT WAS NEVER PROVEN!”
 
“WAS TOO!”
 
“WAS NOT!”
 
Ryo laughed and JJ looked at him. He still couldn't understand what Dee saw in the honey blonde. Ryo was such a mouse compared to the lion that Dee was. JJ loved the aggressiveness that was Dee, but Ryo, he'd either blow up or cower under it. What the hell could Dee possibly love Ryo so much that he'd want to marry him. They were so different.
 
“FINE DRAKE.” Dee said. “BUT YOU KNOW I STILL HAD BETTER THAN YOU!!”
 
“OH REALLY!?” Drake said. “AND HOW IS THAT?”
 
Dee walked over to Ryo and put his arm around him.
 
“Because in the end, I ended up finding the one that I had been dreaming about my whole life…this one right here. I got the best that any man could ask for and I love him more than anything in this damn world.”
 
Dee looked warmly over at Ryo making him blush and making JJ's heart fall even more. Drake on the other hand just pretended to gag.
 
“I'm gonna go now.” JJ said sadly. “See ya tomorrow guys.”
 
The small sniper left the precinct being careful not to let anyone see his tears. When he got onto the street, he snuck away in an alley and cried his heart out. He knew that as much as he could try, Dee would never be his. He had found his soul mate and unfortantely for JJ…it wouldn't be him and it hurt worse than anything he'd felt before.
 
Suddenly, he felt a hand on his shoulder. He jerked up ready to fight, but stopped when he saw the tired eyes of Drake Parker looking down at him. Drake knew exactly by the tear stained face of JJ what was troubling him. He pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket.
 
“Here. I only used it once…” He said sheepishly.
 
JJ stared at him worriedly.
 
“Don't worry Adams.” He said. “I won't tell anyone.”
 
JJ nodded and blew his nose and cried a little more as much as he tried to fight it. Drake stood next to him and rubbed his back.
 
“Let it out JJ.” He said. “It's been a rough morning and you can't keep it bottled up.”
 
JJ didn't say anything as he sobbed some more as Drake continued to comfort him.
 
“It's gonna be okay kid.” Drake said kindly. “You'll find your dream.”
 
JJ nodded as he cried. Drake was right. He'll find his one true love. Maybe when he least expected it. Hell it happened for Ryo and Dee. It could happen for him….right?